Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

The truth and the thieves, can they be useful?

Discussion in 'Sikh Sikhi Sikhism' started by Harry Haller, Jun 10, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Harry Haller

Harry Haller United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

so let us try something pragmatic, I am in business, I have rents to pay, three dogs to feed, a cat, the washing machine is up the spout, my landlord is upset because the puppies have eaten away a lot of the woodwork in our living room, I have only just finished laying out money to have the garden turfed and cleaned up, one sofa has been completely ripped apart, so we have to sit on the other sofa, not a huge problem, but as can be seen, every penny makes a difference,.

I have just listed some hardware on ebay, the new price is £699, they seem to be selling for £399 second hand, I paid £100, a supplier is expecting a payment of at least £200 by 4pm today, the best offer at present is £250 x 2, what should I do?

I would have been happy with £200 x 2, but now I have an idea of interest, I am getting greedy, also pride is there, in that I am not going to let these go for less than they are worth, should I take the money, or hold out for a few days and get the best price?

Chazji in particular, I would be interested in your take on this

Chazji replied,

Which I happen to think is a very good answer! I thought best to start another thread as I want the thieves to come into play here

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Should One Always Tell The Truth? Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Sep 20, 2016
    Tat Khalsa V/s Bandai Khalsa : What Is Truth? History of Sikhism Jun 30, 2016
    Truth and Shame in the Community Love & Marriage Jan 3, 2016
    Sikhi Guru Nanak's Methodology Of Finding Truth Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Jan 1, 2016
    Spiritual The Honest Truth of My Beliefs Blogs Oct 30, 2015

3. Harry Haller

Harry Haller United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

Ahh contentment, yes I remember that, although it is something I have not felt in years, there is always something to go to war for, the fighting never stops, with a bit more money, I could get the vaccines for the dogs done today, a few days early, instead of waiting for the day on the dot and then having to find it at the last minute, I could get Dan injections for his ears instead of having to clean out his ears by hand, I could get new tyres for the wifes car as it is pulling to the left because one of the tyres is worn, thought not illegal, so the greed I feel is not for me, it is for another, I feel greed in order to help others, does that negate it? does that make it ok? If I felt the concept of greed in order to do more assistance, and it helped others, I wonder how that works...

When does seva for others kick in, at what point do you look beyond your immediate family problems and decide to help others instead?

that is a given :)
    There is a fine line here, too cheap is as bad as too expensive, the price has to be just right, like the porridge in the 3 bears story, too cheap and your family may suffer, too expensive and you have ripped someone off.. the true price is the true price, anything else is false

If you have hungry faces looking at you, is that a bad thing to be thinking?

Are the thieves useful in any way ?

Does conquering them completely or attempting to turn you into a doormat?

Is life without the thieves like a living death? a Buddhist fantasy of no desire, no attraction or aversion to anything, just level emotions no matter what, did our Gurus live like this? I happen to believe what they did was accept everything and try their hardest to make things happen, they fought, they had passion, they did not let their emotions rule them, but I think we can safely say they felt emotion, had emotions.

4. chazSingh

chazSingh Ireland
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

i'm not sure what you're describing here is greed.
    greed is wanting more than you actually need and require...if it is true greed, the greed will transform into plotting ways to get that extra money...so the transaction becomes untruthful

you need the extra money to get by and cover costs...be content with what you get knowing you have kept your integrity and kept the transaction truthful...

in business if you don't make the extra money, you have no money to spend...if you have no money to spend then you don;t have any money to give to others as charity and help, and no extra money to give to support other businesses...so everyone struggles...

Look at every transaction in terms of "is this something i need, or something i want"

The target is 10% of your time and your earnings...i still haven't got anywhere close to giving this...but i'm finding making small changes to my lifestyle and sacrificing a couple of things is making it easier..

we have to do these things to actually start seeing god in all, to break the barriers of this is me and my family and the rest of you are all seperate...

• Like Like x 1