• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Suchajee & Kuchajee

singhbj

SPNer
Nov 4, 2007
Suchajee and Kuchajee are the names given by Guru Nanak Dev ji to two types of "women" or Jeev aatma. These names appear in the ragabanis (the raga section) of Guru Granth Sahib jeeo. The word "Suchajee" means a capable and skilful woman or bride while "kuchajee" is the opposite. This composition is in Raga Suhi. In this sacred script the Guru Sahib ji tells the world the difference between a noble and good womenand a bad and ignoble women. In these banis "woman" is a reference to the soul of all human beings not just that of a woman! Gurbani which start at Ang 762 tell us how to become noble brides of God and not to fall into the trap of worldly entanglements and waste this marriage (life).

First SatGuru wrote kuchajee bani and then suchajee bani so as to tell how an ignoble soul can become a noble soul. The noble soul is always honoured in God's house. The ignoble soul and noble soul both are provided every happiness in life but the noble soul never forgets the true Lord and the ignoble soul will fall into the well of attachment with worldly things. Both banis are written in Raag Suhi. The suchajee or Graceful soul always try to find the true Lord but the kuchajee or ungraceful soul does not.

The ungraceful brides (male & female) (of the Lord) fall in all Kukarams (bad habits): drinking wine, unstoppable gambling, incessant fashion commitment, excessive decorations, lazyness, etc., etc. The kuchajee soul is not considered a Sikh. Suchajee soul is also a Gunvanti (virtuous) soul. Gunvanti Bani was written by Guru Arjan Dev ji after these two banis. If a soul is suchajee then he/she can be gunvanti.

Suchajee
Suchajee or Suchaji is a poetry which is part of raag bani. Suchajee means a noble and graceful bride. Here the Guru Sahib ji treats Lord as husband and human as his bride who is graceful (i.e not kuchajee). Gurbani shows the attitude of Noble & Graceful women towards their husband, i.e Lord.

ਰਾਗੁ ਸੂਹੀ ਮਹਲਾ ਕੁਚਜੀ

Raag Soohee, First Mehl, Kuchajee ~ The Ungraceful Bride:

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰਸਾਦਿ

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

ਮੰਞੁ ਕੁਚਜੀ ਅੰਮਾਵਣਿ ਡੋਸੜੇ ਹਉ ਕਿਉ ਸਹੁ ਰਾਵਣਿ ਜਾਉ ਜੀਉ

I am ungraceful and ill-mannered, full of endless faults. How can I go to enjoy my Husband Lord?

ਇਕ ਦੂ ਇਕਿ ਚੜੰਦੀਆ ਕਉਣੁ ਜਾਣੈ ਮੇਰਾ ਨਾਉ ਜੀਉ
Each of His soul-brides is better than the rest - who even knows my name?

ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੀ ਸਖੀ ਸਹੁ ਰਾਵਿਆ ਸੇ ਅੰਬੀ ਛਾਵੜੀਏਹਿ ਜੀਉ

Those brides who enjoy their Husband Lord are very blessed, resting in the shade of the mango tree.

ਸੇ ਗੁਣ ਮੰਞੁ ਆਵਨੀ ਹਉ ਕੈ ਜੀ ਦੋਸ ਧਰੇਉ ਜੀਉ

I do not have their virtue - who can I blame for this?

ਕਿਆ ਗੁਣ ਤੇਰੇ ਵਿਥਰਾ ਹਉ ਕਿਆ ਕਿਆ ਘਿਨਾ ਤੇਰਾ ਨਾਉ ਜੀਉ

Which of Your Virtues, O Lord, should I speak of? Which of Your Names should I chant?

ਇਕਤੁ ਟੋਲਿ ਅੰਬੜਾ ਹਉ ਸਦ ਕੁਰਬਾਣੈ ਤੇਰੈ ਜਾਉ ਜੀਉ

I cannot even reach one of Your Virtues. I am forever a sacrifice to You.

ਸੁਇਨਾ ਰੁਪਾ ਰੰਗੁਲਾ ਮੋਤੀ ਤੈ ਮਾਣਿਕੁ ਜੀਉ

Gold, silver, pearls and rubies are pleasing.

ਸੇ ਵਸਤੂ ਸਹਿ ਦਿਤੀਆ ਮੈ ਤਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਸਿਉ ਲਾਇਆ ਚਿਤੁ ਜੀਉ

My Husband Lord has blessed me with these things, and I have focused my thoughts on them.

ਮੰਦਰ ਮਿਟੀ ਸੰਦੜੇ ਪਥਰ ਕੀਤੇ ਰਾਸਿ ਜੀਉ

Palaces of brick and mud are built and decorated with stones;

ਹਉ ਏਨੀ ਟੋਲੀ ਭੁਲੀਅਸੁ ਤਿਸੁ ਕੰਤ ਬੈਠੀ ਪਾਸਿ ਜੀਉ

I have been fooled by these decorations, and I do not sit near my Husband Lord.

ਅੰਬਰਿ ਕੂੰਜਾ ਕੁਰਲੀਆ ਬਗ ਬਹਿਠੇ ਆਇ ਜੀਉ

The cranes shriek overhead in the sky, and the herons have come to rest.

ਸਾ ਧਨ ਚਲੀ ਸਾਹੁਰੈ ਕਿਆ ਮੁਹੁ ਦੇਸੀ ਅਗੈ ਜਾਇ ਜੀਉ

The bride has gone to her father-in-law's house; in the world hereafter, what face will she show?

ਸੁਤੀ ਸੁਤੀ ਝਾਲੁ ਥੀਆ ਭੁਲੀ ਵਾਟੜੀਆਸੁ ਜੀਉ

She kept sleeping as the day dawned; she forgot all about her journey.

ਤੈ ਸਹ ਨਾਲਹੁ ਮੁਤੀਅਸੁ ਦੁਖਾ ਕੂੰ ਧਰੀਆਸੁ ਜੀਉ

She separated herself from her Husband Lord, and now she suffers in pain.

ਤੁਧੁ ਗੁਣ ਮੈ ਸਭਿ ਅਵਗਣਾ ਇਕ ਨਾਨਕ ਕੀ ਅਰਦਾਸਿ ਜੀਉ

Virtue is in You, O Lord; I am totally without virtue. This is Nanak's only prayer:

ਸਭਿ ਰਾਤੀ ਸੋਹਾਗਣੀ ਮੈ ਡੋਹਾਗਣਿ ਕਾਈ ਰਾਤਿ ਜੀਉ ॥੧॥

You give all Your nights to the virtuous soul-brides. I know I am unworthy, but isn't there a night for me as well? ||1||

Source:
http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.g...id=32694#l32694

Kuchajee
Kuchajee or Kuchaji is a part of raag bani. Kuchajee means a ignoble & ungraceful bride. Here SatGuru refers to Waheguru as husband and humans as God's 'bride'. Gurbani has nothing to do a wife being obedient and submitting to the wishes of her 'Lord" husband on earth. In Sikhi a marriage is an equal partnership based on freedom and respect. This bani shows the attitude of ignoble & ungraceful humans towards their husband, i.e the Lord/Waheguru. Gold, silver, pearls and rubies are the important things to a Kuchajee Bride (Guru Nanak Dev ji refers to himself as the Bride).

ਸੂਹੀ ਮਹਲਾ ਸੁਚਜੀ

Soohee, First Mehl, Suchajee ~ The Noble And Graceful Bride:

ਜਾ ਤੂ ਤਾ ਮੈ ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਤੂ ਸਾਹਿਬੁ ਮੇਰੀ ਰਾਸਿ ਜੀਉ

When I have You, then I have everything. O my Lord and Master, You are my wealth and capital.

ਤੁਧੁ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਹਉ ਸੁਖਿ ਵਸਾ ਤੂੰ ਅੰਤਰਿ ਸਾਬਾਸਿ ਜੀਉ

Within You, I abide in peace; within You, I am congratulated.

ਭਾਣੈ ਤਖਤਿ ਵਡਾਈਆ ਭਾਣੈ ਭੀਖ ਉਦਾਸਿ ਜੀਉ

By the Pleasure of Your Will, You bestow thrones and greatness. And by the Pleasure of Your Will, You make us beggars and wanderers.

ਭਾਣੈ ਥਲ ਸਿਰਿ ਸਰੁ ਵਹੈ ਕਮਲੁ ਫੁਲੈ ਆਕਾਸਿ ਜੀਉ

By the Pleasure of Your Will, the ocean flows in the desert, and the lotus blossoms in the sky.

ਭਾਣੈ ਭਵਜਲੁ ਲੰਘੀਐ ਭਾਣੈ ਮੰਝਿ ਭਰੀਆਸਿ ਜੀਉ

By the Pleasure of Your Will, one crosses over the terrifying world-ocean; by the Pleasure of Your Will, he sinks down into it.

ਭਾਣੈ ਸੋ ਸਹੁ ਰੰਗੁਲਾ ਸਿਫਤਿ ਰਤਾ ਗੁਣਤਾਸਿ ਜੀਉ

By the Pleasure of His Will, that Lord becomes my Husband, and I am imbued with the Praises of the Lord, the treasure of virtue.

ਭਾਣੈ ਸਹੁ ਭੀਹਾਵਲਾ ਹਉ ਆਵਣਿ ਜਾਣਿ ਮੁਈਆਸਿ ਜੀਉ

By the Pleasure of Your Will, O my Husband Lord, I am afraid of You, and I come and go, and die.

ਤੂ ਸਹੁ ਅਗਮੁ ਅਤੋਲਵਾ ਹਉ ਕਹਿ ਕਹਿ ਢਹਿ ਪਈਆਸਿ ਜੀਉ

You, O my Husband Lord, are inaccessible and immeasurable; talking and speaking of You, I have fallen at Your Feet.

ਕਿਆ ਮਾਗਉ ਕਿਆ ਕਹਿ ਸੁਣੀ ਮੈ ਦਰਸਨ ਭੂਖ ਪਿਆਸਿ ਜੀਉ

What should I beg for? What should I say and hear? I am hungry and thirsty for the Blessed Vision of Your Darshan.

ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦੀ ਸਹੁ ਪਾਇਆ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਕੀ ਅਰਦਾਸਿ ਜੀਉ ॥੨॥

Through the Word of the Guru's Teachings, I have found my Husband Lord. This is Nanak's true prayer. ||2||

Source:
http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.g...id=32694#l32694

Gunvanti
Gurbani describes the worthy and virtuous bride.

ਸੂਹੀ ਮਹਲਾ ਗੁਣਵੰਤੀ

Soohee, Fifth Mehl, Gunvantee ~ The Worthy And Virtuous Bride:

ਜੋ ਦੀਸੈ ਗੁਰਸਿਖੜਾ ਤਿਸੁ ਨਿਵਿ ਨਿਵਿ ਲਾਗਉ ਪਾਇ ਜੀਉ

When I see a Sikh of the Guru, I humbly bow and fall at his feet.

ਆਖਾ ਬਿਰਥਾ ਜੀਅ ਕੀ ਗੁਰੁ ਸਜਣੁ ਦੇਹਿ ਮਿਲਾਇ ਜੀਉ

I tell to him the pain of my soul, and beg him to unite me with the Guru, my Best Friend.

ਸੋਈ ਦਸਿ ਉਪਦੇਸੜਾ ਮੇਰਾ ਮਨੁ ਅਨਤ ਕਾਹੂ ਜਾਇ ਜੀਉ

I ask that he impart to me such an understanding, that my mind will not go out wandering anywhere else.

ਇਹੁ ਮਨੁ ਤੈ ਕੂੰ ਡੇਵਸਾ ਮੈ ਮਾਰਗੁ ਦੇਹੁ ਬਤਾਇ ਜੀਉ

I dedicate this mind to you. Please, show me the Path to God.

ਹਉ ਆਇਆ ਦੂਰਹੁ ਚਲਿ ਕੈ ਮੈ ਤਕੀ ਤਉ ਸਰਣਾਇ ਜੀਉ

I have come so far, seeking the Protection of Your Sanctuary.

ਮੈ ਆਸਾ ਰਖੀ ਚਿਤਿ ਮਹਿ ਮੇਰਾ ਸਭੋ ਦੁਖੁ ਗਵਾਇ ਜੀਉ

Within my mind, I place my hopes in You; please, take my pain and suffering away!

ਇਤੁ ਮਾਰਗਿ ਚਲੇ ਭਾਈਅੜੇ ਗੁਰੁ ਕਹੈ ਸੁ ਕਾਰ ਕਮਾਇ ਜੀਉ

So walk on this Path, O sister soul-brides; do that work which the Guru tells you to do.

ਤਿਆਗੇਂ ਮਨ ਕੀ ਮਤੜੀ ਵਿਸਾਰੇਂ ਦੂਜਾ ਭਾਉ ਜੀਉ

Abandon the intellectual pursuits of the mind, and forget the love of duality.

ਇਉ ਪਾਵਹਿ ਹਰਿ ਦਰਸਾਵੜਾ ਨਹ ਲਗੈ ਤਤੀ ਵਾਉ ਜੀਉ

In this way, you shall obtain the Blessed Vision of the Lord's Darshan; the hot winds shall not even touch you.

ਹਉ ਆਪਹੁ ਬੋਲਿ ਜਾਣਦਾ ਮੈ ਕਹਿਆ ਸਭੁ ਹੁਕਮਾਉ ਜੀਉ

By myself, I do not even know how to speak; I speak all that the Lord commands.

ਹਰਿ ਭਗਤਿ ਖਜਾਨਾ ਬਖਸਿਆ ਗੁਰਿ ਨਾਨਕਿ ਕੀਆ ਪਸਾਉ ਜੀਉ

I am blessed with the treasure of the Lord's devotional worship; Guru Nanak has been kind and compassionate to me.

ਮੈ ਬਹੁੜਿ ਤ੍ਰਿਸਨਾ ਭੁਖੜੀ ਹਉ ਰਜਾ ਤ੍ਰਿਪਤਿ ਅਘਾਇ ਜੀਉ

I shall never again feel hunger or thirst; I am satisfied, satiated and fulfilled.

ਜੋ ਗੁਰ ਦੀਸੈ ਸਿਖੜਾ ਤਿਸੁ ਨਿਵਿ ਨਿਵਿ ਲਾਗਉ ਪਾਇ ਜੀਉ ॥੩॥

When I see a Sikh of the Guru, I humbly bow and fall at his feet. ||3||

Source: http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.g...amp;p=0&k=0

Main Source of the article :
http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Suchajee_%26_Kuchajee

Suchajeekuchajee.jpg

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM