• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

The Tenth Gate, The Dasam Dwaar

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Dasam Duar is the practice and experience of the individual and of the individual only. It manifests itself through one's deeds, not through any words/essays/lectures.

Living like a Grihasti- as discussed here in another thread- only happens through the Dasam Duar in my opinion. The rest is all nonsensical babble full of Me-ism.

Tejwant Singh

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
The dasam dwar is not mystical but refers to the brain. The brain is the site of consciousness, integrating physical and emotional information and controlling how we behave both physically, morally and spiritually. Therefore the brain is the door to our consciousness. The Guru's always tried to make everything accessible to all regardless of their background so it doesn't make sense that such an important door should be so mysterious. Without a brain, spirituality cannot be accessed so we all have a dasam dwar. However, the choice is whether to open it to spirituality and a Sikh way of life.

Last edited:

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Long live, Jimmy Hendrix!!!

I'm glad that you noticed the humour in my comment !!!
Findingmyway has pointed in the right way to associate it with the 'brain' as well !!

From what I can gather, this is some part of us that is associated with neurochemical processes of the brain.
When you can align this with your God focused consciousness, only then can you experience the true essence!
This is what the religious scholars are actually referring to.
As one can still have dasam duar (activation) and be totally self absorbed atheist,agnostic..etc...

There are many people who have experienced these neurochemical processes without any association with God-consciousness.-YES, the example of Hendrix, Lennon..etc. using recreational drugs to get this.

FACT(I have gathered after researching many different sources)
- the same mystical sounds you can hear via dasam duar, can also be heard when you are on a trip of pure acid or LSD !!
Also note, that purer forms of LSD are rarely experienced with users after the late 80's. So the one's used in the hippy days were the ultimate experience. Therefore, there is no point in our younger readers to try and bother experimenting with nowaday street acid(lsd) !

Infact, this was one of the reasons why Lennon was interested in yoga and meditation, since he was realising that one should be able to tap into these same areas of the brain without any drugs !

Have you ever wondered what the ringing of bells and drums is all about in the white hippy hari krishna movements ?

All the recognition that your consciousness experiences is associated with memory and conditioning that comes via the brain !
I do also believe that your consciousness can be an entity on it's own and can exist completey away from the brain, but all it's experiences are still associated with memory!!
This is one important aspect that no one can actually define properly!

The mistake a lot of us sikhs make is understanding what gurbani and gurus talked about when discussing dasam duar.
We have to remember the 10th gate term was already coined by the siddhs and yogis, but the gurus took it to a different level.
There is no point in doing just physical yoga or taking acid trips to activate dasam duar if there is no God consciousness within one's self.
-This is where most of us don't seem to get the message !!
Alot of the heavy meditators know that their 10th gate is open from colours/sounds/visions..etc.. but if they don't have any 'DHIAN" on God, then there is NO Gurmat Gyan either.
Since a person that meditates very deeply doesn't mean that they are a God or waheguru bhagti.
Because meditation does not mean simran.
Simran= Meditation with Waheguru 'DHIAN'

It really is that simple !!

Last edited:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I'm glad that you noticed the humour in my comment !!!
Findingmyway has pointed in the right way to associate it with the 'brain' as well !!

From what I can gather, this is some part of us that is associated with neurochemical processes of the brain.
When you can align this with your God focused consciousness, only then can you experience the true essence!
This is what the religious scholars are actually referring to.
As one can still have dasam duar (activation) and be totally self absorbed atheist,agnostic..etc...

There are many people who have experienced these neurochemical processes without any association with God-consciousness.-YES, the example of Hendrix, Lennon..etc. using recreational drugs to get this.

FACT(I have gathered after researching many different sources)
- the same mystical sounds you can hear via dasam duar, can also be heard when you are on a trip of pure acid or LSD !!
Also note, that purer forms of LSD are rarely experienced with users after the late 80's. So the one's used in the hippy days were the ultimate experience. Therefore, there is no point in our younger readers to try and bother experimenting with nowaday street acid(lsd) !

Infact, this was one of the reasons why Lennon was interested in yoga and meditation, since he was realising that one should be able to tap into these same areas of the brain without any drugs !

Have you ever wondered what the ringing of bells and drums is all about in the white hippy hari krishna movements ?

All the recognition that your consciousness experiences is associated with memory and conditioning that comes via the brain !
I do also believe that your consciousness can be an entity on it's own and can exist completey away from the brain, but all it's experiences are still associated with memory!!
This is one important aspect that no one can actually define properly!

The mistake a lot of us sikhs make is understanding what gurbani and gurus talked about when discussing dasam duar.
We have to remember the 10th gate term was already coined by the siddhs and yogis, but the gurus took it to a different level.
There is no point in doing just physical yoga or taking acid trips to activate dasam duar if there is no God consciousness within one's self.
-This is where most of us don't seem to get the message !!
Alot of the heavy meditators know that their 10th gate is open from colours/sounds/visions..etc.. but if they don't have any 'DHIAN" on God, then there is NO Gurmat Gyan either.
Since a person that meditates very deeply doesn't mean that they are a God or waheguru bhagti.
Because meditation does not mean simran.
Simran= Meditation with Waheguru 'DHIAN'

It really is that simple !!

yes my dear northern brother, it is

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
I have not experienced the Dasam Dwar & i personally feel it's in the hand of Waheguru whom to honour this situation.

But i feel, any who experiences this can't tell it's conditions so confidently as been told by Bhagat Singh Ji above.

Sant Ravidas Ji Says - "Jab Hum Hote Tab Tu Nahi ... Ab Tuhi Mein Nahi". It's a very powerful thing said by Sant Ji. Before the opening of Dasam Dwar it's all me...me...and me ... but post opening it's allll YOU ..... YOU & YOU ...

"Jab Hum Hote Tab Tu Nahi ... Ab Tuhi Mein Nahi". It's a very powerful thing said by Sant Ji. Before the opening of Dasam Dwar it's all me...me...and me ... but post opening it's allll YOU ..... YOU & YOU ..

Beautiful, and from my own experiences very true.

I cannot be certain that dassam duar is open in me...because dassam duar is just a term in this physical world that is being used to describe this state of being...which we can probably never describe in language anyway

but many say that throughout the day or during Simran you will feel pressure, pins and needles like trickles on the top of your head..
others say you will see parkash - light of your soul, and hear the sounds of the shabad within you like drums, flutes, bells during meditation/simran

have i experienced some of these? yes daily in my simran/mediation, am i certain that dassam duar is open...nope.....do i care? no :) i am merely a witness to things...nothing is in my control..all is in His control though :)

But like the above...the sense of me me me starts to dissapear, and the feeling of all you you you (God) starts to manifest and all the petty argumensts you have in your life start to feel silly, having your sole aim of getting the best car or biggest house starts to drop down the list :)

problem is when you have a wife that wants to argue with everyone, and your feeling the exact opposite...challenging indeed, but all part of our spiritual progression i would imagine

God bless ji

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Your whole attitude and perspective on life changes.
There is also a lot of confusion and overlapping with the terms of 3rd eye/dasam duar and kundalini.

My own interpretation is that firstly the 3rd eye is the beginning and awareness stage.
Then I see kundalini as the ''knot'' between Maya and Mind, when you undo this knot then you begin to 'disassociate' with maya.
(NOTE- Kundalini is also represented as a serpent in many texts and important is the serpent in Adam and Eve mythology, which is about the awakening of this maya-mind knot!!!)

Then the dasam duar is the real goal/doorway to open by his grace!

My own interpretation from my own experience !!

Last edited:

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
Your whole attitude and perspective on life changes.
There is also a lot of confusion and overlapping with the terms of 3rd eye/dasam duar and kundalini.

My own interpretation is that firstly the 3rd eye is the beginning and awareness stage.
Then I see kundalini as the ''knot'' between Maya and Mind, when you undo this knot then you begin to 'disassociate' with maya.
(NOTE- Kundalini is also represented as a serpent in many texts and important is the serpent in Adam and Eve mythology, which is about the awakening of this maya-mind knot!!!)

Then the dasam duar is the real goal/doorway to open by his grace!

My own interpretation from my own experience !!

seems to be occuring in this order for me also :)

do you feel the kundalini energy as well? for me (if it is kundalini) it's felt like subtle rushed of energy waves passing through me from the bottom of my spine upwards...
one one occasion though it was overwhelming and i couldnt move, but not scary :)
note for other seekers... remove all expectation of experiences, go with the flow...sit in the boat of the guru, and let the will of God guide you...just be witness to it all and nothing more...be greatful if any experience occurs and greatful if nothing seems to occur...remove ego, and surrender it all to God.

God bless.

god bless.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
seems to be occuring in this order for me also

note for other seekers... remove all expectation of experiences, go with the flow...sit in the boat of the guru, and let the will of God guide you...just be witness to it all and nothing more...be greatful if any experience occurs and greatful if nothing seems to occur...remove ego, and surrender it all to God.

God bless.

god bless.

It is very important that one focuses on the actual waheguru simran and NOT the distractions of meditation.

There is the manmat approach on meditation which involves just trying to achieve intuition, control, riddi siddian, chakra activations, clairvoyancy skills...etc... and all that other crap that you can read about.
But for a sikh of the guru, the DHIAN must be on waheguru and the simran should NOT be about gain in any sense but PURE DEVOTION !!

We know of gursikhs that do their daily banis like clockwork and according to the clock- they think to themselves...''.Now,I will do rehras,kirtan sohila..etc... all in 25 minutes today'' and then they get going with their speed read!!!!!!!!!!!!
..WHERE THE HELL IS THERE ANY GURMAT DEVOTION IN THAT??????

Isn't it better to devote just a few minutes with no clock, no time issue, no timing, no counting of saying ''WAHEGURU' with NO OTHER THOUGHTS at all in your head and just pure devotion to the dhuni or sound of 'waheguru' vibrating within you ??

To me it makes more sense and more spiritually uplifiting to give just the word 'waheguru' some dhian instead of speed reading nitnem.

With regards to kundalini,- No I don't feel the rush of energies as such but that may be because I have nearly two dozen smashed vertebrae in my spine.!!!
Infact,I was one of those few who had the kundalini knot unfold mainly through injury.
When I first started meditation I was looking into Kundalini yoga stuff as that is all you can find when you first start. After a while, I realised that I had already had this awakening or rising without any self effort!!
I don't want to go off topic here, since we shouldn't mix and overlap them with gurmat simran.
However, I am enrolled to start kundalini yoga classes after next month to see what it is all really about.
I want to see and experience for myself what the truth is in this 3HO linked controversy.
...I will let you know what I encounter!!!

Last edited:

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
An easier way in my personal opinion to put kundalini and dasam duar is that-

-Kunadilini is the breaking away from the knot between Maya-and-Mind.

A person becomes disassociated with the worldly entanglements quite easily.
Your aspects and view on life change and turn around completely.
Getting stuck at traffic lights or behind a trailer no longer increase your heart rate!
When your kids play up, you no longer get annoyed.
You don't get peed off when you just paid 300 bucks for a new tire and it blows out after a week!!!

This is just one of the stages in avastha and how it plays practically in every day life.

I'm pretty certain that Chazji has attained this as well.
The worrying thing is that everyone around you can begin to worry that something is wrong with you!!!
They feel that you have lost it a little since losing your wallet with your weeks wage worth doesn't get you so annoyed or frustrated !!
BUT- you have never felt better and in more control!
Infact, you look back and think how lost you really were before.

This is all what I feel the effects are of this so called kundalini awakening or early stages of avastha.

Then with Dasam Duar, which is the next level of avastha- it is simply a doorway!
BUT- the realisation coming through the door way is not what you think you see, but what sees you as well ???

-I would like to think of it as an early step of many further steps to ''God-Realisation''

This is when the ''I'' and ''ME'' begins to disappear.
The biggest realisation is that you begin to see that you are part of HIM and that it is ALL HIM.
It was Never you as you thought, but it was always HIM.

There is NO 'you','me','them' 'I'..etc.. it is ALL HIM.

THEN- the next stage where you really realise that it is a doorway opened by only HIM,- is when you REALISE that all the time you 'thought' you were searching to find and be with HIM. He was Actually LOOKING for YOU, thus NOW he has opened the door and found YOU!

The SEARCH was HIS not yours.

chazSingh

Writer
SPNer
Feb 20, 2012
This is just one of the stages in avastha and how it plays practically in every day life.

I'm pretty certain that Chazji has attained this as well.
The worrying thing is that everyone around you can begin to worry that something is wrong with you!!!
They feel that you have lost it a little since losing your wallet with your weeks wage worth doesn't get you so annoyed or frustrated !!
BUT- you have never felt better and in more control!
Infact, you look back and think how lost you really were before.

glad you bought this up...my wife has a very short fuse...recently she lost herself to anger and hurled abuse at me for about 2 hours...what a beautiful test god puts before me to witness my own ego....and for the first time i felt no hurt, anger towards her, the need to argue back to prove my point...i just smiled back.

you could see her programmed mind of thought patterns having a little technical glitch...she didnt know how to react...she said "you're not arguing back...shall i swear even more...?" i said "yes, as much as you want to...let it all out" and smiled.

pretty soon after she calmed down...her mind had to re-evaluate everything...her ego wasn't getting the usual response back that it needed to continue arguing. her ego wasnt being fed...

Is a pretty cool feeling when you see this happen and see the ego as a seperate entity to 'Self'.

It was Never you as you thought, but it was always HIM.

There is NO 'you','me','them' 'I'..etc.. it is ALL HIM.

If He is all that truely exists...he obviously felt He needed to experience complete seperateness to himself via the Ego, in order to realise himself.

like being born in light, and then being sent to live in darkness, so that you can appreciate, understand, learn more and be aware more of the light.

we return home, knowing more about God, appreciation, understanding, awareness and oneness with Him...than we could ever have experienced if we didnt come into this experience of duality.

Just some thoughts i had recently :)

God bless

Mar 8, 2013
i dont think it happens a lot maybe to 1 or 2 blessed ones out of billions over centuries, thats my view, just jap naam and leave it to guru ji, he knows whats best for us.

WJKK WJKF

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
i dont think it happens a lot maybe to 1 or 2 blessed ones out of billions over centuries, thats my view, just jap naam and leave it to guru ji, he knows whats best for us.

WJKK WJKF

I do not buy into what either Chazji or Luckyji describe, but that is more my failing than a reflection on them, however, I think we can take it that at least 2 people are well on the way, and that is just on this forum, so I think you possibly may be mistaken.

As for naam japping and leaving it to Guru ji, this is not the essence of Sikhism, Sikhism is a proactive religion, we make the changes ourselves, we follow Hukam and we live the life that was intended for us to live. This requires discipline, intelligence, understanding. Simply hiding away and mumbling words and hoping for the best is not what Sikhism is about.

Mar 8, 2013
I do not buy into what either Chazji or Luckyji describe, but that is more my failing than a reflection on them, however, I think we can take it that at least 2 people are well on the way, and that is just on this forum, so I think you possibly may be mistaken.

As for naam japping and leaving it to Guru ji, this is not the essence of Sikhism, Sikhism is a proactive religion, we make the changes ourselves, we follow Hukam and we live the life that was intended for us to live. This requires discipline, intelligence, understanding. Simply hiding away and mumbling words and hoping for the best is not what Sikhism is about.

Ok well i havent met the two individuals you refer to or any so far, but as far as mumbling words is concerned, if you call waheguru jaap mumblimg words then thats up to you and leaving it to Guru ji well he is the final judge or have you become that too! The essence/ hukam of sikhi is pyar,nimarta ,nishkam sewa and accepting gods will, not looking for rewards or judging others. the Dasam dwaar opens when he wills not us, your absolutely right being a Gursikh does require understanding discipline etc, but humility, love ,respect tolerance are also key to being a Gursikh, The Sant and sipahi concept not just sipahi!

I like many others do my best and do not judge!! but your comments sounds like you are judging people you have never met with comments like Simply hiding away and mumbling words and hoping for the best.

WJKK WJKF

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I have not posted on this thread as I have no interest in the tenth gate.

God, in my view, is not sitting up in heaven making notes and judging all of us, this is not a test, we will not die and be judged, there is no judgement day, these are all Abrahamic concepts. Creation judges us, and Creation has more respect for actions than word repetition.

Mar 8, 2013
I have not posted on this thread as I have no interest in the tenth gate.

God, in my view, is not sitting up in heaven making notes and judging all of us, this is not a test, we will not die and be judged, there is no judgement day, these are all Abrahamic concepts. Creation judges us, and Creation has more respect for actions than word repetition.

I dont agree with you on this, but you are entitled to your views, just like the rest of us. as far as God making notes LOL.

WJKK WJKF

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
satt;180876]but as far as mumbling words is concerned, if you call waheguru jaap mumblimg words then thats up to you and leaving it to Guru ji well he is the final judge or have you become that too!

Satt ji,

Guru Fateh.

Can you please elaborate what "Waheguru Jaap" means? Please use Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, our only Guru as your guide.

When you say,"he is the final judge ", who is HE and this sounds like a deity which Sikhi does not have? Please elaborate this as well with the help of Gurbani.

Is parroting words for hours part of Sikhi?

If it is, then many other people from different religions also parrot, a mechanical ritual of repetition and use different words. Are they all wrong?

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Last edited:

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
If He is all that truely exists...he obviously felt He needed to experience complete seperateness to himself via the Ego, in order to realise himself.
like being born in light, and then being sent to live in darkness, so that you can appreciate, understand, learn more and be aware more of the light.
we return home, knowing more about God, appreciation, understanding, awareness and oneness with Him...than we could ever have experienced if we didnt come into this experience of duality.

SPOT ON !!!
(I haven't said that for years- it's a little of my Manchester twang back in UK !):happysingh:
This 'Duality' is a huge part of the life equation.
I mentioned this somewhere else before about how we have to accept and acknowledge duality.
Like you say, you don't know what the LIGHT is if you don't experience DARKNESS !
But we have to remember and understand that darkness exists because firstly there was light.
First was GOD or the Whole Supreme GOD-consciousness.
Then came the rest of creation, which is still part of HIM.
In this manner, we and the whole of creation are NOT us, but we are HIM, the Creator.

With the Dualities of this world, we have to experience the Maya Illusion.
Gurbani often mentions 'crossing the world ocean'' which in effect is the World/Maya ocean, since this has to be crossed and swam through to reach the PURE TRUTH.

There are some that kind of reject all of this world/life/maya since it is a kind of illusion!
But, that is NOT why the Lord put us here is it ?
He didn't put us here to reject it because it is false and not real !
We have to REALISE that we exist within these dualities which we can only rise above if we actually recognize and accept them.
Once you recognize and realise their existence, only then can you start to chip away on the dividing line.
The idea is to be 'advait' and have no duality by conquering it and not by denying it.
For eg.. the Nirgun/Sargun aspects are there to accept.
-A Gurmukh accepts and sees no difference in Dukh or Sukh.
-A Gurmukh doesn't become 'NUMB' to these effects of dukh/sukh, but the Gurmukh accepts them both on an EQUAL scale as part of his HUKAM.
-A Gurmukh has the same affect from suffering as from joy.
-A Gurmukh accepts creation and creator as ALL one.
-A Gurmukh rises above the maya illusion or world ocean to cross it, thus the Gurmukh rises above the dividing duality line to get across.
................. I think you get the idea !!

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver

WJKK WJKF

That's like taking your driving test without any lessons !
Just go and do it and then see what happens !!

SIKHISM is NOT about naam japping or wearing your 5k's if your conduct is NOT gurmat !
Sikhism is NOT a religion as such, since you don't have to be sikh to live according to Gurbani.
Sikhism is a WAY OF LIFE.

Life is NOT a game where you just give it your best shot and see what the judge decides.
LIFE is a GIFT!!

The funny thing is naam japping means something completely different to most other people.
I mentioned earlier somewhere that most people don't even have any devotion when they do nitnem!
The only devotion is their time allocation to sit and do some speed reading.
As for naam japping, most of these do the same-they don't have an ounce of heartly devotion, they are just devoting their tongue without any vibration of naam within and without any dhian or focus.

You have to understand exactly what you do and why you do it in sikhism.
If you have the attitude of ''just do it and see what the Lord decides'' then you are not living the sikh way of life.

In sikhsim you have to focus on your actions and conduct yourself according to gurmat and gurbani.
This focusing is 'DHIAN'
Then with this DHIAN comes and follows the GHIAN (knowledge).

That's a little of what I think of sikhism, in addition to what Harryji kindly mentioned.

A sikh doesn't have to practice manual simran and meditation to become gurmukh. But these tools are there to help you 'focus' if you need.
Some of us are strong enough to carry out gurmat conduct in our actions with the guide of Guruji and shabad, whereas some of us need something practical to help us focus which in turn can reflect in our conduct.
This is where you can use real naam jap simran or meditation.
But the naam jap simran is not going to get you sikhi brownie points, it's just going to help you focus in your day to day conduct.

Mar 8, 2013
Satt ji,

Guru Fateh.

Can you please elaborate what "Waheguru Jaap" means? Please use Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, our only Guru as your guide.

When you say,"he is the final judge ", who is HE and this sounds like a deity which Sikhi does not have? Please elaborate this as well with the help of Gurbani.

Is parroting words for hours part of Sikhi?

If it is, then many other people from different religions also parrot, a mechanical ritual of repetition and use different words. Are they all wrong?

Thanks & regards

Tejwant Singh

Did you not see the word Guru ji in front of he, who said anything about parroting, waheguru jaap ,naam simram, naam abhias, if u dont know what this is then stop lecturing us !!, also stop twisting people words to look good in front of your friends harry and lucky.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: