Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

The turban "dilemma".

Discussion in 'New to Sikhism' started by Quantonium, Jul 14, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Quantonium

Quantonium
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Hello!

I am a guy from Norway, 21 years old, and have a massive interest in all religions, and history. Sikhi has, for me, been one of my largest interests, and I love the sikh way of life. I started reading about sikhi for maybe 2 years ago, and over that time I have come to realize more and more the beauty of this so simple, yet obviously truthful living, that is to be a sikh.

Anyway.. I haven't cut any hair for one year now, and my hair was already long, so it reaches my lower back now. I have been thinking a lot about the turban. I love wearing one, and, despite there probably being no white sikhs in Norway, love to prove to myself that I am not afraid to show my love for the One. My problem, if you could call it that, is that I am uncertain about wearing it at all times. Inside me, I really feel an urge to wear turban for the rest of my life, devoting my whole being to living with God in my mind. On the other hand, it is a very tough decision to make, especially since I have not even taken amrit. I feel wearing the turban now and then is wrong.. I feel that when I wear the turban, I do not want to disgrace myself by doing wrong things in my life. But when I take it off, that I kind of "allow" myself not to be so perfect. It is a confusing thought, and my ego seems to take control.

It is, for me, obvious that the right thing to do is constantly remember God, and wear turban all the time. But I'm having trouble winning over my laziness. I don't really know what I want an answer to, since I've already seen through my minds game, but it would be nice to hear about someone else' experience around this topic.

Sat Sri Akaal!
    Quantonium~

• Like Like x 4
  2. Loading...