• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 5 Sabad 7 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੫ ਸਬਦ ੭

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.
Salok

ਦੇਨਹਾਰੁ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਛੋਡਿ ਕੈ ਲਾਗਹਿ ਆਨ ਸੁਆਇ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਹੂ ਸੀਝਈ ਬਿਨੁ ਨਾਵੈ ਪਤਿ ਜਾਇ ੧॥
Ḏenhār parabẖ cẖẖod kai lāgėh ān su▫ā▫e. Nānak kahū na sījẖ▫ī bin nāvai paṯ jā▫e. ||1||
Leaving the creator that bestows, is busy in other selfishness. Nanak, such can never achieve success as without the creator there is no honor.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.
Eight stanzas hymn

ਰਹਤ ਅਵਰ ਕਛੁ ਅਵਰ ਕਮਾਵਤ ਮਨਿ ਨਹੀ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਮੁਖਹੁ ਗੰਢ ਲਾਵਤ
Rahaṯ avar kacẖẖ avar kamāvaṯ. Man nahī parīṯ mukẖahu gandẖ lāvaṯ.
Persona is one but living is something else. Mind is not in love but mouth is making stories.

ਜਾਨਨਹਾਰ ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਪਰਬੀਨ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਭੇਖ ਕਾਹੂ ਭੀਨ
Jānanhār parabẖū parbīn. Bāhar bẖekẖ na kāhū bẖīn.
The smart creator knows it all. The outside garb will never impress.

ਅਵਰ ਉਪਦੇਸੈ ਆਪਿ ਕਰੈ ਆਵਤ ਜਾਵਤ ਜਨਮੈ ਮਰੈ
Avar upḏesai āp na karai. Āvaṯ jāvaṯ janmai marai.
Advising others but not so doing self. Such come and go with birth and death.

ਜਿਸ ਕੈ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਬਸੈ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰੁ ਤਿਸ ਕੀ ਸੀਖ ਤਰੈ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ
Jis kai anṯar basai nirankār. Ŧis kī sīkẖ ṯarai sansār.
One who has the formless creator residing inside. All beings learn from such and find salvation.

ਜੋ ਤੁਮ ਭਾਨੇ ਤਿਨ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਜਾਤਾ ਨਾਨਕ ਉਨ ਜਨ ਚਰਨ ਪਰਾਤਾ ੭॥
Jo ṯum bẖāne ṯin parabẖ jāṯā. Nānak un jan cẖaran parāṯā. ||7||
The pious who are so liked, they understand the creator. Nanak, bows to the feet of such pious.
ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji state that ones busy collecting worldly goods should reflect. The accomplishments are incomplete without honor. The honor is there in association of one with the creator in all.

Guru Arjan Dev ji in Astpadi 5, 7th sabad cite the states of truthful living. The duality where inside differs from outside is rejected. Guru ji state that the creator knows all and can not be so cheated through this duality.

Guru ji conclude that the really pious living as one inside and out who recognize the creator are help to self and others that associate with such.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

Kanwaljit.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Jan 29, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
ਰਹਤ ਅਵਰ ਕਛੁ ਅਵਰ ਕਮਾਵਤ ॥

This is we see so often in life - we tell people ki Har Velle Rabb to Dari da hai ji! (At all times we live in fear of Lord) and the next thing we know we are at work saying lies and making use of deception!

PS: Ambarsaria ji can you make sure the Gurbani tuk is not underlined. I think it can be handled by removing the hyperlink formatting or simply trying to undo underline.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਰਹਤ ਅਵਰ ਕਛੁ ਅਵਰ ਕਮਾਵਤ ॥

This is we see so often in life - we tell people ki Har Velle Rabb to Dari da hai ji! (At all times we live in fear of Lord) and the next thing we know we are at work saying lies and making use of deception!

PS: Ambarsaria ji can you make sure the Gurbani tuk is not underlined. I think it can be handled by removing the hyperlink formatting or simply trying to undo underline.
Veer Kanwaljit Singh ji thanks for your comments.

The beauty of the underlined/hyper-link is that you can click on any word and get the dictionary at srigranth.org. As long as srigranth.org stays it will keep us in touch with guidance and a starting point in understanding some of the harder words.

Sat Sri Akal.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Persona is one but living is something else

It works both ways Kanwaljitji, from those who think great thoughts, but have dirty actions, to those who have great actions but dirty thoughts, such duality can drive a person mad, so that they do not even know who or what they are, for such people Gurbani and Sikhi is more than just a religion, or a guide, it is a cure, to me this is saying be true to yourself, and what is bad, improve , but do not deceive

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Persona is one but living is something else

It works both ways Kanwaljitji, from those who think great thoughts, but have dirty actions, to those who have great actions but dirty thoughts, such duality can drive a person mad, so that they do not even know who or what they are, for such people Gurbani and Sikhi is more than just a religion, or a guide, it is a cure, to me this is saying be true to yourself, and what is bad, improve , but do not deceive
My beloved veer Harry Haller ji, can a politician be a true Sikh or can a true Sikh be a Politician?lol

Hence perhaps Sikhs should try to keep politics and religion as separate entities! Most fights are when these get mixed up not only in Sikhism but most other religions too.

What you think!

Sat Sri Akal.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
My beloved veer Harry Haller ji, can a politician be a true Sikh or can a true Sikh be a Politician?lol

Hence perhaps Sikhs should try to keep politics and religion as separate entities! Most fights are when these get mixed up not only in Sikhism but most other religions too.

What you think!

Sat Sri Akal.
Veer Ji

I think you can take any walk of life and be true to yourself and your faith, in my mind a true politician is one who does not wish to do the job, but has to out of a responsibility.

In the words of Richard Pryor in the film Brewsters Millions, 'why would anyone spend millions of dollars to get elected to a position that pays $60,000 a year, if they did not intend to find a way to get a whole lot more back'

Why is it that as a shopkeeper, I have a duty within Sikhi to be honest and truthful in my dealings with the general public, but as a politician such intentions go out of the window, we expect our politicians to be corrupt, why else would they be politicians?

I think a true Sikh can be a politician, although it would be unusual to enter public service to serve the public, it would certainly be seen as eccentric, and no doubt, would not be popular with fellow politicians, I suppose it would count as bringing the profession into disgrace....

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: