Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

The Khalsa

Discussion in 'Sikh Youth' started by Harvir007, Aug 31, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Harvir007

Harvir007
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

As I am still quite young I feel that I am too foolish and young to join the Khalsa. So my question is: Am I given a certain age up until then, where I have to join the Khalsa?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Tat Khalsa V/s Bandai Khalsa : What Is Truth? History of Sikhism Jun 30, 2016
    Great Sikh Women - Guru Fatha Singh Khalsa Essays on Sikhism Jun 26, 2016
    Khalsa Aid Khalsa Aid Comes To The Rescue Of People Stranded In Panipat Due To The #jaat Reservation Riots! Sikh Organisations Feb 23, 2016
    Sukhjit Kaur Khalsa On Australia's Got Talent Language, Arts & Culture Feb 9, 2016
    Sikhism Guru Gobind Singh’s Ideal of Khalsa Commonwealth: A Continuum of Basic Philosophy Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Jan 16, 2016

3. Archived_Member16

Archived_Member16
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor

Sikh Reht Maryada

Section Six - CHAPTER XIII - Article XXIV

( d.) Any man or woman of any country, religion or caste who embraces Sikhism and solemnly undertakes to abide by its principles is entitled to ambrosial baptism.The person to be baptised should not be of very young age; he or she should have attained a plausible degree of discretion.

source: http://www.sgpc.net/rehat_maryada/section_six.html

The above indicates that there is no formal age for becoming a baptized Sikh. It can be carried on any time when a Sikh thinks he or she is ready to fulfill the duties & responsibilities of being an Amritdhari Sikh / Khalsa.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Harvir007

Harvir007
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Thanks for insight.

5. BazGrewal

BazGrewal
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Like Soul Jyot said there is no age requirement but when you feel that you are ready. This also leads me to ask a question is is right to give Amrit to a newborn child like if both parents are Amritdhari, or should they wait till the child can make his or her own decision?