• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Tying Turban - No Tenuous Tie This

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Tying turban: No tenuous tie this By Divya Sethi - Ldh Newsline
Aug 13, 2005, 06:49

A student teaches the traditional way of tying the turban to fellow youngsters

Ludhiana,
Dilpreet has a mission set for his life. In the present day when spikes, Salman Khan’s style of hair is becoming popular and youngsters are opting for different (read wierd) haircuts to look chic, this engineering student, is going out of his way to teach the art of turban tying to youngsters.

Talking to Newsline, he said, ‘‘I felt that many youngsters are opting haircuts because they think they will make them look better. I wanted them to see that one can look good with a beautiful, smartly tied turban. The simple eight-metre cloth, wrapped properly on the head can really create magic.’’

He also says, ‘‘I want to keep Sikhism and its traditions alive. This is just a step in this direction. I take only three minutes in tying the turban. This is what i’m teaching others as well, to show them that it is not a time consuming, cumbersome job.’’

Dilpreet’s parents are, needless to say, very happy. His father, Major Singh, a businessman says, ‘‘These days, when children think of discotheques and fashion - with short, cropped hair or pony tails; we are happy that our son is thinking of culture and tradition and trying to keep that alive.’’

Charanjit Singh, a BA-I year student at SCD Government College for Boys said, ‘‘Earlier I was clean shaven and had short hair, but when I met Dilpreet Singh through a common friend, I started visiting his class. His style of wearing the turban inculcated an interest in me, and today, I have grown my hair back and started wearing turban; thanks to him.’’

Raman Sahib Singh, a BCA student, said, ‘‘I was insisting on a haircut but my parents would not hear of it, for we belong to a staunch Sikh family. Then I came across this person, and now I feel proud of having long hair. I have learnt how to tie the turban properly and look smart.’’ Another student Bhagwant Singh opines the same, for he says, ‘‘Although I am not perfect like Dilpreet, but I am fast moving towards perfection.’’

Source: SikhSangat.com

Oct 14, 2005
i wanna know how to tie a england type turban (like RDB sorta, dont get me wrong i just like how it is, anyone can direct me to some sites, or shed some light on it) ill appriciate it alot.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
This is a real question:

Is there a technique for a one-handed person to tie a turban? A video would be most helpful.

Surely many Sikhs have lost limbs in battle and have still managed to tie the turban properly.

Please help.

Thanks.

satwant

SPNer
Oct 18, 2006
singapore
Kudos to Dilpreet. The culture of keeping hair is a dying breed. i have visited Punjab many times but it seems that most of the youngsetrs do not keep hair anymore. Yet, the Gianis who come out of pUnjab, preach to us to keep hair and be true Sikhs.

I think they should remain in PUnjab and tackle the issue in their homeland. I am not born and bred in Punjab but I do keep the turban and hair as I like being a Sikh and proud of our religion.

The youngsters justify cutting hair by giving flimsy excuses like the weather is not conducive, it not cool to keep the turban, you can get more girls without the turban, that tying a turban is out of date. To me, the loss is theirs.

At the rate things are going, Sikh culture may be in danger of being extinction in about 100 years.

SikHannah

SPNer
Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
Hey that's great! It's great to hear that people my age actually take interest in religion rather than being like everyone else.

was it salman khan that started that hair spike thing?? lol

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Hey that's great! It's great to hear that people my age actually take interest in religion rather than being like everyone else.

was it salman khan that started that hair spike thing?? lol

you can't only blame salman khan for spike hair fashion.btw how a girl living in hollywood
knows about indian superstars?

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Hi again, Joey Ji.!:)

A video! A video! Is there one out there? How about one from our members? Diagrams? software? Help!
09-07-2007 07:46 PM

This link has a bunc h of possibilities:.

How to Tie a Turban (Sikh/Sikhism Styles)

Some of them are pretty cool.:ice:

But no one has answered my earlier inquiry::confused:

This is a real question:

Is there a technique for a one-handed person to tie a turban? A video would be most helpful.

Surely many Sikhs have lost limbs in battle and have still managed to tie the turban properly.

Please help.

Thanks.

amarpreet41

SPNer
Mar 5, 2007
Tying turban: No tenuous tie this By Divya Sethi - Ldh Newsline
Aug 13, 2005, 06:49

A student teaches the traditional way of tying the turban to fellow youngsters

Ludhiana,
Dilpreet has a mission set for his life. In the present day when spikes, Salman Khan’s style of hair is becoming popular and youngsters are opting for different (read wierd) haircuts to look chic, this engineering student, is going out of his way to teach the art of turban tying to youngsters.

Talking to Newsline, he said, ‘‘I felt that many youngsters are opting haircuts because they think they will make them look better. I wanted them to see that one can look good with a beautiful, smartly tied turban. The simple eight-metre cloth, wrapped properly on the head can really create magic.’’

He also says, ‘‘I want to keep Sikhism and its traditions alive. This is just a step in this direction. I take only three minutes in tying the turban. This is what i’m teaching others as well, to show them that it is not a time consuming, cumbersome job.’’

Dilpreet’s parents are, needless to say, very happy. His father, Major Singh, a businessman says, ‘‘These days, when children think of discotheques and fashion - with short, cropped hair or pony tails; we are happy that our son is thinking of culture and tradition and trying to keep that alive.’’

Charanjit Singh, a BA-I year student at SCD Government College for Boys said, ‘‘Earlier I was clean shaven and had short hair, but when I met Dilpreet Singh through a common friend, I started visiting his class. His style of wearing the turban inculcated an interest in me, and today, I have grown my hair back and started wearing turban; thanks to him.’’

Raman Sahib Singh, a BCA student, said, ‘‘I was insisting on a haircut but my parents would not hear of it, for we belong to a staunch Sikh family. Then I came across this person, and now I feel proud of having long hair. I have learnt how to tie the turban properly and look smart.’’ Another student Bhagwant Singh opines the same, for he says, ‘‘Although I am not perfect like Dilpreet, but I am fast moving towards perfection.’’

Source: SikhSangat.com
---------------------------------------
Khalsa Jio,
Please visit www.pagrihouse.com
This is an informative as well commercial website on sikh turban.

This site provide basic information on sikh turban, philosophy
behind sikh turban and different styles of turban.
This website also give users an option to buy sikh turban online.
Your co-operation will be highly appreciated if you can forward this to
your sikh friends to know about this website. Doing so we will make sure
that sikh turbans and kids keskis are delivered to your doorsteps almost
every part of the globe.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM