Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Sukhmani Sahib Astpadi 1 Sabad 8 / ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਅਸਟਪਦੀ ੧ ਸਬਦ ੮

Discussion in 'Sukhmani Sahib' started by Ambarsaria, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Ambarsaria

Ambarsaria Canada
    Expand Collapse
    ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
    Writer SPNer Contributor Supporter

ਗਉੜੀ ਸੁਖਮਨੀ ਮਃ
    Ga▫oṛī sukẖmanī mėhlā 5.
    Guru Arjun Dev ji in Raag Gaurhi “Sukhmani”, bliss to mind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
    Har simran kar bẖagaṯ pargatā▫e. Har simran lag beḏ upā▫e.
    Through understanding of the creator, the devotees are exalted. Through understanding of the creator, the books of wisdom come about
    Har simran bẖa▫e siḏẖ jaṯī ḏāṯe. Har simran nīcẖ cẖahu kunt jāṯe.
    Through understanding of the creator, people became wise, controllers of their bodies and benevolent. Through understanding of the creator, even the down trodden become well respected everywhere.
    Har simran ḏẖārī sabẖ ḏẖarnā. Simar simar har kāran karnā.
    The wisdom of the creator has created and is in support of all worldly creation, Always but always try to understand the creator of the creation.
    Har simran kī▫o sagal akārā. Har simran mėh āp nirankārā.
    The creator created all creation for such a consonance. The creator resides among the understanding seekers of creator
    Kar kirpā jis āp bujẖā▫i▫ā. Nānak gurmukẖ har simran ṯin pā▫i▫ā. ||8||1||
    The blessings of the creator leads to creator’s understanding. Guru Nanak, such pious people have attained the understanding of the creator.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
    Please note all errors are mine and I stand corrected.

I can craft an essence of the complete first Astpadi if it is desirable. Please let me know.

Sat Sri Akal.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
    #1 Ambarsaria, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2011
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    General Feeling sleepy during Sukhmani Sahib . Hard Talk Jun 8, 2015
    Sukhmani Sahib:12th Ashtapadee: Shaloka that precedes it Sukhmani Sahib Oct 19, 2013
    The Sukhmani Sahib Experience Sukhmani Sahib Aug 31, 2013
    Sukhmani Sahib:11th Ashtapadee:6th Pauri:My understanding Sukhmani Sahib Apr 15, 2013
    Sukhmani Sahib:11th Ashtapadee:5th Pauri:My understanding Sukhmani Sahib Sep 25, 2012

3. japjisahib04

japjisahib04 Kuwait
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor SPNer Contributor

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ਹਰਿ ਸਿਮਰਨੁ ਕਰਿ ਭਗਤ ਪ੍ਰਗਟਾਏ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਸਿਮਰਨਿ ਲਗਿ ਬੇਦ ਉਪਾਏ ॥
    Har simran kar bẖagaṯ pargatā▫e. Har simran lag beḏ upā▫e.
    Through understanding of the creator, the devotees are exalted. Through understanding of the creator, the books of wisdom come about

S. Ambarsari Ji

Would appreciate if you kindly define who is bhagat in this salok? Is bhagat in me or outside.

Best regards
    Mohinder Singh Sahni

4. Ambarsaria

Ambarsaria Canada
    Expand Collapse
    ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār

Veer ji the Bhagat is one doing the "ਹਰਿ ਸਿਮਰਨੁ ਕਰਿ".

If you click on Bhagat ਭਗਤ one get the following where I generally then search in the context of Shabad from options in Mahan Kosh generally but don't ignore other information either. In this case one gets the following,
    Let me know if it appropriate or other ideas for change, correction or improvement.

Sat Sri Akal.

5. japjisahib04

japjisahib04 Kuwait
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor SPNer Contributor

I can understand but logically I was wondering how does it make sense when sukhmani is referring to myself as a first person.

Mohinder Singh Sahni

6. Ambarsaria

Ambarsaria Canada
    Expand Collapse
    ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār

Veer ji thanks for your post.

When I read Gurbani for this purpose I read it as Guru ji would be reciting to self. So it is not addressed to anyone that way. So when I read, I read as such just like poetry. When it comes to reflect and translate there are two choices that I understand,

1. Translate as is

• So this is like if they wanted to make prose of the poetry will do
    2. The second style is message or lesson based where one reads and says what is it telling me,

• This style will generally work like,
      • Guru ji says "Sikh, if you do ਹਰਿ ਸਿਮਰਨੁ you will becomes or be enlightened and become a recognized bhagat".
    I am working in style 1 above. This works for me as one's mind starts to slowly think like the writer versus Teacher - Student mode which causes one to understand much and at times also makes one to forget a lot. At least this is how it works with me.

Let me know if there are errors or additional comments.

Sat Sri Akal.

7. Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh United States
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

My 2 cent worth:

Guru Sahib is elevating the spiritual stage of a Sikh, which is by understanding the message and putting it into practice, one sprouts like a lotus from the muck. In other words, one becomes a Bhagat. Once one's spiritual status is elevated due to the knowledge and understanding, then one can understand other religious books and challenge them if they are not up to par which Guru Sahib elaborates in the following verses.

Tejwant Singh

• Like Like x 1