• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Suit Against New Nanakshahi Calendar

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Suit against new Nanakshahi calendar - Chandigarh - City - The Times of India Suit against new Nanakshahi calendar

TNN, 13 January 2010 -THE TIMES OF INDIA

CHANDIGARH: A civil suit seeking restraint on the implementation of new Nanakshahi calendar was filed in city’s district court by Harmohinder Singh, convener, Punjab unit, Shiromani Akali Dal, Delhi, on Tuesday here.

The suit was filed seeking permanent injunction restraining Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) and its members from implementing new Nanakshahi calendar as decided in January 3 meeting, until a calendar is decided by the Sikh community. The suit added that directions be issued to the SGPC and its members to prevent it from interfering in decisions of religious interpretations, practices and assuming the role of religious authority in contravention of the constitution.

According to suit, Pal Singh Purewal, a Canadian and renowned Sikh scholar, drafted calendar after consulting various scholars, jurists and members of various Sikh bodies. This calendar was accepted by Sikh community worldwide and was implemented in year 2003. However, recently SGPC constituted a body to determine calendar for Sikh religious holy days with a direction for all Sikhs to observe these and celebrate or commemorate them.

The committee set up by SGPC lacks competence in field of both calendars and religious dates. It lacks legal authority to deliberate on such matters, the plaint claimed.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Soul_Jyot ji

One of several important points made in this article -- and alas forgotten in many threads of recent date -- is that SGPC does not have, under the Indian Constitution, the authority to delve and decide on matters of religious interpretation. Its authority concerns the management of historical gurdwaras (initially) and later the administration of a larger number of local gurdwaras in specific areas of northern/western India, including Punjab, Patiala, and several other states. Intelligent move by the Delhi group.

japjisahib04

Mentor
SPNer
Jan 22, 2005
kuwait
Though I hate our religious matters are discussed in Courts, but I concur this is the only way to stop this nuisance.Hope the matter gets resolved before both side waste unnecessary Sanghat fundsin litigation.

Best regards

Odion

SPNer
Aug 21, 2009
Not to sound ignorant, but I have heard about this for about a little while now and I still have no idea what's going on or what is being debated.. ::cool:2:

I know what the Nanakshahi calendar is, but not what the debate is about, so, could someone please explain a little more for me, what would be different from the old Nanakshahi calendar, why is it being stopped from being implemented, and what's wrong with the old one that some people want this new one? :)

Odion

SPNer
Aug 21, 2009
Thank you for the information Narayanjot Kaur ji.

I believe that this argument is not good for the sangat and so I hope it can be resolved quickly. I suppose I can see both sides of the argument, but I have no opinion on it. :D

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM