Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Spyware Problems

Discussion in 'Information Technology' started by Kanwaljit Singh, May 16, 2012.

1. Kanwaljit Singh

Kanwaljit Singh India
    Expand Collapse
    Apache Spark, Scala developer
    Writer SPNer

Hehe this is not a Sikhi topic as such. But am guessing many people here use Internet frequently and are techies, so someone might help.

I am using Win7 x64 laptop. Since some time spyware ads are showing up on lower right part of screen. When closed, they collapse to read 'Recommended for You' in a rectangle. Other thing is sometimes I click on a genuine link on a website, it redirects me to spyware websites.

Funny thing is that this behavior is consistent across all browsers (including IE and Chrome), so I guess my Win-registry which handles hypertexts and web calls has been corrupted.

I have used many anti-spyware softwares but no avail.

Already tried:

Spybot
    Superantispyware (Free edition)
    Malicious software removal (Microsoft)
    Microsoft security essentials

Please help if you can. Those ads and redirects irritate me a lot!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Sunbelt To Upgrade Enterprise, Consumer Anti-Spyware (TechWeb) Interfaith Dialogues Apr 9, 2005
    Macs More Vulnerable, Spyware A Danger (TechWeb) Interfaith Dialogues Mar 30, 2005
    Microsoft Plans Free Anti-Spyware Program (AP) Interfaith Dialogues Feb 16, 2005
    Sikh News Sikhs Face Problems While Carrying Kirpans In Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa - SikhSiyasat.Net Breaking News Jul 29, 2016
    "Dasam" Granth - A Look At The Core Problems Dasam Granth Oct 21, 2015

3. Harry Haller

Harry Haller United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

Kanwaljitji,

The programs that I use are Malware bytes, and Combofix, these are both, in my opinion much better than the programs you have listed.

Have a look at your ad/remove programs and remove anything that looks suspicious, and then run malware bytes, and if that makes no difference combofix.

Regards

4. Kanwaljit Singh

Kanwaljit Singh India
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

I might have tried Malwarebytes too! I didn't want so many anti spywares. Will remove one or two of them and install Combofix! Thanks!

5. Harry Haller

Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

Kanwaljitji , if you are running several at the same time, all scanning, your pc will slow down to a crawl, Malware bytes free version does not have an active scanner, you just run it when you feel you have problems, same with combofix, also, dont forget if you are running lavasoft ad-aware together with an antivirus program then you run the risk of neither of them working at all, You cannot run two different antivirus programs on the same pc at the same time, they will conflict, as ad-aware has antivirus built in.

Sophos is the market leader insofar as antivirus is concerned, together with a few weekly scans by malware bytes, I cannot recall the last time I had problems,

:)

6. Kanwaljit Singh

Kanwaljit Singh India
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

Ah worked wonders! Blasted stuff away :D I am really happy. Will update if any problems resurface. Looks good for now!

• Like Like x 2
  7. TigerStyleZ

TigerStyleZ
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

You need a Regcleaner - and some AdBlokck programs for yor browser . ex . Firefox take Adblock and Chrome take Adblock. Use anti virus and anti spy- male ware programs like GData or Avast, Kaspersky

8. Harry Haller

Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

Having a computer is like being a good Sikh, you just need to use your brain, rather than put your faith in things that will automatically protect you, but could possibly make things worse, and add little to your own understanding lol

• Like Like x 3
  9. TigerStyleZ

TigerStyleZ
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Yes , good example but I don´t see the points? I am not putting my faith in anything but why would do much effor and script your own cleaners, when there are already some scripted? Some of them are open source . so where is the problem? If you have little knowledge you will understand and can add or remove some strings - and if you have time you can copile your own program. Malewarebytes and Combofix are as well scripted programs of other people .

10. Harry Haller

Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

Allow me to explain dear brother

I am not suggesting you write your own, but even with the most potent and effective virus scanner or malware/spyware blocker, there is still the potential to get viruses. Sometimes people think that just because they are protected , then they do not have to use their brains at all, and can drift through the day confident that their antivirus has protected them, but as we both know, discretion, thinking, intelligence, scepticism are all called for, common sense if you will, its the best antivirus on the market, as it also protects against that common virus too, the virus pretending to be cure of all your ills, which then promptly installs itself and proceeds to make things worse,

• Like Like x 2
  11. TigerStyleZ

TigerStyleZ
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Oh !! Know I understand thanks for the explanation! I thought you are talking about the program itself - but you excluded the Sikhi side of this matter - Learned something new ! :happysingh: Y, sometimes I don´t get the point because my english isn´t that good - but thanks for this clarification.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Harry Haller

Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

for some reason brother, I thought you were canadian! I am speaking in riddles, allow me to hammer home the analogy,

I am not suggesting you write your own, but even with the most potent and effective virus scanner or malware/spyware blocker (BANI), there is still the potential to get viruses. Sometimes people think that just because they are protected (say by doing morning and evening Path), then they do not have to use their brains at all, and can drift through the day confident that their antivirus (Sikhi) has protected them, but as we both know, discretion, thinking, intelligence, scepticism are all called for, common sense if you will, its the best antivirus on the market, as it also protects against that common virus too, the virus pretending to be cure of all your ills, which then promptly installs itself and proceeds to make things worse,(Fake Babas!)

hope that helps, and I find your written english near perfect kudihug

• Like Like x 1
  13. TigerStyleZ

TigerStyleZ
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Hah, yes you are right :) In this Kal jug everything is possible. I am from Germany , never thought my english is that good. :sippingcoffeemunda:It is somehow a bit difficult for me because I am learning several other languages. . .Often I write from my smartphone thats why some posts maybe confuse you or some others but . But nevermind.

What you explained, I love the most on Sikhi - you can use bani on everything in everyday life .

• Like Like x 2
  14. Harry Haller

Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

Germany!! :) thats Herman Hesse country!! From what I know German is a very warm and descriptive language, one day I hope to learn it so that I may read the book Steppenwolf in its original format

living by Bani is also what I love most about Sikhi tookaurhug

15. TigerStyleZ

TigerStyleZ
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Haha! Now i get it! You took the name "Harry Haller" from his book , lol thought this is your real name! Der Steppenwolf is a great literary work, I really like it as well - German is really difficult(sometimes annoying) and hard language ^-^, but it is the homeland of Goethe and co. "The land of poets and thinkers". The english format of Steppenwolf is good but yes you are right you need to read it in the original or its senseless icecreammunda

Maybe one day I can teach you :p You are welcome here 24/7 hours a day

• Like Like x 2
  16. Harry Haller

Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

<peering round> we are going way off topic here, but I think Kanwaljitji has solved his problem, you will probably find this highly amusing, but I used to carry that book around me and basically lived by it for near on 20 years, I arrived on this forum half man, and half wolf! In fact somewhere here is a thread entitled 'a wolfs view of Sikhism', I eventually realised that Bani offered me so much more than Hesse, and as I was born Sikh, came back home.

I used to think that book defined me more than I could define myself, until I gave my head back to Guruji, and here I am, a Sikh again, extremely nice to meet another reader, there are very few of us about, I have lent this book to maybe 25 people and not one has got even to the Treatise.

youve made my day :happymunda:

• Like Like x 3
  17. Archived_member15

Archived_member15
    Expand Collapse

My favourite Herman Hesse book, the only one I have actually read in fact, is Siddartha.

Its a novel set during the time of the Buddha, about a young Brahmin that goes off in search of enlightenment.

Its a fascinating and very spiritual uplifting read.

I absolutely love German mysticism and poetry.

Many of the Catholic mystics I have quoted from here on SPN were German...Saint Hildegard of Bingen, Meister Eckhart, Saint Mechthild of Magdeburg, Blessed Henry Suso, Johannes Tauler, Angelus Silesius, the Theologia Germanica, Cardinal Nicholas of Cusa...They are usually called, "The Rhineland Mystics"...There are many more for example the delightful German mystic Thomas à Kempis author of, "The Imitation of Christ" a 14th century mystical text that is the most widely read and sold religious book book in Christian lands other than the Bible itself! His chapter on Love is considered by many, for example the 20th century Hindu teacher Eknath Easwaran, to "epitomize the essence of Christian spirituality". A famous saying of his goes:

"Without the Way,
    <DD>there is no going, <DD>Without the Truth, <DD>there is no knowing, <DD>Without the Life, <DD>there is no living."</DD>

I love the subtlety and depth of thought in the German mystics....it is almost "Eastern" I feel, at times, in its orientation, with a kind of "Zen-like" quality to much of it.

Then there is, post-Reformation, the great Lutheran mystic Jacok Boehme....
    <DD>
    I would love to be able to read German so that I could read Goethe's "Faust" and these great German mystics in the original language.

I saw Faust performed back in 2010 at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival and it was amazing, such a gripping tale, such a great mind.

The other great love of my life, apart from German poetry and mystics, are the Sufi poets and mystics of Persia - Rumi, Hafez, Saadi, Jami etc.

I have German ancestors, so it must be in my blood I guess, all that mysticism lol

</DD>

• Like Like x 3
    #16 Archived_member15, May 16, 2012
    Last edited: May 16, 2012
  18. Harry Haller

Expand Collapse

Writer SPNer Contributor

Vouthonji,

well today has been a day of surprises, two men under 20 who have both read my favourite author, amazing!!!

I love Siddartha, I bought it after steppenwolf and read it in Thurrock car park, and finished it in the car park, wow, I cannot believe it, finding people that appreciate Hesse is very very difficult!!

I actually reread it the other day, the water, the answer is in the water :)

Gentlemen if you have not read narcissus and goldmund,you both must, it is much easier to read than the others, but what a story! what holds the meaning of life? the flesh, or God two young monks go seperate ways, one finds the answers through the flesh, the other through God, oh my Im getting goosebumps, wonderful wonderful days, you guys have really made my day!!!!! 0:)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Archived_member15

Archived_member15
    Expand Collapse

My dear brother Harry ji peacesignkaur

Well you have made me want nothing more than to go up to my attic, dust off my copy of Siddartha and read it all over again!!!! lol

Why, you have got me by the hook now - my interest is piqued and I think I will go on Amazon and order Narcissus and the Goldmund. If it is anywhere near as powerful and thought-provoking a book as Siddhartha then I really am looking forward to getting my nose stuck in it. Two young monks going separate ways? It sounds right up my street.

I first read Siddartha about three years ago, when I was reading deeply into Buddhism and Hinduism. I loved how short it was yet it really packed a punch.

There was a real kind of St Francis esque element in Siddhartha's lapse into sensual pleasure as a worldly trader with the beautiful courtesan Kamala who eventually fell for him, before re-entering the ascetic life.

I loved how Hesse stressed that it was experience even experiences of ordinary human pleasures, negative experiences, dissastisfaction etc, that leads to enlightenment rather than "methods" ie mortifications, fasting, reading and chanting the Vedas etc.

He didn't find enlightenment through any particular method or path such as the path of ascetism, the path of a good Brahmin reading the Vedas or hedonism but rather it was the totality of all these experiences which led to his enlightenment when he meets the boatman, his "Guru" if you like.

To me it seems that Hesse is as steeped in his native German Catholic and Protestant mysticism as he is in Buddhism or Hinduism. Hesse is quoted as having said: "Christianity... was the strongest of the powers that shaped and moulded me." As Cliffnotes says about the novel: "The Christian influence on Siddhartha may not be immediately obvious, but it is, nevertheless, unmistakable. To attain salvation, Siddhartha must once again regain his innocence, becoming once again as a little child before entering the Gates of Heaven. Herein lies the perfect resolution of the novel".

Its also partly autobiographical in places, in an odd sort of way. Siddhartha left the strict bonds of his Brahmin father to seek his own salvation just as Hesse left the strict bonds of his Pietest father to become a writer.

Siddhartha is actually a profoundly universal work that Christians as well as Buddhists, Hindus and Sikhs can learn from.

The whole novel is for me an illustration of these words of Meister Eckhart:

"...The more you seek God, the less you will find God. If you do not seek God, you will find God. God does not ask anything else of you except that you let yourself go and let God be God in you...Ascetism is of no great importance. There is a better way to treat one's passions than to pile on oneself ascetic practices which so often reveal a great ego and create more, instead of less, self-conciousness...It is when people are not aware of God's presence everywhere that they must seek God by special methods and special practices. Such people have not attained God. To all outward appearences persons who continue properly in their pious practices are holy. Inwardly, however, they are asses. For they know about God but do not know God...All paths lead to God, for God is on them all evenly for the person who knows with transformed knowledge. What is best is to take God and enjoy God in any manner, in any thing, and not to have to exercise and hunt around for your own special way. All my life this has been my joy!...Apprehend God in all things, for God is in all things. Every single creature is full of God and is a book about God. Every creature is a word of God. If I spent enough time with the tiniest creature -even a caterpillar- I would never have to prepare a sermon. So full of God is every creature..."

- Meister Eckhart (1260-1328), German Catholic mystic and Dominican priest

All paths, every experience in your life, leads you to God - to enlightenment. Don't seek him through any "special" method, or any special "technique" or in any special place, rather apprehend him - see him - everywhere, in every life-experience you have had and you will have enlightenment!

I am quite sure that Hesse will have read Eckhart. He must have. He is the pre-eminent German mystic and (sadly) during the Nazi era he was eulogised as the Father of Germany. Yes, the Nazis abused Eckhart for their own ends because he was one of the first people to write not in Latin but in his own native Thuringian German dialect so that ordinary peasant-folk could benefit from his spiritual insights. The Nazis told all Germans to read him, which I think had a counter-effect since Eckhart is so very much a free spirit and free thinker and this could not but have turned young Germans against the stifling, controlling nature of Nazism :angryyoungsingh:

They corrupted his teavhing about the Ground of the Soul and the God Within by setting them up against the so-called "God in the sky" preached by the Churches, and claiming that Eckhart was a predecessor of the Nazi party, using his concepts to back up their theories about blood and to bolster the creation of their anti-Christian, neo-pagan "German religion" with Hitler as the Messiah. I have heard that the current government in Iran is also abusing the memory of the great Sufi poet Rumi to bolster their own ends. History has a strange way of repeating itself.

Anyhow, enough of my rant about the Nazis!

The spiritual message of this book really "clicked" for me, and the ending with the Water, I'd forgot about that because I haven't read it for about a year, but that was absolutely stunning.

• Like Like x 2
    #18 Archived_member15, May 17, 2012
    Last edited: May 17, 2012
  20. Kanwaljit Singh

Kanwaljit Singh India
    Expand Collapse
    Writer SPNer

I think this thread is going off topic :p

• Like Like x 2
  21. Archived_member15

Archived_member15
    Expand Collapse

I am sorry brother Kanwaljit to have to go off topic one last time but I pray you forgive me 0:)

Vis-a-vis my last post on the previous page about Siddartha and the mystic Eckhart, I went onto wikipedia and typed in Narcissus and the Goldmund and read:

"...Narcissus and Goldmund is the story of a young man, Goldmund, who wanders around aimlessly throughout Medieval Germany after leaving a Catholic monastery school in search of what could be described as "the meaning of life", or rather, meaning for his life..."

Thats the exact period of most of the German Catholic mystics! And its about essenitially a young monk searching for enlightenment in medieval Germany!

I'm going to buy this - I love the plot already!

...That's it no more off-topic posts, I promise! mundahug

• Like Like x 2