• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Christianity So What Does The Bible Tell Us ?

Seeker9

Cleverness is not wisdom
SPNer
May 2, 2010
UK
Bible bashing is easy. I could sit here all day and do it with great glee.

However, I wonder if it is useful? I am taught, as a Sikh, to respect all other religions. The Bible also has some beautiful uplifting passages, especially in the Psalms.

Those of you who know me might be surprised at my saying these things. I have a sort of ongoing battle with my medical caregiver, Irene, who is a Bible-thumping, spirit-filled, born-again evangelising Christian and I have shared some of her (to me) idiotic notions with my friends here at SPN.

I have refrained from answering her question as to why I do not accept her Bible and her religion because to do so, I would have to say things she would find highly offensive, even blasphemous. My religion teaches me I must show respect to other religions (even if I don't feel it).

Sorry if I sound sanctimonious; I just think we need a little balance here.

Dear Mai Ji

I appreciate your post

As I have said a number of times, including in the second post on this thread, I do actually respect the Bible and believe it does contain great spiritual wisdom for those who look for it with an open mind and are prepared to look past a lot of surface cultural dross that others have quoted on this thread

I am pleased that others on this thread have also noted some similarities between Biblical scriptures and Sikh scriptures

Just goes to show there's much more to it than first meets the eye....

Sep 27, 2008
England
SSA.
Thankyou Polpol Ji. I know there are plenty of nice uplifting words in the bible but that is not my point. The amount of millions of people that have been killed and nations wiped of this planet under the words of the bible where they say Jesus is the only way and there is no other way. Even today we have Christians waiting for the rapture and they do not care how many babies, women and innocent folk they kill in the process example palestine.
We all have our own way of thinking but i am sorry when innocent babies, women and children are involved then i will speak out. Yes it might sound like bashing but the truth is always the truth. Maybe if those awful henious crimes happened to us in the name of religion we might see it in a different view. I have a lot of christian friends and yes they are not all fanatical but the views are all the same. I will comment no more on this topic i have clearly made my point and i need no replies as i have made my point and do not further wish to offend or bash. thankyou. Narinder Singh

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2008
England
Sorry Polpol Ji, yips the thankyou was certainly for you for your previous lovely post, but my whole post was written in general for everyone. I just wanted to clear it up before you thought what the hell is he on about lol.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Although similar things are written in many scriptures but if they all claim to be the only way then the same similarities become differences and the gorges become deeper and wider than the Grand Canyon.

Tejwant Singh Ji,
I am glad there are those like you who can figure out the differences. It is a great place to learn and up-date one's self.

Thank you, SPN Mentors.

polpol

SPNer
Jun 14, 2010
Bible bashing is easy. I could sit here all day and do it with great glee.

However, I wonder if it is useful? I am taught, as a Sikh, to respect all other religions. The Bible also has some beautiful uplifting passages, especially in the Psalms.

Those of you who know me might be surprised at my saying these things. I have a sort of ongoing battle with my medical caregiver, Irene, who is a Bible-thumping, spirit-filled, born-again evangelising Christian and I have shared some of her (to me) idiotic notions with my friends here at SPN.

I have refrained from answering her question as to why I do not accept her Bible and her religion because to do so, I would have to say things she would find highly offensive, even blasphemous. My religion teaches me I must show respect to other religions (even if I don't feel it).

Sorry if I sound sanctimonious; I just think we need a little balance here.

I am so sorry Mai for upseting you with bible bashing...but, but...I feel like a child, I want to yell out "He started it!" It's not the Bible, it's not even Christians in general, it's the proselysing that makes us go nuts. Our friend Kairo is at it again and Narayanjot is soooooo patient. Mai please do something...I'm joking. I must say when I was young the Catholic nuns made a great impression on me. Before them, the only role models I had were women on high heels, sexy dresses, etc. The nuns were my first feminist role models, ironically. Sorry and thanks for your thoughts.

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
I am so sorry Mai for upseting you with bible bashing...but, but...I feel like a child, I want to yell out "He started it!" It's not the Bible, it's not even Christians in general, it's the proselytizing that makes us go nuts. Our friend Kairo is at it again and Narayanjot is soooooo patient. Mai please do something...I'm joking. I must say when I was young the Catholic nuns made a great impression on me. Before them, the only role models I had were women on high heels, sexy dresses, etc. The nuns were my first feminist role models, ironically. Sorry and thanks for your thoughts.

Polpol ji,

Please, there is no need to feel sorry. I assure you that proselytising annoys me as much as you. I've actually become quite skilled at sparring with them. Even the Jehovah's Witnesses have given up on me. I won't comment on Narayanjot beyond saying she's well on her way to becoming a sant, something I will never qualify for.

I do think anyone here in the Sikh forum proselytising ought to be chastised and, if not cooperating, to be suspended. This is a Sikh forum and I come here to be a Sikh, not a potential fish for some Christian. (I love fish a lot, I would love to come back as one in the sacred sarovar in Amritsar, I just don't want to be seen as a potential Christian fish. :fish:)

I have known some pretty cool nuns, believe it or not. Nowadays - as opposed to the 1960s when I was having it shoved down my throat - RCs are pretty easy to get along with, for the most part. If you read that piece The Day I Became A Sikh, you know I am quite capable of bashing when it becomes necessary. Even there, it is bad manners at best, and I have to wonder if I would do it in front of Guru Gobind Singh ji.

In any case, I don't dislike disagreement. As long as we remain civil - not easy for many Punjabis, I'm afraid - it makes life more interesting and fun. (I'm half Punjabi; I'm allowed a bit of Punjabi bashing. And don't get me going on the French. I'm 37.5% French, so I'm allowed there, as well.)

I also believe that a sense of humour and a nice cup of tea will solve about 95% of the troubles amongst people. :rofl!!: A nice hug sometimes helps, too.kaurhug

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM