• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 18 Sabad 7 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੧੮ ਸਬਦ ੭

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
ਸਲੋਕੁ
Salok.
Salok (Core theme of eight sabads/hymns in the Astpadi)

ਸਤਿ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਜਿਨਿ ਜਾਨਿਆ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਤਿਸ ਕਾ ਨਾਉ ਤਿਸ ਕੈ ਸੰਗਿ ਸਿਖੁ ਉਧਰੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਨ ਗਾਉ ੧॥
Saṯ purakẖ jin jāni▫ā saṯgur ṯis kā nā▫o. Ŧis kai sang sikẖ uḏẖrai Nānak har gun gā▫o. ||1||
Such who recognized the eternal omni-present one, name of such is the eternal creator. Nanak, in company of those, a learner is saved from ill deeds, so do sing virtues of the creator.

ਅਸਟਪਦੀ
Asatpaḏī.
Eight stanzas hymn

ਤਪਤਿ ਮਾਹਿ ਠਾਢਿ ਵਰਤਾਈ ਅਨਦੁ ਭਇਆ ਦੁਖ ਨਾਠੇ ਭਾਈ
Ŧapaṯ māhi ṯẖādẖ varṯā▫ī. Anaḏ bẖa▫i▫ā ḏukẖ nāṯẖe bẖā▫ī.
Heated one made cooled off. Brothers, happiness prevails suffering takes flight.

ਜਨਮ ਮਰਨ ਕੇ ਮਿਟੇ ਅੰਦੇਸੇ ਸਾਧੂ ਕੇ ਪੂਰਨ ਉਪਦੇਸੇ
Janam maran ke mite anḏese. Sāḏẖū ke pūran upḏese.
Fears of birth and death erased. Complete teaching of a pious one.

ਭਉ ਚੂਕਾ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਹੋਇ ਬਸੇ ਸਗਲ ਬਿਆਧਿ ਮਨ ਤੇ ਖੈ ਨਸੇ
Bẖa▫o cẖūkā nirbẖa▫o ho▫e base. Sagal bi▫āḏẖ man ṯe kẖai nase.
Fear removed, live in fearlessness. All body ailments destroyed and so leave the mind.

ਜਿਸ ਕਾ ਸਾ ਤਿਨਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਧਾਰੀ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਜਪਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਮੁਰਾਰੀ
Jis kā sā ṯin kirpā ḏẖārī. Sāḏẖsang jap nām murārī.
One who one is from, such has shown favor. In the company of the pious singing understanding of the creator.

ਥਿਤਿ ਪਾਈ ਚੂਕੇ ਭ੍ਰਮ ਗਵਨ ਸੁਨਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਸੁ ਸ੍ਰਵਨ ੭॥
Thiṯ pā▫ī cẖūke bẖaram gavan. Sun Nānak har har jas sarvan. ||7||
Tranquility comes misconceptions and wandering ends. Nanak, when listened to the praising of creator and only creator’s virtues.
ESSENCE: In the salok, Guru ji state that those who recognize the true one, will know it to be the eternal creator. Company of such people saves one from ills and so sing the virtues of the creator .

Guru Arjan Dev ji in Astpadi 18, 7th sabad describe the state of cool comfort versus agitation, elimination of the fear of birth and death , enabled a life without fears. This all comes about by creator’s grace and in pious learning and guidance based on the praises and virtues of the creator.

Guru ji conclude praising the creator brings about tranquility of mind and elimination of mis-beliefs.
Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

Sat Sri Akal.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
I like the strength in this shabad, maybe on a personal level.
I always believe and often say that we should all conquer our fears.
There should be no such thing as fear affecting us.
The only problem is that others feel you may be a little crazy and ignorant when you come across without fear and worry when all around are panicking.

Luckysingh

Writer
SPNer
Dec 3, 2011
Vancouver
Ambarsaria ji,
I found your translation much easier to follow than srigranth.org. As I liked this shabad alot, I wanted to get a real feel for it, so I had a go trying to do my word for word method.
It would be a a really nice one to do for kirtan I thought, so I felt it is important to really feel the message when trying to express it in this sense.
I haven't tried to correct any of yours or compete for clarity or anything else.
But, it's just my way, that makes it easier for a novice like me to understand and feel the essence.

ਤਪਤਿ ਮਾਹਿ ਠਾਢਿ ਵਰਤਾਈ ਅਨਦੁ ਭਇਆ ਦੁਖ ਨਾਠੇ ਭਾਈ
Ŧapaṯ māhi ṯẖādẖ varṯā▫ī. Anaḏ bẖa▫i▫ā ḏukẖ nāṯẖe bẖā▫ī.
Heated one made cooled off. Brothers, happiness prevails suffering takes flight.

This 1st line is itself so strong. It could be that 'within the heat (mahi implies inside)of a person the coolness of soul prevails. The soul is always said to be cool compared to the blood rushed body. Oh brother, calmness or serenity somes and pain runs away(naathe).

ਜਨਮ ਮਰਨ ਕੇ ਮਿਟੇ ਅੰਦੇਸੇ ਸਾਧੂ ਕੇ ਪੂਰਨ ਉਪਦੇਸੇ
Janam maran ke mite anḏese. Sāḏẖū ke pūran upḏese.
Fears of birth and death erased. Complete teaching of a pious one.
Concerns (andese) of birth and death are wiped(mitey) away. The teachings of purified or pious one are completed(puran)- or one could say the sayings of purified people are
complete.

ਭਉ ਚੂਕਾ ਨਿਰਭਉ ਹੋਇ ਬਸੇ ਸਗਲ ਬਿਆਧਿ ਮਨ ਤੇ ਖੈ ਨਸੇ
Bẖa▫o cẖūkā nirbẖa▫o ho▫e base. Sagal bi▫āḏẖ man ṯe kẖai nase.
Fear removed, live in fearlessness. All body ailments destroyed and so leave the mind.
The fear is finished(chuka) and the person lives(basey) in a state without fear(nirbha-o) or empty of fear.*next line was a little tricky, I tried breaking down single words and getting them together*
Sagal(All)
bi-adh(disease,ailments,illness)
man te (of the frame of mind) khai(destroyed,eradicated or cured may be?)
nase(make exit or leave outiside)
With this breaking down, I got-
-It destroys all of the diseases in a persons frame of mind and orders them out to leave.-

ਜਿਸ ਕਾ ਸਾ ਤਿਨਿ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਧਾਰੀ ਸਾਧਸੰਗਿ ਜਪਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਮੁਰਾਰੀ
Jis kā sā ṯin kirpā ḏẖārī. Sāḏẖsang jap nām murārī.
One who one is from, such has shown favor. In the company of the pious singing understanding of the creator.
I think your translation was more clear than srigranth.org-
I think it could apply to 'the soul which is from the one, has shown such favour or generousity(kirpa)

ਥਿਤਿ ਪਾਈ ਚੂਕੇ ਭ੍ਰਮ ਗਵਨ ਸੁਨਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਸੁ ਸ੍ਰਵਨ ੭॥
Thiṯ pā▫ī cẖūke bẖaram gavan. Sun Nānak har har jas sarvan. ||7||
Tranquility comes misconceptions and wandering ends. Nanak, when listened to the praising of creator and only creator’s virtues.
It reaches it's level of stability or permanent resting(thit pa-i) and the wandering(gavan) in doubts(bharam) is absent or reduced(chuke). Nanak , listening to the repeated praises or listening repeatedly wth pure creator and appreciating its recalling(sarvan)

It's amazing, as there is so much said in so little words, that we could go on and on trying to get more clarity here.

Waheguru
Lucky Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM