• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

The Company Of The Saints And The Lord

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
The company of the Saints and the Lord

We are are a part of Him and His creation, so we are in His creation, it many times becomes distraction as we want to move on a path to seek Him; however, some times, His creations also becomes a way out to be with Him. In the following Guru Shabad, that creation of His is sought that enhances our progress towards Him.
ਵਡਹੰਸੁ ਮਃ ਅੰਤਰਜਾਮੀ ਸੋ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਪੂਰਾ ਦਾਨੁ ਦੇਇ ਸਾਧੂ ਕੀ ਧੂਰਾ
Wadhans 5th Guru. He, the Perfect Lord can read the heart. He blesses one with the gift of the dust of saints feet.
The Lord knows what is there in the hearts of us, He has all virtues. A wish of His seeker should be to seek refuge in those devotees of Him who are imbued with Him and have over come all distractions come in the way of uniting with the Lord
Satguru Ji is talking about the Lord to make us understand that the Lord is aware what we want, what we deserve as He is perfect having all virtues, He decides and blesses some to be in refuge of Saints. As per His given awareness, all do not go towards the Saints. Many just don’t believe in them, some believe but not sure what is more important, Him or net of temptations we are put in; it is like to have a feeling to walk on that path but a force within becomes more inclined to other stuff available for mind pleasing than to be in the company of His devotees. Now look at the following Guru Vaak.
ਕਰਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਦੀਨ ਦਇਆਲਾ ਤੇਰੀ ਓਟ ਪੂਰਨ ਗੋਪਾਲਾ ਰਹਾਉ
O my Master, merciful to the meek, show mercy unto me. I seek Thy protection, O Perfect Cherisher of the world. Pause.
Have mercy on us because you are cherisher of your creation, only you are our support.
Here is the prayer to the Lord. His mercy is supplicated, if He does so, a company of devotees is possible. After all we need no distraction when our eyes set on Him; in the company of Saints, it is guaranteed to be focused on Him unlike the company of others where an avalanche of distractions victimizes us all the time.
ਜਲਿ ਥਲਿ ਮਹੀਅਲਿ ਰਹਿਆ ਭਰਪੂਰੇ ਨਿਕਟਿ ਵਸੈ ਨਾਹੀ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਦੂਰੇ
The Lord is fully filling the ocean, earth and the sky. The Lord abides near and is not far off.
The Love is for the Infinite whose presence everywhere can be felt like air, nay, more than that. Why people feel Him separated and away from them? The reason is obvious; their mind just cannot conceive His presence as it is over occupied with illusionary temptations. He is very much with us, our inability to see Him is our own created wall of illusions we adore helplessly. Funny thing is this, the chase for such illusions never provides contentment, and it rather builds the wall between Him and us. Man in frustration fabricates his own imaginative beliefs about Him being up there in the sky. In His love one sees Him within and at the same time in all. Considering Him far away is a first fall humans take never to get up again.
ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਨਦਰਿ ਕਰੇ ਸੋ ਧਿਆਏ ਆਠ ਪਹਰ ਹਰਿ ਕੇ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਏ
Jis no naḏar kare so ḏẖi▫ā▫e. Āṯẖ pahar har ke guṇ gā▫e. ||3|| Whom He blesses with His mercy, remembers Him, and all the eight watches through, he sings God's praise.
Guru ji continues praising Lord’s grace, His grace on people cause them to praise Him. Who has got that, are into His praise, otherwise many are not interested in Him or in His praise and if there are some who are interested in it but due to lacking His grace, lack the sincerity required for His praise. Blessed ones are in love with the Lord, only His praise is constant in their brains always. While performing worldly affairs, their hearts are set on Him only. Being in that state of mind, soul turns to be immaculate like the Lord. If it doesn’t happen, some thing is missing in the praise and love for Him.
ਜੀਅ ਜੰਤ ਸਗਲੇ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਰੇ ਸਰਨਿ ਪਰਿਓ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਦੁਆਰੇ .
All the men and other beings He sustains, Nanak has taken refuge at God's door.
The Prayer is to the Creator who not only creates but also takes care of all. Who really believe in this fact, praise Him with sincerity, they pray for His grace to be in imbued with the Lord. Guru ji asks the followers to pray only to the Creator, seeking His refuge is worthy and above of all religious activities. Here is the content of the prayer “Oh Lord, bless us with your grace so that we can remain imbued with you with intact attention because I seek only your refuge” It is also known as falling in love the Lord only, it eventually becomes a way of life. Now look at His devotee Bhagat Kabir’s bachan
ਓਅੰਕਾਰ ਆਦਿ ਮੈ ਜਾਨਾ ਲਿਖਿ ਅਰੁ ਮੇਟੈ ਤਾਹਿ ਮਾਨਾ ਓਅੰਕਾਰ ਲਖੈ ਜਉ ਕੋਈ ਸੋਈ ਲਖਿ ਮੇਟਣਾ ਹੋਈ (SGGS 340)
O▫ankār āḏ mai jānā. Likẖ ar metai ṯāhi na mānā. O▫ankār lakẖai ja▫o ko▫ī. So▫ī lakẖ metṇā na ho▫ī. ||6||

TO BE CONTINUED

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
I know only the One Lord, who is the source of everything. I believe not in him, whom the Lord writes (creates) and erases (destroys). If someone sees the one Lord, he perishes not by beholding Him.
This is the reason prayer is done only to Him, this is a display of faith in the Infinite, nothing should shatter it. Whom He creates and calls back to be His part, Kabir ji refuses to believe in them as the final ones. The Shabad we just have discussed earlier is to infuse in us a strong and sincere longing for the Lord we understand to be Infinite and Knower and Cherisher of all of us. The Prayer is only a way of talking to Him. Mind needs to be more aware of Him than all His creation.
Bhagat Kabeer ji tries to infuse love in our hearts for the Lord in a beautiful way, if we miss this, we just do not want to change. As it is discussed in the above Guru Shabad, He is the Infinite and Creator - Cherisher, so prayer for His love should blossom in our hearts, Bhagat Kabir ji gives example of “a painter and a painting” Attraction of the painting and to remain glued to it, is fatal attraction. Please read on
ਚਚਾ ਰਚਿਤ ਚਿਤ੍ਰ ਹੈ ਭਾਰੀ ਤਜਿ ਚਿਤ੍ਰੈ ਚੇਤਹੁ ਚਿਤਕਾਰੀ ਚਿਤ੍ਰ ਬਚਿਤ੍ਰ ਇਹੈ ਅਵਝੇਰਾ ਤਜਿ ਚਿਤ੍ਰੈ ਚਿਤੁ ਰਾਖਿ ਚਿਤੇਰਾ ੧੨
Cẖacẖā racẖiṯ cẖiṯar hai bẖārī. Ŧaj cẖiṯrai cẖeṯahu cẖiṯkārī. Cẖiṯar bacẖiṯar ihai avjẖerā. Ŧaj cẖiṯrai cẖiṯ rākẖ cẖiṯerā. ||12||
Ch - The master has painted the great picture of the world. Leave the painting and remember the painter. This wondrous painting is now, the bone of contention. Dismiss picture and keep thy mind on the Painter.
This world is His creation, it is as attractive as a wondrous painting can be; if His creation is so attractive, how could HE be? In stead of sticking to the creation, go for the Creator and imagine how different ecstatic experience could be in realizing the Creator! Kabir ji advises us not to fall any one but HIM.
If the next Guru Shabad is read after the one we just have discussed (SGGS563), the following Guru Vaak comes, it hints at two vital facts, a true devotee of the Lord should keep in mind, and those are:
ਤੇਰੀ ਸਰਣਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਮੇਰੇ ਪੂਰੇ ਮਨੁ ਨਿਰਮਲੁ ਹੋਇ ਸੰਤਾ ਧੂਰੇ
Ŧerī saraṇ saṯgur mere pūre. Man nirmal ho▫e sanṯā ḏẖūre. ||2||
My perfect True Guru, I have entered Thy asylum. With the dust of saints feet, my mind becomes pure.
Listen to Guru Teachings and live accordingly and seek the company of other devotees of Him, destiny of union with the Lord will be sealed. In the company of His devotees, thinking is reshaped, interests are molded and aim of life rises above all we usually die for. Mind goes in to ecstasy and while living in Maya, soul becomes worthy of the Lord.

G Singh
Note Translation is by Manmohan Singh Ji

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
YouTube - Rain pours down & my mind is drenched with His Love

ਮਲਾਰ ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ॥
malaar mehalaa 1 ||
Malaar, First Mehl:

ਕਰਉ ਬਿਨਉ ਗੁਰ ਅਪਨੇ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮ ਹਰਿ ਵਰੁ ਆਣਿ ਮਿਲਾਵੈ ॥
karo bino gur apanae preetham har var aan milaavai ||
I offer prayers to my Beloved Guru, that He may unite me with my Husband Lord.

ਸੁਣਿ ਘਨ ਘੋਰ ਸੀਤਲੁ ਮਨੁ ਮੋਰਾ ਲਾਲ ਰਤੀ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵੈ ॥੧॥
sun ghan ghor seethal man moraa laal rathee gun gaavai ||1||
I hear the thunder in the clouds, and my mind is cooled and soothed; imbued with the Love of my Dear Beloved, I sing His Glorious Praises. ||1||
ਬਰਸੁ ਘਨਾ ਮੇਰਾ ਮਨੁ ਭੀਨਾ ॥
baras ghanaa maeraa man bheenaa ||
The rain pours down, and my mind is drenched with His Love.

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਬੂੰਦ ਸੁਹਾਨੀ ਹੀਅਰੈ ਗੁਰਿ ਮੋਹੀ ਮਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਰਸਿ ਲੀਨਾ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
anmrith boondh suhaanee heearai gur mohee man har ras leenaa ||1|| rehaao ||
The drop of Ambrosial Nectar pleases my heart; the Guru has fascinated my mind, which is drenched in the sublime essence of the Lord. ||1||Pause||

ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਖੀ ਵਰ ਕਾਮਣਿ ਪਿਆਰੀ ਜਿਸੁ ਗੁਰ ਬਚਨੀ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਨਿਆ ॥
sehaj sukhee var kaaman piaaree jis gur bachanee man maaniaa ||
With intuitive peace and poise, the soul-bride is loved by her Husband Lord; her mind is pleased and appeased by the Guru's Teachings.

ਹਰਿ ਵਰਿ ਨਾਰਿ ਭਈ ਸੋਹਾਗਣਿ ਮਨਿ ਤਨਿ ਪ੍ਰੇਮੁ ਸੁਖਾਨਿਆ ॥੨॥
har var naar bhee sohaagan man than praem sukhaaniaa ||2||
She is the happy soul-bride of her Husband Lord; her mind and body are filled with joy by His Love. ||2||
ਅਵਗਣ ਤਿਆਗਿ ਭਈ ਬੈਰਾਗਨਿ ਅਸਥਿਰੁ ਵਰੁ ਸੋਹਾਗੁ ਹਰੀ ॥
avagan thiaag bhee bairaagan asathhir var sohaag haree ||
Discarding her demerits, she becomes detached; with the Lord as her Husband, her marriage is eternal.

ਸੋਗੁ ਵਿਜੋਗੁ ਤਿਸੁ ਕਦੇ ਨ ਵਿਆਪੈ ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭਿ ਅਪਣੀ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਕਰੀ ॥੩॥
sog vijog this kadhae n viaapai har prabh apanee kirapaa karee ||3||
She never suffers separation or sorrow; her Lord God showers her with His Grace. ||3||

ਆਵਣ ਜਾਣੁ ਨਹੀ ਮਨੁ ਨਿਹਚਲੁ ਪੂਰੇ ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਓਟ ਗਹੀ ॥
aavan jaan nehee man nihachal poorae gur kee outt gehee ||
Her mind is steady and stable; she does not come and go in reincarnation.

ਨਾਨਕ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਿ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਧਨੁ ਸੋਹਾਗਣਿ ਸਚੁ ਸਹੀ ॥੪॥੨॥
naanak raam naam jap guramukh dhhan sohaagan sach sehee ||4||2||
She takes the Shelter of the Perfect Guru. O Nanak, as Gurmukh, chant the Naam; you shall be accepted as the true soul-bride of the Lord. ||4||2||

Guru Nanak Dev ji
Ang 1254

Last edited by a moderator:

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Thanks aad jio for posting such a beautiful Shabad to stress the idea expressed in the article above:happy:. I just feel like going through it again and express as I feel about it too.
ਕਰਉ ਬਿਨਉ ਗੁਰ ਅਪਨੇ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਮ ਹਰਿ ਵਰੁ ਆਣਿ ਮਿਲਾਵੈ
karo bino gur apanae preetham har var aan milaavai ||
I offer prayers to my Beloved Guru, that He may unite me with my Husband Lord.

ਸੁਣਿ ਘਨ ਘੋਰ ਸੀਤਲੁ ਮਨੁ ਮੋਰਾ ਲਾਲ ਰਤੀ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵੈ
sun ghan ghor seethal man moraa laal rathee gun gaavai ||1||
I hear the thunder in the clouds, and my mind is cooled and soothed; imbued with
the Love of my Dear Beloved, I sing His Glorious Praises. ||1||

Let’s try to understand the depth of the longing for the Lord expressed by Guru Nanak. Out side weather affects mind, people many times celebrate outside weather; however, the one who have strong longing for the Lord expresses them in different way. What a wonderful weather to enjoy, but how? Contrary to others, Lord’s devotees supplicate to Guru to help them to be united with the beloved Lord. Such a way a longing for the Lord escalates in such a beautiful weather
ਬਰਸੁ ਘਨਾ ਮੇਰਾ ਮਨੁ ਭੀਨਾ
baras ghanaa maeraa man bheenaa ||
The rain pours down, and my mind is drenched with His Love.

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਬੂੰਦ ਸੁਹਾਨੀ ਹੀਅਰੈ ਗੁਰਿ ਮੋਹੀ ਮਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਰਸਿ ਲੀਨਾ ਰਹਾਉ
anmrith boondh suhaanee heearai gur mohee man har ras leenaa ||1|| rehaao ||
The drop of Ambrosial Nectar pleases my heart; the Guru has fascinated my mind, which is drenched in the sublime essence of the Lord. ||1||Pause||

as the rain pours, mind glows in Lord’s love. Guru talks about the Lord, expresses his feelings for the Lord. The way Guru praises the virtuous Lord fascinates the mind already in love with the Lord.

ਸਹਜਿ ਸੁਖੀ ਵਰ ਕਾਮਣਿ ਪਿਆਰੀ ਜਿਸੁ ਗੁਰ ਬਚਨੀ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਨਿਆ
sehaj sukhee var kaaman piaaree jis gur bachanee man maaniaa ||
With intuitive peace and poise, the soul-bride is loved by her Husband Lord; her mind is pleased and appeased by the Guru's Teachings.
ਹਰਿ ਵਰਿ ਨਾਰਿ ਭਈ ਸੋਹਾਗਣਿ ਮਨਿ ਤਨਿ ਪ੍ਰੇਮੁ ਸੁਖਾਨਿਆ
har var naar bhee sohaagan man than praem sukhaaniaa ||2||
She is the happy soul-bride of her Husband Lord; her mind and body are filled with joy by His Love. ||2||

Well only who live according to Guru Teachings, have the Lord Husband, because their minds are set on HIM only. The minds are committed to none but Him. The result is obvious, that soul brides are loved by the Lord. The souls are lifted above from temporary pleasures to have eternal stillness in ecstasy

ਅਵਗਣ ਤਿਆਗਿ ਭਈ ਬੈਰਾਗਨਿ ਅਸਥਿਰੁ ਵਰੁ ਸੋਹਾਗੁ ਹਰੀ
avagan thiaag bhee bairaagan asathhir var sohaag haree ||
Discarding her demerits, she becomes detached; with the Lord as her Husband, her marriage is eternal.

ਸੋਗੁ ਵਿਜੋਗੁ ਤਿਸੁ ਕਦੇ ਨ ਵਿਆਪੈ ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭਿ ਅਪਣੀ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਕਰੀ
sog vijog this kadhae n viaapai har prabh apanee kirapaa karee ||3||
She never suffers separation or sorrow; her Lord God showers her with His Grace. ||3||

Aim of life is fulfilled, His grace is bestowed upon, forever, a place in Lord is obtained, there will be no sufferings of separation because there will never be separation from the Lord.

ਆਵਣ ਜਾਣੁ ਨਹੀ ਮਨੁ ਨਿਹਚਲੁ ਪੂਰੇ ਗੁਰ ਕੀ ਓਟ ਗਹੀ
aavan jaan nehee man nihachal poorae gur kee outt gehee ||
Her mind is steady and stable; she does not come and go in reincarnation.
ਨਾਨਕ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਿ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਧਨੁ ਸੋਹਾਗਣਿ ਸਚੁ ਸਹੀ
naanak raam naam jap guramukh dhhan sohaagan sach sehee ||4||2||
She takes the Shelter of the Perfect Guru. O Nanak, as Gurmukh, chant the Naam; you shall be accepted as the true soul-bride of the Lord. ||4||2||Guru Nanak Dev ji
Ang 1254

Guru showed the path that leads to the Lord, Guru reshaped and molded the soul, mind is stilled, separation is over, imbued with the Lord’s love, soul remains meditated on the Lord and she is accepted as a true soul bride who has the eternal Lord husband.[/FONT]

[/FONT]

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
pk70 ji

I was so hoping that you would take some of your valuable time to give us your insight into the Shabad. :):):):):)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: