• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Spiritual Turban

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
Dear H - a very good morning ! Hope all is well and life is what it is, unless change is managed.

May I confer upon you an obligation to carry out as it were, bit of "housekeeping" ? Ishna Ji has started a blog which is pretty much freewill related and we've already one under construction. Taken together with this Spiritual Turban and if consolidated to populate under one roof would save the likes of me lot of migration excursions and help find you all in one hit. Is that possible, if so, I'd be much obliged ?

Regards

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
Lol God serves the karam. How we're served it is up to him.

Millions are the regions above; millions the regions below;

Millions are the species taking birth.

By diverse means does He spread Himself.

Again and again did He expand Himself thus,

But He ever remains the One Ekankar.

Countless creatures of various kinds

Come out of Him and are absorbed back.

None can know the limit of His Being;

He, the Lord, O Nanak! is all in all Himself.
— (SGGS. 275-76)

He is all yet remains detached from all.

Hes the knower of all hearts and discovers through us- he is Truth- pure consciousness and love.
you have not answered any of my questions, do you wish me to list them for you?

I did, okay in response to the first part about hate, hate is just negative waves. When u realise that hate is just Truth as is everything else, inc. Maya, Its neutralized. Truth is balance. There is no hate, there is no fear, only Truth- balance. All else is illusion.

With regards to your second question, I already answered that God serves karam according to how he Wills it to be served.

If you're an egostitocal greedy tyrannical king in this Janam, you may be a starving person in africa in your next. If u kill someone, you may get killed later on. The laws of karma are simple, you reap what u sow, you get what u give- be it positive or negative.

Your third statement about sending someone and adopting forms was answered with the last piece of gyan from Gurbani, God is All, All is an expansion of Him- Truth.We are All made of the Same stuff, the drop in the ocean and ocean in the drop etc.

Therefore He sent the emporer to serve karam and he came in the form of the emporer. It's really beyond logic- if u close your eyes and accept all u see and all u Dont as Him in your heart, you may get a better grasp of it.

This Is just a khel, it's all just him.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I did, okay in response to the first part about hate, hate is just negative waves. When u realise that hate is just Truth as is everything else, inc. Maya, Its neutralized. Truth is balance. There is no hate, there is no fear, only Truth- balance. All else is illusion.

I understand where you are coming from, I would call it idealism, idealism does not work, realism works, how does the above help when you are confronted with hate? As you are being beaten about the head, the fact that hate is just truth does not really help. As you survey the blood coming out of your nose, it does not seem much of an illusion.

If you're an egostitocal greedy tyrannical king in this Janam, you may be a starving person in africa in your next. If u kill someone, you may get killed later on. The laws of karma are simple, you reap what u sow, you get what u give- be it positive or negative.

Ok, now we are getting somewhere, so to you, karam means carrying forward sins from one life to another, does it only work from one life to another, or can it work in a single life, ie if I do something to you today, the laws of karam will ensure something happens to me in this life, or the next life?

Your third statement about sending someone and adopting forms was answered with the last piece of gyan from Gurbani, God is All, All is an expansion of Him- Truth.We are All made of the Same stuff, the drop in the ocean and ocean in the drop etc.

Ok, so God intervenes in life, and also adopts forms?

It's really beyond logic- if u close your eyes and accept all u see and all u Dont as Him in your heart, you may get a better grasp of it.

How does this help you, can you share some stories about how this view changes your life? Do you follow this statement yourself? How would you view a man about to rape your sister? What would you do? thank you for answers, and please excuse my questions

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Dear H - a very good morning ! Hope all is well and life is what it is, unless change is managed.

well life is what we make it :)
May I confer upon you an obligation to carry out as it were, bit of "housekeeping" ? Ishna Ji has started a blog which is pretty much freewill related and we've already one under construction. Taken together with this Spiritual Turban and if consolidated to populate under one roof would save the likes of me lot of migration excursions and help find you all in one hit. Is that possible, if so, I'd be much obliged ?

your asking the wrong person, Adminji is the best person to manage housekeeping, however my own view is that Ishna's blog is just that, her blog, and I would be very annoyed if someone played about with my personal blog. The discussion here I feel is relevant, so I am inclined to leave it here.

Original

Writer
SPNer
Jan 9, 2011
London UK
well life is what we make it :)

your asking the wrong person, Adminji is the best person to manage housekeeping, however my own view is that Ishna's blog is just that, her blog, and I would be very annoyed if someone played about with my personal blog. The discussion here I feel is relevant, so I am inclined to leave it here.
Thank you !

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
My father passed away last year and I was given a turban cloth to pray on. My uncles said it would bring good luck to me.

Does anyone know the meaning to this? How would it accomplish this? What if I lose it?

Singhji80,

Guru Fateh.

Please accept my deepest condolences but the beauty of Sikhi is that death is not about mourning but about celebration because death is the second surest thing after birth and no one can escape from it.

Firstly, there is no prayer per se in SIkhi as in other religions. Prayer in Sikhi is self contemplation and examination. Hence, praying to a turban is one more Hindutva ritual that is forced onto Sikhi.

Secondly, what Bains ji said makes a lot of sense but that is not only the ritual after the Antim Ardas.

When I went back to India in 1985 at the age of 30 after 15 years due to my dad's death, I came to know about another bizarre ritual after Antim Ardaas. I have no idea where it is borrowed from but it does have anti Sikhi rituals and values added to it.

When a father dies, the ritual is that the mum's family would burden all the expenses of the Antim Ardaas ceremony including langar and also will give turbans to all the men in the family. The women get nothing as if they do not play any part.

I was shocked to hear that and demanded its stoppage in this case because it was personal. After a lot of back and forth (I left India at 15, hence my mentality did not jive with some of my relatives'), it was decided that we, the dad's side will pay for everything. After that this very custom has been stopped in our family at least.

The way of celebrating your dad's death is by emulating his good traits which will take you a long way.

Last edited:

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
="Harry Haller, post: 209122, member: 14641"]I understand where you are coming from, I would call it idealism, idealism does not work, realism works, how does the above help when you are confronted with hate? As you are being beaten about the head, the fact that hate is just truth does not really help. As you survey the blood coming out of your nose, it does not seem much of an illusion.

Hi, we all get served our karams no matter what. Its up to us how we react to them. Our Gurus taught us self defence. I wouldn't sit back while a guy tries to rape my sister, and as a female, I wouldnt sit back and let anyone rape me. I would fight back. But I would understand the negative wave which came to attack me in the first place as my karam. Just because a negative comes it doesnt mean we have to sit back and let it take over.

The Gurus who sat calmly on hotplates and tortured did so in Acceptance of Karam. They could have screamed and shouted in anger but they were known to have sat with peace in their hearts. This is what I mean, acceptance means being at peace with karam.

Ok, now we are getting somewhere, so to you, karam means carrying forward sins from one life to another, does it only work from one life to another, or can it work in a single life, ie if I do something to you today, the laws of karam will ensure something happens to me in this life, or the next life?

Yes you can get served karam straight away but its up to Him. When u start on the path of bhagti, you start getting your karams paid back quickly. Hence alot of bhagats have been known to have gone through some exceptionally hard times and pain.

Ok, so God intervenes in life, and also adopts forms?

He doesn't intervene in life, life runs in accordance to the law of karma- Hukam. Hukam is truth. He remains detached but as He is recognised Truth, He also serves karam.

How does this help you, can you share some stories about how this view changes your life? Do you follow this statement yourself? How would you view a man about to rape your sister? What would you do? thank you for answers, and please excuse my questions

A while ago i had the living shit beaten out of me. At the time i reacted in pain and then anger. I was in a situation where I had basically lost everything, family, job, home etc.

I realised eventually that it was God who beat me, he took me away from toxic and negative people and environment and gave me the opportunity to become independant. I realised that it was either sink or fly. I paid off my karams but also realised that it was actually for my own betterment, to make me stronger. I believe that He was trying to beat weakeness out of me. I got a Better paid job than I'd ever had and actually made it on my own from nothing.

So not only can you pay off karams, you can learn valuable life altering lessons from them.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
on that note, as more discussion seems likely, I will concede Originalji's wishes and start a new post, back to topic on this one please

Dalvinder Singh Grewal

Writer
Historian
SPNer
Jan 3, 2010
My father passed away last year and I was given a turban cloth to pray on. My uncles said it would bring good luck to me.

Does anyone know the meaning to this? How would it accomplish this? What if I lose it?
'Rasam Pagdi' is a ritual. It is handing over the responsibilities of the departed to his next legal hair; recognized as such socially. It is also felt that the transfer of pagri bring in good characteristics of the father in son or alternatively it says that son has to be as good if not better as his father in social characteristics. It also increases the value of pagri specially in the hearts of those youth who do not wear turban.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM