• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Gurus The Gurus' Wives?

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Khalsa Ji,

As I understand, one becomes free from the cycles of birth and death when spiritually it elevates itself above the Peocesses of Karmic Cycles. For this to be achieve, the person has to dissolve its ego and become an instrument of God. Such a person is not driven by desires. The person becomes Godly. It is the body which distingush such person from God; the peson's being is already one with 'The Sat'.

Members can read the literature describing the lifes of the wives of Guru Sahibans and see if they see any element of worldly desires or ego in them and then conclude for themselves.

Only the person knows if it is Mukta; no certificate is issued nor evolved people advertise such a state - such an advertisement is a proof that it is not so; the idividual still has ego left in it.

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal Singh

Roger

SPNer
Jan 3, 2010
Muland, Mumbai
Re: Enlightenment / Jeevan Mukthi?

“The questions, what is jeevan mukhti, how does one get it, who has it, and how do we know for sure that so and so achieved it, are common to the point of being mind-numbing. They may even be fruitless because the answers depend on tangible proofs of intangible qualities. It is very likely that someone who achieved jeevan mukhti in this lifetime cannot explain the mechanics of it but might try just to be helpful.” Narayanjot

Love, hate, anger, joy, sadness, happiness etc. are also intangible qualities but one doesn’t have to be a rocket scientist to see these qualities in others. Even a child is able to discern such intangible qualities. I’m not searching for “mechanics” of Jeevan Mukhti but its Attributes? What confirms that Gurus (or anyone else!) had achieved such a state? (I’m assuming that Enlightenment leads to jeevan mukhti.)

Gyani states Bhai Amardass Ji achieved it at age 80+..Zorawar Singh at age 5....maybe earlier even !!”Not sure what Gyani’s source of this information is but he seems convinced! Gyani also says ONLY a "jeewan Mukt" can possibly know/tell you..exactly "how" he achieved it. I only depend on what they DID/DO… Well, if Gurus had achieved such a state, didn’t they provide the answer to “how”? Moreover, can every “jeevan-mukth” be called a Guru, if not, why not?

“They are liberated, they are liberated-those who meditate on the Lord. For them, the noose of death is cut away.” Guru Granth

How does one know he or she is liberated? If liberation from death (cycle) is a result of enlightenment, which is due to meditation on the Lord, then what are the attributes of an enlightened person? Furthermore, what exactly is enlightenment?

“Jeewan Mukt is a STATE of well being..one with the Creator.” Gyani
“Only the person knows if it is Mukta; no certificate is issued nor evolved people advertise such a state” Amarpal Singh

I’ll presume “being..one with the Creator” means one in spirit (Soul). If someone is in such an extraordinary state, then surely, he or she cannot conceal the ensuing effect; And others, cannot be blind to the fact! To be one with “Limitless and Infiniteis surely a spiritual state, (obviously, no certificate or an advertisement needed!) Being One with God, and pretend you are not because it reflects that ego is still there is a strange line of thought. How would one hide the state of being One with God? Aren’t you limiting the limitless? So, what is Muktha supposed to do – go into mountains like Hindu Sadhu’s do and live alone, or teach others how to attain the Mukthi (as leader of Radha Soamis does)?

What role does Guru Granth provides (as to How to?) in attaining enlightenment and/or jeevan mukhti, and defining who is a Jeevan Mukth?

Thanks
Roger

Last edited:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

Roger ji

Some of the questions you asked have already been answered. Some of them are curious because they seem to be based on assumptions made by previous posters -- assumptions that they did not make. Re-read the last page or so of comments in response to your questions.

One last thought -- a hide-bound secularist might want evidence for everything. Something tells me you are not that. So what's up?

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
IN Gurbani Bhagat Ravidass Ji writes...I am beautiful...I am as educated as a Pandit..I am blessed with Gyan - knowledge, I am Rich and wealthy...I Give Daan - donations.....note that all these qualities are GOOD...BUT what makes even these "good qualities"..go sour..is when HANKAAR's onion skin gets on top...the person begins to think..I am the MOST Beautiful..the most educated..the one with the most knowledge..Gyaan..the most wealthiest...the GREATEST...I am the greatest donator...daani...etc...
IN the two panktees Bhagat ji doesnt even mention one bad attribute...like I am a CHOR...murderer..thief..nindak...BUT even a Chor can have the HANKAAR skin attached..and he thinks I am the Biggest THIEF..the cleverest murderer...etc. So while HANKAAR (just one of the five thieves that is inside us ) can make a "Bad" attribute worse..and a GOOD attribute go SOUR/Bad....then ELIMINATION of Hankaar can be one of the signs of Jeewan Mukt....REAL HUMILITY...REAL DYAA...are all steps towards this GOAL of JM....and YES..the Gurus, the Bhagats that are in SGGS are JM...their Bani proves it (to ME if that matters )

JimRinX

SPNer
Aug 13, 2008
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
All jis
Though, as many of you know, I'm not 'formally' a Sikh - but something of a hybrid freak, formed of the Best Parts of all religions - I still must say something about being in 'His Will'; as I'm as "Enslaved" by my devotion to Our Beautiful Lord (which, BTW, when I first read a Sihk giving that phrase as a description of God, was when I knew that we were Kindered Spirits!) as any of you!
I wonder; is not the object of this devotion to achieve Jivan Mukta? Is that not what Waheguru wants for us?
I think Roger jis question is a valid one; how could a Guru ever be a true 'soul mate' witha Wife who had not also attained Mukta?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
All jis
Though, as many of you know, I'm not 'formally' a Sikh - but something of a hybrid freak, formed of the Best Parts of all religions - I still must say something about being in 'His Will'; as I'm as "Enslaved" by my devotion to Our Beautiful Lord (which, BTW, when I first read a Sihk giving that phrase as a description of God, was when I knew that we were Kindered Spirits!) as any of you!
I wonder; is not the object of this devotion to achieve Jivan Mukta? Is that not what Waheguru wants for us?
I think Roger jis question is a valid one; how could a Guru ever be a true 'soul mate' witha Wife who had not also attained Mukta?

JimRinX ji

I am not sure that is what Roger asked. I think it may be inferred but not necessarily. My own opinion is that either way, rightly or wrongly inferred, the question takes us on a tangent as per Sri Guru Granth Sahib -- who tells us that we all make the journey alone, according to His hukam, and by His Grace, and when we decide to open our minds and hearts.

Indeed Guruji says, that one who has attached the Guru's feet to his heart takes his family and friends with him.

In fact the entire matter of how we obtain mukhti or liberation, and who obtains it, is explained in Japjui Sahib ji -- in simple, simple language.

ਜੇ ਕੋ ਮੰਨਿ ਜਾਣੈ ਮਨਿ ਕੋਇ ॥੧੪॥
jae ko mann jaanai man koe ||14||
Only one who has faith comes to know such a state of mind. ||14||

ਮੰਨੈ ਪਾਵਹਿ ਮੋਖੁ ਦੁਆਰੁ ॥
mannai paavehi mokh dhuaar ||
The faithful find the Door of Liberation.

ਮੰਨੈ ਪਰਵਾਰੈ ਸਾਧਾਰੁ ॥
mannai paravaarai saadhhaar ||
The faithful uplift and redeem their
family and relations.

ਮੰਨੈ ਤਰੈ ਤਾਰੇ ਗੁਰੁ ਸਿਖ ॥
mannai tharai thaarae gur sikh ||
The faithful are saved, and carried across with the Sikhs of the Guru.

ਮੰਨੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਭਵਹਿ ਨ ਭਿਖ ॥
mannai naanak bhavehi n bhikh ||
The faithful, O Nanak, do not wander around begging.

ਐਸਾ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਰੰਜਨੁ ਹੋਇ ॥
aisaa naam niranjan hoe ||
Such is the Name of the Immaculate Lord.

ਜੇ ਕੋ ਮੰਨਿ ਜਾਣੈ ਮਨਿ ਕੋਇ ॥੧੫॥
jae ko mann jaanai man koe ||15||
Only one who has faith comes to know such a state of mind. ||15||

ਪੰਚ ਪਰਵਾਣ ਪੰਚ ਪਰਧਾਨੁ ॥
panch paravaan panch paradhhaan ||
The chosen ones, the self-elect, are accepted and approved.

ਪੰਚੇ ਪਾਵਹਿ ਦਰਗਹਿ ਮਾਨੁ ॥
panchae paavehi dharagehi maan ||
The chosen ones are honored in the Court of the Lord.

ਪੰਚੇ ਸੋਹਹਿ ਦਰਿ ਰਾਜਾਨੁ ॥
panchae sohehi dhar raajaan ||
The chosen ones look beautiful in the courts of kings.

ਪੰਚਾ ਕਾ ਗੁਰੁ ਏਕੁ ਧਿਆਨੁ ॥
panchaa kaa gur eaek dhhiaan ||
The chosen ones meditate single-mindedly on the Guru.

Guru Nanak
Ang 3

So the answer is no.

JimRinX

SPNer
Aug 13, 2008
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
I'm not sure, Narayanjot ji, why you saw my reply as a 'question' - or why you said the answer is 'no'; as, I thought that you, and I, and Japjui Sahib ji were all saying the same thing all along.
True - my reply is a bit off-base, considering Roger jis thread starting comment; but was I not expressing the general idea that Mukhti is achieved through 'attaching ones heart to the Gurus feet'?
On the other hand, the emphasis on the 'self elect' - it would seem to be a contradiction; but then it also is GOOD, in my opinion, as this acknowledgement that Mukhti is not 'recieved' from Man - or, perhaps, even from Waheguru - but from the natural process of every persons 'soulular' evolution, will ensure that no Dogmatists will ever come to dominate the Sikh Faith.
That's a Good Thing! As always, an interesting and thoughtful experience, SPN has been.

JimRinX

SPNer
Aug 13, 2008
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.

Roger ji
We are all, to one degree or another, "One, with God"; some of us just realize that fact more than others; and the Mukt LIVE IT every moment of every day.
No truly Enlightened Person will ever be likely to even try to explain it to you - that would require an act of such inhumility, that the Mukt in question would be unable to frame a reply; as the traits of Humilty - as well as Limitless Compassion - are the Hallmarks of enlightenment. Roger ji, though I'm not a Baptised Sikh (though I have thought of becoming so) - and I still consider myself a very 'lucky' (a 'Clue', that) Mahayana Buddhist; for whatever it's worth, perhaps you'd find some of the Answers you seek in my other Posts - particularly the 'Introducing Myself' ones; as I was 'under attack' by Anti-Dharma/Kharma Types (I'm in America, and those 'dogs' had their 'day' during the last eight years), and - out of desperation, adn in the interest of making some new friends who are of kindered spirit - I came out of my oh-so Humble shell for all to see. In fact, I cringe at the thought of how outright Bold I was with my claims; but, to paraphrase (crudely) the Guru Granth Sahib, I have truly, "Seen - though I had no eyes; Heard - though I had no ears; Strode - though I had no feet, no legs; and been bathed in the Glory of the Beautiful Lord."
When you've met someone who arose from a Uniquely Deep Meditation and discovered that a White Streak has 'appeared, as if by miracle' in His/Her Hair, then you'll have met your Mukt.:happykaur:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
JimRinX ji

Sometimes I can be dense. But I am not sure what you are asking me in your response before the most recent response above. No, I did not read your reply as a question.

So maybe if you repeat it I will get it. Basically my point is, and has been, that the "liberation" of Guru's wife comes from her own bhagti. And there is one explicitly told story of such in the janamsakhis that I am aware of and described in a much earlier post.

But if we take the pragmatic view of "mukhti" -- that mukhti is not so much about achieving a transcendental state, but rather living according to the message of Guru Nanak, living lives of devotion and seva, then all the wives of the Gurus, achieved mukhti while living. Their lives were exemplars of devotion and seva.

JimRinX

SPNer
Aug 13, 2008
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
Narayanjot ji
I wrote what I did because you ended your reply with, "So the answer is no."
However; you're not being 'dense', you're just being (or, sounding a lot like many of the) a socially liberated woman (whom I've known), from a somewhat chauvanistic culture, and you're simply expressing your desire - even demanding your Right - to be your own person; to not be 'attached to' or 'dependant upon' the Man/Men in your life; be he your Husband, Father, Uncle, or Brother.
I KNOW where Narayanjot Kaur ji is coming from; I watched it happen to the women in my life - especially my sister - during that 'revolution' thing they (burning their you-know-whats) went through in the 1960's.
You are, of course, right; a Woman - a Wife - is both a Person, and a Soul, unto herself - with her own bhagti; which is a fact that Sikhism, unlike most religions (Woman are 'impure' because they 'bleed'; they 'ate the apple'; it's as if they'll 'make up' any excuse to keep a Good Woman in ter place! The Kitchen, The Field - The Bed.) seems to address in a much more unbiased manner than most faiths.
You're also right in saying that achieving Mukhti is also more than just entering a state of Transcendental Meditation; it's what you learn while in such a state; it's how this experience affects you; it's in how you apply it - in how it changes your view of Life, The Universe, and Everything.
On the other hand, it is NOT just strict adherence to Dogma; as achieving Muhkti will cause one to face challenges that defy any kind of 'order', and kind of black and white definitions of right or wrong.
I say this because you know that I've been put through Hell by some very bad people, via some of our personal communiques; perhaps you know that I've also had to do what would arguably be called 'bad things' (often just to survive being put in a bad position!) as part of my concerted efforts to catch the 'bad people' who, oh, raped, murdered, slashed open, then doused with lighter fluid and set on fire the mentally retarded young african american girl that I've mentioned.
In the task of identifying those who sent these truly abominable killers to do this nasty, nasty deed - so that I can try to put them in the Prison where they belong - I've had to take an 'anything goes' type of approach; to do things that would, under 'normal' circumstances, be quite appalling to me!
I am, of course, saying this in my own defense; as I was about as bold as I'd ever care to get in the above post (putting all humility aside, for the sake of trying to help Roger ji find what he's seeking); for though I think you know that I've been tested to the limit by these challenges - that I may have seemed to have strayed from the True Path -I've NEVER lost my Right Mindfulness; as my objectives, I believe, have always justified my means.
Besides, I'm friends with a local Asst. DA's child - and was granted a kind of 'immunity', so that I could help him do what we both want to see happen.
I'm reminded of a Respected Lama who started telling his Acolytes to go out and steal things for him; knowing that, out of respect for his oh-so venerable reputation, they would willingly comply with his every whim.
Finally, after several weeks of blind devotion to thier Master, one of his Acolytes rose to his feet and said, "But Master, isn't it WRONG to steal things?" At which point he said, "Aha! You are the first of my students to learn the lesson that I've been teaching all of you for these last few weeks."
Thus, because right can become wrong as easlily as wrong can become right; blind devotion to a Dogma, no matter how Noble, is also not what Muhkt is all about.:yes:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Highly regarded JimRinX ji,

In a way your are right! I had not thought of it. But I do have the mental image of the Gurus' wives having their own voice, their own journey, their own sadhana on the way to their mukhti. Is that not what Guru Nanak envisioned? No woman should be dependent on man to have darshan of the Satguru, or for her sense of worth or value or merit in the "eyes" of the Almighty. Not even the wife of a Guru.

I am however saying something else. For each and every question with weight similar to questions of "mukhti", is it not important to begin and end with the Shabad Guru? Should/can we not find the answer from the Shabad: Do not our personal theories pale in the face of the Shabad? Is it necessary to theorize when we have already the bibek of Guru Maharaj?

Shabad Guru is not like other scriptures. It is not "dogma" but rather a map that takes us where we want to go. Most importantly - if we fill our hearts with its message, there is no room left for wickedness that must later be justified.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
Jeevan Mukti is not a destination nor is Jeevan Mukt a title that one attains. A Jeevan Mukt is the one who through out his/her life is a Sikh, a learner, a seeker with the objective of learning and practicing that he/she sees no stranger, feels no enmity.

Hence, Jeevan Mukti is the journey of self discovery which leads one to lead one's life sans fear, sans rancor.

Having said that, I would like Roger to explain the premise and the intentions of his question in an honest and open manner which is the part and parcel of this journey called Jeevan Mukti.

Tejwant Singh

ballym

SPNer
May 19, 2006
Re: The jeevan -Mukt Gurus' Wives?

It is only here that we can discuss such topics!
I think we are takinng this Mukti in a literal way.
Has any one known ... for real and sure... what mukti is... how does it feel to be mukt...do we have real life authenticate experiences?
I am more than 100% sure that our gurus never claimed such type of Mukti which we are are discussing here.
Leaving kaam krodh lobh moh maya.... , doing bhakti, working for a livlihood and donating is the way to achieving mukti as per our Gurus.
Unification of soul does not mean single soul and this topic does not have much scientific basis either.
Why only Guru's Wives, any Tom, Dabboo and Harinder and ram, Anwari and John can get mukti if you follow guru's teaching.
Just try to seriously follow:
1. Jo kicch hai so tera.....( Try Listening and imbibing the meaning)
2. Do simran... to focus and leave your worldly relationships
3. But do not stop working... you have your duties... fulfil them but do not start expecting out of your friends, kids etc.... Whatever you deserve, you will get it yourself.... leave greed out ( Moh Tyaag)

4. Kaam... to balance your physical needs
5. Kroadh... starts from expectations.. it will go when you follow point # 2 and 3
6. Greed... also comes due to Expectations.
7. Moh....for future benefits is bad... Pure form of love is desirable and is a purpose of life ( to love ALL...not selected few)
8. If you reach to this level... you do not need Maya beyond what is essential in this economy driven world. Leaving this world is as good as running away which is not desirable/ required.

JimRinX

SPNer
Aug 13, 2008
Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
Narayanjot ji
Tejwant and ballym jios could not have answered your questions of me better - especially since it's been a trial to get through the 'dark age' of our last President, and his not-exactly-my-end-of-the-political-spectrum supporters - all of which makes me feel anything but 'philosophical' (more like a screaming meany!).
I've been enjoying my time here on SPN, talking with so many noble souls who share my basic POV on God, Proper Behaviour, and - most especially - TOLERANCE OF THE 'OTHER'!!! It's like a breath of fresh air!
I think we should give poor Roger ji a break - I can feel tempers getting heated, as Punjabi Men think of all those westerners coming to India to steal 'their women' (am I wrong?).
I think he is merely asking a simple question - without offence being intended - as their is so much in Sikh Philosophy that is, bascially, unique - or groudbreaking, at a time when most women were still chattle; and he is merely wondering if, with the whole idea of finding ones Soul Mate - of marrying for Love, rather than all of the other reasons other cultures marry their women off for - being so deeply ingrained in the Sikh Way, the Gurus Wives shared their level of enlightenment; as it would seem odd that they could be 'Soul Mates', and that NOT be the situation!
Still, I'm admitedly an outsider - I still haven't read ALL of the Guru Granth Sahib, and I'm not a baptised Sikh; so - what do I know, eh?
OH! I remember! ballym ji! Read my Introducing Myself piece - the part about when the White Streak appeared in my hair! You MIGHT just find a basic idea of the thing you're seeking!
Some things are both a Blessing and a Curse, though! Always, Karma is in balance!

Roger

SPNer
Jan 3, 2010
Muland, Mumbai
One last thought -- a hide-bound secularist might want evidence for everything. Something tells me you are not that. So what's up? “Narayanjot Kaur”

I would like Roger to explain the premise and the intentions of his question in an honest and open manner which is the part and parcel of this journey called Jeevan Mukti. (Tejwant Singh)

I must admit that I’m somewhat bemused by calls to explain my raison d'être for putting the question re Guru’s wives? Nowhere on SPN website it is stated that, asking questions on Sikhism or, related to it in general, have to be justified. However, I’ll try to put together a brief “explanation!”

I have been studying various religions and trying to understand the main “promise” offered to the followers. (In secular terms: what’s in it for me?)

Like followers of other religions, Sikhs also have many differing viewpoints as to what Sikhism ultimately offers. One that made more sense to me was that Sikhism offers liberation of Soul or Jeevan Mukti, as a result of enlightenment, which ten Gurus believed to have achieved. IF, that is true, I’m keen to know, who else has had received this “spiritual state”; Gurus’ wives seem to be an obvious starting point! I hope this satiates all those paranoid minds, which are quibbling as to the intention of my posted question?

Regards
Roger

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
JimRinX ji

My temper is not getting heated. I am just in a quandry as to why when shabad after shabad tells us how to get where we want to go, and yet in the thread both message and the medium appear to be second-guessed.

The answer could not be more clear. And although you profess you adhere in large part to Tibetan Buddhism, but express more than casual interest in Sikhism, for a Sikh the journey starts and ends with Shabad Guru.

Roger -- there is no confusion or difference of "viewpoints" over in answer to your question. When an academic discussion takes on some momentum it is always interesting. And yes different viewpoints will be voiced. But that does not change anything. Shabad Guru is the boat, the map, the compass, the pole star. It is there for everyone who asks. Including Gurus' Wives. But each person goes on this journey as an individual. The journey starts and ends with Shabad Guru -- not my "opinion" either. Everything else is the play of mind.

ballym

SPNer
May 19, 2006
OH! I remember! ballym ji! Read my Introducing Myself piece - the part about when the White Streak appeared in my hair! You MIGHT just find a basic idea of the thing you're seeking!
Some things are both a Blessing and a Curse, though! Always, Karma is in balance!
I am yet to reach to that level. Your idea are similar and more refined. I just wrote what I felt spontaneously.
But I am still in not able to practically achieve it.
I said to somone that when I feel that I found right GURU.... he stopped me and said... do not question Guru(do not try to find BEST one, if he is acceptable, follow him and by doing that you will make spiritual gains)... just follow his direction.
My logical side keeps searching for best!
But in the end, we must live and live better in this very world with its flaws. So we need to adjust our idealist thoughts and actions.

regarding Mukti...I stand by my ideas in last post. that is how I am goingto get it. I am not sure about my wife. She will get it her way.
Everybody has different thought process. This theory of single soul/ marriages made in heaven do not stick with me.

No, no I am not unhappy with part of my soul which came in my life when I felt financially secure and needed to satisfy a physical need! Why this part of soul adds later? Straight talk is best.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
For a Sikh there is only one way to mukhti. Guruji says, in the hymn Sohila: that this day of mukhti is pre-ordained. That day is the day of the "wedding" when the soul is joined with the Creator.

ਸੰਬਤਿ ਸਾਹਾ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਮਿਲਿ ਕਰਿ ਪਾਵਹੁ ਤੇਲੁ ॥
sanbath saahaa likhiaa mil kar paavahu thael ||
The day of my wedding is pre-ordained. Come, gather together and pour the oil over the threshold.

In making a sacrifice of "self" one gains eternal peace. It goes like this.

ਸੋਹਿਲਾ ਰਾਗੁ ਗਉੜੀ ਦੀਪਕੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੧
sohilaa raag gourree dheepakee mehalaa 1
Sohilaa ~ The Song Of Praise. Raag Gauree Deepakee, First Mehl:

ੴ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ ॥
ik oankaar sathigur prasaadh ||
One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਜੈ ਘਰਿ ਕੀਰਤਿ ਆਖੀਐ ਕਰਤੇ ਕਾ ਹੋਇ ਬੀਚਾਰੋ ॥
jai ghar keerath aakheeai karathae kaa hoe beechaaro ||
In that house where the Praises of the Creator are chanted and contemplated
http://www.searchgurbani.com/gurus/gurunanak.htm

ਤਿਤੁ ਘਰਿ ਗਾਵਹੁ ਸੋਹਿਲਾ ਸਿਵਰਿਹੁ ਸਿਰਜਣਹਾਰੋ ॥੧॥
thith ghar gaavahu
sohilaa sivarihu sirajanehaaro ||1||
-in that house, sing Songs of Praise; meditate and remember the Creator Lord. ||1||

ਤੁਮ ਗਾਵਹੁ ਮੇਰੇ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਕਾ ਸੋਹਿਲਾ ॥
thum gaavahu maerae nirabho kaa
sohilaa ||
Sing the Songs of Praise of my Fearless Lord.

ਹਉ ਵਾਰੀ ਜਿਤੁ ਸੋਹਿਲੈ ਸਦਾ ਸੁਖੁ ਹੋਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
ho vaaree jith
sohilai sadhaa sukh hoe ||1|| rehaao ||
I am a sacrifice to that Song of Praise which brings eternal peace. ||1||Pause||

ਨਿਤ ਨਿਤ ਜੀਅੜੇ ਸਮਾਲੀਅਨਿ ਦੇਖੈਗਾ ਦੇਵਣਹਾਰੁ ॥
nith nith jeearrae samaaleean dhaekhaigaa dhaevanehaar ||
Day after day, He cares for His beings; the Great Giver watches over all.

ਤੇਰੇ ਦਾਨੈ ਕੀਮਤਿ ਨਾ ਪਵੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਦਾਤੇ ਕਵਣੁ ਸੁਮਾਰੁ ॥੨॥
thaerae dhaanai keemath naa pavai this dhaathae kavan sumaar ||2||
Your Gifts cannot be appraised; how can anyone compare to the Giver? ||2||

ਸੰਬਤਿ ਸਾਹਾ ਲਿਖਿਆ ਮਿਲਿ ਕਰਿ ਪਾਵਹੁ ਤੇਲੁ ॥
sanbath saahaa likhiaa mil kar paavahu thael ||
The day of my wedding is pre-ordained. Come, gather together and pour the oil over the threshold.

ਦੇਹੁ ਸਜਣ ਅਸੀਸੜੀਆ ਜਿਉ ਹੋਵੈ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਸਿਉ ਮੇਲੁ ॥੩॥
dhaehu sajan aseesarreeaa jio hovai saahib sio mael ||3||
My friends, give me your blessings, that I may merge with my Lord and Master. ||3||

ਘਰਿ ਘਰਿ ਏਹੋ ਪਾਹੁਚਾ ਸਦੜੇ ਨਿਤ ਪਵੰਨਿ ॥
ghar ghar eaeho paahuchaa sadharrae nith pavann ||
Unto each and every home, into each and every heart, this summons is sent out; the call comes each and every day.

ਸਦਣਹਾਰਾ ਸਿਮਰੀਐ ਨਾਨਕ ਸੇ ਦਿਹ ਆਵੰਨਿ ॥੪॥੧॥
sadhanehaaraa simareeai naanak sae dhih aavann ||4||1||
Remember in meditation the One who summons us; O Nanak, that day is drawing near! ||4||1||

Then Guruji acknowledges that there are many forms of learning and disputation about the Truth. But there is only one system that gives mukhti, eternal peace.

ਬਾਬਾ ਜੈ ਘਰਿ ਕਰਤੇ ਕੀਰਤਿ ਹੋਇ ॥
baabaa jai ghar karathae keerath hoe ||
O Baba: that system in which the Praises of the Creator are sung

ਸੋ ਘਰੁ ਰਾਖੁ ਵਡਾਈ ਤੋਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
so ghar raakh vaddaaee thoe ||1|| rehaao ||
-follow that system; in it rests true greatness. ||1||Pause||

Guruji tells us there is only one Teacher who can lead us to discover our true greatness.

ਰਾਗੁ ਆਸਾ ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ॥
raag aasaa mehalaa 1 ||
Raag Aasaa, First Mehl:

ਛਿਅ ਘਰ ਛਿਅ ਗੁਰ ਛਿਅ ਉਪਦੇਸ ॥
shhia ghar shhia gur shhia oupadhaes ||
There are six schools of philosophy, six teachers, and six sets of teachings.

ਗੁਰੁ ਗੁਰੁ ਏਕੋ ਵੇਸ ਅਨੇਕ ॥੧॥
gur gur eaeko vaes anaek ||1||
But the Teacher of teachers is the One, who appears in so many forms. ||1||

ਬਾਬਾ ਜੈ ਘਰਿ ਕਰਤੇ ਕੀਰਤਿ ਹੋਇ ॥
baabaa jai ghar karathae keerath hoe ||
O Baba: that system in which the Praises of the Creator are sung

ਸੋ ਘਰੁ ਰਾਖੁ ਵਡਾਈ ਤੋਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
so ghar raakh vaddaaee thoe ||1|| rehaao ||
-follow that system; in it rests true greatness. ||1||Pause||

ਵਿਸੁਏ ਚਸਿਆ ਘੜੀਆ ਪਹਰਾ ਥਿਤੀ ਵਾਰੀ ਮਾਹੁ ਹੋਆ ॥
visueae chasiaa gharreeaa peharaa thhithee vaaree maahu hoaa ||
The seconds, minutes and hours, days, weeks and months,

ਸੂਰਜੁ ਏਕੋ ਰੁਤਿ ਅਨੇਕ ॥
sooraj eaeko ruth anaek ||
and the various seasons originate from the one sun;ਤੂ ਆਪੇ ਕਰਤਾ ਤੇਰਾ ਕੀਆ ਸਭੁ ਹੋਇ ॥
thoo aapae karathaa thaeraa keeaa sabh hoe ||
You Yourself are the Creator. Everything that happens is by Your Doing.

ਤੁਧੁ ਬਿਨੁ ਦੂਜਾ ਅਵਰੁ ਨ ਕੋਇ ॥
thudhh bin dhoojaa avar n koe ||
There is no one except You.

ਤੂ ਕਰਿ ਕਰਿ ਵੇਖਹਿ ਜਾਣਹਿ ਸੋਇ ॥
thoo kar kar vaekhehi jaanehi soe ||
You created the creation; You behold it and understand it.

ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਰਗਟੁ ਹੋਇ ॥੪॥੨॥
jan naanak guramukh paragatt hoe ||4||2||
O servant Nanak, the Lord is revealed through the Gurmukh, the Living Expression of the Guru's Word. ||4||2||

So it is not a question of paranoia, nor of dogma, nor of one guru better than the other, nor whether the wife of a Guru must obtain mukhti herself. The Shabad Guru takes us where we want to go.

Roger

SPNer
Jan 3, 2010
Muland, Mumbai
“…day of mukhti is pre-ordained…” (Narayanjot Kaur)

In that case, what’s the point of having a Guru, or eleven Gurus, for that matter? One might as well live with a “devil may care” attitude, since the destination is pre-ordained!

Regards
Roger

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM