• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Singh Is Kinng - A Review

Overall I thought the film was very funny and was very positive for Sikh's and a much much better advert for Sikh's than Jo Bole So Nihal. We as a community should get behind the film and distance ourself from groups like DDT (who are quite frankly clueless).

• It was not a religious film
  • It did not pretend to be a religious film

Then why put in lines like I will be a Sikh when I go back to India or remember what Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji said…… Tell you the truth, no beating around the bush; some people just can’t handle the truth and just use excuses to avoid the issues. Also you forgot to mention the drinking as a negative, but it probably just slipped your mind.

the main hero was Sikh but not a religious one

this line makes no sense. How in the world can you be a Sikh and not religious. What does one follow to be a Sikh but not religious? Me Myself and I.

• the main hero infact brings them back on to the Sikh path - which does not mean necessarily being Amritdhari.

First, you say it shows Sikhs as positive but trying to say its not religious then the main hero was Sikh then the main hero brings them back on Sikh path then not religious and not pretending to be religious, which is it man? Your like a coin, two sided.

Groups like AKJ, GNSSJ, DDT etc etc already have combined Sikhism with vaishnavism. If the film showed that then it no different to how people already behave.

So what are you getting at? Let the misrepresentation of Sikhs go on.

Define a true Sikh?

True Sikh accorsing to the AKJ? True Sikh according to the GNNSJ? or a Sikh according to the Sikh rehat maryada?

In any case there is a disclaimer at the beginning that states this is not a religious film. These people just happen to be Sikh.

The one given my Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji and Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji.

99.99999% of Sikhs are happy with the film. Just a few loony tunes are not!

Right, well 99.99999% of the Sikhs are unhappy with the film. Just a few unknowledgeable ones are satisfied.

Even Sikhs cannot agree as to how a Sikh woman should dress. Turban , no turban etc etc.

Lol Surely not the scantily clad way. And if you don’t agree to this then you really need to get your facts straight.

I think your comments are a bit over the top and a bit extreme. What have sex scenes got to do with with dancing.
Show's Sikh criminal activity - however this has been so true in London, Vancouver

This is what you said and how you tried to justify the criminal activities shown in the movie. You said Sikhs are active in criminal activity and I said the same thing Sikhs have sex so they should have a sex scene in there. And I never said sex scenes got anything to do with dancing your just pulling things out of the blue here.

In any case there is a disclaimer at the beginning that states this is not a religious film. These people just happen to be Sikh.

Don’t you just find that odd that they just happened to be Sikhs? Once again people try to define it as not a religious film but say Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji’s name and show the Harmindar Sahib at the end of the movie. It just doesn’t add up.

Guess what, Singh's do drink, and copiously.

As for scantily dressed women, I never really noticed them, but I do see them all the time in the Summer here in the UK and it really does not bother me. It does not cause me to have sexual urges. It does not cauuse me to think lesser of that woman. I accept and move on.

You’re not seeing the picture here or just avoiding it. It’s surprising how you notice them in the summer, but not in this movie. I wonder why Lol This is not of what you think of women in general it is about how bollywood purposely, let me say this again PURPOSELY misrepresents Sikhs for their own needs and agenda.

This is not a religious film and does not pretend to be, in fact it talks about how Sikh's have lost their way in many scenes.

Not religious! Interesting statement when you first state not religious then in the last half of the sentence you talk about how the movie states that Sikh’s have lost their way. Which way is this? I guess they are talking about the Sikh religion way; called Sikhism. This is a religion that Sikhs follow. Once again the movie’s disclaimer and your views just don’t add up to follow the statement that it is not a religious film.

It's not a religious film so how? It does not pretend to say anything about Sikhi so how?

I have already explained this many times jus read my post about drinking etc.

Newsflas....Sikh's drink!

Sikhiflas…. Sikh’s don’t drink.

I don't think people are so ficle as to think your average designer bearded, starched pugged Singh walking down Soho Road represents religious Sikhism.

Have you seen what people around the world are following these days? Movie actors and actresses, they dress and act like them. So I think you should pick your head up and take a long look around when you are in the city.

Actually I replied to your very very sarcastic response, and it was very extreme

I responded to your comprising and avoiding the issue positive and negative post about the movie. Yeah my response was sarcastic, but it held truth to it.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Then why put in lines like I will be a Sikh when I go back to India or remember what Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji said…… Tell you the truth, no beating around the bush; some people just can’t handle the truth and just use excuses to avoid the issues. Also you forgot to mention the drinking as a negative, but it probably just slipped your mind.

My cousins are Sikh...proudly call themselves Sikh and they are not religious.

this line makes no sense. How in the world can you be a Sikh and not religious. What does one follow to be a Sikh but not religious? Me Myself and I.

Ofcourse you can. You cannot stop someone calling themselves Sikh if they do not practice every element of the religion.

First, you say it shows Sikhs as positive but trying to say its not religious then the main hero was Sikh then the main hero brings them back on Sikh path then not religious and not pretending to be religious, which is it man? Your like a coin, two sided.

The coin is not two sided. The protagonaist is not overtly religious, but brings them back to the path of Sikhi. Does not mean that he himself practises every single minute detail of Sikhi, but practices the main values....just like my cousins.

So what are you getting at? Let the misrepresentation of Sikhs go on.

Not at all....just point out a fact...you cannot have your cake and eat it.

The one given my Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji and Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji.

Please define that.

Right, well 99.99999% of the Sikhs are unhappy with the film. Just a few unknowledgeable ones are satisfied.

So where are the mass demo's? Where is the million man march? :p

99.999% are not unhappy.......just a loony tune minority.....and these loonies tend to be ones who think they have a monopoly on the Sikh faith. They do not.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
This is what you said and how you tried to justify the criminal activities shown in the movie. You said Sikhs are active in criminal activity and I said the same thing Sikhs have sex so they should have a sex scene in there. And I never said sex scenes got anything to do with dancing your just pulling things out of the blue here.

No one is justifying criminality and please post where I have justified it?

The message of the film is a wholesale condemnation of criminality.

You equated scantily clad women with sex - that shows your problem with Kaam, not the scantily clad women.

Don’t you just find that odd that they just happened to be Sikhs? Once again people try to define it as not a religious film but say Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji’s name and show the Harmindar Sahib at the end of the movie. It just doesn’t add up.

Whether you like it or not, many millions of Sikh's do not define themselves as Sikh according to your parameters (or according to the Rehat Maryada). Many drink, and still have alliegance to the Guru's and the Sikh faith. Many have picture of Harmandhir Sahib.

You’re not seeing the picture here or just avoiding it. It’s surprising how you notice them in the summer, but not in this movie. I wonder why Lol This is not of what you think of women in general it is about how bollywood purposely, let me say this again PURPOSELY misrepresents Sikhs for their own needs and agenda.

Because I do not agree with extreme points of view it does not mean I am avoiding anything.

No sorry mate, people like YOU notice scantily clad women, and people of YOUR type have a problem with Kaam. I just move on.

Most of Bollywood misrepresents Sikh's agreed....this film does not. Neither do films like Lakshya, or Border.

Not religious! Interesting statement when you first state not religious then in the last half of the sentence you talk about how the movie states that Sikh’s have lost their way. Which way is this? I guess they are talking about the Sikh religion way; called Sikhism. This is a religion that Sikhs follow. Once again the movie’s disclaimer and your views just don’t add up to follow the statement that it is not a religious film.

Because people do not follow Sikhism to the nth degree does not mean they are not a Sikh. If they follow the basic doctrines then they can define themselves as Sikh. Neither you or any extremist can stop a person calling themselves Sikh.

Sikhiflas…. Sikh’s don’t drink.

What is Sikhflas? Is that when a a Sikh exposes himself :u):?

Honestly, what planet do people like you live on? Are you telling me that your average starched pugged, trimmed beared Sikh does not drink? If you are then you live on a different planet. .................and please do not start moralisiing about how these people cannot call themselves Sikh if they do not follow every little last detail.

Have you seen what people around the world are following these days? Movie actors and actresses, they dress and act like them. So I think you should pick your head up and take a long look around when you are in the city.

I don't and people with half a braincell don't. If people do not even have this half a braincell, they they are not worthy of being a Sikh.

I responded to your comprising and avoiding the issue positive and negative post about the movie. Yeah my response was sarcastic, but it held truth to it.

Sorry ...no Truth, just your moralistic view of Sikhi and how Sikhi should be portrayed. You want evryone to move to the the beat of one drum (in this case Sikhs). The reality is we are diverse as the stars in the Sky. All stars but shine to varying degrees, and YOU cannot by your narrow definitions say what is not a star and what is not because one star shines less brightly.

Regards

PS Sarcasm is the lowest form of humour, that is why I used it sparingly. :crazy:

mehar singh

SPNer
Jun 17, 2006
Dear Sirs,
I was reading your post just a few comments about sikhi.Firstly none of are sikhs.We are trying to become sikhs.Guru Arjan Dev ji only became a sikh when the sangat blessed him with sikhi.I am sure you know the sakhi.However we have to preserve the sikhi way as much as we know about it.Today everyone says Our Guru is Sri Guru granth Sahib Ji And The ten Gurus.Tell me Mr Randip Singh Ji if guru Gobind Singh is here They are here in the form of Guru Granth Sahib ji would they be laughing at the mvie .You will tell me if they were here alot of things would be diffrent but my dear freind they are here and we still are unafraid of consequences of our deeds.Unfortunately we so call sikh have lost the fear of them.so we try to justify all of these offensive things to our dharam to be ok because most of us do not take the responsibility for it.You might say religeon is not about being scared of god but loving god but my dearsir,Our gurbani is always telling us to be wary of our deeds.
Coming back to singh is king.Today most of the ppl who posted on the sight say this is the funniest movie of all.all of them say why are you being so critical about it .My dear sirs when a personality like Akshay kumar portray a sardar all the younger generations tend to follow.if you had a son who kept his hair and his beard and one day he comes and tell you meri mojboori eh akshay wargay i had to shave my beard what would you say to him while you yourself approved the movie .he later when i am 35 years old i will keep my beard again ????.Imagine how many young people because of this movie are going to say it is ok to shave now and keep later in life .my Guru not here so why schould i keep a beard.Dear Randip Singh ji our Guru is here in the form of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji Is just we have lost the fear of THEM.Guru Gobind Singh Threw All The Massand IN boiling water for betraying THem.'Sada haal Ki hona eh" if we cant even listen to one of their bachan to keep our hair.Sikhi bacaho.We are sinking and movies like these only contribute to load.
Regards
Mehar singh
P.S.
I kow you are going to say i am a fanatic but i am not i am just reminding everyone "Sikhi Bachao"to all sikhs These are difiicult times for our religeon we all must realize this .for your next generation and generation to come.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Guru Piayario Jio,
Mehar Singh Ji....
NO...I wont call you a Fanatic....you have valid concerns...just a little misplaced...maybe.
Thousands of Sikh Youth ( and not so youth !!) have cut hair/removed dastaars/gone big time into drugs/alcoholism...long long before any such "movies" influenced them....Many I know personally have never stepped foot into a cinema showing "Bollywood" films ( they are such low class/standard fare)...they had Gursikh parents..went to Punajbi school..religious classes..gurdwara etc etc..and still cut hair....when they got the chance..one Doctor friend of mine cut his hair at age 60..he always wnated to..and now with one foot in the grave..he decided to...what the heck..let me do what I WANT..for once without feeling :"guilty" about other sikhs/samaaj/family etc etc etc..was his answer !! He used to cut his son's hair ( only in the MIDDLE - excuse..joorra too big....too huge...very hard to comb etc..and wehn the son grew up teenager..he went ahead and removed the entire joorra !!..AND the 60 year old DADDY FOLLOWED SUIT !! They have a SGGS at home and used to do kiratn paath etc etc... BOTH have never seen a single bollywood film..they despise these !! On the other hand i have soem DIE HARD Fans of Bollywood films..who watch each and every film..many many times..yet have Full Dastaars and are amrtidharees
My point ?? Lots of people have lots of different reasons....for doing what they do..we just cannot generalise....I have learnt NOT TO...
Regards

Gyani JS:happy:

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
Why we are always blaming others? Look at our own lives. Children witness hypocrisy being practiced every day in homes and in Gurdawaras as well, why only appearance has been credited to be validity of Sikhi, what about" Karni, rehni"? Become examples, children will follow.
I remember Eddie Murphy's comments on black community. He, being black, just tried to explain black community to work hard to raise children to be better and stop blaming whites for every fall they take. Black community as a whole blamed him to be " lover of whites" because the truth he expressed was hard to swallow.

Why we are always blaming others? Look at our own lives. Children witness hypocrisy being practiced every day in homes and in Gurdawaras as well, why only appearance has been credited to be validity of Sikhi, what about" Karni, rehni"? Become examples, children will follow.
I remember Eddie Murphy's comments on black community. He, being black, just tried to explain black community to work hard to raise children to be better and stop blaming whites for every fall they take. Black community as a whole blamed him to be " lover of whites" because the truth he expressed was hard to swallow.

i am not blaming others but bollywood contribute to the problem and in a big way. To help the youth we have to take everything into consideration and see which factors hurt them the most and help in that area first.

For the love of God. It is just a film. Just accept it as such and move on.:inca:

Before i do this, here's two things i would like to point out

No one is justifying criminality and please post where I have justified it?

Show's Sikh criminal activity - however this has been so true in London, Vancouver

Here you are trying to reason with yourself. Trying to make a wrongful act look neutral. Also you are trying to justifying the criminal activity in the movie to the reader that it was alright to put this scene in the movie because Sikhs commit criminal activities. You knew it was a negative but still trying to make it neutral or even a positive to influence others that they did nothing wrong in the movie.

You equated scantily clad women with sex - that shows your problem with Kaam, not the scantily clad women.

Here’s what I said again.
Really out of the box woman dancing half naked we all know Sikh girls perfer to dress this way now. Right Randip. They only forgot one thing in the movie a sex scene because Sikhs have sex as well. OOOO man why didnt they put one in.

I am saying some Sikh girls dress in an inappropriate manner. And Sikhs have sex. The dressing and have sex are not being related at all. They are separate only equals are they both are Sikhs. You have said Sikhs commit crimes so yeah there is nothing wrong with showing them as this. So then I added Sikhs have sex as well they should have added a scene in the movie. I am just showing you this is your reasoning about these statements about the movie and how it doesn’t hold up so you or others cannot rule it out as a neutral or positive statement.

Niku 38

SPNer
Aug 6, 2006
I have been watching bollywodd movies for over 30yrs, and this is the first time ever that the sikhs have been portayed positively and still sustaining a somewhat religious point. Over all the film was excellent and Akshay kumar should be praised for a fantastic effort. Before "singh is kinng", sikhs alway had small comedy or villain parts, but for the first time a sardar withe a propper "pagg" is the lead. Ok , some of the turbans were a little false, but that was to show how he had cut his beard to become "king", but as Akshay says, has soon has he gets back to punjab, he will become a sardar again, which is true of some sikhs in UK & others.
Being a sardar myslef I am so gratefull that finally have a mainstream Bollywood film shows sikhs in a very positive light. Go and see it and have a laugh.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM