• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Stop Disrespecting Satguru Nanak

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Jios and Baghat ji,

But The Wanderer is speaking the truth!

If The True One Himself is All, then All is He Himself. All is He Himself. It is a matter of finding that truth within. It didn't go anywhere. It is just hard to see because we are looking in the wrong direction.

And....Naanak didn't leave us either... He is still here.:)
Aad Ji I think, my name is getting hard for you to spell, even though it is written in every post of mine, so I'll give you a simpler version of the name, Bhagat... too bad there isnt any. Hehe :D

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
No ji!

Nothing will help. Spelling is an area of personal disability. I read and write in more than one language. My spelling is simply atrocious in all languages. I will try harder.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
isn't God without malice?

so what is the point of dis respect?

this is the ego of the so called seekers which is getting hurt...

ਗਉੜੀ
गउड़ी ॥
Ga­oṛī.
Gauree:

ਨਿੰਦਉ ਨਿੰਦਉ ਮੋ ਕਉ ਲੋਗੁ ਨਿੰਦਉ
निंदउ निंदउ मो कउ लोगु निंदउ ॥
Ninḏa­o ninḏa­o mo ka­o log ninḏa­o.
Slander me, slander me - go ahead, people, and slander me.

ਨਿੰਦਾ ਜਨ ਕਉ ਖਰੀ ਪਿਆਰੀ
निंदा जन कउ खरी पिआरी ॥
Ninḏā jan ka­o kẖarī pi­ārī.
Slander is pleasing to the Lord's humble servant.

ਨਿੰਦਾ ਬਾਪੁ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਮਹਤਾਰੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ
निंदा बापु निंदा महतारी ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Ninḏā bāp ninḏā mehṯārī. ||1|| rahā­o.
Slander is my father, slander is my mother. ||1||Pause||

ਨਿੰਦਾ ਹੋਇ ਬੈਕੁੰਠਿ ਜਾਈਐ
निंदा होइ त बैकुंठि जाईऐ ॥
Ninḏā ho­ė ṯa baikunṯẖ jā­ī­ai.
If I am slandered, I go to heaven;

ਨਾਮੁ ਪਦਾਰਥੁ ਮਨਹਿ ਬਸਾਈਐ
नामु पदारथु मनहि बसाईऐ ॥
Nām paḏārath maneh basā­ī­ai.
the wealth of the Naam, the Name of the Lord, abides within my mind.

ਰਿਦੈ ਸੁਧ ਜਉ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਹੋਇ
रिदै सुध जउ निंदा होइ ॥
Riḏai suḏẖ ja­o ninḏā ho­ė.
If my heart is pure, and I am slandered,

ਹਮਰੇ ਕਪਰੇ ਨਿੰਦਕੁ ਧੋਇ ॥੧॥
हमरे कपरे निंदकु धोइ ॥१॥
Hamrė kaprė ninḏak ḏẖo­ė. ||1||
then the slanderer washes my clothes. ||1||

ਨਿੰਦਾ ਕਰੈ ਸੁ ਹਮਰਾ ਮੀਤੁ
निंदा करै सु हमरा मीतु ॥
Ninḏā karai so hamrā mīṯ.
One who slanders me is my friend;

ਨਿੰਦਕ ਮਾਹਿ ਹਮਾਰਾ ਚੀਤੁ
निंदक माहि हमारा चीतु ॥
Ninḏak māhi hamārā cẖīṯ.
the slanderer is in my thoughts.

ਨਿੰਦਕੁ ਸੋ ਜੋ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਹੋਰੈ
निंदकु सो जो निंदा होरै ॥
Ninḏak so jo ninḏā horai.
The slanderer is the one who prevents me from being slandered.

ਹਮਰਾ ਜੀਵਨੁ ਨਿੰਦਕੁ ਲੋਰੈ ॥੨॥
हमरा जीवनु निंदकु लोरै ॥२॥
Hamrā jīvan ninḏak lorai. ||2||
The slanderer wishes me long life. ||2||

ਨਿੰਦਾ ਹਮਰੀ ਪ੍ਰੇਮ ਪਿਆਰੁ
निंदा हमरी प्रेम पिआरु ॥
Ninḏā hamrī parėm pi­ār.
I have love and affection for the slanderer.

ਨਿੰਦਾ ਹਮਰਾ ਕਰੈ ਉਧਾਰੁ
निंदा हमरा करै उधारु ॥
Ninḏā hamrā karai uḏẖār.
Slander is my salvation.

ਜਨ ਕਬੀਰ ਕਉ ਨਿੰਦਾ ਸਾਰੁ
जन कबीर कउ निंदा सारु ॥
Jan Kabīr ka­o ninḏā sār.
Slander is the best thing for servant Kabeer.

ਨਿੰਦਕੁ ਡੂਬਾ ਹਮ ਉਤਰੇ ਪਾਰਿ ॥੩॥੨੦॥੭੧॥
निंदकु डूबा हम उतरे पारि ॥३॥२०॥७१॥
Ninḏak dūbā ham uṯrė pār. ||3||20||71||
The slanderer is drowned, while I am carried across. ||3||20||71||

Last edited by a moderator:

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Three Basic Interpretations

Without going too deep into the different levels of meanings of each tradition, a subject far beyond the scope of an article or even a single book, we can say that every scripture and revealed writing has at least three different levels of reading: 1) a literal reading, 2) a symbolical reading, and 3) a metaphorical reading, corresponding respectively to a life centered around 1) mind and ego, 2) subconscious mind and, or 3) illumined intellect and soul.
Whatever the level of understanding of the reader, he will gain some knowledge which he can immediately utilize in his life. In addition, the regular study of this material will develop his intellect and grant him access to deeper and deeper levels of meanings.

(Source : Unknown)

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
I came across these lines.
Will someone be kind enough to explain the meaning.?

nw ko piVAw pMifqu bInw nw ko mUrKu mMdw ] (359-17, Awsw, mÚ 1)
By himself, no one is literate, learned or wise; no one is ignorant or evil.

soeI Ajwxu khY mY jwnw jwnxhwru n Cwnw ry ] (382-1, Awsw, mÚ 5)
One who claims to know, is ignorant; he does not know the Knower of all.​

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Guru sahib tells us that he has seen The Lord. There is no metaphor in this line. May be someone be kind to explain the meaning.

khu nwnk hir isau mnu mwinAw so pRBu nYxI fITw ]1] (452-13, Awsw, mÚ 5)
Says Nanak, my mind is in harmony with the Lord; I have seen God with my eyes. ||1||

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Evad ucha hovey koye,
tis uche ko jaane soye.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
We been told by Guru Ji several times that there is no difference between Guru and God, Guru God and Disciple and all. Guru Ji never ever said that -THERE IS ANY DIFFERENCE AT ALL!
Following is one out of the many beautiful verses where we are told:

Nanak Bani Nirankaar Paarbrahm Parmesar
Waho Waho Bani Nirankaar Hai Tis Jevad Avar Na Koi
ANG 77
SGGS JI
SATGURU PRASAAD

ਚਉਥੈ ਪਹਰੈ ਰੈਣਿ ਕੈ ਵਣਜਾਰਿਆ ਮਿਤ੍ਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਚਲਣ ਵੇਲਾ ਆਦੀ ॥
chouthhai peharai rain kai vanajaariaa mithraa har chalan vaelaa aadhee ||
In the fourth watch of the night, O my merchant friend, the Lord announces the time of departure.

ਕਰਿ ਸੇਵਹੁ ਪੂਰਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਵਣਜਾਰਿਆ ਮਿਤ੍ਰਾ ਸਭ ਚਲੀ ਰੈਣਿ ਵਿਹਾਦੀ ॥
kar saevahu pooraa sathiguroo vanajaariaa mithraa sabh chalee rain vihaadhee ||
Serve the Perfect True Guru, O my merchant friend; your entire life-night is passing away.

ਹਰਿ ਸੇਵਹੁ ਖਿਨੁ ਖਿਨੁ ਢਿਲ ਮੂਲਿ ਨ ਕਰਿਹੁ ਜਿਤੁ ਅਸਥਿਰੁ ਜੁਗੁ ਜੁਗੁ ਹੋਵਹੁ ॥
har saevahu khin khin dtil mool n karihu jith asathhir jug jug hovahu ||
Serve the Lord each and every instant-do not delay! You shall become eternal throughout the ages.

ਹਰਿ ਸੇਤੀ ਸਦ ਮਾਣਹੁ ਰਲੀਆ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਣ ਦੁਖ ਖੋਵਹੁ ॥
har saethee sadh maanahu raleeaa janam maran dhukh khovahu ||
Enjoy ecstasy forever with the Lord, and do away with the pains of birth and death.

ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਭੇਦੁ ਨ ਜਾਣਹੁ ਜਿਤੁ ਮਿਲਿ ਹਰਿ ਭਗਤਿ ਸੁਖਾਂਦੀ ॥
gur sathigur suaamee bhaedh n jaanahu jith mil har bhagath sukhaandhee ||
Know that there is no difference between the Guru, the True Guru, and your Lord and Master. Meeting with Him, take pleasure in the Lord's devotional service.

ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਪ੍ਰਾਣੀ ਚਉਥੈ ਪਹਰੈ ਸਫਲਿਓ*ੁ ਰੈਣਿ ਭਗਤਾ ਦੀ ॥੪॥੧॥੩॥
kahu naanak praanee chouthhai peharai safalio rain bhagathaa dhee ||4||1||3||
Says Nanak, O mortal, in the fourth watch of the night, the life-night of the devotee is fruitful. ||4||1||3||

Gurbani eis jag meh chaanan
Gurbani har alakh lakhiayaa
Gurbani Gavo Bhaee

charan kamal parabh kay nit Dhi-aava-o
AmbarDhara ji

Here is meaning in essence of Shabad you have quoted.
ਚਉਥੈ ਪਹਰੈ ਰੈਣਿ ਕੈ ਵਣਜਾਰਿਆ ਮਿਤ੍ਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਚਲਣ ਵੇਲਾ ਆਦੀ ਕਰਿ ਸੇਵਹੁ ਪੂਰਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਵਣਜਾਰਿਆ ਮਿਤ੍ਰਾ ਸਭ ਚਲੀ ਰੈਣਿ ਵਿਹਾਦੀ ਹਰਿ ਸੇਵਹੁ ਖਿਨੁ ਖਿਨੁ ਢਿਲ ਮੂਲਿ ਨ ਕਰਿਹੁ ਜਿਤੁ ਅਸਥਿਰੁ ਜੁਗੁ ਜੁਗੁ ਹੋਵਹੁ ਹਰਿ ਸੇਤੀ ਸਦ ਮਾਣਹੁ ਰਲੀਆ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਣ ਦੁਖ ਖੋਵਹੁ ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਭੇਦੁ ਨ ਜਾਣਹੁ ਜਿਤੁ ਮਿਲਿ ਹਰਿ ਭਗਤਿ ਸੁਖਾਂਦੀ ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਪ੍ਰਾਣੀ ਚਉਥੈ ਪਹਰੈ ਸਫਲਿਓ*ੁ ਰੈਣਿ ਭਗਤਾ ਦੀ {ਪੰਨਾ 77}

“Oh my dear friend as fourth part of life-night comes, a call from Him to depart is served, my friend Guru is above error and seek refuge in him and follow his teachings (what is the teaching?(To be lost in the thoughts of Almighty) Don’t be lazy,( means don’t get lost in other affairs and fail to get time to do simran). Satguru is beyond error (means whatever Satguru says about His Simran is true, don’t doubt it.) Only through simran you will have eternal spiritual experience and be able to experience Waheguru and also it will get you from cycle of coming and going. Do not see any difference between Satguru and Waheguru because taking refuge in Guru’s company you shall be able to fall in love with the creator.
Question: what is the dominating idea in this Shabad?
Answer is Waheguru. What is preached here? Seek refuge in Satguru to do simran.
Why? Guru’s company enables us to fall in love with Waheguru.
Why there is no difference in Satguru and Waheguru( Because Guru has realized Him)
“JIN JATA SO TIS HEE JIHA” Ramkli dakhni Onkar GGS Ji
( means who realizes Him becomes like Him)

Your problem as I see is that you are stuck with “ Satguru sayeen jiha” You guys are more interested in proving that Guru is God, contrary to my position, I stand by Satguru’s bachan that states that in fact Waheguru is beyond birth and death. In that context Satguru declares obviously .In Bharon Mehla 5

ਸਗਲ ਪਰਾਧ ਦੇਹਿ ਲੋਰੋਨੀ ਸੋ ਮੁਖੁ ਜਲਉ ਜਿਤੁ ਕਹਹਿ ਠਾਕੁਰੁ ਜੋਨੀ ਜਨਮਿ ਨ ਮਰੈ ਨ ਆਵੈ ਨ ਜਾਇ ਨਾਨਕ ਕਾ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਰਹਿਓ ਸਮਾਇ {ਪੰਨਾ 1136}
This strong declaration is against those who says Waheguru incarnates by cursing them to think that way.
ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਭੇਦੁ ਨ ਜਾਣਹੁ ਜਿਤੁ ਮਿਲਿ ਹਰਿ ਭਗਤਿ ਸੁਖਾਂਦੀ Here
Stress is to follow Satguru since as said by Satguru Nanak” ones who totally are lost in His thoughts are become like Him” Onkar GGS JI. Still the principle of Satguru of God’s being beyond incarnation stands intact. Satguru taught us to be logical to be aware of superstitious and fairy tales but this Brahmin mentality is dragging some Sikhs back to the point from where Satguru liberated them.
Another point about immorality of Satguru,( as aad0002 pointed out) there is no doubt he is. Even after over 500 years still Guru is guiding us and will continue for ever. As Satguru inspired, I have fallen for Waheguru. I am unable to pay gratitude what Satguru has done for me, how much I adore and revere Satguru, is beyond words. Do not judge me with your narrow thinking. I have no affiliations to anyone but Guru. Rest is left on ones determination to follow Satguru and respect for what He stood for. His coming was expressed by Bhai Gurdas as “risen sun that dispels mist” but your approach is undoing what Satguru was sent to do and did . Third Nanak very strongly urges us

ਹੁਕਮੁ ਮੰਨਿਹੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਕੇਰਾ ਗਾਵਹੁ ਸਚੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਸੁਣਹੁ ਸੰਤਹੁ ਕਥਿਹੁ ਅਕਥ ਕਹਾਣੀ {ਪੰਨਾ 918}
So I am going to follow him, the major dominating principle of Sikhism, to be in love with Him by praising WAHEGURU through Gurbani
Rest I leave to WAHEGURU. When I am full with limitations what right have to judge others. Peace!!

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Originally Quoted by pk70
Question: what is the dominating idea in this Shabad?
Answer is Waheguru. What is preached here? Seek refuge in Satguru to do simran.

Why? Guru’s company enables us to fall in love with Waheguru.
Why there is no difference in Satguru and Waheguru( Because Guru has realized Him)
“JIN JATA SO TIS HEE JIHA” Ramkli dakhni Onkar GGS Ji
( means who realizes Him becomes like Him)

This puts things in clear perspective.

.................................................................................................

ਹੁਕਮੁ ਮੰਨਿਹੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਕੇਰਾ ਗਾਵਹੁ ਸਚੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਸੁਣਹੁ ਸੰਤਹੁ ਕਥਿਹੁ ਅਕਥ ਕਹਾਣੀ {ਪੰਨਾ 918}

This is from Sri Granth :

ਹੁਕਮੁ ਮੰਨਿਹੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਕੇਰਾ ਗਾਵਹੁ ਸਚੀ ਬਾਣੀ
हुकमु मंनिहु गुरू केरा गावहु सची बाणी ॥
Hukam mannihu gurū kėrā gāvhu sacẖī baṇī.
Obey the Hukam of the Guru's Command, and sing the True Word of His Bani.

ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਸੁਣਹੁ ਸੰਤਹੁ ਕਥਿਹੁ ਅਕਥ ਕਹਾਣੀ ॥੯॥
कहै नानकु सुणहु संतहु कथिहु अकथ कहाणी ॥९॥
Kahai Nānak suṇhu sanṯahu kathihu akath kahāṇī. ||9||
Says Nanak, listen, O Saints, and speak the Unspoken Speech of the Lord. ||9||

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਆਵਹੁ ਸੰਤ ਪਿਆਰਿਹੋ ਅਕਥ ਕੀ ਕਰਹ ਕਹਾਣੀ
आवहु संत पिआरिहो अकथ की करह कहाणी ॥
Āvhu sanṯ pi­āriho akath kī karah kahāṇī.
Come, Beloved Saints, let us speak the Unspoken Speech of the Lord.

ਕਰਹ ਕਹਾਣੀ ਅਕਥ ਕੇਰੀ ਕਿਤੁ ਦੁਆਰੈ ਪਾਈਐ
करह कहाणी अकथ केरी कितु दुआरै पाईऐ ॥
Karah kahāṇī akath kėrī kiṯ ḏu­ārai pā­ī­ai.
How can we speak the Unspoken Speech of the Lord? Through which door will we find Him?

ਤਨੁ ਮਨੁ ਧਨੁ ਸਭੁ ਸਉਪਿ ਗੁਰ ਕਉ ਹੁਕਮਿ ਮੰਨਿਐ ਪਾਈਐ
तनु मनु धनु सभु सउपि गुर कउ हुकमि मंनिऐ पाईऐ ॥
Ŧan man ḏẖan sabẖ sa­up gur ka­o hukam mani­ai pā­ī­ai.
Surrender body, mind, wealth, and everything to the Guru; obey the Order of His Will, and you will find Him.

ਹੁਕਮੁ ਮੰਨਿਹੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਕੇਰਾ ਗਾਵਹੁ ਸਚੀ ਬਾਣੀ
हुकमु मंनिहु गुरू केरा गावहु सची बाणी ॥
Hukam mannihu gurū kėrā gāvhu sacẖī baṇī.
Obey the Hukam of the Guru's Command, and sing the True Word of His Bani.

ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਸੁਣਹੁ ਸੰਤਹੁ ਕਥਿਹੁ ਅਕਥ ਕਹਾਣੀ ॥੯॥
कहै नानकु सुणहु संतहु कथिहु अकथ कहाणी ॥९॥
Kahai Nānak suṇhu sanṯahu kathihu akath kahāṇī. ||9||
Says Nanak, listen, O Saints, and speak the Unspoken Speech of the Lord. ||9||

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
ਚਉਥੈ ਪਹਰੈ ਰੈਣਿ ਕੈ ਵਣਜਾਰਿਆ ਮਿਤ੍ਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਚਲਣ ਵੇਲਾ ਆਦੀ ॥ ਕਰਿ ਸੇਵਹੁ ਪੂਰਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਵਣਜਾਰਿਆ ਮਿਤ੍ਰਾ ਸਭ ਚਲੀ ਰੈਣਿ ਵਿਹਾਦੀ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਸੇਵਹੁ ਖਿਨੁ ਖਿਨੁ ਢਿਲ ਮੂਲਿ ਨ ਕਰਿਹੁ ਜਿਤੁ ਅਸਥਿਰੁ ਜੁਗੁ ਜੁਗੁ ਹੋਵਹੁ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਸੇਤੀ ਸਦ ਮਾਣਹੁ ਰਲੀਆ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਣ ਦੁਖ ਖੋਵਹੁ ॥ ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਭੇਦੁ ਨ ਜਾਣਹੁ ਜਿਤੁ ਮਿਲਿ ਹਰਿ ਭਗਤਿ ਸੁਖਾਂਦੀ ॥ ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਪ੍ਰਾਣੀ ਚਉਥੈ ਪਹਰੈ ਸਫਲਿਓ*ੁ ਰੈਣਿ ਭਗਤਾ ਦੀ ॥੪॥੧॥੩॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 77}

pdArQ:- AwdI—ilAWdw hY, lY AwauNdw hY (AWdI) [ kir pUrw—pUrw jwx ky, ABu`l jwx ky [ syvhu—srnI pvo [ rYix—rwq, aumr [ clI ivhwdI—lµGdI jw rhI hY [

iKnu iKnu—hryk iKn (ivc), suAws suAws [ syvhu—ismro[ mUil—iblkul hI [ ijqu—ijs (au~dm) dI rwhIN [ AsiQru—At`l, At`l Awqmk jIvn vwly [ rlIAw—Awqmk Awnµd [ jnm mrx duK—jnm mrn dy gyV ivc pwx vwly du`K [ Bydu—&rk [ ijqu—ijs (gurU) ivc [ imil—iml ky, juV ky [ suKWdI—ipAwrI l`gdI hY [ sPilau—{not:- ‘a’ dy nwl do mwqrw hn u Aqy o [ Asl l&z hY ‘sPilE’, ieQy ‘siPlau’ pVHnw hY [4[

ArQ:- hir-nwm dw vxj krn Awey hy jIv-imqR! (izMdgI dI rwq dy) cOQy phr prmwqmw (jIv dy ie`QoN) qurn dw smw lY (hI) AwauNdw hY [ hy vxjwry jIv-imqR! gurU nUµ ABu`l jwx ky gurU dI srn pvo, (izMdgI dI) swrI rwq bIqdI jw rhI hY [ (hy jIv-imqR!) suAws suAws prmwqmw dw nwm ismro, (ies kMm ivc) iblkul Awls nwh kro, ismrn dI brkiq nwl hI sdw vwsqy At`l Awqmk jIvn vwly bx skogy [ (hy jIv-imqR! ismrn dI brkiq nwl hI) prmwqmw dy imlwp dw Awnµd sdw mwxogy qy jnm mrn dy gyV iv`c pwx vwly duKwN ƒ mukw skygw [

(hy jIv-imqR!) gurU qy prmwqmw ivc (rqw BI) &rk nwh smJo gurU (dy crnwN) iv`c juV ky hI prmwqmw dI BgqI ipAwrI l`gdI hY [

Pk 70 and namjap ji,

We are all learning and it shall continue till the final call. We are all acting as per HIS hukum.
I have posted above the translation of Dr.Sahib Singh ji that shows that there is perfect alignment with that you have stated.
The above shall be helpful to those knowing Gurmukhi. However, that pk70 ji has stated is the essence of this shabad as per Sahib singh ji's version as well.

Bhul chuk Mauf
[/FONT]

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Sikh80 posed a question in this thread :
www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-sikhism/19498-akath-katha-explained-in-gurbani.html

Question :
The katha that cannot be told/said/stated/understood is called as Akath Katha. What is this Katha.?Why has it been stated as above in Granth Sahib ji.?
Anyone in the know of the things may kindly like to share.

pk70 Ji and All,

Your feedback will be much appreciated.

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Sikh80 posed a question in this thread :
www.sikhphilosophy.net/sikh-sikhi-sikhism/19498-akath-katha-explained-in-gurbani.html

Question :
The katha that cannot be told/said/stated/understood is called as Akath Katha. What is this Katha.?Why has it been stated as above in Granth Sahib ji.?
Anyone in the know of the things may kindly like to share.

pk70 Ji and All,

Your feedback will be much appreciated.

namjap ji

Sikhism is very beautiful, I am not praising only because I strongly believe in but because it has an eye opening approach. Akath, is refered to The Inexpressible. Katha, literally means, story. in simple words, it is possible to express The inexpressible; however only by meeting trueGuru. True Guru had that experience, with his help The Inexpressible can be understood. In mool mantra Satguru just makes an effort to express His some fundamental qualities but later on says that it is not enough whatever he said or being said about Him in the past. People say repentable things, they get proved wrong. That thought leads one to Guru to have His experience who is beyond words. Tragedy is that people understand anything only with the help of words or numbers. Gurbani says that still experience of Inexperssible is very much possible but one need to prepare for that, by merely saying things are doing rituals will not take you to that state of " Akath Kathna( to express the inexpressible). Hope it will help you.
Rgds

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
ਚਉਥੈ ਪਹਰੈ ਰੈਣਿ ਕੈ ਵਣਜਾਰਿਆ ਮਿਤ੍ਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਚਲਣ ਵੇਲਾ ਆਦੀ ॥ ਕਰਿ ਸੇਵਹੁ ਪੂਰਾ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਵਣਜਾਰਿਆ ਮਿਤ੍ਰਾ ਸਭ ਚਲੀ ਰੈਣਿ ਵਿਹਾਦੀ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਸੇਵਹੁ ਖਿਨੁ ਖਿਨੁ ਢਿਲ ਮੂਲਿ ਨ ਕਰਿਹੁ ਜਿਤੁ ਅਸਥਿਰੁ ਜੁਗੁ ਜੁਗੁ ਹੋਵਹੁ ॥ ਹਰਿ ਸੇਤੀ ਸਦ ਮਾਣਹੁ ਰਲੀਆ ਜਨਮ ਮਰਣ ਦੁਖ ਖੋਵਹੁ ॥ ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਭੇਦੁ ਨ ਜਾਣਹੁ ਜਿਤੁ ਮਿਲਿ ਹਰਿ ਭਗਤਿ ਸੁਖਾਂਦੀ ॥ ਕਹੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਪ੍ਰਾਣੀ ਚਉਥੈ ਪਹਰੈ ਸਫਲਿਓ*ੁ ਰੈਣਿ ਭਗਤਾ ਦੀ ॥੪॥੧॥੩॥ {ਪੰਨਾ 77}

pdArQ:- AwdI—ilAWdw hY, lY AwauNdw hY (AWdI) [ kir pUrw—pUrw jwx ky, ABu`l jwx ky [ syvhu—srnI pvo [ rYix—rwq, aumr [ clI ivhwdI—lµGdI jw rhI hY [

iKnu iKnu—hryk iKn (ivc), suAws suAws [ syvhu—ismro[ mUil—iblkul hI [ ijqu—ijs (au~dm) dI rwhIN [ AsiQru—At`l, At`l Awqmk jIvn vwly [ rlIAw—Awqmk Awnµd [ jnm mrx duK—jnm mrn dy gyV ivc pwx vwly du`K [ Bydu—&rk [ ijqu—ijs (gurU) ivc [ imil—iml ky, juV ky [ suKWdI—ipAwrI l`gdI hY [ sPilau—{not:- ‘a’ dy nwl do mwqrw hn u Aqy o [ Asl l&z hY ‘sPilE’, ieQy ‘siPlau’ pVHnw hY [4[

ArQ:- hir-nwm dw vxj krn Awey hy jIv-imqR! (izMdgI dI rwq dy) cOQy phr prmwqmw (jIv dy ie`QoN) qurn dw smw lY (hI) AwauNdw hY [ hy vxjwry jIv-imqR! gurU nUµ ABu`l jwx ky gurU dI srn pvo, (izMdgI dI) swrI rwq bIqdI jw rhI hY [ (hy jIv-imqR!) suAws suAws prmwqmw dw nwm ismro, (ies kMm ivc) iblkul Awls nwh kro, ismrn dI brkiq nwl hI sdw vwsqy At`l Awqmk jIvn vwly bx skogy [ (hy jIv-imqR! ismrn dI brkiq nwl hI) prmwqmw dy imlwp dw Awnµd sdw mwxogy qy jnm mrn dy gyV iv`c pwx vwly duKwN ƒ mukw skygw [

(hy jIv-imqR!) gurU qy prmwqmw ivc (rqw BI) &rk nwh smJo gurU (dy crnwN) iv`c juV ky hI prmwqmw dI BgqI ipAwrI l`gdI hY [

Pk 70 and namjap ji,

We are all learning and it shall continue till the final call. We are all acting as per HIS hukum.
I have posted above the translation of Dr.Sahib Singh ji that shows that there is perfect alignment with that you have stated.
The above shall be helpful to those knowing Gurmukhi. However, that pk70 ji has stated is the essence of this shabad as per Sahib singh ji's version as well.

Bhul chuk Mauf

Sikh 80
You are doing wonderful job for the SPN fellows by searching and posting relevant material. We are all here to learn, no one is perfect, in my view, only Satguru is perfect who does a perfect job to mend us and lead us to The Ultimate Truth, our CREATOR.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
ਪ੍ਰਭਾਤੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੩ ॥ (1333)
प्रभाती महला ३ ॥
parbhaatee mehlaa 3.
Prabhaatee, Third Mehl:
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਹਰਿ ਸਾਲਾਹਿਆ ਜਿੰਨਾ ਤਿਨ ਸਲਾਹਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਾਤਾ ॥ (1333)
गुरमुखि हरि सालाहिआ जिंना तिन सलाहि हरि जाता ॥
gurmukh har salaahi-aa jinna tin salaahi har jaataa.
The Gurmukhs praise the Lord; praising the Lord, they know Him.
ਵਿਚਹੁ ਭਰਮੁ ਗਇਆ ਹੈ ਦੂਜਾ ਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਸਬਦਿ ਪਛਾਤਾ ॥੧॥ (1333)
विचहु भरमु गइआ है दूजा गुर कै सबदि पछाता ॥१॥
vichahu bharam ga-i-aa hai doojaa gur kai sabad pachhaataa. ||1||
Doubt and duality are gone from within; they realize the Word of the Guru's Shabad. ||1||
ਹਰਿ ਜੀਉ ਤੂ ਮੇਰਾ ਇਕੁ ਸੋਈ ॥ (1333)
हरि जीउ तू मेरा इकु सोई ॥
har jee-o too mayraa ik so-ee.
O Dear Lord, You are my One and Only.
ਤੁਧੁ ਜਪੀ ਤੁਧੈ ਸਾਲਾਹੀ ਗਤਿ ਮਤਿ ਤੁਝ ਤੇ ਹੋਈ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥ (1333)
तुधु जपी तुधै सालाही गति मति तुझ ते होई ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
tuDh japee tuDhai saalaahee gat mat tujh tay ho-ee. ||1|| rahaa-o.
I meditate on You and praise You; salvation and wisdom come from You. ||1||Pause||
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਾਲਾਹਨਿ ਸੇ ਸਾਦੁ ਪਾਇਨਿ ਮੀਠਾ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਸਾਰੁ ॥ (1333)
गुरमुखि सालाहनि से सादु पाइनि मीठा अम्रितु सारु ॥
gurmukh saalaahan say saad paa-in meethaa amrit saar.
The Gurmukhs praise You; they receive the most excellent and sweet Ambrosial Nectar.
ਸਦਾ ਮੀਠਾ ਕਦੇ ਨ ਫੀਕਾ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦੀ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥੨॥ (1333)
सदा मीठा कदे न फीका गुर सबदी वीचारु ॥२॥
sadaa meethaa kaday na feekaa gur sabdee veechaar. ||2||
This Nectar is forever sweet; it never loses its taste. Contemplate the Word of the Guru's Shabad. ||2||
ਜਿਨਿ ਮੀਠਾ ਲਾਇਆ ਸੋਈ ਜਾਣੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਵਿਟਹੁ ਬਲਿ ਜਾਈ ॥ (1333)
जिनि मीठा लाइआ सोई जाणै तिसु विटहु बलि जाई ॥
jin meethaa laa-i-aa so-ee jaanai tis vitahu bal jaa-ee.
He makes it seem so sweet to me; I am a sacrifice to Him.
ਸਬਦਿ ਸਲਾਹੀ ਸਦਾ ਸੁਖਦਾਤਾ ਵਿਚਹੁ ਆਪੁ ਗਵਾਈ ॥੩॥ (1333)
सबदि सलाही सदा सुखदाता विचहु आपु गवाई ॥३॥
sabad salaahee sadaa sukh-daata vichahu aap gavaa-ee. ||3||
Through the Shabad, I praise the Giver of peace forever. I have eradicated self-conceit from within. ||3||
ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਮੇਰਾ ਸਦਾ ਹੈ ਦਾਤਾ ਜੋ ਇਛੈ ਸੋ ਫਲੁ ਪਾਏ ॥ (1333)
सतिगुरु मेरा सदा है दाता जो इछै सो फलु पाए ॥
satgur mayraa sadaa hai daataa jo ichhai so fal paa-ay.
My True Guru is forever the Giver. I receive whatever fruits and rewards I desire.
ਨਾਨਕ ਨਾਮੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਵਡਿਆਈ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦੀ ਸਚੁ ਪਾਏ ॥੪॥੩॥ (1333)
नानक नामु मिलै वडिआई गुर सबदी सचु पाए ॥४॥३॥
naanak naam milai vadi-aa-ee gur sabdee sach paa-ay. ||4||3||
O Nanak, through the Naam, glorious greatness is obtained; through the Word of the Guru's Shabad, the True One is found. ||4||3||

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
namjap ji
I love it. In Gurmat we are advised by the Guru to ask for love for him, nothing else because all other things are being given by HIM any way; the one we dont have is A STRONG LONGING for HIM

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
namjap ji
I love it. In Gurmat we are advised by the Guru to ask for love for him, nothing else because all other things are being given by HIM any way; the one we dont have is A STRONG LONGING for HIM
well said! hehe, even if we ask Him/Her, He/She won't give anything to us, if He/She doesn't want to, since we have no control over the almighty. So no point in asking. Just say "Sarbat the Bhala."

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Guru sahib tells us that he has seen The Lord. There is no metaphor in this line. May be someone be kind to explain the meaning.

khu nwnk hir isau mnu mwinAw so pRBu nYxI fITw ]1] (452-13, Awsw, mÚ 5)

Says Nanak, my mind is in harmony with the Lord; I have seen God with my eyes. ||1||
Sikh this is again a metaphor, Guru Nanak says God is formless and is unseen, so how did guru see Him/Her?
well, Guru Nanak says Lord can be seen only when, you have no anger, lust, etc (those 5 thieves), when you consider human race to be equal, etc. Seeing the Lord is not the point here (because that's impossible), the point is how you can see the Lord, once you start doing that(getting rid of 5 thieves etc etc) you become an amazing person. So amazing that YOU HAVE SEEN THE LORD, because back then (and even now) people thought anyone who saw the Lord must have been a good person.
But seeing the Lord is a metaphor for saying I have gotten rid of my anger, lust, greed etc. I know that the Lord is in everything around us, so I treat everyone equally, and so on.
So, says Nanak my mind is in harmony with the Lord. I have gotten rid of my 5 thieves, believe in equality and selfless service, and so on. Doesn't sound as good as seeing Waheguru? That's why Guru Nanak said I saw Waheguru, and showed us how we can "see" Him/Her.

Maybe, you should post the whole passage.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Bhagat Singh Ji,

You put it beautifully. Thanks.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM