Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Types of Karas

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Kulbirrose, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Kulbirrose

Kulbirrose
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Wahe Guru Ji Ki Ka Khalsa, wahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh
    Greetings, everyone, I have a question. There are now different designs of the kara; I have seen some that are ridge, some that are smooth, and I have been wondering how the different forms of karas have come about. A friend gave me one that is made of iron rebar; he had bent it into a bangle shape and welded the ends together. Another friend took a lock washer made of steel and welded the ends together, so they are permanently connected, though they do not quite match up and so are just a bit offset. Does anyone know where to find information about the different types and shapes of the kara, and how they came about? Thanks!

#1 Kulbirrose, Sep 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2015
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Humor 20 Types Of Gurdwara-Goers Blogs Nov 7, 2016
    Controversial Watch 3 Badass Women Destroy Stereotypes About Body Hair Hard Talk Aug 1, 2016
    How many different types of Sikhs are there? Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Jul 8, 2014
    Opinion Media Stereotypes and the 'Missing White Woman Syndrome" Breaking News May 9, 2013
    ‘American Idol’s’ Gurpreet Singh Sarin on Singing His Way Past Stereotypes Sikh Youth Feb 16, 2013

3. Ishna

Ishna
    Expand Collapse
    On hiatus
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Ji

I have moved your thread from the 'Islam' subforum to 'Questions and Answers'.

4. Brother Onam

Brother Onam United States
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer Contributor

Sat Sri Akaal,
    I think the style or look of kara is not so important. But I am a little put off when I see people wearing gold or gold-looking karas. The fact that it is supposed to be steel has much historical/spiritual meaning to Sikhs; when it is worn in gold, it takes it from the realm of spiritual significance to the realm of ego.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kulbirrose

Kulbirrose
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Sat Nam, Ji-
    I have to say I agree with you. The kara is supposed to be the iron/steel, not gold, and I find myself wondering why the individual wearing a gold one is wearing one at all. Iron and steel are wonderful!
    But then, in many places of the world, gold is ridiculously highly valued.

6. Harkiran Kaur

Harkiran Kaur Canada
    Expand Collapse

Leader

Writer SPNer Contributor

Who decided that the gold colour is better than silver anyway?

7. Kanwaljit Singh

Kanwaljit Singh India
    Expand Collapse
    Apache Spark, Scala developer
    Writer SPNer

A gold kara is generally given to the groom at the time of marriage. Sometimes people end up replacing their iron kara with that.

8. Harkiran Kaur

Harkiran Kaur Canada
    Expand Collapse

Leader

Writer SPNer Contributor

Isn't giving gold karas actually against SRM? In fact, some puritans even shun steel and say it must be sarbloh only.

Instead, I was told Amritdhari usually present the groom with a kirpan, which is what I am bringing to India for my soon to be husband, as he is (and soon I will be) Amritdhari.

9. Kulbirrose

Kulbirrose
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!
    Yes, I have heard that it is usually a kirpan than is given to the groom.
    Yes, I have seen the gold karas, and I think it has to do with social status as much as anything; and that in itself may related to caste, which Sikhism does not recognize.
    At any rate, I am interested in the history of how the different designs came about. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be thankful indeed.
    I have always been interested in the history of the designs of things, and I had noticed the different types of karas a while back, and have been curious as to how they came about. Thanks!