• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib - 9th Ashtapadee - 8th Pauri - My Understanding

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Khalsa Ji,
With the grace of ‘The Sat’, today I share my understanding of 8th Pauri of 9th Ashtapadee of Sukhmani Sahib with you.
Please note that the English sentence after the Transliteration is not the exact literal translation of the text of the Tuk of Siri Guru Granth Sahib under reference, it is the meaning of the tuk as understood by me.
First the Summary: In this Pauri, Guru Sahib ponders over the immenseness of ‘The Sat’ and is wonder struck by the infiniteness, which is beyond the grasp of any of us. Guru Sahib conveys to us our own finiteness and limitations with respect to ‘The Sat’
1. pwrbRhm ky sgly Twau ] paarbarahm kay saglay thaa-o.
All domains belong to ‘The Sat’

My understanding:
Guru Sahib tells us that ‘The Sat’ is everywhere and all that is; belong to ‘The Sat’. Here the word ‘Thaoo’, which means Domain or place, is used in its all encompassing meaning. It includes all the space inside and outside the entities that constitute this creation – living and non-living, in form and without form, tangible and intangible etc – all get covered in this sentence.
2. ijqu ijqu Gir rwKY qYsw iqn nwau ] jit jit ghar raakhai taisaa tin naa-o.
The domain where it is placed, it acquires its name.

My understanding:
Guru Sahib says that the entity acquires the attributes of the domain in which it is placed. If it is places in the womb of a living entity, the offspring takes its attributed of form and nature, If it is placed deep inside the earth it may become some mineral. Up in space it may become a planet. In a mountain, then it becomes a rock and so on… This way, Guru Sahib conveys to us that all is ‘One’. The name we give or the form has or and nature of its existence should not make us divide the unity of the creation of ‘The Sat’ – all is ‘One’. It is ‘The Sat’ and ‘The Sat’ only that manifest as entity in its entire creation- earth and other dimensions.
3. Awpy krn krwvn jogu ] aapay karan karaavan jog.
‘The Sat’ is the Doer and the cause behind all that happens.

My understanding:
Guru Sahib wants us to keep in mind that whatever happens, ‘The Sat’ is behind it. The external environment that helps or impedes us is doing something is also a creation of ‘The Sat’. We are nothing more than an instrument that performs its role in the whole process.
As I understand this does not mean that we can afford not to take initiatives and put in efforts in our life. ‘The Sat’ only creates a broad framework for us to complete the task. We too are instrument of ‘The Sat’; we have to exert in the right direction.
My very personal understanding, I have stated in my earlier posts, where I have said that each one of us is on this earth with a mission from ‘The Sat’. ‘The Sat’ puts difficulties on our way when we are not on the right track to accomplish our mission; ‘The Sat’ again puts obstacles, problems and worldly temptations on our way to make us overcome that and evolve to a higher level of evolution; ‘The Sat’ again helps us in our progress where the free will of others entities force impediments on the way to our progress on the path of evolution
4. pRB BwvY soeI Puin hogu ] parabh bhaavai so-ee fun hog.
Only what is in accordance with the liking of ‘The Sat’ gets realised.

My understanding:
Here, in this Pauri, Guru Sahib has used the word ‘Bhavai’ which means; what is to ones liking of the concerned entity. Here the entity is ‘The Sat’’ who is beyond the pleasure and pains or tribulation we experience in human form. It means we cannot extrapolate our nature of likings on to ‘The Sat’. What ‘The Sat’ is doing is selfless service to its creation without seeking any return from us. Thus it is my understanding that selfless service done by any human with resonate with ‘The Sat’ and thus its end result will be realised. Other worldly efforts will get entangled in the web of Maya and will fade into insignificance or will lead to end results that are remote from the intent of the effort at its start and in this way will be lost.
5. psirE Awip hoie Anq qrMg ] pasri-o aap ho-ay anat tarang.
Spread all over as an infinite wave.

My understanding:
Guru Sahib has used the phrase ‘infinite wave’ about ‘The Sat’. This tells us that ‘The Sat’ is dynamic; it has direction and full of energy. As I understand, ‘The Sat’ is all the time working for sustenance and evolution of its entire creation.
6. lKy n jwih pwrbRhm ky rMg ] lakhay na jaahi paarbarahm kay rang.The playful The attributes and aspects of ‘The Sat’ cannot be comprehended, they are infinite beyond human capabilities.

My understanding:
As I understand this Tuk, to me it appears to be a line of caution. Guru Sahib has said in the previous Tuk that ‘The Sat’ is spread like a wave. Taking that I should not start worshiping Waves as ‘The Sat’; hence in the very next tuk Guru Sahib tells me that the attributes and aspect of ‘The Sat’ are infinite and beyond my ability to comprehend and list them. ‘The sat’ is beyond my mental capabilities.
7. jYsI miq dyie qYsw prgws ] jaisee mat day-ay taisaa pargaas.
Depending on the prevailing level of the person’s current spiritual evolution, is the level of illumination from ‘The Sat’ to advance on the path of the journey on earth.

My understanding:
We use our brain to deliberate on the issues – including those related to spirituality. One advances progressively in small steps. As I understand, all the knowledge is deposited in the deeper layers of our brain which are not readily accessible to the conscious part of the brain. From these deeper layers comes the illumination from ‘The Sat’.
It is my personal experience and consequent understanding, that when I deliberate over any issue intensely and over a period of time, one fine morning as I get up from my sleep, I find the solution to the problem or a clue to the solution or the answer to the query is in my conscious brain. I do not know where from the resolution of the issue has come from. It is my hypothesis that as I deliberate over the issue, it percolates down to the deeper layers of the brain, which know all as ‘The Sat’ resides there. Personally, I take this answer as the response from ‘The Sat’. This response from ‘The Sat’ is what I can make meaning of, it is at the level of my understanding. It is also my very personal understanding that when over a period of time, with effort, when one is able to establish fully functional link between the conscious part of the brain and the deeper layer, that is what I understand as opening of the ‘Dasamdwar’ (The tenth door or opening)
This is the basis of my understanding that depending on the current level of understanding, ‘The Sat’, illuminate the path for my further progress.
8. pwrbRhmu krqw Aibnws ] paarbarahm kartaa abinaas.
‘The Sat’ is the doer all the time; it ‘The Sat’ cannot be destroyed or dissolved; it is beyond ‘Time’.

My understanding:
Again, this tuk too is a word of caution for me. I should not start thinking that the response that had come to my conscious brain, as explained above, is my own. Guru Sahib says it is from ‘The Sat’, I am not the originator. This arrogance of thinking that I have authored the solution should not come in me. Guru Sahib has cautioned me in this tuk against such pitfall.
Guru Sahib also says that ‘The Sat’ is beyond time. The limitation of time does not apply to ‘The Sat’. ‘The Sat’ is timeless and thus is ever present.

9. sdw sdw sdw dieAwl ] sadaa sadaa sadaa da-i-aal.
‘The Sat’ is always with us and is very considerate, generous and helpful.

My understanding:
In our journey on this earth we are never alone. Through the deeper layers of our brain, ‘The Sat’ keeps on cautioning and guiding us. It is we who, do not listen. As I understand, in our journey in our life on earth. ‘The Sat’ creates difficulties, so that we evolve further and overcome them. Sometimes ‘The Sat’ just blocks our progress; this I understand, happens when we move away from our mission of life. This in my understanding ‘The Sat’ does to succeed in this life as human being. It is my personal experience that when I am on spiritual path, new information, which helps me to improve and evolve, comes my way without asking; I take this as a gift from ‘The Sat’ I know ‘The Sat’ is always with me; I do not get what I am not entitled in this life.
10. ismir ismir nwnk Bey inhwl ]8]9] simar simar naanak bha-ay nihaal. ||8||9||
contemplating about ‘The Sat’ (including Jaap) with mindfulness, Nanak feels the blissful ecstasy.

My understanding:
As I understand, the state of functioning of brain and the resulting mind changes depending of what is driving the brain – anger, appreciation, sex, compassion, love etc . The more intense is the involvement of the brain with the object of contemplation the higher is the experience of that state. When the person is contemplating on ‘The Sat’ with single mindedness and mindfulness, the bliss that descends on the person is pure and great and very soothing. It is this feeling that Guru Sahib is telling us in this Tuk.
With this I close the post.
With love and respect for all.
Amarpal Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: