• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General Turban Saves Man's Life In Brutal Attack

Apr 4, 2007
Hood no match for Turbanator | Herald Sun

SIKH service station worker attacked by a bandit with a baseball bat says his turban saved his life.

Amandeep Singh weathered a rain of blows from the would-be robber, then managed to disarm him and use the bat to give as good as he got.
"I smacked him," he said. "After that, he fell to the ground.
"When he stood up, he said, 'I'm bleeding, I'm bleeding.'
Thwarted, the bandit fled empty-handed.

Mr Singh said the man entered the Coles Express about 12.10am yesterday and asked him for car oil.
Suddenly, he rushed Mr Singh, repeatedly punching him and striking him in the head and face with the sawn-off bat.
"He just started beating me with his fists and then he pulled out a baseball bat," Mr Singh told the Herald Sun.
"I am a Sikh, and I wear a turban. He hit me on the turban with the bat, and somehow I managed to grab the bat from his hand and I hit him back.
"He came rushing towards me, and I knew something was wrong. All I know is, my turban saved my life."

The 25-year-old TAFE student spent the night in Maroondah Hospital, where he was treated for facial injuries including a suspected broken nose and severe cuts and bruises.
But he said the attack would not stop him from returning to work at the outlet in Stud Rd, Wantirna South.
"I'm not a coward, so I will be going back to work. I'll be back there on Saturday," he said.

Sen-Det Paul Cosgrove, of Knox police, said Mr Singh had been forced to defend himself from a vicious and brazen attack, and had reacted bravely.
"It's fairly nasty, and there's a fair bit of blood everywhere," Sen-Det Cosgrove said.
"There were no demands. He just attacked. He (Mr Singh) was confident enough to take some evasive action and, as a result, has prevented further harm to himself."

The attacker was described as Caucasian, about 177cm tall, of a thin to medium build.
"I don't hate him," Mr Singh said of his attacker.
"But why would he do this to me? What have I done to him?"

JamesStern

SPNer
Apr 2, 2008
Wow what an account of a random act of violence. I would imagine the attacker had some kind of mental disability to go so polar on the clerk. Although, at the same time it could have been willful in which case I suppose it would be considered a hate crime.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
There is no telling James ji what gets people started. A few years back 4 Indian students were renting the house next to me. Three were Hindu, one was not. They were victims of numerous examples of property vandalism, breaking and entering and arguments, vandalism of their automobiles, all by neighbors. It was a year after 9/11.

They were so kind -- and would try to have talks with the kids who were mostly responsible, even inviting them in for some cookies and tea.

One day I spoke to the mother of one of the children -- she looked at me and said But Aaron (fake name for obvious reasons) is nothing but an Arab! Why do you care? And I said, But Aaron is a Catholic! She turned white. A Catholic? Yeah!!!!!

So it didn't really matter -- Indian or Arab -- Muslim, Hindu, or Catholic! Hatred is an equal opportunity presence in our lives. Many times people don't often feel that THEY need to check their own motivations. So they shoot first and ask questions later.

Jan 15, 2008
Kansas & Haiti
He looks AWESOME with his hair showing. You just never see that. I am always so curious about how long people's hair is. I'm just letting mine grow so it's only to about the middle of my shoulderblades. But I always wonder about the men -- does their hair just keep getting longer and longer like women's do? Like down to their thighs and such? I have quite a bit of native american blood and we all have really fast growing hair that will just keep getting longer and longer right on down to calf length. It's crazy. My daughter's hair grows even faster than mine. Her's went from about two inches long to below her waste in 4 years.

The thing is, that little wooden comb is really damaging to my hair... it breaks it. I have to have a large toothed comb made out of smooth plastic or it will break my hair.

Off topic I know...

:)

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
He looks AWESOME with his hair showing. You just never see that. I am always so curious about how long people's hair is. I'm just letting mine grow so it's only to about the middle of my shoulderblades. But I always wonder about the men -- does their hair just keep getting longer and longer like women's do? Like down to their thighs and such? I have quite a bit of native american blood and we all have really fast growing hair that will just keep getting longer and longer right on down to calf length. It's crazy. My daughter's hair grows even faster than mine. Her's went from about two inches long to below her waste in 4 years.

The thing is, that little wooden comb is really damaging to my hair... it breaks it. I have to have a large toothed comb made out of smooth plastic or it will break my hair.

Off topic I know...

:)
Hair reach a certain length then stop growing. Your daughter hair won't grow longer than they are supposed to be. My hair were always down to my knees, when I was 2 feets tall it was knee length and now i am 6 feet still knee length. Shows how the body changes the hair length according to the body.
Maybe the quality of the wood of yor comb isnt good.

Jan 15, 2008
Kansas & Haiti
Wow... your hair is knee length! I just think that's so beautiful! I love long hair.

On the comb -- those wooden combs have teeth that are really close together and my hair is very thick but the hair itself is fine and curly. That means there's lots of hair that tangles easily and is so fine it will break if not combed really carefully. If the teeth of the comb aren't pretty far apart I really can't use it or I'll end up with a handful of broken off hair every time. I wish I could find a wooden comb with large teeth that were smooth and round. The only ones I've seen are very small, close together teeth that are square cut. That doesn't work on thick curly hair.

I wonder about that too. I've seen a few older Sikh men that have been Sikhs all their lives but their hair is only shoulder length. I wondered if its because some of those fine toothed wooden combs rip your hair so bad.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Wow... your hair is knee length! I just think that's so beautiful! I love long hair.

On the comb -- those wooden combs have teeth that are really close together and my hair is very thick but the hair itself is fine and curly. That means there's lots of hair that tangles easily and is so fine it will break if not combed really carefully. If the teeth of the comb aren't pretty far apart I really can't use it or I'll end up with a handful of broken off hair every time. I wish I could find a wooden comb with large teeth that were smooth and round. The only ones I've seen are very small, close together teeth that are square cut. That doesn't work on thick curly hair.

I wonder about that too. I've seen a few older Sikh men that have been Sikhs all their lives but their hair is only shoulder length. I wondered if its because some of those fine toothed wooden combs rip your hair so bad.
Not many people love long hair, probably because they havent seen them very much, and the media is of no help. :mad: Have u heard about "the forbidden kingdom" the trailer shows Jackie Chan with long dreadlocks. He looks SIKH!!(pun intended). NOw if only they showed him with a beard. I would go even more crazy about seeing him in the movie!!! :crazy:

About the old sikh men: Well, it could be their genes. It could also be because of old age, stress, etc.:)
I personally stopped using my wooden comb. It worked fine but mine was too small and it took me a while to get my hair combed. Now i just keep it in my pocket and comb my little beard with it, when no one is looking:whisling:. Also it wasnt good quality, it teeth had teeth, if u know wut i mean. I ran a sandpaper through them and that did the job.
I guess u could use another comb and then stick the wooden one in ur hair or something... I am assuming u wear a turban. :hmm:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM