• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sorrow Makes You Realize The Unreality Of This World And All Its Relations

Seeker2013

Writer
SPNer
Aug 29, 2013
Nothing forces you to pause and reflect on what you're doing in life than sorrow , dukh !
Nothing forces you to see this fakeness of this relationships (parents, fiance, friends) , how unreal they can be, how fleeting and temporary only when the hard reality slaps on your face and tells you what the guru has been telling you all along but do we listen ?

Dukh forces a person to reframe life , it will reset all your priorities , it forces even the most strongest of all to reevaluate what they have been believing as facts about life and relations in it.
Its as if, all this is unreal and reality is something else altogether !

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
Nothing forces you to pause and reflect on what you're doing in life than sorrow , dukh !
Nothing forces you to see this fakeness of this relationships (parents, fiance, friends) , how unreal they can be, how fleeting and temporary only when the hard reality slaps on your face and tells you what the guru has been telling you all along but do we listen ?

Dukh forces a person to reframe life , it will reset all your priorities , it forces even the most strongest of all to reevaluate what they have been believing as facts about life and relations in it.
Its as if, all this is unreal and reality is something else altogether !

Yes. Some people learn these lessons over and over again, lifetime after lifetime. They don't evaluate or learn the lessons taught and instead react in maya, anger, jealousy and envy, greed and ego.

Learn them once, react in truth and we save yourselves a lot of time. :)

Seeker2013

Writer
SPNer
Aug 29, 2013
Yes. Some people learn these lessons over and over again, lifetime after lifetime. They don't evaluate or learn the lessons taught and instead react in maya, anger, jealousy and envy, greed and ego.

Learn them once, react in truth and we save yourselves a lot of time. :)

In the evening twilight, reading sukhmani sahib paath with so much love and amazement of baani and a few hours later, Kaam, Krodh and Hankaar is back :(
shows where I stand

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
In the evening twilight, reading sukhmani sahib paath with so much love and amazement of baani and a few hours later, Kaam, Krodh and Hankaar is back :(
shows where I stand

Truth is 24/7 service, try and apply Gurbani by remembering the Gyan throughout your everyday life and by living it.

In living it, you become it. Have no fear, and be all loving because it's All Him.

Seeker2013

Writer
SPNer
Aug 29, 2013
Truth is 24/7 service, try and apply Gurbani by remembering the Gyan throughout your everyday life and by living it.

In living it, you become it. Have no fear, and be all loving because it's All Him.
Living baani in practicality is tough isn't it ?
so tough esp with people who make u angry

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
Living baani in practicality is tough isn't it ?
so tough esp with people who make u angry

It's not supposed to be difficult, the path is meant to be uncomplicated, we ourselves make it complicated.

Living in Nirboah and Nirvair are prerequisites for a Bhagat: recognise Him as All and in every action, hence be All Loving and fearless because it's all just Him. React with Love beyond logic, without fear and hate.

Like I said before, be compassionate towards the fools, they know not what they do, bless them to learn the errors of their ways. That's what you can do for a slanderer- what goes around comes around and they'll get their karma back, how else will they learn.

So why get angry? Be at peace- no one can steal your peace from you, it's your choice what state of mind you live. Focus on yourself, not others, their mental illnesses are their own problem not yours.

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
It's not supposed to be difficult, the path is meant to be uncomplicated, we ourselves make it complicated.

Living in Nirboah and Nirvair are prerequisites for a Bhagat: recognise Him as All and in every action, hence be All Loving and fearless because it's all just Him. React with Love beyond logic, without fear and hate.

Like I said before, be compassionate towards the fools, they know not what they do, bless them to learn the errors of their ways. That's what you can do for a slanderer- what goes around comes around and they'll get their karma back, how else will they learn.

So why get angry? Be at peace- no one can steal your peace from you, it's your choice what state of mind you live. Focus on yourself, not others, their mental illnesses are their own problem not yours.
No disrespect but the post feels a bit patronising.. Who is 'I' to see people who don't see the world like me as having mental illness? If sikhi teaches us anything surely it first teaches us to not judge so easily.. The village fool is often the most enlightened?

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK

Ignorance offers peace,?

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016

Pain is an excellent teacher. There is a tendency to always want to chase and maximize pleasure, and minimize pain, and this makes sense. However, when we are faced with pain, we can either deal with it or find many ways to avoid dealing with it.

I have found that exploring pain - which means exploring our inner vulnerabilities, and gaining a deeper understanding of ourselves, can also in turn help to build compassion and empathy towards others.

As you have also alluded to, when things are going smoothly in life and we are just sailing on by, it can lead us to even take things for grated. Pain can then slap us right in the face, shake us up, open our eyes to things we may be unaware of, and as you said, it can give us an opportunity to reevaluate our beliefs - as long as we are open to questioning our mindsets, and using pain as a teacher.

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
Interesting perspective. Any particular examples to further explain?

Dukh offers a perspective but pain and understanding of personal pain can often leads to a type of self wallowing, or hate. Their can be many things that lead to self reflection dukh/sukh. We focus on the dukh but we only need to look at the wonderment of creation. within which both dukh and sukh exists. Dukh indicates what is wrong or what we wish to overcome to find sukh

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
Dukh offers a perspective but pain and understanding of personal pain can often leads to a type of self wallowing, or hate. Their can be many things that lead to self reflection dukh/sukh. We focus on the dukh but we only need to look at the wonderment of creation. within which both dukh and sukh exists. Dukh indicates what is wrong or what we wish to overcome to find sukh

If we use pain as a teacher, learn from it, and then detach ourselves form it, then it does not have to lead to self-wallowing or hate. We can choose to interpret things how we wish.

Looking at the wonderment of creation is also a valid point. It can also be empowering! And I think when you said -"Dukh indicates what is wrong or what we wish to overcome to find sukh" - this ties it all nicely together.

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
No disrespect but the post feels a bit patronising.. Who is 'I' to see people who don't see the world like me as having mental illness? If sikhi teaches us anything surely it first teaches us to not judge so easily.. The village fool is often the most enlightened?

Truth is the dispeller of ignorance. You recognise fools for want they are in the khel, remain wise to maya.

But of course, above all, we Always remember the laws of Nirboah and Nirvair, no fear or enmity, being All Loving for all is Him. So we bow to every darshan He comes to us in, including maya. Losing sight of Nirboah and Nirvair, we are lost.

Fools are fools due to ego, we drop the ego and we realise we're Nothing. Being attached to ego is a mental illness, that's what delusion is, and Gurbani speaks of the world being deluded by the illusion.

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
Being attached to ego is a mental illness, that's what delusion is

It is important to understand and recognize that what we may call a "mental illness" and "delusion" when we speak spirituality, is different from what a mental illness is from a medical/psychiatric perspective. Someone with an actual diagnosable mental illness (e.g.: schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, major depressive disorder, etc.) is not someone simply choosing to be attached to ego. A mental illness is a disorder of the brain, which can cause dysfunction in one's thinking and behaviour. Just like lung cancer will result in dysfunction of the lungs and interfere with the lung's ability to perform its function (e.g.: breathing) properly.

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
If we use pain as a teacher, learn from it, and then detach ourselves form it, then it does not have to lead to self-wallowing or hate. We can choose to interpret things how we wish.

Looking at the wonderment of creation is also a valid point. It can also be empowering! And I think when you said -"Dukh indicates what is wrong or what we wish to overcome to find sukh" - this ties it all nicely together.

Self wallowing was probably a bit strong!
I suppose what I am trying to articulate is that as individuals and especially as a community when we look at dukh we often become very introspective to the point that we become wedded to "injustices" which then come to become defining characteristics.. The sikh community has endured many injustices. But I feel we should be defined by a "chardi kala" attitude. Dukh should remind us of our humanity and how regardless of who you are it something we share with all people

RD1

Writer
SPNer
Sep 25, 2016
Self wallowing was probably a bit strong!
I suppose what I am trying to articulate is that as individuals and especially as a community when we look at dukh we often become very introspective to the point that we become wedded to "injustices" which then come to become defining characteristics..

This is a very interesting take on it. Its very true, when we introspect regarding dukh, the idea of injustice does come to mind. I guess at this point we have to decide what to do about that - fixate on the injustices or on how life may appear "unfair," or we use this to empower use to overcome injustice, to detach from the dukh

Dukh should remind us of our humanity and how regardless of who you are it something we share with all people

Another interesting perspective! Duke (and Sukh) are universally shared by all people, and just remembering this allows us to "humanize" others and ourselves, and can lead to greater understanding of each other, and greater compassion.

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK
This is a very interesting take on it. Its very true, when we introspect regarding dukh, the idea of injustice does come to mind. I guess at this point we have to decide what to do about that - fixate on the injustices or on how life may appear "unfair," or we use this to empower use to overcome injustice, to detach from the dukh

Another interesting perspective! Duke (and Sukh) are universally shared by all people, and just remembering this allows us to "humanize" others and ourselves, and can lead to greater understanding of each other, and greater compassion.
I agree and that's why I think chardi kala is a important concept. Because it reminds us that however bad we think things are for ourselves we must think about others.. We as individuals do not have a monopoly on Dukh. It reminds us why in a practical sense the importance of kirat karoo, that if we forget about humanity we forget about sarbat da balla.

sukhsingh

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012
UK

I believe that Whilst khoj is central to a 'sikhs' journey and the search for truth is the definition of khoj, challenging ones, beliefs, challenging ones prejudices it is only useful in conjunction when one does not lose sight of the fact we live in a society. Else we may as well go live in a cave and meditate. For me the desire of khoj is evidence of gur-prasad?

Sikhilove

Writer
SPNer
May 11, 2016
I agree and that's why I think chardi kala is a important concept. Because it reminds us that however bad we think things are for ourselves we must think about others.. We as individuals do not have a monopoly on Dukh. It reminds us why in a practical sense the importance of kirat karoo, that if we forget about humanity we forget about sarbat da balla.

As well as the fact that Gurbani teaches us that pain is the medicine and pleasure is the disease for in pleasure, one rarely thinks of God.

Loved the bit about pain leading to compassion for others.

This is a bit off topic but I have a friend who once told me about someone really spiritually gifted. He said the way this woman became so gifted at lived at such a high frequency was that every time she saw someone mistreating/ hurting someone else she made a vow to herself that she would never do the same thing.

A king could be a beggar in the next life and a beggar a King, it shows that we are all equal and should never look down on a soul less fortunate. We're all the same, we're just where we've been put.

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM