• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

General The Problem With Religion

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
KDS, when I recommended the Quran I was not a muslim lol. Yes, my views have changed over time, it's kind of interesting to read later in life (it's like your viewing your growth)

Dear s1kh

I know it.I know you very well you are member of this site before i joined.If i am not wrong it was you told me the condition of sikhi in uk,canada,usa and even about the equation of boys and girls keeping uncut hair.

Let me tell you one more thing your title of that thread is so misleading that many people
who joined this were very angry with.some even thought that this site is just a conspiracy
to convert sikhs to islam.

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
Dear s1kh

I know it.I know you very well you are member of this site before i joined.If i am not wrong it was you told me the condition of sikhi in uk,canada,usa and even about the equation of boys and girls keeping uncut hair.

Let me tell you one more thing your title of that thread is so misleading that many people
who joined this were very angry with.some even thought that this site is just a conspiracy
to convert sikhs to islam.

Probably was me, and I knew I recognized your user name from before =)

Also, how is the title of that thread misleading? It was exactly that, reccomending Sikhs to read a text that they refuse to read out of blatant ignorance. As far as Sikhs thinking it was a conspiracy is just idiotic and intolerance.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Also, how is the title of that thread misleading? It was exactly that, reccomending Sikhs to read a text that they refuse to read out of blatant ignorance. As far as Sikhs thinking it was a conspiracy is just idiotic and intolerance.

The only people who glorify and encourage people to read quran are muslims,not atheists,agnostics,sikhs etc.So obvoiously when someone read that thread then his first impression is going to be that the thread is started by a muslim pretending to be a sikh

ISDhillon

SPNer
Dec 13, 2005
ISDillon ji

let me say it cannot be ignored that jews are the most creative and genius people I have ever come across I respect the jews and I believe this stems from my upbringing as a sikh you must ask christians what was lacking in the vision of their religions as to why they could not extend the same admiration.

You are putting forth an issue that deserves an explanation in a Sikh forum -- because the information needed to answer it is not always out in front for non-Christians to understand.

Unlike Judaism, Christianity in most of its forms believes that life after death is a defined state of being.

Many sects of Christians also believe that life after death can include eternal damnation.

Sikhism is very different. Sikhism holds that there may be more than one lifetime to endure after death; however one can be liberated from karma.

Keep in mind that there are many different Christian denominations. And they vary considerably in terms of their belief in eternal damnation. Roman Catholocism sees eternal damnation only for those who consciously and deliberately deny God and choose Evil-- and even with that there are exceptions.

Other groups -- evangelical Christian groups, for example, see things differently. They believe eternal damnation is a very real possibility, for those who have not accepted Jesus as their personal saviour.

Christians who believe in eternal damnation also believe that the only escape is to accept Jesus Christ as their personal savior, and to be baptized in his name. These sects of Christians therefore have a strong commitment to missionary work-- the goal being to save as many souls as possible from damnation. They do this in the name of Jesus. They also believe they are called by God do missionary work, and must obey this command. To save their own souls.

I hope that made sense.

Thankyou for this I think perhaps you may have mistaken what I was referring to in my earlier post, let me explain there has been a long tradition in xtianity which feels the need to set up a paralell community due to the dichotomy of good/evil which is present within its religious doctrine, the "other" is made out to be a threat, the "threat" of yesteryears was judaism and this was mediated through historical incidents (crucification of jesus", in fact any self-determination of jews is seen as - "how can these people who crucified our lord be successfull", yes you are right it stems from the totalitarian creed in xtianity but unlike xtianity sikhism sees all religions as equally co-valid "depending upon their time space variables", after the holocaust many xtians enjoyed great relations with jews they said "its time we met", this left a cosy new space ,which, as we see, is to be filled by the muslims, they are the xtians "new jews".

Kind regards,

Indy;)

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Thankyou for this I think perhaps you may have mistaken what I was referring to in my earlier post,

I may have mistaken your point. It sounded as if you had a concern about Christians trying to convert Sikhs, Hindus, Muslims. And being a threat to those communities.

let me explain there has been a long tradition in xtianity which feels the need to set up a paralell community due to the dichotomy of good/evil which is present within its religious doctrine,

This not always true. Parallel Christian communities are very rare actually. They are more likely to be found and established among fundamentalist Christians who want to preserve the purity of their lifestyle as they define a pure lifestyle. Around the world, Christians live intermingled with people of other faiths just as often as they live separately and distinctly from people of other faiths. Yes, often there are "neighborhoods" of mostly Protestant, Catholic, Jewish peoples. But the divisons are more along ethnic and cultural lines, as in - the Jewish neighborhood, Pakistani neighborhood, Irish neighborhood. Immigration patterns and country of origin are more responsible for this tendency to live in ethnic groups; not religion. At least in the US and Europe this is the case
. As people become economically stable they move out of ethnic enclaves into very diverse communities.

the "other" is made out to be a threat, the "threat" of yesteryears was judaism and this was mediated through historical incidents (crucification of jesus", in fact any self-determination of jews is seen as - "how can these people who crucified our lord be successful",

There are still Christians who believe what you describe. There are also many Christians who believe themselves to be Jews who follow Jesus. And the tendency to blame Jews for the crucifixion of Jesus is as you say dying out. But it is not completely dead yet.

yes you are right it stems from the totalitarian creed in xtianity

I thought I spent a lot of time showing that Christianity is very diverse -- not totaliarian.

but unlike xtianity sikhism sees all religions as equally co-valid "depending upon their time space variables", after the holocaust many xtians enjoyed great relations with jews they said "its time we met",

They did?

this left a cosy new space ,which, as we see, is to be filled by the muslims, they are the xtians "new jews".

Muslims are having a hard time in this post 9/11 world. What makes it harder is the lack of information about other faiths, knowledge of other religions, and upbringing that favors compassion and open-mindedness. This is something that all religions need to address -- and I am not talking about the beauty of all religions, I am talking about the curative effects of expressing an honest desire to know more, to overcome ignorance.

As I read through your comments I gather that you are also living in a fair amount of ignorance about other religions and cultures. You are not alone. You have company. I myself need to learn more every day. It is always easier to have the answer before you know what questions could be asked. Finding out what questions should be asked is very difficult.

This forum however is a good place to start the kinds of dialogs where learning can happen. It happens here for me everyday.

ISDhillon

SPNer
Dec 13, 2005
aad i dont know whether youre having a bad day but you are from knowing my state of mind I suggest you focus on grasping the essence of what people write in their posts otherwise their can be no effective dialogue, kind regards, Indsta.

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
Prior to this thread being taken over by some random comments on my spewing muslim propaganda (lol look at the tolerance) ...

I recalled an example of Mother Teresa being used throughout this thread and the general question of "Why do good if there is no god" ...

TIME's #1 STORY OF THE YEAR :

#1. The Mother Teresa Revelations

Once the shock of Doubleday's August disclosure — that Teresa's private letters testified that she could not sense her beloved God for most of her last half-century — had abated, more serious questions could be joined. Did her epic "dryness" make her a greater saint or some kind of self-deceiver? Does faith consist merely of God's felt presence; and if not, how long can faith truly continue without it?

Top 10 Religion Stories - 50 Top 10 Lists of 2007 - TIME

Mother Teresa - The Crisis of Faith
http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1655415-1,00.html

Apparently she didn't even believe in god for the last half century..

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM