• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sukhmani Sahib:6th Astapadee:7th Pauri:My Understanding

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Khalsa Ji,
I share with you all, my understanding of the 7th Pauri of 6th Ashtapadee of Sukhmani Sahib.

Please note that the English sentence after the Transliteration is not the exact literal translation of the sentence, it is the meaning of the tuk as understood by me.

First the summary: In this Pauri too Guru Sahib stress the enormity of the role played by ‘The Sat’ in making the individual what she or he is; based on this understanding Guru Sahib asks us to remember ‘The Sat’ all the time.

1. ijh pRswid qUM pRgtu sMswir ] jih parsaad tooN pargat sansaar.
By whose grace you appear in this world.

2. iqsu pRB kau mUil n mnhu ibswir ] tis parabh ka-o mool na manhu bisaar.
Never forget such ‘Sat’ who is your source.

My understanding:
Guru Sahib points out to us that we came to this world because of the grace of ‘The Sat’. What we are is also as a result of the grace of ‘The Sat’. This way ‘The Sat is our source, our live have ‘The Sat’ at its origin. We must have a feeling of deep gratitude towards ‘The Sat’ and should never let the remembrance to fade from our mind.

3. ijh pRswid qyrw prqwpu ] jih parsaad tayraa partaap.
By whose grace you have benign influence on entities beyond you.

4. ry mn mUV qU qw kau jwpu ] ray man moorh too taa ka-o jaap.
O foolish mind, all the time remain linked to ‘The Sat’

My understanding:
Guru Sahib tells us that the positive impact of you personality beyond yourself is because of the grace of ‘The Sat’ who has molded your being in a manner that gives you the positive traits that you have which are valued by people.
Not to recognize this gift from ‘The Sat’ will be a fooling thing to do. Guru Sahib asks us to always remain linked to ‘The Sat’ and remember that all what we are is because of ‘the Sat’

5. ijh pRswid qyry kwrj pUry ] jih parsaad tayray kaaraj pooray.
By whose grace your works get completed

6. iqsih jwnu mn sdw hjUry ] tiseh jaan man sadaa hajooray.
O mind always live in the presence of ‘The Sat’

My understanding:
In any task that we perform there are factors that remain out of our control; even our own sickness can adversely affect the outcome of the task we are in the process of performing. Many have to co-operate to make it a success. For these parameters to align favorably for the person engaged in the task, the grace of ‘The Sat’ is needed. Guru Sahib is telling us that this fact should never be lost sight of and the our brain should function in accordance with teachings of Siri Guru Granth Sahib and this way always be serving ‘The Sat’.

7. ijh pRswid qUM pwvih swcu ] jih parsaad tooN paavahi saach.
By whose grace you are able to reach the truth.

8. ry mn myry qUM qw isau rwcu ] ray man mayray tooN taa si-o raach.
O my mind become one with ‘The Sat’.

My understanding:
Guru Sahib clearly says that it is with the grace of ‘The Sat’ that one reaches the truth; this is what Gurparsadee means. Guru Sahib addressing his own mind and by implications tells us to remain imbued with the remembrance of ‘The Sat’.

9. ijh pRswid sB kI giq hoie ] jih parsaad sabh kee gat ho-ay.
By whose grace every one reaches a state of being

10 nwnk jwpu jpY jpu soie ]7] naanak jaap japai jap so-ay. ||7||
O Nanak keep uttering the symbolic vocal sound that conveys the remembrance of ‘The Sat’.

My understanding:
Guru Sahib says that what we become in this human life and reach an evolved state of being is due to the grace of ‘The Sat’. To align oneself with ‘The Sat’, Guru Sahib tells himself and to us that practice Jaap; it helps install the remembrance of ‘The Sat’ in the functioning brain. As I understand, such a functioning brain enhances one’s sensitivity to ‘The Sat’ and helps in the ultimate realization that all is because of ‘The Sat’.

With this I close the post

With love and respect for all

Amarpal Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM