• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Understanding Guru As Per Granth Sahib

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
WJKK, WJKF

I have a question here:-

Why do we take 95% of our time in defining terms
and intepreting the verses when the very verses
which were written are solely from personal experiences.
I think most forums do not even get close to a real satsang.

Now I expect someone to write a lorry load of explanation.
But this is not what I'm looking for.
Let's talk from personal experience.

SadeePuri

SPNer
Jul 8, 2008
Hope and desire are all Yours, O my Lord and Master. As You inspire hope, so are the hopes held.Nothing is in the hands of anyone, O my Lord and Master; such is the understanding the True Guru has given me to understand.
Honey Ji guess what I found out: sikhism.us is a restricted website at all public places-library in the City, my University Campus and my wife's work place. ah ha. All the other Sikh networks are available at all these places.

SadeePuri

SPNer
Jul 8, 2008
The quest to assign the meaning to the term 'Guru' as it appears in Granth Sahib shall be on and will be taken up as and when the need arises.I am specially thankful to honey22 and harsimransingh and sadeepuree etc.,harjas kaur khalsa and other friends for participating and I hope that continued guidance would be available from namjap and pk70 However, it is my firm belief that Guru nanak was not God;the Creator.
Congratulations on your firm belief Ji. This will be very nice of you if you dont say that this is every Sikh's beliefas you did in one of your previous posts- AS MY WHOLE CLAN-all are Sikhs(AmritDhari)- almost around 600+ people that I know and or related to, they say- Guru God Creator- one and the same No difference. "Brahmgyani aap Parmeshwar" ;Gur Parmeshwar nahi bhed" ;. Thanks a lot.

SadeePuri

SPNer
Jul 8, 2008
Why do we take 95% of our time in defining terms and intepreting the verses when the very verses which were written are solely from personal experiences.I think most forums do not even get close to a real satsang.Now I expect someone to write a lorry load of explanation. But this is not what I'm looking for. Let's talk from personal experience.
One Saints's personal experience is not different from another. Mother Terraca used to say the same things about God Experience as it is written in BabaJi. By the way, this is my personal experience, I have talked to Her several times on this, all her conversation about God was always similar to Gurbani. Nothing She ever said to me was in contradiction to BabaJi. "Gurbani Gavo Bhai O Safal Sada Sukhdai" I tried to be as brief as possible, dear namjap Ji. I hope you dont mind it, as I quoted BabaJi.

Honey22

SPNer
Jun 30, 2008
One Saints's personal experience is not different from another. Mother Terraca used to say the same things about God Experience as it is written in BabaJi. By the way, this is my personal experience, I have talked to Her several times on this, all her conversation about God was always similar to Gurbani. Nothing She ever said to me was in contradiction to BabaJi. "Gurbani Gavo Bhai O Safal Sada Sukhdai"

:happy:I have met Sant Singh Ji Maskeen so many times, (by all means I consider Him a Saint), I cant even recall how many times, everytime He said anything about God, was never anything that was in contradiction to Dhan Guru Granth Sahib ji. All the same. :happy:

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
The other major attributes of the Creator is saibhung i.e. self existent .
Some of other qualities of the Creator are given below.
Most of the attributes are as stated by Guru Nanak dev ji.

One of the new term employed herein is 'True Creator Lord' .
The term appears superfluous. It can be True Lord or true Creator.

hY BI hosI jwie n jwsI scw isrjxhwro ]3] (24-11, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)

The True Creator Lord is, and shall always be. He was not born; He shall not die. ||3||

Omnipresent

qU BrpUir jwinAw mY dUir ] (25-8, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)

You are present everywhere. I had thought that You were far away.

He is everything

Awpy nyVY dUir Awpy hI Awpy mMiJ imAwnuo ] (25-10, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)
He Himself is near, and He Himself is far away; He Himself is in-between.

Awpy vyKY suxy Awpy hI kudriq kry jhwnuo ] (25-10, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)
He Himself beholds, and He Himself listens. By His Creative Power, He created the world.

jo iqsu BwvY nwnkw hukmu soeI prvwnuo ]4]31] (25-11, isrIrwgu, mÚ 1)
Whatever pleases Him, O Nanak-that Command is acceptable.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand

siqguru vyprvwhu isrMdw ]
(1024-8, mwrU, mÚ 1)
The True Guru is the Creator Lord, independent and carefree.

nw jm kwix n CMdw bMdw ]
(1024-8, mwrU, mÚ 1)
He does not fear death, and He is not dependent on mortal men.

jo iqsu syvy so AibnwsI nw iqsu kwlu sMqweI hy ]14]
(1024-8, mwrU, mÚ 1)
Whoever serves Him becomes immortal and imperishable, and will not be tortured by death. ||14||

gur mih Awpu riKAw krqwry ]
(1024-9, mwrU, mÚ 1)
The Creator Lord has enshrined Himself within the Guru.

The meaning is self-explanatory and needs no explanation or discussion. I put this search/research to rest for some time.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
nwnk hir jip hir mn myry hir myly mylxhwrw hy ]17]3]9] (1030-1, mwrU, mÚ 1)
Nanak: chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, O my mind; the Lord, the Uniter, shall unite you with Himself. ||17||3||9||

-

[/FONT]

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
hir hir nwmu jphu rsu mITw ] (1030-5, mwrU, mÚ 1)
Chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har, the sweetest essence.

gurmuiK hir rsu AMqir fITw ] (1030-5, mwrU, mÚ 1)
As Gurmukh, see the essence of the Lord deep within.

Aihinis rwm rhhu rMig rwqy eyhu jpu qpu sMjmu swrw hy ]3] (1030-5, mwrU, mÚ 1)
Day and night, remain imbued with the Lord's Love. This is the essence of all chanting, deep meditation and self-discipline. ||3||

rwm nwmu gur bcnI bolhu ] (1030-6, mwrU, mÚ 1)
Speak the Guru's Word, and the Name of the Lord.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
iqs mih rwm rqnu lY cInI ] (1030-10, mwrU, mÚ 1)
Know that the Lord's jewel is within it.

Awqm rwmu rwmu hY Awqm hir pweIAY sbid vIcwrw hy ]7] (1030-10, mwrU, mÚ 1)
The soul is the Lord, and the Lord is the soul; contemplating the Shabad, the Lord is found. ||7||

After a reasonable enquiry and introspection of the bani the essence is the soul that is to be realized by the self by practising naam and by leading a truthful life.God is within all of us in the form of the Naam and the soul .Both are within our body.It is the understanding that I have got after churning through the pages.His devotional love is the ultimate. This is the path to self realization.Whatever meaning we may assign to guru or satguru ,ultimately it has to be looked as per the text and the context.
[/FONT]

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
imho..Gurbani uses all these words interchangeably....all point towards AKAL PURAKH.
Here is a 2 pagewrite up by my friend sardar devinder singh of Australia on the word SANT

Gyani jarnail Singh

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
imho..Gurbani uses all these words interchangeably....all point towards AKAL PURAKH.
Here is a 2 pagewrite up by my friend sardar devinder singh of Australia on the word SANT

Gyani jarnail Singh

suK duK hI qy Amru AqIqw gurmuiKinj Gru pwiedw ]8]
(1037-19, mwrU, mÚ 1)
The Gurmukh is immortal, untouched by pleasure and pain. He obtains the home of his own inner being. ||8||[/FONT]

The beautiful Article referred to above is pasted/posted below.It may be of interest to some other members and with this Article I deem to have come to a self derived reasonable conclusion to state as to what is the 'reality and the essence'.

The single line as above is indicative to almost everything that is one has to realize. It is the same self consciousness that is a part of the overall consciousness or the Super consciousness that is also formless,invisible and cannot be seen but has to be realized by leading a truthful life and that includes as to how to be a Sachiara that would lead to being an Equipoised with a still mind.
All other methods are suggested to achieve this state of affairs. It is only practice Of Naam and HIs Grace that matters in the long run.

Thank you very much Gyani Sahib ji for this wonderful Article and regards to all.

Following are some of other Guru Vaaks along with the commentary of Dr. Sahib Singh ji.

ਮਾਰੂ ਮਹਲਾ ਦਖਣੀ
ਕਾਇਆ ਨਗਰੁ ਨਗਰ ਗੜ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਸਾਚਾ ਵਾਸਾ ਪੁਰਿ ਗਗਨੰਦਰਿ ਅਸਥਿਰੁ ਥਾਨੁ ਸਦਾ ਨਿਰਮਾਇਲੁ ਆਪੇ ਆਪੁ ਉਪਾਇਦਾ ॥੧॥

(ਲੋਕ ਆਪਣੇ ਵੱਸਣ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਸ਼ਹਿਰ ਵਸਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ ਤੇ ਰਾਖੀ ਵਾਸਤੇ ਕਿਲ੍ਹੇ ਬਣਾਂਦੇ ਹਨ, ਇਹਨਾਂ) ਸ਼ਹਿਰਾਂ ਤੇ ਕਿਲਿ੍ਹਆਂ (ਦੀ ਗਿਣਤੀ) ਵਿਚ (ਮਨੁੱਖਾ) ਸਰੀਰ ਭੀ ਇਕ ਸ਼ਹਿਰ ਹੈ (ਇਹ ਸ਼ਹਿਰ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਨੇ ਆਪਣੇ ਵੱਸਣ ਲਈ ਵਸਾਇਆ ਹੈ), ਇਸ ਸ਼ਹਿਰ ਵਿਚ ਇਸ ਦੇ ਦਸਮ ਦੁਆਰ ਵਿਚ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਸਦਾ-ਥਿਰ ਨਿਵਾਸ ਹੈ। ਉਹ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਪਵਿਤ੍ਰ-ਸਰੂਪ ਹੈ, ਉਸ ਦਾ ਟਿਕਾਣਾ ਸਦਾ ਕਾਇਮ ਰਹਿਣ ਵਾਲਾ ਹੈ, ਉਹ ਆਪ ਹੀ ਆਪਣੇ ਆਪ ਨੂੰ (ਸਰੀਰਾਂ ਦੇ ਰੂਪ ਵਿਚ) ਪਰਗਟ ਕਰਦਾ ਹੈ।੧। ❀ ਨੋਟ: 'ਮਾਰੂ ਦਖਣੀ' ਇਕ ਦਖਣੀ ਕਿਸਮ ਦੀ ਮਾਰੂ ਰਾਗਣੀ।

ਅੰਦਰਿ ਕੋਟ ਛਜੇ ਹਟਨਾਲੇ ਆਪੇ ਲੇਵੈ ਵਸਤੁ ਸਮਾਲੇ ਬਜਰ ਕਪਾਟ ਜੜੇ ਜੜਿ ਜਾਣੈ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦੀ ਖੋਲਾਇਦਾ ॥੨॥

ਇਸ (ਸਰੀਰ-) ਕਿਲ੍ਹੇ ਦੇ ਅੰਦਰ ਹੀ, ਮਾਨੋ, ਛੱਜੇ ਤੇ ਬਾਜ਼ਾਰ ਹਨ ਜਿਨ੍ਹਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਆਪ ਹੀ ਸੌਦਾ ਖ਼ਰੀਦਦਾ ਹੈ ਤੇ ਸਾਂਭਦਾ ਹੈ। (ਮਾਇਆ ਦੇ ਮੋਹ ਦੇ) ਕਰੜੇ ਕਵਾੜ ਭੀ ਅੰਦਰ ਜੜੇ ਪਏ ਹਨ, ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਆਪ ਹੀ ਇਹ ਕਵਾੜ ਬੰਦ ਕਰਨੇ ਜਾਣਦਾ ਹੈ ਤੇ ਆਪ ਹੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਦੇ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਵਿਚ (ਜੀਵ ਨੂੰ ਜੋੜ ਕੇ ਕਵਾੜ) ਖੁਲ੍ਹਾ ਦੇਂਦਾ ਹੈ।੨।

ਭੀਤਰਿ ਕੋਟ ਗੁਫਾ ਘਰ ਜਾਈ ਨਉ ਘਰ ਥਾਪੇ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਰਜਾਈ ਦਸਵੈ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਅਲੇਖੁ ਅਪਾਰੀ ਆਪੇ ਅਲਖੁ ਲਖਾਇਦਾ ॥੩॥

ਇਸ (ਸਰੀਰ) ਕਿਲ੍ਹੇ ਗੁਫ਼ਾ ਵਿਚ ਪਰਮਾਤਮਾ ਦੀ ਰਿਹੈਸ਼ ਦਾ ਥਾਂ ਹੈ। ਰਜ਼ਾ ਦੇ ਮਾਲਕ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਨੇ ਆਪਣੇ ਹੁਕਮ ਵਿਚ ਹੀ (ਇਸ ਕਿਲ੍ਹੇ ਵਿਚ) ਨੌ ਘਰ ਬਣਾ ਦਿੱਤੇ ਹਨ (ਜੋ ਪਰੱਤਖ ਦਿਸਦੇ ਹਨ)। ਦਸਵੇਂ ਘਰ ਵਿਚ (ਜੋ ਗੁਪਤ ਹੈ) ਸਰਬ-ਵਿਆਪਕ ਲੇਖੇ ਤੋਂ ਰਹਿਤ ਤੇ ਬੇਅੰਤ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਆਪ ਵੱਸਦਾ ਹੈ। ਉਹ ਅਦ੍ਰਿਸ਼ਟ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਆਪ ਹੀ ਆਪਣੇ ਆਪ ਦਾ ਦਰਸ਼ਨ ਕਰਾਂਦਾ ਹੈ।੩।

Conclusion drawn from the Thread so far..

One cannot standardize the various terms employed in the Granth sahib. One shall get the blessings when He so wills.

Wjkk WjkF
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The Article as stated above is reproduced below:[/FONT]

Understanding the Gurbani’s term of ‘Sant’[/FONT]

Devinder Singh dmsingh65@yahoo.com.au Page 1 of 2

To understand the Gurbani’s term of Sant[/FONT], its important we refresh in our minds and thoughts the fundamental concept of Sikh faith, which Guru Nanak [/FONT]has given us on the opening page of Guru Granth Sahib [/FONT]and that is:

< - meaning One Akalpurakh, the Creator who is AjUnI , that Supreme Creator who does not take the life form like other humans. This is a concept of Sikh-Gurmat thought that a Sikh must know, remember and practise all times in thoughts and prayers.
All of the Gurbani [/FONT]enshrined in Guru Granth Sahib [/FONT]describes the attributes & qualities of AkalPurakh[/FONT], gives us information about AkalPurakh and guides us towards the path of realising

AkalPurakh[/FONT], like the following Gurbani [/FONT]quotes:

swihbu myrw eyko hY ] eyko hY BweI eyko hY ]1] rhwau ] (mÚ 1, pg 350)
rUpu n ryK n rMgu ikCu iqRhu gux qy pRB iBMn ] (mÚ 5, pg 283)
pUjhu rwmu eyku hI dyvw ] (Bgq kbIr jI, pg 484)
prmysr qy BuilAW ivAwpin sBy rog ] (mÚ 5, pg 135)

And to realise AkalPurakh[/FONT], one need not climb mountains, live in caves or undertake pilgrimages:

khu nwnk mY vru Gir pwieAw myry lwQy jI sgl ivsUry ]4]1] (mÚ 5, pg 577)
Git Git riv rihAw sB QweI pUrn purKu ibDwqw ] (mÚ 5, pg 453)

And we also know through Gurbani that AkalPurakh has been called by numerous names such as: har, ram[/FONT], govind, mohan, pritam, sajan, thakur, satguru, gur.[/FONT]

Now let’s explore Gurbani to know how the term Sant [/FONT]has been used: On page 476 of
Guru Granth Sahib, Kabir ji [/FONT]says:

hmro Brqw bfo ibbykI Awpy sMqu khwvY ] Ehu hmwrY mwQY kwiemu Aauru hmrY inkit n AwvY ]

On page 174, Guru Ram Das ji defines Sant [/FONT]as:

mY mylhu sMq myrw hir pRBu sjxu mY min qin BuK lgweIAw jIau ]
Guru Arjan ji also explains and describes Sant [/FONT]:
nwm kI mihmw sMq ird vsY ] sMq pRqwip durqu sBu nsY ]
sMq kw sMgu vfBwgI pweIAY ] sMq kI syvw nwmu iDAweIAY ] (mÚ 5, pg 265)
In simple Punjabi written hundreds of years ago, Gurbani [/FONT]calls AkalPurakh [/FONT]as Sant [/FONT]and this Sant[/FONT]
comes and resides in mind, body and heart. And Guru Sahib [/FONT]tells us about bani [/FONT]as:
siqgur kI bwxI siq siq kir jwxhu gurisKhu hir krqw Awip muhhu kFwey ] (mÚ 4, pg 308)
iekw bwxI ieku guru ieko sbdu vIcwir ] (mÚ 3, pg 646)
And Sikh history is testimony to the fact that the word Sant [/FONT]was never used as a title for Gursikhs.

Though the Gurbani quotes shown above clearly define that the Sant [/FONT]for a Sikh is AkalPurakh[/FONT], letsexplore some other Gurbani [/FONT]quotes to substantiate this:

sMq srin jo jnu prY so jnu auDrnhwr ] (mÚ 5, pg 279)
jIA jMqR siB iqs ky kIey soeI sMq shweI ] (mÚ 5, pg 621)
sMq kw mwrgu Drm kI pauVI ko vfBwgI pwey ] (mÚ 5, pg 622)
sMq sMig AMqir pRBu fITw ] (mÚ 5, pg 293)
sMq mMfl kw nhI ibnwsu ] sMq mMfl mih hir guxqwsu ]
sMq mMfl Twkur ibsRwmu ] nwnk Eiq poiq Bgvwnu ] (mÚ 5, pg 1146)

Gurus’ bani gives a respectful title to Gursikhs but there the word Sant [/FONT]is used in a plural context:

sMqhu rwm nwim insqrIAY ] (mÚ 5, pg 621)
[ BweI ry rwmu khhu icqu lwie ] (mÚ 1, pg 22) ]
swDo mn kw mwnu iqAwgau ] (mÚ 9, pg 219)

In the light of these Gurbani quotes, to bestow the title of Sant [/FONT]to anyone or for any Sikh to use this title is turning one’s back to Gurbani[/FONT].
Anecdotal evidence in the panth [/FONT]does tell us that Sikhs go to so-called Sant-Babe [/FONT]at times of pain, misery or fulfilment of wishes & desires. Here also Gurus’ bani guides us:

AicMq kMm krih pRB iqn ky ijn hir kw nwmu ipAwrw ] (mÚ 3, pg 638)
aupdyis gurU hir hir jpu jwpY siB iklivK pwp doK lih jwvY ] (mÚ 4, pg 305)
koeI puqu isKu syvw kry siqgurU kI iqsu kwrj siB svwry ]
jo ieCY so Plu pwiesI puqu Dnu lKmI KiV myly hir insqwry ] (mÚ 4, pg 307)

When one takes khande ki pahul[/FONT], as a Sikh you are making a commitment to abide by:

Bgiq BMfwr gurbwxI lwl ] gwvq sunq kmwvq inhwl ] (mÚ 5, pg 376)

And Gurbani [/FONT]also tells us:

ffw fyrw iehu nhI jh fyrw qh jwnu ] auAw fyrw kw sMjmo gur kY sbid pCwnu ]
ieAw fyrw kau sRmu kir GwlY ] jw kw qsU nhI sMig cwlY ]
auAw fyrw kI so imiq jwnY ] jw kau idRsit pUrn BgvwnY ] (mÚ 5, pg 256)

I take leave of the thread. One may carry out further,if required. I think it is time to practice now.

Last edited by a moderator:

SadeePuri

SPNer
Jul 8, 2008
Understanding Guru As per Granth Sahib

Contributing my research worth a penny. This lowliest worm is going to see how many times BabaJi(SGGS Ji) is telling us literaly that:
Only One and only One.
The Only Truth.
All is God.
There is no second.
God and Guru is One and the same.
God is Guru and Guru is God.
A Saint is God Himself.

All the above points of this truth make it clear that Guru is God-nothing else, as there is nothing else or a second one. This also makes it concrete why a Sikh (like this lowliest worm-Sadeep Puri) believes that Guru is God-the Creator.

Please Note: There is not even a single time when BabaJi indicates that Guru is NOT God:yes::yes:- not even a single time:cool:.

Research is going to be done page by page and the above mentioned points will be colored red and bold.

Research is inspired by Sikh80 Ji's following words:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikh80
One the important attributes Of the Lord is that He created Himself and this none else is capable of and that includes our Guru sahibs and other mortals. It is just to point out that Guru Sahibaan came here as ordinary human beings and made themselves so high that sikhs even to date worship them literally and treat them as God but that does not make them the Creator.Each

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikh80
[URL="http://www.sikhism.us/"]Sikh[/URL] is clear about this.Yes, there are few lines in the Granth sahib that states directly or indirectly that one should not find difference between Guru and God. However, one should not forget that Supreme status of eternal Guru is that of The Lord , the Creator and causes of all Causes. It is due to the respect that the Bhatts and Balwant and sat had called them almost equal to Lord. It is sheer out of pure love and adoration that it has been done and may be we also do like wise but without getting lost as to who is the Ultimate Guru or satguru. He is that HE is and was and shall be.

He says 'Each Sikh'. I am Sikh too and know hundreds of other Sikhs who believe: Guru Parmesar Nahi Bhed(there is no difference between Guru and God).

BabaJi says the Truth about Guru God and All--- to be the same and One:

Starting Panna#1

ੴ ਸਤਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਕਰਤਾ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ ਅਕਾਲ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਅਜੂਨੀ ਸੈਭੰ ਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥
ikoankaar sathnaam karathaa purakh nirabho niravair akaal moorath ajoonee saibhan gurprasaadh||
One Universal Creator God. TheName Is Truth.CreativeBeingPersonified. NoFear. No Hatred. Image Of The Undying, Beyond Birth, Self-Existent. By Guru's Grace~
1 Moolmantar GuruNanakDev

ਜਪੁ ॥
|| jap ||
Chant And Meditate
3 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਆਦਿ ਸਚੁ ਜੁਗਾਦਿ ਸਚੁ ॥
aadh sach jugaadh sach ||
True In The Primal Beginning. True Throughout The Ages.
4 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਹੈ ਭੀ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਹੋਸੀ ਭੀ ਸਚੁ ॥੧॥
hai bhee sach naanak hosee bhee sach ||1||
True Here And Now. O Nanak, Forever And Ever True. ||1||
4 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸੋਚੈ ਸੋਚਿ ਨ ਹੋਵਈ ਜੇ ਸੋਚੀ ਲਖ ਵਾਰ ॥
sochai soch n hovee jae sochee lakh vaar ||
By thinking, He cannot be reduced to thought, even by thinking hundreds of thousands of times.
5 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਚੁਪੈ ਚੁਪ ਨ ਹੋਵਈ ਜੇ ਲਾਇ ਰਹਾ ਲਿਵ ਤਾਰ ॥
chupai chup n hovee jae laae rehaa liv thaar ||
By remaining silent, inner silence is not obtained, even by remaining lovingly absorbed deep within.
5 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਭੁਖਿਆ ਭੁਖ ਨ ਉਤਰੀ ਜੇ ਬੰਨਾ ਪੁਰੀਆ ਭਾਰ ॥
bhukhiaa bhukh n outharee jae bannaa pureeaa bhaar ||
The hunger of the hungry is not appeased, even by piling up loads of worldly goods.
5 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸਹਸ ਸਿਆਣਪਾ ਲਖ ਹੋਹਿ ਤ ਇਕ ਨ ਚਲੈ ਨਾਲਿ ॥
sehas siaanapaa lakh hohi th eik n chalai naal ||
Hundreds of thousands of clever tricks, but not even one of them will go along with you in the end.
6 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਕਿਵ ਸਚਿਆਰਾ ਹੋਈਐ ਕਿਵ ਕੂੜੈ ਤੁਟੈ ਪਾਲਿ ॥
kiv sachiaaraa hoeeai kiv koorrai thuttai paal ||
So how can you become truthful? And how can the veil of illusion be torn away?
6 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਹੁਕਮਿ ਰਜਾਈ ਚਲਣਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਨਾਲਿ ॥੧॥
hukam rajaaee chalanaa naanak likhiaa naal ||1||
O Nanak, it is written that you shall obey the Hukam of His Command, and walk in the Way of His Will. ||1||
7 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਹੁਕਮੀ ਹੋਵਨਿ ਆਕਾਰ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਨ ਕਹਿਆ ਜਾਈ ॥
hukamee hovan aakaar hukam n kehiaa jaaee ||
By His Command, bodies are created; His Command cannot be described.
7 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਹੁਕਮੀ ਹੋਵਨਿ ਜੀਅ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਮਿਲੈ ਵਡਿਆਈ ॥
hukamee hovan jeea hukam milai vaddiaaee ||
By His Command, souls come into being; by His Command, glory and greatness are obtained.
8 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਹੁਕਮੀ ਉਤਮੁ ਨੀਚੁ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਲਿਖਿ ਦੁਖ ਸੁਖ ਪਾਈਅਹਿ ॥
hukamee outham neech hukam likh dhukh sukh paaeeahi ||
By His Command, some are high and some are low; by His Written Command, pain and pleasure are obtained.
8 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਇਕਨਾ ਹੁਕਮੀ ਬਖਸੀਸ ਇਕਿ ਹੁਕਮੀ ਸਦਾ ਭਵਾਈਅਹਿ ॥
eikanaa hukamee bakhasees eik hukamee sadhaa bhavaaeeahi ||
Some, by His Command, are blessed and forgiven; others, by His Command, wander aimlessly forever.
9 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਹੁਕਮੈ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਹੁਕਮ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥
hukamai andhar sabh ko baahar hukam n koe ||
Everyone is subject to His Command; no one is beyond His Command.
9 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਨਾਨਕ ਹੁਕਮੈ ਜੇ ਬੁਝੈ ਤ ਹਉਮੈ ਕਹੈ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥੨॥
naanak hukamai jae bujhai th houmai kehai n koe ||2||
O Nanak, one who understands His Command, does not speak in ego. ||2||
10 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਗਾਵੈ ਕੋ ਤਾਣੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਕਿਸੈ ਤਾਣੁ ॥
gaavai ko thaan hovai kisai thaan ||
Some sing of His Power-who has that Power?
10 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਗਾਵੈ ਕੋ ਦਾਤਿ ਜਾਣੈ ਨੀਸਾਣੁ ॥
gaavai ko dhaath jaanai neesaan ||
Some sing of His Gifts, and know His Sign and Insignia.
11 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਗਾਵੈ ਕੋ ਗੁਣ ਵਡਿਆਈਆ ਚਾਰ ॥
gaavai ko gun vaddiaaeeaa chaar ||
Some sing of His Glorious Virtues, Greatness and Beauty.
11 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਗਾਵੈ ਕੋ ਵਿਦਿਆ ਵਿਖਮੁ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥
gaavai ko vidhiaa vikham veechaar ||
Some sing of knowledge obtained of Him, through difficult philosophical studies.
11 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਗਾਵੈ ਕੋ ਸਾਜਿ ਕਰੇ ਤਨੁ ਖੇਹ ॥
gaavai ko saaj karae than khaeh ||
Some sing that He fashions the body, and then again reduces it to dust.
12 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਗਾਵੈ ਕੋ ਜੀਅ ਲੈ ਫਿਰਿ ਦੇਹ ॥
gaavai ko jeea lai fir dhaeh ||
Some sing that He takes life away, and then again restores it.
12 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਗਾਵੈ ਕੋ ਜਾਪੈ ਦਿਸੈ ਦੂਰਿ ॥
gaavai ko jaapai dhisai dhoor ||
Some sing that He seems so very far away.
12 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

Panna # 2

ਗਾਵੈ ਕੋ ਵੇਖੈ ਹਾਦਰਾ ਹਦੂਰਿ ॥
gaavai ko vaekhai haadharaa hadhoor ||
Some sing that He watches over us, face to face, ever-present.
1 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਕਥਨਾ ਕਥੀ ਨ ਆਵੈ ਤੋਟਿ ॥
kathhanaa kathhee n aavai thott ||
There is no shortage of those who preach and teach.
1 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਕਥਿ ਕਥਿ ਕਥੀ ਕੋਟੀ ਕੋਟਿ ਕੋਟਿ ॥
kathh kathh kathhee kottee kott kott ||
Millions upon millions offer millions of sermons and stories.
1 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਦੇਦਾ ਦੇ ਲੈਦੇ ਥਕਿ ਪਾਹਿ ॥
dhaedhaa dhae laidhae thhak paahi ||
The Great Giver keeps on giving, while those who receive grow weary of receiving.
2 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਜੁਗਾ ਜੁਗੰਤਰਿ ਖਾਹੀ ਖਾਹਿ ॥
jugaa juganthar khaahee khaahi ||
Throughout the ages, consumers consume.
2 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਹੁਕਮੀ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਚਲਾਏ ਰਾਹੁ ॥
hukamee hukam chalaaeae raahu ||
The Commander, by His Command, leads us to walk on the Path.
2 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਨਾਨਕ ਵਿਗਸੈ ਵੇਪਰਵਾਹੁ ॥੩॥
naanak vigasai vaeparavaahu ||3||
O Nanak, He blossoms forth, Carefree and Untroubled. ||3||
3 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸਾਚਾ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਸਾਚੁ ਨਾਇ ਭਾਖਿਆ ਭਾਉ ਅਪਾਰੁ ॥
saachaa saahib saach naae bhaakhiaa bhaao apaar ||
True is the Master, True is His Name-speak it with infinite love.
3 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਆਖਹਿ ਮੰਗਹਿ ਦੇਹਿ ਦੇਹਿ ਦਾਤਿ ਕਰੇ ਦਾਤਾਰੁ ॥
aakhehi mangehi dhaehi dhaehi dhaath karae dhaathaar ||
People beg and pray, ""Give to us, give to us"", and the Great Giver gives His Gifts.
3 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਫੇਰਿ ਕਿ ਅਗੈ ਰਖੀਐ ਜਿਤੁ ਦਿਸੈ ਦਰਬਾਰੁ ॥
faer k agai rakheeai jith dhisai dharabaar ||
So what offering can we place before Him, by which we might see the Darbaar of His Court?
4 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਮੁਹੌ ਕਿ ਬੋਲਣੁ ਬੋਲੀਐ ਜਿਤੁ ਸੁਣਿ ਧਰੇ ਪਿਆਰੁ ॥
muha k bolan boleeai jith sun dhharae piaar ||
What words can we speak to evoke His Love?
4 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲਾ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਉ ਵਡਿਆਈ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥
anmrith vaelaa sach naao vaddiaaee veechaar ||
In the Amrit Vaylaa, the ambrosial hours before dawn, chant the True Name, and contemplate His Glorious Greatness.
5 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਕਰਮੀ ਆਵੈ ਕਪੜਾ ਨਦਰੀ ਮੋਖੁ ਦੁਆਰੁ ॥
karamee aavai kaparraa nadharee mokh dhuaar ||
By the karma of past actions, the robe of this physical body is obtained. By His Grace, the Gate of Liberation is found.
5 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਨਾਨਕ ਏਵੈ ਜਾਣੀਐ ਸਭੁ ਆਪੇ ਸਚਿਆਰੁ ॥੪॥
naanak eaevai jaaneeai sabh aapae sachiaar ||4||
O Nanak, know this well: the True One Himself is All. ||4||
6 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਥਾਪਿਆ ਨ ਜਾਇ ਕੀਤਾ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥
thhaapiaa n jaae keethaa n hoe ||
He cannot be established, He cannot be created.
6 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਆਪੇ ਆਪਿ ਨਿਰੰਜਨੁ ਸੋਇ ॥
aapae aap niranjan soe ||
He Himself is Immaculate and Pure.
7 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਜਿਨਿ ਸੇਵਿਆ ਤਿਨਿ ਪਾਇਆ ਮਾਨੁ ॥
jin saeviaa thin paaeiaa maan ||
Those who serve Him are honored.
7 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਨਾਨਕ ਗਾਵੀਐ ਗੁਣੀ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ ॥
naanak gaaveeai gunee nidhhaan ||
O Nanak, sing of the Lord, the Treasure of Excellence.
7 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਗਾਵੀਐ ਸੁਣੀਐ ਮਨਿ ਰਖੀਐ ਭਾਉ ॥
gaaveeai suneeai man rakheeai bhaao ||
Sing, and listen, and let your mind be filled with love.
8 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਦੁਖੁ ਪਰਹਰਿ ਸੁਖੁ ਘਰਿ ਲੈ ਜਾਇ ॥
dhukh parehar sukh ghar lai jaae ||
Your pain shall be sent far away, and peace shall come to your home.
8 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਦੰ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਵੇਦੰ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਸਮਾਈ ॥
guramukh naadhan guramukh vaedhan guramukh rehiaa samaaee ||
The Guru's Word is the Sound-current of the Naad; the Guru's Word is the Wisdom of the Vedas; the Guru's Word is all-pervading.
8 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਗੁਰੁ ਈਸਰੁ ਗੁਰੁ ਗੋਰਖੁ ਬਰਮਾ ਗੁਰੁ ਪਾਰਬਤੀ ਮਾਈ ॥
gur eesar gur gorakh baramaa gur paarabathee maaee ||
The Guru is Shiva, the Guru is Vishnu and Brahma; the Guru is Paarvati and Lakhshmi.
9 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਜੇ ਹਉ ਜਾਣਾ ਆਖਾ ਨਾਹੀ ਕਹਣਾ ਕਥਨੁ ਨ ਜਾਈ ॥
jae ho jaanaa aakhaa naahee kehanaa kathhan n jaaee ||
Even knowing God, I cannot describe Him; He cannot be described in words.
9 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਗੁਰਾ ਇਕ ਦੇਹਿ ਬੁਝਾਈ ॥
guraa eik dhaehi bujhaaee ||
The Guru has given me this one understanding:
10 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸਭਨਾ ਜੀਆ ਕਾ ਇਕੁ ਦਾਤਾ ਸੋ ਮੈ ਵਿਸਰਿ ਨ ਜਾਈ ॥੫॥
sabhanaa jeeaa kaa eik dhaathaa so mai visar n jaaee ||5||
there is only the One, the Giver of all souls. May I never forget Him! ||5||
10 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਤੀਰਥਿ ਨਾਵਾ ਜੇ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਵਾ ਵਿਣੁ ਭਾਣੇ ਕਿ ਨਾਇ ਕਰੀ ॥
theerathh naavaa jae this bhaavaa vin bhaanae k naae karee ||
If I am pleasing to Him, then that is my pilgrimage and cleansing bath. Without pleasing Him, what good are ritual cleansings?
11 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਜੇਤੀ ਸਿਰਠਿ ਉਪਾਈ ਵੇਖਾ ਵਿਣੁ ਕਰਮਾ ਕਿ ਮਿਲੈ ਲਈ ॥
jaethee sirath oupaaee vaekhaa vin karamaa k milai lee ||
I gaze upon all the created beings: without the karma of good actions, what are they given to receive?
11 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਮਤਿ ਵਿਚਿ ਰਤਨ ਜਵਾਹਰ ਮਾਣਿਕ ਜੇ ਇਕ ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਸਿਖ ਸੁਣੀ ॥
math vich rathan javaahar maanik jae eik gur kee sikh sunee ||
Within the mind are gems, jewels and rubies, if you listen to the Guru's Teachings, even once.
12 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਗੁਰਾ ਇਕ ਦੇਹਿ ਬੁਝਾਈ ॥
guraa eik dhaehi bujhaaee ||
The Guru has given me this one understanding:
12 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸਭਨਾ ਜੀਆ ਕਾ ਇਕੁ ਦਾਤਾ ਸੋ ਮੈ ਵਿਸਰਿ ਨ ਜਾਈ ॥੬॥
sabhanaa jeeaa kaa eik dhaathaa so mai visar n jaaee ||6||
there is only the One, the Giver of all souls. May I never forget Him! ||6||
13 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਜੇ ਜੁਗ ਚਾਰੇ ਆਰਜਾ ਹੋਰ ਦਸੂਣੀ ਹੋਇ ॥
jae jug chaarae aarajaa hor dhasoonee hoe ||
Even if you could live throughout the four ages, or even ten times more,
13 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਨਵਾ ਖੰਡਾ ਵਿਚਿ ਜਾਣੀਐ ਨਾਲਿ ਚਲੈ ਸਭੁ ਕੋਇ ॥
navaa khanddaa vich jaaneeai naal chalai sabh koe ||
and even if you were known throughout the nine continents and followed by all,
14 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਚੰਗਾ ਨਾਉ ਰਖਾਇ ਕੈ ਜਸੁ ਕੀਰਤਿ ਜਗਿ ਲੇਇ ॥
changaa naao rakhaae kai jas keerath jag laee ||
with a good name and reputation, with praise and fame throughout the world-
14 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਜੇ ਤਿਸੁ ਨਦਰਿ ਨ ਆਵਈ ਤ ਵਾਤ ਨ ਪੁਛੈ ਕੇ ॥
jae this nadhar n aavee th vaath n pushhai kae ||
still, if the Lord does not bless you with His Glance of Grace, then who cares? What is the use?
15 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਕੀਟਾ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਕੀਟੁ ਕਰਿ ਦੋਸੀ ਦੋਸੁ ਧਰੇ ॥
keettaa andhar keett kar dhosee dhos dhharae ||
Among worms, you would be considered a lowly worm, and even contemptible sinners would hold you in contempt.
15 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਨਾਨਕ ਨਿਰਗੁਣਿ ਗੁਣੁ ਕਰੇ ਗੁਣਵੰਤਿਆ ਗੁਣੁ ਦੇ ॥
naanak niragun gun karae gunavanthiaa gun dhae ||
O Nanak, God blesses the unworthy with virtue, and bestows virtue on the virtuous.
15 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਤੇਹਾ ਕੋਇ ਨ ਸੁਝਈ ਜਿ ਤਿਸੁ ਗੁਣੁ ਕੋਇ ਕਰੇ ॥੭॥
thaehaa koe n sujhee j this gun koe karae ||7||
No one can even imagine anyone who can bestow virtue upon Him. ||7||
16 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਸਿਧ ਪੀਰ ਸੁਰਿ ਨਾਥ ॥
suniai sidhh peer sur naathh ||
Listening-the Siddhas, the spiritual teachers, the heroic warriors, the yogic masters.
16 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਧਰਤਿ ਧਵਲ ਆਕਾਸ ॥
suniai dhharath dhhaval aakaas ||
Listening-the earth, its support and the Akaashic ethers.
17 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਦੀਪ ਲੋਅ ਪਾਤਾਲ ॥
suniai dheep loa paathaal ||
Listening-the oceans, the lands of the world and the nether regions of the underworld.
17 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਪੋਹਿ ਨ ਸਕੈ ਕਾਲੁ ॥
suniai pohi n sakai kaal ||
Listening-Death cannot even touch you.
17 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਨਾਨਕ ਭਗਤਾ ਸਦਾ ਵਿਗਾਸੁ ॥
naanak bhagathaa sadhaa vigaas ||
O Nanak, the devotees are forever in bliss.
18 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਦੂਖ ਪਾਪ ਕਾ ਨਾਸੁ ॥੮॥
suniai dhookh paap kaa naas ||8||
Listening-pain and sin are erased. ||8||
18 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਈਸਰੁ ਬਰਮਾ ਇੰਦੁ ॥
suniai eesar baramaa eindh ||
Listening-Shiva, Brahma and Indra.
18 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਮੁਖਿ ਸਾਲਾਹਣ ਮੰਦੁ ॥
suniai mukh saalaahan mandh ||
Listening-even foul-mouthed people praise Him.
19 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਜੋਗ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਤਨਿ ਭੇਦ ॥
suniai jog jugath than bhaedh ||
Listening-the technology of Yoga and the secrets of the body.
19 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਸਾਸਤ ਸਿਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਵੇਦ ॥
suniai saasath simrith vaedh ||
Listening-the Shaastras, the Simritees and the Vedas.
19 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਨਾਨਕ ਭਗਤਾ ਸਦਾ ਵਿਗਾਸੁ ॥
19 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

:wah::wah::wah:to be continued:wah::wah::wah:

research is being done by - Sadeep Singh Puri

Last edited:

SadeePuri

SPNer
Jul 8, 2008
Just to clarify one point so that no body brings this up that I am glogifying some OTHER Baba or Sant here.For a Sikh- SGGS JI is 'The Saint', 'The Guru' and no one else, as there are several people out there try to misguide people based on the Bani that indicates that there is no difference between a Saint and God. There are Saints here on earth now , there were and there will be. Same way BabaJi(SGGS JI) is also Saint- as per Saint Soldier Dhan Guru Gobind Singh Ji a Sikh follows SGGS Ji. This lowliest worm of Guru BabaJi is oblidged to Guru Ji for making this so easy for Sikhs. Sikhs dont have to search for a Saint, He is available everywhere in form and without form, to a seeker as well as a non seeker-Thank you.

SadeePuri

SPNer
Jul 8, 2008
Continued from post # 76:

Understanding Guru As per Granth Sahib

Contributing my research worth a penny. This lowliest worm is going to see how many times BabaJi(SGGS Ji) is telling us literaly that:
Only One and only One.
The Only Truth.
All is God.
There is no second.
God and Guru is One and the same.
God is Guru and Guru is God.
A Saint is God Himself.

All the above points of this truth make it clear that Guru is God-nothing else, as there is nothing else or a second one. This also makes it concrete why a Sikh (like this lowliest worm-Sadeep Puri) believes that Guru is God-the Creator.

Please Note: There is not even a single time when BabaJi indicates that Guru is NOT God:yes::yes:- not even a single time:cool:.

Research is going to be done page by page and the above mentioned points will be colored red and bold.

Research is inspired by Sikh80 Ji's following words:
Sikh80 said:
One the important attributes Of the Lord is that He created Himself and this none else is capable of and that includes our Guru sahibs and other mortals. It is just to point out that Guru Sahibaan came here as ordinary human beings and made themselves so high that sikhs even to date worship them literally and treat them as God but that does not make them the Creator.Each
Sikh80 said:
Sikh is clear about this.Yes, there are few lines in the Granth sahib that states directly or indirectly that one should not find difference between Guru and God. However, one should not forget that Supreme status of eternal Guru is that of The Lord , the Creator and causes of all Causes. It is due to the respect that the Bhatts and Balwant and sat had called them almost equal to Lord. It is sheer out of pure love and adoration that it has been done and may be we also do like wise but without getting lost as to who is the Ultimate Guru or satguru. He is that HE is and was and shall be.

He says 'Each Sikh'. I am Sikh too and know hundreds of other Sikhs who believe: Guru Parmesar Nahi Bhed(there is no difference between Guru and God).

BabaJi says the Truth about Guru God and All--- to be the same and One:

Panna # 3:

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਦੂਖ ਪਾਪ ਕਾ ਨਾਸੁ ॥੯॥
suniai dhookh paap kaa naas ||9||
Listening-pain and sin are erased. ||9||
1 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਸਤੁ ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਗਿਆਨੁ ॥
suniai sath santhokh giaan ||
Listening-truth, contentment and spiritual wisdom.
1 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਅਠਸਠਿ ਕਾ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ॥
suniai athasath kaa eisanaan ||
Listening-take your cleansing bath at the sixty-eight places of pilgrimage.
1 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਪੜਿ ਪੜਿ ਪਾਵਹਿ ਮਾਨੁ ॥
suniai parr parr paavehi maan ||
Listening-reading and reciting, honor is obtained.
2 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਲਾਗੈ ਸਹਜਿ ਧਿਆਨੁ ॥
suniai laagai sehaj dhhiaan ||
Listening-intuitively grasp the essence of meditation.
2 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਨਾਨਕ ਭਗਤਾ ਸਦਾ ਵਿਗਾਸੁ ॥
2 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਦੂਖ ਪਾਪ ਕਾ ਨਾਸੁ ॥੧੦॥
suniai dhookh paap kaa naas ||10||
Listening-pain and sin are erased. ||10||
3 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਸਰਾ ਗੁਣਾ ਕੇ ਗਾਹ ॥
suniai saraa gunaa kae gaah ||
Listening-dive deep into the ocean of virtue.
3 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਸੇਖ ਪੀਰ ਪਾਤਿਸਾਹ ॥
suniai saekh peer paathisaah ||
Listening-the Shaykhs, religious scholars, spiritual teachers and emperors.
3 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਅੰਧੇ ਪਾਵਹਿ ਰਾਹੁ ॥
suniai andhhae paavehi raahu ||
Listening-even the blind find the Path.
3 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਹਾਥ ਹੋਵੈ ਅਸਗਾਹੁ ॥
suniai haathh hovai asagaahu ||
Listening-the Unreachable comes within your grasp.
4 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਨਾਨਕ ਭਗਤਾ ਸਦਾ ਵਿਗਾਸੁ ॥
4 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸੁਣਿਐ ਦੂਖ ਪਾਪ ਕਾ ਨਾਸੁ ॥੧੧॥
suniai dhookh paap kaa naas ||11||
Listening-pain and sin are erased. ||11||
4 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਮੰਨੇ ਕੀ ਗਤਿ ਕਹੀ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥
mannae kee gath kehee n jaae ||
The state of the faithful cannot be described.
5 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਜੇ ਕੋ ਕਹੈ ਪਿਛੈ ਪਛੁਤਾਇ ॥
jae ko kehai pishhai pashhuthaae ||
One who tries to describe this shall regret the attempt.
5 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਕਾਗਦਿ ਕਲਮ ਨ ਲਿਖਣਹਾਰੁ ॥
kaagadh kalam n likhanehaar ||
No paper, no pen, no scribe
5 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਮੰਨੇ ਕਾ ਬਹਿ ਕਰਨਿ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥
mannae kaa behi karan veechaar ||
can record the state of the faithful.
5 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਐਸਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਰੰਜਨੁ ਹੋਇ ॥
aisaa naam niranjan hoe ||
Such is the Name of the Immaculate Lord.
6 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਜੇ ਕੋ ਮੰਨਿ ਜਾਣੈ ਮਨਿ ਕੋਇ ॥੧੨॥
jae ko mann jaanai man koe ||12||
Only one who has faith comes to know such a state of mind. ||12||
6 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਮੰਨੈ ਸੁਰਤਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਮਨਿ ਬੁਧਿ ॥
mannai surath hovai man budhh ||
The faithful have intuitive awareness and intelligence.
6 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਮੰਨੈ ਸਗਲ ਭਵਣ ਕੀ ਸੁਧਿ ॥
mannai sagal bhavan kee sudhh ||
The faithful know about all worlds and realms.
7 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਮੰਨੈ ਮੁਹਿ ਚੋਟਾ ਨਾ ਖਾਇ ॥
mannai muhi chottaa naa khaae ||
The faithful shall never be struck across the face.
7 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਮੰਨੈ ਜਮ ਕੈ ਸਾਥਿ ਨ ਜਾਇ ॥
mannai jam kai saathh n jaae ||
The faithful do not have to go with the Messenger of Death.
7 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਐਸਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਰੰਜਨੁ ਹੋਇ ॥
7 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਜੇ ਕੋ ਮੰਨਿ ਜਾਣੈ ਮਨਿ ਕੋਇ ॥੧੩॥
jae ko mann jaanai man koe ||13||
Only one who has faith comes to know such a state of mind. ||13||
8 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਮੰਨੈ ਮਾਰਗਿ ਠਾਕ ਨ ਪਾਇ ॥
mannai maarag thaak n paae ||
The path of the faithful shall never be blocked.
8 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਮੰਨੈ ਪਤਿ ਸਿਉ ਪਰਗਟੁ ਜਾਇ ॥
mannai path sio paragatt jaae ||
The faithful shall depart with honor and fame.
8 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਮੰਨੈ ਮਗੁ ਨ ਚਲੈ ਪੰਥੁ ॥
mannai mag n chalai panthh ||
The faithful do not follow empty religious rituals.
9 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਮੰਨੈ ਧਰਮ ਸੇਤੀ ਸਨਬੰਧੁ ॥
mannai dhharam saethee sanabandhh ||
The faithful are firmly bound to the Dharma.
9 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਐਸਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਰੰਜਨੁ ਹੋਇ ॥
9 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਜੇ ਕੋ ਮੰਨਿ ਜਾਣੈ ਮਨਿ ਕੋਇ ॥੧੪॥
jae ko mann jaanai man koe ||14||
Only one who has faith comes to know such a state of mind. ||14||
9 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਮੰਨੈ ਪਾਵਹਿ ਮੋਖੁ ਦੁਆਰੁ ॥
mannai paavehi mokh dhuaar ||
The faithful find the Door of Liberation.
10 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਮੰਨੈ ਪਰਵਾਰੈ ਸਾਧਾਰੁ ॥
mannai paravaarai saadhhaar ||
The faithful uplift and redeem their family and relations.
10 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਮੰਨੈ ਤਰੈ ਤਾਰੇ ਗੁਰੁ ਸਿਖ ॥
mannai tharai thaarae gur sikh ||
The faithful are saved, and carried across with the Sikhs of the Guru.
10 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਮੰਨੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਭਵਹਿ ਨ ਭਿਖ ॥
mannai naanak bhavehi n bhikh ||
The faithful, O Nanak, do not wander around begging.
10 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਐਸਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਰੰਜਨੁ ਹੋਇ ॥
11 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਜੇ ਕੋ ਮੰਨਿ ਜਾਣੈ ਮਨਿ ਕੋਇ ॥੧੫॥
jae ko mann jaanai man koe ||15||
Only one who has faith comes to know such a state of mind. ||15||
11 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਪੰਚ ਪਰਵਾਣ ਪੰਚ ਪਰਧਾਨੁ ॥
panch paravaan panch paradhhaan ||
The chosen ones, the self-elect, are accepted and approved.
11 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਪੰਚੇ ਪਾਵਹਿ ਦਰਗਹਿ ਮਾਨੁ ॥
panchae paavehi dharagehi maan ||
The chosen ones are honored in the Court of the Lord.
12 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਪੰਚੇ ਸੋਹਹਿ ਦਰਿ ਰਾਜਾਨੁ ॥
panchae sohehi dhar raajaan ||
The chosen ones look beautiful in the courts of kings.
12 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਪੰਚਾ ਕਾ ਗੁਰੁ ਏਕੁ ਧਿਆਨੁ ॥
panchaa kaa gur eaek dhhiaan ||
The chosen ones meditate single-mindedly on the Guru.
12 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਜੇ ਕੋ ਕਹੈ ਕਰੈ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥
jae ko kehai karai veechaar ||
No matter how much anyone tries to explain and describe them,
12 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਕਰਤੇ ਕੈ ਕਰਣੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਸੁਮਾਰੁ ॥
karathae kai karanai naahee sumaar ||
the actions of the Creator cannot be counted.
13 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਧੌਲੁ ਧਰਮੁ ਦਇਆ ਕਾ ਪੂਤੁ ॥
dhhaal dhharam dhaeiaa kaa pooth ||
The mythical bull is Dharma, the son of compassion;
13 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸੰਤੋਖੁ ਥਾਪਿ ਰਖਿਆ ਜਿਨਿ ਸੂਤਿ ॥
santhokh thhaap rakhiaa jin sooth ||
this is what patiently holds the earth in its place.
13 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਜੇ ਕੋ ਬੁਝੈ ਹੋਵੈ ਸਚਿਆਰੁ ॥
jae ko bujhai hovai sachiaar ||
One who understands this becomes truthful.
14 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਧਵਲੈ ਉਪਰਿ ਕੇਤਾ ਭਾਰੁ ॥
dhhavalai oupar kaethaa bhaar ||
What a great load there is on the bull!
14 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਧਰਤੀ ਹੋਰੁ ਪਰੈ ਹੋਰੁ ਹੋਰੁ ॥
dhharathee hor parai hor hor ||
So many worlds beyond this world-so very many!
14 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਤਿਸ ਤੇ ਭਾਰੁ ਤਲੈ ਕਵਣੁ ਜੋਰੁ ॥
this thae bhaar thalai kavan jor ||
What power holds them, and supports their weight?
14 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਜੀਅ ਜਾਤਿ ਰੰਗਾ ਕੇ ਨਾਵ ॥
jeea jaath rangaa kae naav ||
The names and the colors of the assorted species of beings
15 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸਭਨਾ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਵੁੜੀ ਕਲਾਮ ॥
sabhanaa likhiaa vurree kalaam ||
were all inscribed by the Ever-flowing Pen of God.
15 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਏਹੁ ਲੇਖਾ ਲਿਖਿ ਜਾਣੈ ਕੋਇ ॥
eaehu laekhaa likh jaanai koe ||
Who knows how to write this account?
15 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਲੇਖਾ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਕੇਤਾ ਹੋਇ ॥
laekhaa likhiaa kaethaa hoe ||
Just imagine what a huge scroll it would take!
15 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਕੇਤਾ ਤਾਣੁ ਸੁਆਲਿਹੁ ਰੂਪੁ ॥
kaethaa thaan suaalihu roop ||
What power! What fascinating beauty!
16 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਕੇਤੀ ਦਾਤਿ ਜਾਣੈ ਕੌਣੁ ਕੂਤੁ ॥
kaethee dhaath jaanai kaan kooth ||
And what gifts! Who can know their extent?
16 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਕੀਤਾ ਪਸਾਉ ਏਕੋ ਕਵਾਉ ॥
keethaa pasaao eaeko kavaao ||
You created the vast expanse of the Universe with One Word!
16 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਤਿਸ ਤੇ ਹੋਏ ਲਖ ਦਰੀਆਉ ॥
this thae hoeae lakh dhareeaao ||
Hundreds of thousands of rivers began to flow.
17 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਕੁਦਰਤਿ ਕਵਣ ਕਹਾ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥
kudharath kavan kehaa veechaar ||
How can Your Creative Potency be described?
17 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਵਾਰਿਆ ਨ ਜਾਵਾ ਏਕ ਵਾਰ ॥
vaariaa n jaavaa eaek vaar ||
I cannot even once be a sacrifice to You.
17 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਜੋ ਤੁਧੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਸਾਈ ਭਲੀ ਕਾਰ ॥
jo thudhh bhaavai saaee bhalee kaar ||
Whatever pleases You is the only good done,
18 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਤੂ ਸਦਾ ਸਲਾਮਤਿ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ॥੧੬॥
thoo sadhaa salaamath nirankaar ||16||
You, Eternal and Formless One! ||16||
18 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਅਸੰਖ ਜਪ ਅਸੰਖ ਭਾਉ ॥
asankh jap asankh bhaao ||
Countless meditations, countless loves.
18 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਅਸੰਖ ਪੂਜਾ ਅਸੰਖ ਤਪ ਤਾਉ ॥
asankh poojaa asankh thap thaao ||
Countless worship services, countless austere disciplines.
19 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਅਸੰਖ ਗਰੰਥ ਮੁਖਿ ਵੇਦ ਪਾਠ ॥
asankh garanthh mukh vaedh paath ||
Countless scriptures, and ritual recitations of the Vedas.
19 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਅਸੰਖ ਜੋਗ ਮਨਿ ਰਹਹਿ ਉਦਾਸ ॥
asankh jog man rehehi oudhaas ||
Countless Yogis, whose minds remain detached from the world.
19 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

Panna # 4:

ਅਸੰਖ ਭਗਤ ਗੁਣ ਗਿਆਨ ਵੀਚਾਰ ॥
asankh bhagath gun giaan veechaar ||
Countless devotees contemplate the Wisdom and Virtues of the Lord.
1 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਅਸੰਖ ਸਤੀ ਅਸੰਖ ਦਾਤਾਰ ॥
asankh sathee asankh dhaathaar ||
Countless the holy, countless the givers.
1 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਅਸੰਖ ਸੂਰ ਮੁਹ ਭਖ ਸਾਰ ॥
asankh soor muh bhakh saar ||
Countless heroic spiritual warriors, who bear the brunt of the attack in battle (who with their mouths eat steel).
1 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਅਸੰਖ ਮੋਨਿ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਇ ਤਾਰ ॥
asankh mon liv laae thaar ||
Countless silent sages, vibrating the String of His Love.
2 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਕੁਦਰਤਿ ਕਵਣ ਕਹਾ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥
How can Your Creative Potency be described?
2 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਵਾਰਿਆ ਨ ਜਾਵਾ ਏਕ ਵਾਰ ॥
2 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

2 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਤੂ ਸਦਾ ਸਲਾਮਤਿ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ॥੧੭॥
thoo sadhaa salaamath nirankaar ||17||
You, Eternal and Formless One. ||17||
3 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਅਸੰਖ ਮੂਰਖ ਅੰਧ ਘੋਰ ॥
asankh moorakh andhh ghor ||
Countless fools, blinded by ignorance.
3 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਅਸੰਖ ਚੋਰ ਹਰਾਮਖੋਰ ॥
asankh chor haraamakhor ||
Countless thieves and embezzlers.
3 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਅਸੰਖ ਅਮਰ ਕਰਿ ਜਾਹਿ ਜੋਰ ॥
asankh amar kar jaahi jor ||
Countless impose their will by force.
4 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਅਸੰਖ ਗਲਵਢ ਹਤਿਆ ਕਮਾਹਿ ॥
asankh galavadt hathiaa kamaahi ||
Countless cut-throats and ruthless killers.
4 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਅਸੰਖ ਪਾਪੀ ਪਾਪੁ ਕਰਿ ਜਾਹਿ ॥
asankh paapee paap kar jaahi ||
Countless sinners who keep on sinning.
4 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਅਸੰਖ ਕੂੜਿਆਰ ਕੂੜੇ ਫਿਰਾਹਿ ॥
asankh koorriaar koorrae firaahi ||
Countless liars, wandering lost in their lies.
4 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਅਸੰਖ ਮਲੇਛ ਮਲੁ ਭਖਿ ਖਾਹਿ ॥
asankh malaeshh mal bhakh khaahi ||
Countless wretches, eating filth as their ration.
5 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਅਸੰਖ ਨਿੰਦਕ ਸਿਰਿ ਕਰਹਿ ਭਾਰੁ ॥
asankh nindhak sir karehi bhaar ||
Countless slanderers, carrying the weight of their stupid mistakes on their heads.
5 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਨਾਨਕੁ ਨੀਚੁ ਕਹੈ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥
naanak neech kehai veechaar ||
Nanak describes the state of the lowly.
5 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਵਾਰਿਆ ਨ ਜਾਵਾ ਏਕ ਵਾਰ ॥
6 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

6 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

thoo sadhaa salaamath nirankaar ||18||
You, Eternal and Formless One. ||18||
6 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਅਸੰਖ ਨਾਵ ਅਸੰਖ ਥਾਵ ॥
asankh naav asankh thhaav ||
Countless names, countless places.
7 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਅਗੰਮ ਅਗੰਮ ਅਸੰਖ ਲੋਅ ॥
aganm aganm asankh loa ||
Inaccessible, unapproachable, countless celestial realms.
7 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਤੂ ਸਦਾ ਸਲਾਮਤਿ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ॥੧੮॥
ਅਸੰਖ ਕਹਹਿ ਸਿਰਿ ਭਾਰੁ ਹੋਇ ॥
asankh kehehi sir bhaar hoe ||
Even to call them countless is to carry the weight on your head.
7 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਅਖਰੀ ਨਾਮੁ ਅਖਰੀ ਸਾਲਾਹ ॥
akharee naam akharee saalaah ||
From the Word, comes the Naam; from the Word, comes Your Praise.
7 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਅਖਰੀ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਗੀਤ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਹ ॥
akharee giaan geeth gun gaah ||
From the Word, comes spiritual wisdom, singing the Songs of Your Glory.
8 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਅਖਰੀ ਲਿਖਣੁ ਬੋਲਣੁ ਬਾਣਿ ॥
akharee likhan bolan baan ||
From the Word, come the written and spoken words and hymns.
8 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਅਖਰਾ ਸਿਰਿ ਸੰਜੋਗੁ ਵਖਾਣਿ ॥
akharaa sir sanjog vakhaan ||
From the Word, comes destiny, written on one's forehead.
8 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਜਿਨਿ ਏਹਿ ਲਿਖੇ ਤਿਸੁ ਸਿਰਿ ਨਾਹਿ ॥
jin eaehi likhae this sir naahi ||
But the One who wrote these Words of Destiny-no words are written on His Forehead.
9 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਜਿਵ ਫੁਰਮਾਏ ਤਿਵ ਤਿਵ ਪਾਹਿ ॥
jiv furamaaeae thiv thiv paahi ||
As He ordains, so do we receive.
9 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਜੇਤਾ ਕੀਤਾ ਤੇਤਾ ਨਾਉ ॥
jaethaa keethaa thaethaa naao ||
The created universe is the manifestation of Your Name.
9 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਵਿਣੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਕੋ ਥਾਉ ॥
vin naavai naahee ko thhaao ||
Without Your Name, there is no place at all.
10 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਕੁਦਰਤਿ ਕਵਣ ਕਹਾ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥
How can I describe Your Creative Power?
10 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਵਾਰਿਆ ਨ ਜਾਵਾ ਏਕ ਵਾਰ ॥
10 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

10 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਤੂ ਸਦਾ ਸਲਾਮਤਿ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ॥੧੯॥
thoo sadhaa salaamath nirankaar ||19||
You, Eternal and Formless One. ||19||
11 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਭਰੀਐ ਹਥੁ ਪੈਰੁ ਤਨੁ ਦੇਹ ॥
bhareeai hathh pair than dhaeh ||
When the hands and the feet and the body are dirty,
11 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਪਾਣੀ ਧੋਤੈ ਉਤਰਸੁ ਖੇਹ ॥
paanee dhhothai outharas khaeh ||
water can wash away the dirt.
11 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਮੂਤ ਪਲੀਤੀ ਕਪੜੁ ਹੋਇ ॥
mooth paleethee kaparr hoe ||
When the clothes are soiled and stained by urine,
12 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਦੇ ਸਾਬੂਣੁ ਲਈਐ ਓਹੁ ਧੋਇ ॥
dhae saaboon leeai ouhu dhhoe ||
soap can wash them clean.
12 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਭਰੀਐ ਮਤਿ ਪਾਪਾ ਕੈ ਸੰਗਿ ॥
bhareeai math paapaa kai sang ||
But when the intellect is stained and polluted by sin,
12 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਓਹੁ ਧੋਪੈ ਨਾਵੈ ਕੈ ਰੰਗਿ ॥
ouhu dhhopai naavai kai rang ||
it can only be cleansed by the Love of the Name.
13 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਪੁੰਨੀ ਪਾਪੀ ਆਖਣੁ ਨਾਹਿ ॥
punnee paapee aakhan naahi ||
Virtue and vice do not come by mere words;
13 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਕਰਿ ਕਰਿ ਕਰਣਾ ਲਿਖਿ ਲੈ ਜਾਹੁ ॥
kar kar karanaa likh lai jaahu ||
actions repeated, over and over again, are engraved on the soul.
13 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਆਪੇ ਬੀਜਿ ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਖਾਹੁ ॥
aapae beej aapae hee khaahu ||
You shall harvest what you plant.
13 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਨਾਨਕ ਹੁਕਮੀ ਆਵਹੁ ਜਾਹੁ ॥੨੦॥
naanak hukamee aavahu jaahu ||20||
O Nanak, by the Hukam of God's Command, we come and go in reincarnation. ||20||
14 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਤੀਰਥੁ ਤਪੁ ਦਇਆ ਦਤੁ ਦਾਨੁ ॥
theerathh thap dhaeiaa dhath dhaan ||
Pilgrimages, austere discipline, compassion and charity
14 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਜੇ ਕੋ ਪਾਵੈ ਤਿਲ ਕਾ ਮਾਨੁ ॥
jae ko paavai thil kaa maan ||
these, by themselves, bring only an iota of merit.
14 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸੁਣਿਆ ਮੰਨਿਆ ਮਨਿ ਕੀਤਾ ਭਾਉ ॥
suniaa manniaa man keethaa bhaao ||
Listening and believing with love and humility in your mind,
15 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਅੰਤਰਗਤਿ ਤੀਰਥਿ ਮਲਿ ਨਾਉ ॥
antharagath theerathh mal naao ||
cleanse yourself with the Name, at the sacred shrine deep within.
15 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸਭਿ ਗੁਣ ਤੇਰੇ ਮੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਕੋਇ ॥
sabh gun thaerae mai naahee koe ||
All virtues are Yours, Lord, I have none at all.
15 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਵਿਣੁ ਗੁਣ ਕੀਤੇ ਭਗਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਇ ॥
vin gun keethae bhagath n hoe ||
Without virtue, there is no devotional worship.
16 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸੁਅਸਤਿ ਆਥਿ ਬਾਣੀ ਬਰਮਾਉ ॥
suasath aathh baanee baramaao ||
I bow to the Lord of the World, to His Word, to Brahma the Creator.
16 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਸਤਿ ਸੁਹਾਣੁ ਸਦਾ ਮਨਿ ਚਾਉ ॥
sath suhaan sadhaa man chaao ||
He is Beautiful, True and Eternally Joyful.
16 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਕਵਣੁ ਸੁ ਵੇਲਾ ਵਖਤੁ ਕਵਣੁ ਕਵਣ ਥਿਤਿ ਕਵਣੁ ਵਾਰੁ ॥
kavan s vaelaa vakhath kavan kavan thhith kavan vaar ||
What was that time, and what was that moment? What was that day, and what was that date?
16 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਕਵਣਿ ਸਿ ਰੁਤੀ ਮਾਹੁ ਕਵਣੁ ਜਿਤੁ ਹੋਆ ਆਕਾਰੁ ॥
kavan s ruthee maahu kavan jith hoaa aakaar ||
What was that season, and what was that month, when the Universe was created?
17 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਵੇਲ ਨ ਪਾਈਆ ਪੰਡਤੀ ਜਿ ਹੋਵੈ ਲੇਖੁ ਪੁਰਾਣੁ ॥
vael n paaeeaa panddathee j hovai laekh puraan ||
The Pandits, the religious scholars, cannot find that time, even if it is written in the Puraanas.
17 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਵਖਤੁ ਨ ਪਾਇਓ ਕਾਦੀਆ ਜਿ ਲਿਖਨਿ ਲੇਖੁ ਕੁਰਾਣੁ ॥
vakhath n paaeiou kaadheeaa j likhan laekh kuraan ||
That time is not known to the Qazis, who study the Koran.
18 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਥਿਤਿ ਵਾਰੁ ਨਾ ਜੋਗੀ ਜਾਣੈ ਰੁਤਿ ਮਾਹੁ ਨਾ ਕੋਈ ॥
thhith vaar naa jogee jaanai ruth maahu naa koee ||
The day and the date are not known to the Yogis, nor is the month or the season.
18 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਜਾ ਕਰਤਾ ਸਿਰਠੀ ਕਉ ਸਾਜੇ ਆਪੇ ਜਾਣੈ ਸੋਈ ॥
jaa karathaa sirathee ko saajae aapae jaanai soee ||
The Creator who created this creation-only He Himself knows.
19 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

ਕਿਵ ਕਰਿ ਆਖਾ ਕਿਵ ਸਾਲਾਹੀ ਕਿਉ ਵਰਨੀ ਕਿਵ ਜਾਣਾ ॥
kiv kar aakhaa kiv saalaahee kio varanee kiv jaanaa ||
How can we speak of Him? How can we praise Him? How can we describe Him? How can we know Him?
19 Jap Guru Nanak Dev

:wah::wah::wah:to be continued:wah::wah::wah:

research is being done by - Sadeep Singh Puri

SadeePuri

SPNer
Jul 8, 2008
ALL JIO

I am curious if " BABA JI" word ever used by Guru Sahib in context of status of Guru? Can anyone enlighten me on this?

pk70 Ji,

Me neech remember BabaJi Guru Arjan Dev Ji saying:

ਦ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਧਾਰਿ ਅਪਨਾ ਦਾਸੁ ਸਵਾਰਿਆ ॥
dhrisatt dhhaar apanaa dhaas savaariaa ||
Bestowing His Glance of Grace, He has adorned His slave.
2 Maajh Guru Arjan Dev

ਘਟ ਘਟ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਨਮਸਕਾਰਿਆ ॥
ghatt ghatt anthar paarabreham namasakaariaa ||
Deep within each and every heart, the Supreme Lord is humbly worshipped.
2 Maajh Guru Arjan Dev

ਇਕਸੁ ਵਿਣੁ ਹੋਰੁ ਦੂਜਾ ਨਾਹੀ ਬਾਬਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਇਹ ਮਤਿ ਸਾਰੀ ਜੀਉ ॥੪॥੩੯॥੪੬॥
eikas vin hor dhoojaa naahee baabaa naanak eih math saaree jeeo ||4||39||46||
Without the One, there is no other at all. O Baba Nanak, this is the most excellent wisdom. ||4||39||46||
3 Maajh Guru Arjan Dev

:wah::wah::wah:

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Pk70 ji,

Knowing perfectly well that some questions may not have any reasonable answer at all we tend to bye pass the same and that is the best way of not buying an argument.

Seems to be working everywhere very fine.

However, we seem to say at Homes...Baba ji di Beer' etc,. The reference to Beer and Baba ji goes well with us in India although I doubt if we refer to SGGS ji as baba ji in stand alone manner. May be it has more of individual's preferences.There is no standardisation .

Regards

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM