• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Terrorism By SIKHS?

stupidjassi

SPNer
Nov 2, 2007
mississauga, ON
Some of the human right wbesite actually publishing evidence that Sikhs were terrorists . Please comment

( http://www.hrw.org/campaigns/kashmir/1994/kashmir94-03.htm)

The accounts below are typical of attacks that appeared to be deliberately carried out by Sikh militants against randomly chosen, unarmed civilians in public places using deadly automatic weaponry.
  • In October 1992, suspected Sikh militants gunned down five civilians and a law enforcement officer in a heavily wooded area in Uttar Pradesh that has become a refuge for Sikh separatists fleeing a crackdown by Indian authorities in Punjab. The attack followed a massacre two months earlier of twenty-nine villagers in the same area. In that incident, villagers collecting wood in the forest were captured by suspected militants, bound, and killed by automatic gunfire.(96)
  • In March 1992, four Sikh separatists armed with AK47 assault rifles went on a shooting spree in the industrial city of Ludhiana killing twenty civilians and injuring others. The armed gunmen drove a car first through the city's Vishwakarma residential district, mowing down ten people at a neighborhood market. The gunmen then drove on, shooting people at random along a two-mile route, killing eight more. They ended the rampage at a public square by shooting to death two more civilians, and then escaped.(97)
  • In May 1988, a total of sixty-five people were reported killed by Sikh extremists in hit-and-run attacks in a thirty-six-hour period.(98)
  • In Kuban village in October 1986, five gunmen sprayed a crowded marketplace with bullets on a Saturday killing eight people and injuring four. Police sources said the attack appeared to be in revenge for the police killing of militants in the area earlier the same month. It was the worst single attack since fourteen bus passengers were shot near Mukhtsar town three months earlier.(99)
  • On May 21, 1986, Sikh gunmen killed nine Hindus and two Sikhs in a shooting spree in an Amritsar market. The attacks came during a twelve-week period of separatist violence during which more than 230 people were killed, many of them Hindu civilians.(100)
Reports of attacks near Hindu temples, in conjunction with Hindu festivals, and even on Hindus praying at religious sites were also common; such attacks often involved use of deadly automatic weapons.
  • On July 14, 1992, four militants riding motorscooters opened fire at a busy shopping district in Bhatinda town in Punjab, killing seven civilians and injuring five more seriously. The incident took place outside a Hindu temple, and may have been in retaliation for a security operation aimed at flushing out militants in the area.(105)
  • In April 1990, thirty-five people were killed when a bomb exploded during a Hindu religious procession; Sikh separatists were suspected. The bombing set off dozens of Hindu-Sikh clashes throughout the state, resulting in another sixteen deaths.(106)
  • In October 1987, gunmen on a motorscooter killed at least eight people in the Indian capital, spraying submachine gun bullets in a residential neighborhood and at fairs heralding the Hindu New Year. The gunmen then abandoned their scooter and boarded a public bus which was halted at a police roadblock about six miles from the shootings. The gunmen opened fire, wounding a sub-inspector and a passenger.(107)
  • In May 1986, Sikh extremists reportedly opened fire with automatic weapons on Hindus praying outside a small-town shrine in Punjab state, killing two and wounding seven. The shooting occurred as the Hindus were reading from the Hindu epic Ramayana in what was to have been a night-long prayer vigil. It was the second major attack in a month in Jandiala Gur, a town fifteen miles east of Amritsar.(108)
  • The Arms Project identified dozens of reports of attacks on buses and trains carried out by militants. The following accounts are representative examples:
  • In December 1992, a state-run bus traveling to Chandigarh was ambushed by six militants, believed to be members of the Khalistan Liberation Front, who ordered Hindu passengers to stand apart from the Sikhs. The gunmen reportedly then raked the Hindus with hundreds of rounds of AK47 rifle fire, killing sixteen and wounding nine. Five weeks earlier, twenty-five Hindu migrant laborers were killed in a similar bus attack.(113)
  • On November 4, 1992, militants placed road blocks and stopped vehicles on the Gurdaspur-Tibri road near Amritsar. Seventeen persons identified as Hindu were shot. According to a report published in the Punjab English daily, Tribune, the police claimed to have recovered a note on Bhindranwale Tiger Force (btf) letterhead stating that the killings were in retaliation for the killing of a btf leader.(114)
  • In an October 1992 attack marking the fourth anniversary of the assassination of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, Sikh gunmen bombed an intercity bus near the border between Punjab and Kashmir, killing eighteen civilians and seriously injuring twenty-eight. The attack, along with two separate attacks against Hindu laborers, triggered anti-Sikh rioting.(115)
  • At about 9:30 P.M. on June 15, 1991, gunmen opened fire inside two passenger trains stopped outside Ludhiana, killing at least 75 passengers. The attacks reportedly were coordinated, as both trains were stopped about a mile from the station by having their emergency cords pulled. Survivors stated that on one of the trains, Hindu passengers were identified before being shot. On the second train, the firing was indiscriminate, and many Sikhs as well as Hindus were killed. Although no group claimed responsibility for the attacks, they were believed to have been carried out by groups opposed to the elections scheduled for June 22.(116)
  • On July 7, 1987, Sikh separatists attacked two buses in northern Haryana state, killing thirty-four. Most of the victims were Hindu. The militants used a car and a jeep to create a roadblock. On one bus, they singled out particular passengers, dragged them off, and shot them to death. Militants then boarded the second bus and opened fire, killing all the passengers. Chinese-made AK47s were used in both attacks. The incidents occurred the day after militants opened fire on a bus in Punjab, killing forty passengers, and wounding twenty-seven. The victims were all Hindus bound for a pilgrimage center in Uttar Pradesh.(117)
  • In June 1987, militants hauled seventy-two Hindus off two rural buses and shot them dead.(118)
The following accounts, excerpted from press reports, also illustrate the pattern of such attacks:
  • In September 1993, a car bomb attack using RDX explosives against Sikh moderate politician Maninder Singh Bitta killed eight people. Bitta himself escaped with minor injuries. Three Sikh separatist organizations claimed joint responsibility.(129)
  • In May 1992, Sikh separatists riding scooters shot at the car of Excise and Tax Commissioner A.K. Mishra at Bradara Gardens in Patialia City. Mishra and his guards were killed, and the driver of the car was injured.(130)
  • In November 1988, Jagdev Singh Talwandi, a Sikh leader who had initiated moves to unite the main Sikh political party, was shot and critically injured. Two of his bodyguards were killed. Militant Sikhs opposing the unification were believed responsible for the attack.(131)
  • In January 1987, Sikh extremists armed with automatic rifles assassinated Joginder Pal Pandey, a leading Hindu politician and his bodyguard. Six other people were also killed by militants in a surge of attacks in Punjab.(132)
  • In September 1986, officials in Chandigarh said Additional District and Sessions Judge R.P. Gaind was shot four times by two Sikh gunmen in a store in Jullundur as his wife and daughter stood outside. The two assassins, armed with 9mm semi-automatic pistols, escaped on a motorscooter. Gaind had received death threats from Sikh militants after presiding three years ago over a dispute between Sikhs and Hindus involving a Hindu temple in Jullundur. He also tried cases involving Sikh separatists in the city of Hoshiarpur.(133)
and more......

stupidjassi

SPNer
Nov 2, 2007
mississauga, ON
good one jassi I hope we can prove some of these wrong.
bhagat singh ji, I doubt it. I was too young those times when these things happened. But my question is it true? can somebody prove this wrong?

no wonder why sikhs are leaving sikhi, because media is against sikhs, but did babar khalsa acutally do this? how could a sikh of guru gobind singh can do this? But as in case of Parmar (Talwinder Singh Parmar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) . this guy who swear that he`ll kill 50,000 hindus and bombed the plane , is this true?
Is the fault in our side?
seems like no one has answer eh...

stupidjassi

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
bhagat singh ji, I doubt it. I was too young those times when these things happened. But my question is it true? can somebody prove this wrong?

no wonder why sikhs are leaving sikhi, because media is against sikhs, but did babar khalsa acutally do this? how could a sikh of guru gobind singh can do this? But as in case of Parmar (Talwinder Singh Parmar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) . this guy who swear that he`ll kill 50,000 hindus and bombed the plane , is this true?
Is the fault in our side?
seems like no one has answer eh...

stupidjassi

There are bad apples in every religion .It does not mean that people should leave religion.
As far as fault is concerned yes fault was on both sides

Apr 4, 2007

no wonder why sikhs are leaving sikhi, because media is against sikhs, but did babar khalsa acutally do this? how could a sikh of guru gobind singh can do this?

please remember to take these incidents in context of the time they happened. in the time period from '78-'92, sikhs were routinely murdered by police, military, militant hindus, and sikh splinter groups (false nirankaris). when we isolate these incidents, they may look like terrorism, but put in context of the larger picture, one can see that most of them were more likely self defence or revenge. i have a hard time believing that sikhs would kill innocent victims. but remember that in the 80s in punjab, very few people were innocent!

many of these attacks were directed at politicians and police, or at militant hindu groups. not at regular civilians.

when your own country/government is trying to destroy your people, i don't think fighting back is necessarily terrorism.

i'm not saying that no sikhs made mistakes, because obviously there were some bad apples. but i think that the way the indian media has portreyed events makes it look as though the sikhs are to blame for far more than they really did.

this is just my opinion, based on the personal stories of friends and family who lived in punjab during that time.

Apr 4, 2007
Some of the human right wbesite actually publishing evidence that Sikhs were terrorists . Please comment

( http://www.hrw.org/campaigns/kashmir/1994/kashmir94-03.htm)

The accounts below are typical of attacks that appeared to be deliberately carried out by Sikh militants against randomly chosen, unarmed civilians in public places using deadly automatic weaponry.

• In an October 1992 attack marking the fourth anniversary of the assassination of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, Sikh gunmen bombed an intercity bus near the border between Punjab and Kashmir, killing eighteen civilians and seriously injuring twenty-eight. The attack, along with two separate attacks against Hindu laborers, triggered anti-Sikh rioting.(115)
and more......

sorry i can't address every point, but first, why is this under the heading "kashmir", if none of these incidents happened in kashmir?

second, 1992 would be the 8th anniversary of gandhi's death, not the 4th. makes me wonder how many other mistakes are in here...

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
words and terminology....
the "terrorists" that the British Govt hanged for crimes agaisnt the state..like Bhagat Singh are heroes of today with their statues being installed in the Democratic Parlaiment of India..and his hanging day is a Public Holiday...times change and so do definitions...as they say..one man's meat is another man's poison...
Gyani jarnail Singh

stupidjassi

SPNer
Nov 2, 2007
mississauga, ON
Yeah i know, but bhagat singh never killed innocent people , or fired in public place. He bombed in parliament without claiming any casualties.

Here i somehow managed to get a list in which they described how 'sikh terrorists' looted, fired on 'innocent' hindu public . and if they did, then for sure its terrorist act.

So i was just wondering that if they actually did it, or just media using these stuff to prove Sikh identity wrong.

stupidjassi

words and terminology....
the "terrorists" that the British Govt hanged for crimes agaisnt the state..like Bhagat Singh are heroes of today with their statues being installed in the Democratic Parlaiment of India..and his hanging day is a Public Holiday...times change and so do definitions...as they say..one man's meat is another man's poison...
Gyani jarnail Singh

stupidjassi

SPNer
Nov 2, 2007
mississauga, ON
yeha i know, seems like someone was in too rush when they made this report. lol. i dont know how much authentic is this report but this is wht they claim to be.

sorry i can't address every point, but first, why is this under the heading "kashmir", if none of these incidents happened in kashmir?

second, 1992 would be the 8th anniversary of gandhi's death, not the 4th. makes me wonder how many other mistakes are in here...

Apr 4, 2007
did you read the introductory paragraphs on that page you posted? they basically explain WHY sikh militancy started, how it was shaped and encouraged by the GOI... i don't think any sikh retaliation was surprising after the massive human rights abuses imposed by the punjab police, the military, and the GOI. how can a handfull of incidents compare to the daily torture and murder of innocent civilians by the police?

one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

i'm siding with the freedom fighters on this one.

Sherab

SPNer
Mar 26, 2007
USA
did you read the introductory paragraphs on that page you posted? they basically explain WHY sikh militancy started, how it was shaped and encouraged by the GOI... i don't think any sikh retaliation was surprising after the massive human rights abuses imposed by the punjab police, the military, and the GOI. how can a handfull of incidents compare to the daily torture and murder of innocent civilians by the police?

one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

i'm siding with the freedom fighters on this one.
Glad to see someone's on my side. :D

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Bhagat Singh murdered an innocent Deputy Police JP SAUNDERS.....when in fact he wanted to kill SCOTT the Police Chief who allegedly ordered the police to lathicharged lala lajpat rai to death.
The TRUTH is always hard to digest. Just becasue the Establishemtn today promotes a person as hero or martyr doesnt mean naything...ala..Bhinderawalleh and his picture in Sikh Musueum...see how many scream ****** murder at this and millions others WANT the HERO/MARTYR picture to be put up....same logic..bhinderawallh is some men's meat and others poison..
NOT FAR FETCHED ANALOGIES..dears but plain FACTS..
Gyani jarnail Singh

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
secondly..the "real sikhs" who deserve the martyr status cmae FORWARD and admitted to their actions...the killers of indira gandhi, the vaidya killers, the Sukhjinder and Jinda duo..etc etc etc DIDNT HIDE, DIDNT SHAVE to hide their ID..Didnt run away....they owned up to their actions - right or wrong is a matter of perception. The "HIDDEN KILLERS" are all ALLEGED (SIKHS) - no one claimed anything or saw anything..daily new evidence surfaces as to who really kills and then alleges/implicates...ala the Chittisnghpura massacre of innocnets just before Bill clintons visit has been proved to be different than those originally alleged !!! what is seen is not always truth...
Gyani jarnail Singh

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Bhagat Singh murdered an innocent Deputy Police JP SAUNDERS.....when in fact he wanted to kill SCOTT the Police Chief who allegedly ordered the police to lathicharged lala lajpat rai to death.
The TRUTH is always hard to digest. Just becasue the Establishemtn today promotes a person as hero or martyr doesnt mean naything...ala..Bhinderawalleh and his picture in Sikh Musueum...see how many scream ****** murder at this and millions others WANT the HERO/MARTYR picture to be put up....same logic..bhinderawallh is some men's meat and others poison..
NOT FAR FETCHED ANALOGIES..dears but plain FACTS..
Gyani jarnail Singh

he he, i was just going to mention the killing of saunders. good one. :thumbup:
I think we should see if bhidranwale was a terrorist or a freedom fighter before we discuss this broader topic

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM