• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Technique/bidh/ਬਿਧਿ/jugati/ਜੁਗਤਿ/ਜੁਗਤੀ/ਜੁਗਤ

vsgrewal48895

Writer
SPNer
Mar 12, 2009
Michigan
TECHNIQUE/BIDH (ਬਿਧਿ)/ JUGATI/ਜੁਗਤਿ/ਜੁਗਤੀ/ਜੁਗਤ

To reach the unreachable Akal Purkh

Bidh (ਬਿਧਿ)-Technique (1) ਢੰਗ, ਤਰੀਕੇ, ਜੁਗਤ, ਤਰਕੀਬ, ਪ੍ਰਕਾਰ, ਵਿੱਧੀ (2) ਹਾਲਤ (3) ਪ੍ਰਕਾਰ, ਵੰਨਗੀ ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ, ਜੁਗਤੀ (4) ਬਣਤ (5) ਢੋਹ, ਅਵਸਰ (6) ਸਿਆਣਪ, ਸੁਚੱਜ (7) ਤਰ੍ਹਾਂ (8) ਮਲ, ਤਥ.

Jugati/ ਜੁਗਤਿ/ਜੁਗਤੀ/ਜੁਗਤ means way, method, manner, way of living- Tip, hint, device (1) ਰਹਿਣੀ, ਢੰਗ, ਜੀਵਨ ਜਾਚ (2) ਵਿਉਂਤ, ਢੰਗ, ਤਰੀਕਾ (3) ਪ੍ਰਬੰਧ (4) ਯੋਗਤਾ, ਸਮਰਥਾ (5) ਸੰਸਾਰਕ ਕਾਮਯਾਬੀ (ਸਫਲਤਾ) (6) ਜੁਗਤੀ ਵਾਲੇ (7) ਜੁੜਿਆ ਹੋਇਆ- ਸੰ. ਯੁਕ੍ਤਿ. {ਸੰਗ੍ਯਾ}. ਤਦਬੀਰ. "ਜੋਗੀ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਨ ਜਾਣੈ ਅੰਧ". (ਧਨਾ ਮਃ ੧)। (2) ਤਰਕ. ਦਲੀਲ. "ਜੁਗਤਿਸਿੱਧ ਇਹ ਬਾਤ". (ਸਲੋਹ)। (3) ਤ਼ਰੀਕ਼ਾ. ਢੰਗ. ਇਆਹੂ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਬਿਹਾਨੇ ਕਈ ਜਨਮ ਹੈ". (ਸੁਖਮਨੀ)। (4) ਮ. "ਜੀਅ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਜਾਕੈ ਹੈ ਹਾਥਿ". (ਗਉ ਮਃ ੫)। (5) ਯੋਗ੍ਯਤਾ "ਜੋ ਵਰਤਾਏ ਸਾਈਪ੍ਰਬੰਧ. ਇੰਤਜਾ ਜੁਗਤਿ". (ਸੁਖਮਨੀ).

The way to meet and merge in Akal Purkh and to cross the worldly ocean (ਭਵਜਲ) is by attempting to become a Gurmukh, blessed by the Grace of the Akal Purkh/Guru (ਗੁਰਪਰਸਾਦਿ), in the company of Sadh Sangat, while being dead yet alive, subduing lower instincts and development of virtues, contemplation, and reflection of the teachings of Sabd Guru.
Gurus Nanak, Amardas, Ramdas, Arjan asks the question about the technique and answers;

Q. ਕਿਨ ਬਿਧਿ ਸਾਗਰੁ ਤਰੀਐ ॥

Kin biḏẖ sāgar ṯarī¬ai.

How can I cross over the world-ocean?

A. ਇਨ ਬਿਧਿ ਸਾਗਰੁ ਤਰੀਐ ॥ ਜੀਵਤਿਆ ਇਉ ਮਰੀਐ ॥

In biḏẖ sāgar ṯarī¬ai. Jīvṯi¬ā i¬o marī¬ai.

Remaining dead while yet alive, you shall cross over the world-ocean.-----Guru Nanak, Raag Ramkali, AGGS, Page, 877-4 & 8

Q. ਜਾਇ ਪੁਛਾ ਤਿਨ ਸਜਣਾ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਕਿਤੁ ਬਿਧਿ ਮਿਲੈ ਮਿਲਾਇ ॥

Jā¬ė pucẖẖā ṯin sajṇā parabẖ kiṯ biḏẖ milai milā¬ė.

I go and ask my friends, How can I meet and merge with Akal Purkh?

A. ਹਉ ਗੁਰ ਸਰਣਾਈ ਢਹਿ ਪਵਾ ਕਰਿ ਦਇਆ ਮੇਲੇ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਸੋਇ ॥

Ha¬o gur sarṇā¬ī dẖeh pavā kar ḏa¬i¬ā mėlė parabẖ so¬ė.

I have come and collapsed in the Guru's Sanctuary. In His Kindness, He has united me with Akal Purkh.-----Guru Amardas, Sri Raag, AGGS, Page, 39-16 & 19

Q. ਹਰਿ ਕਿਤੁ ਬਿਧਿ ਪਾਈਐ ਸੰਤ ਜਨਹੁ ਜਿਸੁ ਦੇਖਿ ਹਉ ਜੀਵਾ ॥

Har kiṯ biḏẖ pā¬ī¬ai sanṯ janhu jis ḏėkẖ ha¬o jīvā.

How can the Akal Purkh be obtained, O Saints? Seeing It, my life is sustained.-----Guru Amardas, Raag Gauri Bairagan, AGGS, Page, 163

A. ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਭੇਦਿਆ ਇਨ ਬਿਧਿ ਵਸਿਆ ਮਨਿ ਆਇ ॥

Gur kai sabaḏ bẖėḏi¬ā in biḏẖ vasi¬ā man ā¬ė.

Through the Word of the Guru's Sabd, Akal Purkh’s mystery is known and in this way, It comes to dwell in the mind.-----Guru Amardas, Raag Bihagrha, AGGS, Page, 555-12

Q. ਮੇਰਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਕਿਤੁ ਬਿਧਿ ਮਿਲੈ ॥

Mėrā saṯgur pi¬ārā kiṯ biḏẖ milai.

How can I meet my Beloved True Guru?

A. ਗੁਰਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਦਾਤੈ ਪੰਥੁ ਬਤਾਇਆ ਹਰਿ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਆਇ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਮੇਰੀ ॥

Gur saṯgur ḏāṯai panth baṯā¬i¬ā har mili¬ā ā¬ė parabẖ mėrī.

The Guru, the True Guru, the Giver, has shown me the Way; my Akal Purkh came and met me.-----Guru Ram Das, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 168-12 & 170-17

Q. ਹਰਿ ਦਸਹੁ ਸੰਤਹੁ ਜੀ ਹਰਿ ਖੋਜੁ ਪਵਾਈ ਜੀਉ ॥

Har ḏashu sanṯahu jī har kẖoj pavā¬ī jī¬o.

Show me the way to the Akal Purkh, Dear Saints; I am searching all over for It.

A. ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਤੁਠੜਾ ਦਸੇ ਹਰਿ ਪਾਈ ਜੀਉ ॥

Saṯgur ṯuṯẖ¬ṛā ḏasė har pā¬ī jī¬o.

The Kind and Compassionate True Guru has shown me the Way, and I have found the Akal Purkh.-----Guru Ram Das, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 175-13

Q. ਕਿਤੁ ਬਿਧੀਐ ਕਿਤੁ ਸੰਜਮਿ ਪਾਈਐ ॥ਕਹੁ ਸੁਰਜਨ ਕਿਤੁ ਜੁਗਤੀ ਧਿਆਈਐ ॥

Kiṯ biḏẖī¬ai kiṯ sanjam pā¬ī¬ai. Kaho surjan kiṯ jugṯī ḏẖi¬ā¬ī¬ai.

In what way, and by what discipline, is Akal Purkh obtained? Tell me, O good man, by what means can we meditate on It.

A. ਜੋ ਮਾਨੁਖੁ ਮਾਨੁਖ ਕੀ ਸੇਵਾ ਓਹੁ ਤਿਸ ਕੀ ਲਈ ਲਈ ਫੁਨਿ ਜਾਈਐ ॥ਨਾਨਕ ਸਰਨਿ ਸਰਣਿ ਸੁਖ ਸਾਗਰ ਮੋਹਿ ਟੇਕ ਤੇਰੋ ਇਕ ਨਾਈਐ ॥

Jo mānukẖ mānukẖ kī sėvā oh ṯis kī la¬ī la¬ī fun jā¬ī¬ai. Nānak saran saraṇ sukẖ sāgar mohi tėk ṯėro ik nā¬ī¬ai.

If one human being serves another human being, the one served stands by him. Nanak seeks Your Sanctuary and Protection, O, Akal Purkh, ocean of peace; Nanak takes the Support of Your Name alone.-----Guru Arjan, Raag Bilawal, AGGS, Page, 822

Q. ਕਿਨਿ ਬਿਧਿ ਮਿਲੀਐ ਕਿਨਿ ਬਿਧਿ ਬਿਛੁਰੈ ਇਹ ਬਿਧਿ ਕਉਣੁ ਪ੍ਰਗਟਾਏ ਜੀਉ ॥

Kin biḏẖ milī¬ai kin biḏẖ bicẖẖurai ih biḏẖ ka¬uṇ pargatā¬ė jī¬o.

How can one meet the Akal Purkh? How is one separated from It? Who can reveal the way to me?

A. ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਮਿਲੀਐ ਮਨਮੁਖਿ ਵਿਛੁਰੈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਬਿਧਿ ਪ੍ਰਗਟਾਏ ਜੀਉ ॥

Gurmukẖ milī¬ai manmukẖ vicẖẖurai gurmukẖ biḏẖ pargatā¬ė jī¬o.

The Gurmukh is united with the Akal Purkh, while the Manmukh is separated from It. The Gurmukh reveals the way.-----Guru Arjan, Raag Majh, AGGS, Page, 131-6 & 11

A. ਰਮਈਆ ਜਪਹੁ ਪ੍ਰਾਣੀ ਅਨਤ ਜੀਵਣ ਬਾਣੀ ਇਨ ਬਿਧਿ ਭਵ ਸਾਗਰੁ ਤਰਣਾ ॥

Rama¬ī¬ā japahu parāṇī anaṯ jīvaṇ baṇī in biḏẖ bẖav sāgar ṯarṇā.

Meditate on the Akal Purkh, O mortal being, through the Word of Its Bani; you shall be blessed with eternal life. In this way, shall you cross over the terrifying world-ocean? -----Kabir, Sri Raag, AGGS, Page, 92-2

Guru Arjan describes the way (ਬਿਧਿ) in Raag Asa- i.e. Contemplation of Naam, eradicating attachment to Maya, singing in holy congregations, and devotional love of the Akal Purkh lead to enlightenment of Namdev, Kabir, Ravidas, Sain, and Dhanna;

ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਗੋਬਿੰਦ ਸੰਗਿ ਨਾਮਦੇਉ ਮਨੁ ਲੀਣਾ ॥ਆਢ ਦਾਮ ਕੋ ਛੀਪਰੋ ਹੋਇਓ ਲਾਖੀਣਾ ॥ਬੁਨਨਾ ਤਨਨਾ ਤਿਆਗਿ ਕੈ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਚਰਨ ਕਬੀਰਾ ॥ ਨੀਚ ਕੁਲਾ ਜੋਲਾਹਰਾ ਭਇਓ ਗੁਨੀਯ ਗਹੀਰਾ ॥ਰਵਿਦਾਸੁ ਢੁਵੰਤਾ ਢੋਰ ਨੀਤਿ ਤਿਨਿ ਤਿਆਗੀ ਮਾਇਆ ॥ਪਰਗਟੁ ਹੋਆ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਹਰਿ ਦਰਸਨੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥ਸੈਨੁ ਨਾਈ ਬੁਤਕਾਰੀਆ ਓਹੁ ਘਰਿ ਘਰਿ ਸੁਨਿਆ ॥ਹਿਰਦੇ ਵਸਿਆ ਪਾਰਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਭਗਤਾ ਮਹਿ ਗਨਿਆ॥ਇਹ ਬਿਧਿ ਸੁਨਿ ਕੈ ਜਾਟਰੋ ਉਠਿ ਭਗਤੀ ਲਾਗਾ ॥ਮਿਲੇ ਪ੍ਰਤਖਿ ਗੁਸਾਈਆ ਧੰਨਾ ਵਡਭਾਗਾ ॥

Gobinḏ gobinḏ gobinḏ sang nāmḏė¬o man līṇā. Ādẖ ḏām ko cẖẖīpro ho¬i¬o lākẖīṇā. Bunnā ṯannā ṯi¬āg kai parīṯ cẖaran kabīrā. Nīcẖ kulā jolāharā bẖa¬i¬o gunīy gahīrā. Raviḏās dẖuvanṯā dẖor nīṯ ṯin ṯi¬āgī mā¬i¬ā. Pargat ho¬ā sāḏẖsang har ḏarsan pā¬i¬ā. Sain nā¬ī buṯkārī¬ā oh gẖar gẖar suni¬ā. Hirḏė vasi¬ā pārbarahm bẖagṯā meh gani¬ā. Ih biḏẖ sun kai jātro uṯẖ bẖagṯī lāgā. Milė parṯakẖ gusā¬ī¬ā ḏẖannā vadbẖāgā.

Naam Dev's mind was absorbed into God, Gobind, Gobind, Gobind. The calico-printer, worth half a shell, became worth millions. Abandoning weaving and stretching thread, Kabir enshrined love for the Akal Purkh's lotus feet. A weaver from a lowly family, became an ocean of excellence. Ravi Das, who used to carry dead cows every day, renounced the world of Maya. He became famous in the Company of the Holy, and obtained the Blessed Vision of the Akal Purkh's Sight. Sain, the barber, the village drudge, became famous in each and every house. The Supreme Akal Purkh dwelled in his heart, and he was counted among the devotees. Hearing this, Dhanna the Jaat applied himself to devotional worship. The Akal Purkh of the Universe met him personally; Dhanna was so very blessed.-----Guru Arjan, Raag Asa, AGGS, Page, 488

What all this actually comes to; is to stay in bliss and happiness, being dead while alive as Guru Arjan describes it in Raag Gauri;

ਕਿਨ ਬਿਧਿ ਕੁਸਲੁ ਹੋਤ ਮੇਰੇ ਭਾਈ ॥ਕਿਉ ਪਾਈਐ ਹਰਿ ਰਾਮ ਸਹਾਈ ॥ ਕੁਸਲੁ ਨ ਗ੍ਰਿਹਿ ਮੇਰੀ ਸਭ ਮਾਇਆ ॥ ਊਚੇ ਮੰਦਰ ਸੁੰਦਰ ਛਾਇਆ ॥ਲਸਕਰ ਜੋੜੇ ਨੇਬ ਖਵਾਸਾ ॥ਗਲਿ ਜੇਵੜੀ ਹਉਮੈ ਕੇ ਫਾਸਾ ॥ਰਾਜੁ ਕਮਾਵੈ ਦਹ ਦਿਸ ਸਾਰੀ ॥ਮਾਣੈ ਰੰਗ ਭੋਗ ਬਹੁ ਨਾਰੀ ॥ਜਿਉ ਨਰਪਤਿ ਸੁਪਨੈ ਭੇਖਾਰੀ ॥ਏਕੁ ਕੁਸਲੁ ਮੋ ਕਉ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਬਤਾਇਆ ॥ਹਰਿ ਜੋ ਕਿਛੁ ਕਰੇ ਸੁ ਹਰਿ ਕਿਆ ਭਗਤਾ ਭਾਇਆ ॥ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਉਮੈ ਮਾਰਿ ਸਮਾਇਆ ॥ ਇਨਿ ਬਿਧਿ ਕੁਸਲ ਹੋਤ ਮੇਰੇ ਭਾਈ ॥ਇਉ ਪਾਈਐ ਹਰਿ ਰਾਮ ਸਹਾਈ ॥

Kin biḏẖ kusal hoṯ mėrė bẖā¬ī. Ki¬o pā¬ī¬ai har rām sahā¬ī. Kusal na garihi mėrī sabẖ mā¬i¬ā. Ūcẖė manḏar sunḏar cẖẖā¬i¬ā. Jẖūṯẖė lālacẖ janam gavā¬i¬ā. Hasṯī gẖoṛė ḏėkẖ vigāsā. Laskar joṛė nėb kẖavāsā. Gal jėvṛī ha¬umai kė fāsā. Rāj kamāvai ḏah ḏis sārī. Māṇai rang bẖog baho nārī. Ji¬o narpaṯ supnai bẖėkẖārī. Ėk kusal mo ka¬o saṯgurū baṯā¬i¬ā. Har jo kicẖẖ karė so har ki¬ā bẖagṯā bẖā¬i¬ā. Jan Nānak ha¬umai mār samā¬i¬ā. In biḏẖ kusal hoṯ mėrė bẖā¬ī. I¬o pā¬ī¬ai har rām sahā¬ī.

How can happiness be found, O my Siblings of Destiny? How can the Akal Purkh, our Help and Support, be found? There is no happiness in owning one's own home, in all of Maya, or in lofty mansions casting beautiful shadows. In fraud and greed, this human life is being wasted. He is pleased at the sight of his elephants and horses and his armies assembled his servants and his soldiers. But the noose of egotism is tightening around his neck. His rule may extend in all ten directions; he may revel in pleasures, and enjoy many women -but he is just a beggar, who in his dream is a king. The True Guru has shown me that there is only one pleasure. Whatever Akal Purkh does, is pleasing to the Its devotee. Servant Nanak has abolished his ego, and he is absorbed in the Akal Purkh. This is the way to find happiness, O my Siblings of Destiny. This is the way to find Akal Purkh, our Help and Support.-----Guru Arjan, Raag Gauri, AGGS, Page, 175 & 176-4

Conclusion;

Guru Nanak describes the only way union of individual conscience occurs with Universal Conscience in Raag Tilang;

ਇਆਨੜੀਏ ਮਾਨੜਾ ਕਾਇ ਕਰੇਹਿ ॥ ਆਪਨੜੈ ਘਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਰੰਗੋ ਕੀ ਨ ਮਾਣੇਹਿ ॥ ਸਹੁ ਨੇੜੈ ਧਨ ਕੰਮਲੀਏ ਬਾਹਰੁ ਕਿਆ ਢੂਢੇਹਿ ॥ ਭੈ ਕੀਆ ਦੇਹਿ ਸਲਾਈਆ ਨੈਣੀ ਭਾਵ ਕਾ ਕਰਿ ਸੀਗਾਰੋ ॥ ਤਾ ਸੋਹਾਗਣਿ ਜਾਣੀਐ ਲਾਗੀ ਜਾ ਸਹੁ ਧਰੇ ਪਿਆਰੋ ॥ ਇਆਣੀ ਬਾਲੀ ਕਿਆ ਕਰੇ ਜਾ ਧਨ ਕੰਤ ਨ ਭਾਵੈ ॥ ਕਰਣ ਪਲਾਹ ਕਰੇ ਬਹੁਤੇਰੇ ਸਾ ਧਨ ਮਹਲੁ ਨ ਪਾਵੈ ॥ ਵਿਣੁ ਕਰਮਾ ਕਿਛੁ ਪਾਈਐ ਨਾਹੀ ਜੇ ਬਹੁਤੇਰਾ ਧਾਵੈ ॥ ਲਬ ਲੋਭ ਅਹੰਕਾਰ ਕੀ ਮਾਤੀ ਮਾਇਆ ਮਾਹਿ ਸਮਾਣੀ ॥ ਇਨੀ ਬਾਤੀ ਸਹੁ ਪਾਈਐ ਨਾਹੀ ਭਈ ਕਾਮਣਿ ਇਆਣੀ ॥ ਜਾਇ ਪੁਛਹੁ ਸੋਹਾਗਣੀ ਵਾਹੈ ਕਿਨੀ ਬਾਤੀ ਸਹੁ ਪਾਈਐ ॥ ਜੋ ਕਿਛੁ ਕਰੇ ਸੋ ਭਲਾ ਕਰਿ ਮਾਨੀਐ ਹਿਕਮਤਿ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਚੁਕਾਈਐ ॥ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਪ੍ਰੇਮਿ ਪਦਾਰਥੁ ਪਾਈਐ ਤਉ ਚਰਣੀ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਈਐ ॥ ਸਹੁ ਕਹੈ ਸੋ ਕੀਜੈ ਤਨੁ ਮਨੋ ਦੀਜੈ ਐਸਾ ਪਰਮਲੁ ਲਾਈਐ ॥ ਏਵ ਕਹਹਿ ਸੋਹਾਗਣੀ ਭੈਣੇ ਇਨੀ ਬਾਤੀ ਸਹੁ ਪਾਈਐ ॥ ਆਪੁ ਗਵਾਈਐ ਤਾ ਸਹੁ ਪਾਈਐ ਅਉਰੁ ਕੈਸੀ ਚਤੁਰਾਈ ॥ ਸਹੁ ਨਦਰਿ ਕਰਿ ਦੇਖੈ ਸੋ ਦਿਨੁ ਲੇਖੈ ਕਾਮਣਿ ਨਉ ਨਿਧਿ ਪਾਈ ॥ ਆਪਣੇ ਕੰਤ ਪਿਆਰੀ ਸਾ ਸੋਹਾਗਣਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾ ਸਭਰਾਈ ॥ ਐਸੈ ਰੰਗਿ ਰਾਤੀ ਸਹਜ ਕੀ ਮਾਤੀ ਅਹਿਨਿਸਿ ਭਾਇ ਸਮਾਣੀ ॥ ਸੁੰਦਰਿ ਸਾਇ ਸਰੂਪ ਬਿਚਖਣਿ ਕਹੀਐ ਸਾ ਸਿਆਣੀ ॥

I­ānṛī­ė mānṛā kā­ė karėhi. Āpnaṛai gẖar har rango kī na māṇeh. Saho nėṛai ḏẖan kammlī­ė bāhar ki­ā dẖūdẖėhi. Bẖai kī­ā ḏeh salā­ī­ā naiṇī bẖāv kā kar sīgāro. Ŧā sohagaṇ jāṇī­ai lāgī jā saho ḏẖarė pi­āro. I­āṇī bālī ki­ā karė jā ḏẖan kanṯ na bẖāvai. Karaṇ palāh karė bahuṯėrė sā ḏẖan mahal na pāvai. viṇ karmā kicẖẖ pā­ī­ai nāhī jė bahuṯėrā ḏẖāvai. Lab lobẖ ahaʼnkār kī māṯī mā­i­ā māhi samāṇī. Inī bāṯī saho pā­ī­ai nāhī bẖa­ī kāmaṇ i­āṇī. Jā­ė pucẖẖahu sohāgaṇī vāhai kinī bāṯī saho pā­ī­ai. Jo kicẖẖ karė so bẖalā kar mānī­ai hikmaṯ hukam cẖukẖā­ī­ai. Jā kai parėm paḏārath pā­ī­ai ṯa­o cẖarṇī cẖiṯ lā­ī­ai. Saho kahai so kījai ṯan mano ḏījai aisā parmal lā­ī­ai. Ėv kaheh sohāgaṇī bẖaiṇė inī bāṯī saho pā­ī­ai. Āp gavā­ī­ai ṯā saho pā­ī­ai a­or kaisī cẖaṯurā­ī. Saho naḏar kar ḏėkẖai so ḏin lėkẖai kāmaṇ na­o niḏẖ pā­ī. Āpṇė kanṯ pi­ārī sā sohagaṇ Nānak sā sabẖrā­ī. Aisė rang rāṯī sahj kī māṯī ahinis bẖā­ė samāṇī. Sunḏar sā­ė sarūp bicẖkẖaṇ kahī­ai sā si­āṇī.

O foolish and ignorant soul-bride, why are you so proud? Within the home of your own self, why do you not enjoy the Love of your Akal Purkh? Your Husband Akal Purkh is so very near, O foolish bride; why do you search for It outside? Apply the Fear of God as the mascara to adorn your eyes, and make the Love of the It your ornament. Then, you shall be known as a devoted and committed soul-bride, when you enshrine love for your Husband Akal Purkh. What can the silly young bride do, if she is not pleasing to her Husband? She may plead and implore so many times, but still, such a bride shall not obtain the Mansion of the Akal Purkh. Without the karma of good deeds, nothing is obtained, although she may run around frantically. She is intoxicated with greed, pride and egotism, and engrossed in Maya. She cannot obtain her Husband in these ways; the young bride is so foolish! Go and ask the happy, pure soul-brides, how did they obtain their Husband? Whatever the Akal Purkh (Husband) does, accept that as good; do away with your own cleverness and self-will. By Akal Purkh’s Love, true wealth is obtained; link your consciousness to Its lotus feet. As your Husband directs, so you must act; surrender your body and mind to It, and apply this perfume to yourself. So speaks the happy soul-bride, O, sister; in this way, the Husband Akal Purkh is obtained. Give up your selfhood, and so obtain your Husband; what other clever tricks are of any use? When the Husband looks upon the soul-bride with Its Gracious Glance, that day is historic - the bride obtains the nine treasures. She, who is loved by her Husband Akal Purkh, is the true soul-bride; O Nanak, she is the queen of all. Thus she is imbued with Its Love, intoxicated with delight; day and night, she is absorbed in Its Love. She is beautiful, glorious and brilliant; she is known as truly wise. -----Guru Nanak, Raag Tilang, AGGS, Page, 722

ਸਾਧੋ ਕਉਨ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਅਬ ਕੀਜੈ ॥ ਜਾ ਤੇ ਦੁਰਮਤਿ ਸਗਲ ਬਿਨਾਸੈ ਰਾਮ ਭਗਤਿ ਮਨੁ ਭੀਜੈ ॥ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਇਆ ਮਹਿ ਉਰਝਿ ਰਹਿਓ ਹੈ ਬੂਝੈ ਨਹ ਕਛੁ ਗਿਆਨਾ ॥ ਕਉਨੁ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਗੁ ਜਾ ਕੈ ਸਿਮਰੈ ਪਾਵੈ ਪਦੁ ਨਿਰਬਾਨਾ ॥ ਭਏ ਦਇਆਲ ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾਲ ਸੰਤ ਜਨ ਤਬ ਇਹ ਬਾਤ ਬਤਾਈ ॥ ਸਰਬ ਧਰਮ ਮਾਨੋ ਤਿਹ ਕੀਏ ਜਿਹ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਕੀਰਤਿ ਗਾਈ ॥ ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਰੁ ਨਿਸਿ ਬਾਸੁਰ ਮਹਿ ਨਿਮਖ ਏਕ ਉਰਿ ਧਾਰੈ ॥ ਜਮ ਕੋ ਤ੍ਰਾਸੁ ਮਿਟੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਤਿਹ ਅਪੁਨੋ ਜਨਮੁ ਸਵਾਰੈ ॥

Sāḏẖo ka­un jugaṯ ab kījai. Jā ṯė ḏurmaṯ sagal bināsai rām bẖagaṯ man bẖījai. Man mā­i­ā meh urajẖ rahi­o hai būjẖai nah kacẖẖ gi­ānā. Ka­un nām jag jā kai simrai pāvai paḏ nirbānā. Sarab ḏẖaram māno ṯih kī­ė jih parabẖ kīraṯ gā­ī. Bẖa­ė ḏa­i­āl kirpāl sanṯ jan ṯab ih bāṯ baṯā­ī. Rām nām nar nis bāsur meh nimakẖ ėk ur ḏẖārai. Jam ko ṯarās mitai Nānak ṯih apuno janam savārai.

Holy people: what way should I now adopt, by which all evil-mindedness may be dispelled, and the mind may inundate in devotional worship to the Akal Purkh. My mind is entangled in Maya; it knows nothing at all of spiritual wisdom. What is that Name, by contemplating which the world, might attain the state of Nirvana? When the Saints became kind and compassionate, they told me to understand that whoever sings God's Praises in holy congregation has performed all religious rituals. One who enshrines the Akal Purkh's Name in his heart night and day - even for an instant - has his fear of Death eradicated, and his life is approved and fulfilled, says Nanak.-----Guru Tegh Bahadur, Raag, Ramkali, AGGS, Page, 902

Virinder S. Grewal

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
Re: Technique/bidh (ਬਿਧਿ)/ jugati/ਜੁਗਤਿ/ਜੁਗਤੀ/ਜੁਗਤ

Before mentioning the technique, it would have been better if the author had listed the mandatory pre-qualificiation in order to qualify for His Grace which is the main cardinal of Sabd Guru to implement the technique. Let us not pick one line pankti and miss the most important pankti of Grace. This way it only give the impression that author is giving the injunction that simply by following this formula one can merge with Him. Our youths are being misleaded by one liner pankti. Please for heaven sake avoid one liner pankti.
Mohinder Singh Sahni

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

japjisahib04 ji

You have made some very interesting and important observations in your comments above. Please, for my own education, elaborate on what you mean by the mandatory prequalification. There are others, readers and active members, who would like to learn more. And you are someone from whom we can learn. Thank you.

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait

japjisahib04 ji

You have made some very interesting and important observations in your comments above. Please, for my own education, elaborate on what you mean by the mandatory prequalification. There are others, readers and active members, who would like to learn more. And you are someone from whom we can learn. Thank you.
Narayanjot Ji, Answer is in the first stanza of Japjisahib where Guru sahib after rejecting some of the technique and rituals(like outwards bathing at pilgrimage, observing silence, observing fast or just knowledge) adopted by different people very clearly laid down the pre-qualification and stated in order to be truthful with your beloved God first and foremost is, 'hukam razzai chalna' live in harmony with the nature and don't act smart by makaing correction in His perfection with the Engine on which you are going to carry the sabd guru. A faulty or corrected Engine will only churn water.
Best regards
Mohinder Singh Sahni

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA

BEAUTIFULLY PUT Sahni Ji.
The "Engine" is also called the HARMANDER..by Third Satguru Guru Amardass Ji Sahib..its the HUMAN BODY...the HOLY ABODE of the CREATOR HIMSELF.....AND YES..the very basic..the very First pre-qualification..is to keep the Human Body as it is made by Him. The smart - -Alecks who try and "improve" on it this Holy Abode...driven by their HAUMAII...I ness..ME ness....look better..look smarter..etc etc will not get the GURPARSAAD..His GRACE no matter how much they try and fool themselves...BECAUSE he is ALL PERFECT adn whatever He created is all PERFECT..we have to admit that before we can progress further..First step of the Bidhi..jugtee.

The Previous jugtees..of the yogis..Sidhs..sadhus..etc..who made huge holes in their ear lobes..who matted their Hair.. who shaved BALD and Pulled out their Hair by the roots...who sat on one leg..hanging by their arms..who starved their bodies..who rubbed ashes and never bathed..who sat for ages in caves and forests..who only ate roots and leaves..who only bathed at teeraths..who observed total silence...who walkde about as brahmacharees and not having fmailies..etc etc were ALL REJECTED. These were also Haumaii driven and altered their Bodies/abused the body through austerities etc etc to receive GURPARSAAD....and please the Creator..GURU JI REJECTED these as FAILURES.

HUKM RAZAII CHALLNNA...as SANT-SIPAHI is the first prequalification.

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait

Giani Ji

38 stanzas and two sloks of Japjisahib are threaded in such a beautiful way, which gradually raises the conscious of devotee for union with Sabd Guru for our ultimate sachkhand where you see God in all and then, 'na oh marai na thagai jaey'. One liner pankti is only good to fill certain gap forsocial, Human, Economical, Journalistic, Political or Psychological issue and not for a devotee to loves His beloved.
Mohinder Singh Sahni

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: