• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...
Dec 13, 2006
Locks of hair lying strewn over at the barber's and a satisfied ex-Sikh, who has recently lost his identity, gazing wisely at the mirror, deliberating proudly over his recently marooned scalp is a familiar sight in present day Punjab and obviously the world over.

These so-called wise men argue that one should roll-along with the tide and 'reconcile' oneself with the trendy fashion. There's nothing wrong with donning an Armani suit to work, which is highly recommended as compared to a 'Bana'; but wrong is to 'reconcile' oneself with what others say. I agree that wearing a turban is a 300 year old fashion but so is wearing a saree, which is as old as 5000 years, but the latter is a traditional dress of most women across India and almost all of them in the southern part.

In 1699, Kalgiyawale Sache Patshah, baptisted 5 Sikhs with the immortal Amrit and laid a foundation for all of us to build our faith upon. Sache Patshah said, 'Rayhnee ray so-I Sikh meraa, Oh sahib ma os the chera'(The one who lives according to the Rehat is my Sikh, my master and I'm his servant). Such a humble Guru! But who cares about this today?!!! Say, I post my wedding card to 200 people; they are bound to throng in front of my house at the appointed date and time. But, if I tell these same people about what the Guru Saheb said in his Bani...about Rehat Maryada, not more than a chosen few will believe it 200%. So much 'shradha' for a stupid wedding card and so much disbelief for the greatest of the great Bani, which is penned down by the Guru Sahebs themselves.

I think the foundation of a Sikh is laid by his parents. Today's parents do not have enough time and patience to cater to the needs of their young Sikh son. 'Who will comb these hair for 5 years?', 'Who will wash these hair every weekend?' etc. are some of the questions that flash across the minds of these parents. They don't care to preserve a Khalsa so will not their son and his son and then his. Just take a look at a jam-packed stadium in Punjab and you will be able to count the number of turbans.

A human-being has the right to call him/her Sikh only when he/she is baptised. Forget about the identity of a person with shorn hair.

The next question these wise men ask, 'Why is it important to be a Sikh?' I'd say do not ask me. This is something that cannot be preached but should be realized. Read the history of the Sikhs and you'll get your answers and you are bound to repent over your foolishness of shorning your hair off.

Another question that pops up is, 'What if I follow all the points of Rehat Maryada except keeping long hair, don all 4 K's instead of five?' But, the question is not whether you wear 4 K's or 5; it's a simple Yes/No quesion. Either you are a Sikh or you are not! Remember, a dog without a strap around his neck is considered a stray dog; it's breed and grace do not matter.

Gurbani is the truth the only truth, it is immaculate, it is matchless, it is the most profound of all philosophies, it is the most erudite of all scholars, it is the greatest of the great, it is the purest of the pure, it is the kings of the kings, it is the sum total of all wisdom in this world and the next, multiplied a million times over, it is impeccably perfect but still within the grasp of a common man. Yes, it is within your's and my grasp but practicing what you read, what you grasp is the key to success! And the last part, i.e. practising Sikhi, is, I admit, very difficult. But, winning a one-sided battle without challenges is tasteless.

Last edited by a moderator:

truthseeker

SPNer
Aug 11, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Waheguru ji ki fateh

Waheguru, Waheguru, Waheguru.... Ratandeep singh ji, i miust say your article was truly amazing. Made my eyes swell up with water, and my heart began to race, when i hear how people in todays world are so into fashion, and into impressing their peers that they forget about the most important of all, we arent here to impress anyone but our Guru. We do not realize that at every breath we take, every word that we say, everything... EVERYTHING is from him. How can we be so foolish to forget that HE gave us the beautiful gift of life, we have no respect for HIM.
That really hurts inside to hear that young boys, and girls are going to Barbers and cutting their hair. Bhai Taru Singh Ji's scalp was removed with a scalpel so that his kesh would not be cut. Look at the rest of our Shaheedis, Bhai Mati Das Ji, Bhai Sati Das Ji, the Sahibzaaday. We dont have it half as bad as they did, and yet they were willing to give up their lives, and we cant even be so kind as to keep our identity.
waheguru, sorry just my 2 cents had to get that off my chest

Waheguru ji ka khalsa, Whaueguru ji ki fateh

May 23, 2009
Navdeep 88 ji

Your observation that in sikhisim "the internal is paramount" can not be disputed.However ,the importance of unshorn hair and the ultimate objective of a sikh to be baptised can not be overlooked.Both Bani And Bana are inextricably linked. A sikh living in Guru's Hukam,practising a daily life with a loving surrender to the dictates of the Guru And Gurbani and with a clear understanding that Me-ism and Naam do not mix is well on his/her way to be a gursikh.

Once again,just by keeping unshorn hair and even receiving Khande Di Pahul and practising daily Nitnem and ignoring the importance of truthful living,one cannot aspire to be true sikh of the guru.Both Bani and Bana are important. Let us not try to dilute either one of them.Our Gurus' lives and bani bear testimony to it. Let us not try to win the argument by dispensing with either one of the two.

soriT mhlw 3]

Sorat'h, Third Mehl:

so isK usKw bMDp uhY BweI ij gur ky Bwxy ivic AwvY]
He alone is a Sikh, a friend, a relative and a sibling, who walks in the Way of the Guru's Will.

AwpxY BwxY jo clY BweI ivCuiV cotw KwvY]
One who walks according to his own will, O Siblings of Destiny, suffers separation from the Lord, and shall be punished.

Let us not forget our history and philosophy,but humbly and prayerfully endeavour to learn Gursikhi at the Guru,s feet and live a life modeled on the lives of Gurus and Gursikhs.

Let us support one another in our pursuit of Truth rather than judge any one.This is what the Guru tells us:
bwbwxIAwkhwxIAwpuqspuqkryin]
The stories of one's ancestors make the children good children.
ijsiqgurBwvYsumMinlYinsyeIkrmkryin]

They accept what is pleasing to the Will of the True Guru, and act accordingly.

Thanks,
Satnam Singh

Navdeep88

Writer
SPNer
Dec 22, 2009
Sir, thank you for the reply. I agree with what you have to say, both are very important. If the internal is truly devoted, then the external could not possibly be anything but the image of a Sikh. My apologies for the response before.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM