• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Some Observations

tantrix

SPNer
May 31, 2006
Firstly, I just joined these forums -- seem like a good place for a young sikh like myself to get some pointers -- and to get some heard.

I would like to comment on all these latest posts floating around -- again.. this is MY opinion.

All these posts about hair (the most popular), dating, makeup, jewelry, marrying girls with beards, confused youth..

One point to youths -- Why ask these questions?

I know that there's always a guilt in the heart to confirm what we do is backed up by authority... but in this case, it's never the case. What authority are we looking up to over here?

No offense to anyone, but let me give you an example. My grandfather is highly respected in our town's sikh community (back in india). He's strongly against all of the things said above, and more (like coloring hair ) with the reason that the guru's never wanted us to stray from the "natural" form.

What is the natural form? He spends two hours every morning setting his beard. Is that the natural form. I don't intend to use him as a bad example, but only because he's respected in the community. I spend the same time doing the same every morning. Is it really natural? I posted this question to my dad and he replied.. well.. it's easier than shaving every day.. not true!

I think everything we do in our daily lives has to be "accepted" in our culture. Another example is if a sikh girl threads her eyebrows, waxes her legs, wears a perfume (all "unnatural" things), society doesn't care, but if she trims the bottom of her hair, HA bring on the religious police!

Why are we so idiotic in these issues? Religion is a matter of faith.. and nothing else. There are no benchmarks for faith. No substitutes for believing in whatever you believe. You wouldn't be a good human/sikh by staying in the prescribed "natural" state. You'll probably be better off being the best you can, in the environment you're living in.

So all these posts generate a lot of traffic, but do they really mean anything? People will probably change their daily actions according to their surroundings, but does that have to affect their faith.

just on my personal beliefs.. I don't believe in god. Just too easy of a term. Just too easy to say "Oh this happened because it was in the divine plan!" The whole idea of a "superior" power comes from fear and guilt. fear of something stronger, and that's why we think of something all-powerful who's on our side :) and guilt of who we are.. humans. Guilt of our human actions.. hunger, sex, monetary desires, love.. That's my personal opinion. I still didn't cut my hair/ wear a turban as a respect for my parents/family. Also, it's not too bad. It's my identity. And I like to keep it that way.. instead of following rules blindly which other people made up.. and now even stranger people are changing day by day.

Tantrix

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Tantrix

Welcome to the forum !

YOur observations are quite admirable

I would like to agree with you on most of the points the main being the religion is more about faith , very right

Now the example you have given about your grandfather

I would like to comment on it ,
In general terms it is not advisable as in sikh rehat marayada to color your kesh
Now the reason behind is exactly the same as you are mention to help develop faith
Accepting a grey beard at certain age of your life is quite natural and healthy for you Psychology ( to be scientific) and the act of denying the fact that one is becoming old and hiding it with coloration ( this could also be due to many other things like personal pride , personal ego that somebody want to mantain )is what which can barrier in making your faith strong in the god and its will ,or in other way it just becoming fully aware of reality in present , So this is just a tool that might help you in telling yourself how much faith you have developed toward your creater.

About spending 2 Hours on your beard .Well I dont know whether you are serious in saying that it is really 2 hours . Taking my own example I am doctor by profession so as part of job I might need to tie my beard while on work and it has never taken me more than 15 minutes
But the same thing ( tying a beard ) could also become source of pride and ego glorification but still the main pupose as I think is just to take care of your beard and not a fashion statement

I agree with you fully that in mordern days we see people condeming the their girls for various thing including hair removal that is inapropiate as it is forced maryada

Marayada in real sense is the expression of a chradikala /spirtually elevated Singh and not the copy cat expresion of a clown where outside you carry marayada and inside you are cursing you r forefather for making it so

As I believe Any body who follows sikh faith should follow the marayda to the extend he could understand , relate with his faith in god other wise it just remain a symbol

Jatinder Singh

May 16, 2005
Vernon, BC Canada
Dear Tantrix...

What "culture" are you refering too? cause there are several cultures represented here on the forums...

And yes we do tend to get all picky and heated about meat, hair, and rehats but we do it cause we ask questions and challenge the status quo...

it's good to do that if they events, rituals and acts look off or out of place.

tantrix

SPNer
May 31, 2006
What's the point though? The culture I'm referring to is anyone who's from India, anyone who thinks that if they can get confirmations from their actions, it makes it right.

and drsahib -- It does take my grandfather 2 hours. Takes my father atleast an hour just to tie and dry his beard. Takes me 15-30 mins as I use a hairdryer.

That's not even the point. What I'm trying to get to is.. that it's just a waste of time trying to get our lives straight by posting on these forums.. as that's not the intentions of this religion anyway. Let me talk some religious-y language now. How can we judge the actions of others, when we are not pure ourselves? I honestly believe that either noone or everyone have the right to judge others.. meaning either noone comments on my life -- noone's worthy.. or everyone should be able to.

I choose which people can comment on my habits.. and those people are the ones very close to me. Not strangers on a website.

drkhalsa

SPNer
Sep 16, 2004
Dear Tantrix

Someyjing really went wrong there . You seems to be upset by my post I think

Believe me it was not my intention to do in any way so read my reply again and found that there might something that was justing confusing language and nothing written toward your personal life And may the following Sentece of mine created the confusion

Marayada in real sense is the expression of a chradikala /spirtually elevated Singh and not the copy cat expresion of a clown where outside you carry marayada and inside you are cursing you r forefather for making it so

It was written in general sense and not in your context and by word forefatger I meant to the people whp made Marayada and no body in ur Life

I think I is my mistake for using confusing language and making whole issue quite painful and I am really Sorry with my Folded hands and I hope you will forgive me for that .

While writing post I never tried to be judgemental Infact all that I have written applies more to me than anybody else as I know my shortcomings in day to day life including marayada and so was trying to share my problems with everybody but nothin I wrote advising you about something as rightly pointed I am not worth it!

I hope I made myself clear this time and Sorry for the mistake

Jatinder Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: