• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Singh Is Kinng - A Review

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Now having seen the film I though I would compile a series of negatives and positives about the film:

Positive

• Show's Sikhs and quite Jovial
  • Show's Sikhs as leaders
  • Show's Sikh's at their smartest
  • Show's Sikh's when they get angry (can be negative)
  • Show's Sikh as a leading man and gets the leading lady over a Mona
  • Show's Sikh as very handsome
  • Show's Sikh ideal that people can be rahabilitated despite commiting crime(Guru Nanak started this)
  • Show's various Sikh charachters, rather than dancing buffoons in turban i.e. there all Sikh's are not the same, we are people and human's.
  • Demonstartes Sikh ideal, compassion, kindness etc
Negative

• Show's Sikh criminal activity - however this has been so true in London, Vancouver
  • Sikh's with trimmed beard's - but so many do it, could be argued either way
  • Show's Sikh's side with regard to revenge
  • Show's how violent Sikh's can get. (might be seen as positive by some ;) )
Overall I thought the film was very funny and was very positive for Sikh's and a much much better advert for Sikh's than Jo Bole So Nihal. We as a community should get behind the film and distance ourself from groups like DDT (who are quite frankly clueless).

Singh is Kinng' show disrupted in Amritsar
http://www.loudbeats.com/news-detail.php?nid=385
by loudbeats 12 days ago (loudbeats.com)
Source: Loud Beats™ ( www.loudbeats.com )
The first show of much-hyped Hindi film ‘Singh is Kinng’ was disrupted Friday at a cinema hall here after protests by Sikh activists.
The Sikh activists vandalised the NM cinema hall and damaged property, protesting against the Sikh community being projected ‘in a negative way’ in the film starring Akshay Kumar, who is portraying a turbaned Sikh youth, and Katrina Kaif.
Police personnel were rushed to the cinema hall to control the situation.
The call for the Sikh protest against the movie was given Thursday by radical Sikh organisation Damdami Taksal.
The film was released in theatres and multiplexes across India Friday.
The Punjab police tightened security at cinema halls and multiplexes screening the film, across the state, in view of reports that some Sikh organisations could protest against it.
However, no reports of the film being disrupted were received from other places in the state till early Friday afternoon.
Though the Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Management Committee (DSGMC) Thursday gave its go ahead to the film after it was reviewed by a committee, certain Punjab-based Sikh bodies are opposed to the film.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 26, 2006
Thank you Randip veerji for your view:happy: ..this convinces me to watch the movie..i saw the DDT protesting and thought ..there goes Bollywood again! they must have cracked some PJ on sikhs and DDT is frustrated..Well should we take DDT for a show then ?? Man ..can we teach DDT to smile ..laugh and be natural ..these are some things in life ..they need to learn ..

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
Now having seen the film I though I would compile a series of negatives and positives about the film:

Positive

• Show's Sikhs and quite Jovial
  • Show's Sikhs as leaders
  • Show's Sikh's at their smartest
  • Show's Sikh's when they get angry (can be negative)
  • Show's Sikh as a leading man and gets the leading lady over a Mona
  • Show's Sikh as very handsome
  • Show's Sikh ideal that people can be rahabilitated despite commiting crime(Guru Nanak started this)
  • Show's various Sikh charachters, rather than dancing buffoons in turban i.e. there all Sikh's are not the same, we are people and human's.
  • Demonstartes Sikh ideal, compassion, kindness etc
Negative

• Show's Sikh criminal activity - however this has been so true in London, Vancouver
  • Sikh's with trimmed beard's - but so many do it, could be argued either way
  • Show's Sikh's side with regard to revenge
  • Show's how violent Sikh's can get. (might be seen as positive by some ;) )
Overall I thought the film was very funny and was very positive for Sikh's and a much much better advert for Sikh's than Jo Bole So Nihal. We as a community should get behind the film and distance ourself from groups like DDT (who are quite frankly clueless).
Good stuff! Actually, I was thinking of starting a thread on that movie.
I for one enjoyed it! It's not your typical bollywood movie.
and about: Sikh's with trimmed beard's - but so many do it, could be argued either way
They did try to fix that at the end, and I do appreciate their effort.

Show's Sikh criminal activity - however this has been so true in London, Vancouver
I don't think this is a negative thing. Sikhs were criminals back in the 18th century. :D
It shows our bad side! Which I think appeals to more people today than the good side. That goes for :
Show's how violent Sikh's can get. (might be seen as positive by some ;) ) I am one of those. :yes:

What I didn't like about the movie was that it was too short!:D Serious!:yes:
They squeezed the plot together after the first half. This movie could have easily been 3-4 hours long. It was sort of a jumble as well, since Mica suddenly became a major character and Rangeela (major character) was pushed to back.
Personally, I was expecting more action from Akshay when he became king, along the lines of "DON". But nonetheless, it was an amazing movie. A big step in the right direction.

OH And you have to agree, the songs were amazing!:happy:

Jaspreet08

SPNer
Feb 1, 2008
I'm kinda glad to this review as well. I read quite a nasty review on MrSikhNet.com by an Amritdhari person. I'm gonna this movie now, and make my own mind.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
I'm kinda glad to this review as well. I read quite a nasty review on MrSikhNet.com by an Amritdhari person. I'm gonna this movie now, and make my own mind.

GO....I went TWICE (once to the Cinema..and then on my computer !!) had a good laugh...met some of the Local DDT there as well !! ( so maybe the Malaysian DDT's are not as "fanatic" as their Indian counterparts ?? maybe....because they were watching and laughing away instead of vandlaising the cinema..????)

If you feel the Akshay Type "Singh is not King enough....make sure YOU are the TRUE KING/SINGH..and make others follow YOUR EXAMPLE !! vandalising cinemas is NOT the WAY....PRACTISE TRUE SINGHI/KINGHI....is the way...

As PK70 said..its good to get out of the Box once in a while..

Gyani JS:happy:

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
GO....I went TWICE (once to the Cinema..and then on my computer !!) had a good laugh...met some of the Local DDT there as well !! ( so maybe the Malaysian DDT's are not as "fanatic" as their Indian counterparts ?? maybe....because they were watching and laughing away instead of vandlaising the cinema..????)

If you feel the Akshay Type "Singh is not King enough....make sure YOU are the TRUE KING/SINGH..and make others follow YOUR EXAMPLE !! vandalising cinemas is NOT the WAY....PRACTISE TRUE SINGHI/KINGHI....is the way...

As PK70 said..its good to get out of the Box once in a while..

Now i understand wut Pk ji meant, thanks lol! :}{}{}:

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
One thing that did come through was the message of the Guru's. I think several times Akshay says in the film that the guys from Australia have abandoned the path of the Guru.

I couldn't understand why the Pugh style changes from Punjab to Australia, and then I realised it was done to differentiate between the old traditional Sikh's and the new kind of quasi Sikhs with their goatee beards and starched pughs.

One thing, Anil Bazmee reshot 7 scene's at the request of Sikh committees >>i guess some people are never satified.

We are off to Leicester today to see it with the family and have a laugh.

PS the character of Rangeela was brilliant. :)

PPS Mr Sikhnet got it WRONG!

Nicely saidPK70....its good to get out of the Box once in a while.

Really out of the box woman dancing half naked we all know Sikh girls perfer to dress this way now. Right Randip. They only forgot one thing in the movie a sex scene because Sikhs have sex as well. OOOO man why didnt they put one in. Overall they really did a great job of combining two religions into one. Kinda reminds of some movement in a country. OOO well it'll click in when its all said and done. What a way to show the Truesikhs. Why should anyone question this movie just be happy they made a movie about Sikhs. After all Sikhs are just a minority and who cares about them.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
some people are not only "in a box" but they have closed the cover and locked themsleves in as well !!
The Introduction to the movie clearly says it is NOT a "religious" film...clearly FICTITIOUS..no resemblance to real characters dead or alive...etc etc..Purely for ENTERTAINMENT.

Thousands of half baked Gyanis and Ragis etc are dishing out "fake sakhis/false religious teachings" under the guise of Parchaar....right under our noses in our Gurdwaras...all 110% ANTI-GURMATT and anti-Gurbani..but...no protests...just silence !!! ???? we should be Shouting against these fakes because they are TEACHING FALSEHOOD to our Youth..actively, openly and as supposed ambasadors of the GURU.....not a Fake actor who says he is a Fake right from page one.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Nicely saidPK70....its good to get out of the Box once in a while.

Really out of the box woman dancing half naked we all know Sikh girls perfer to dress this way now. Right Randip. They only forgot one thing in the movie a sex scene because Sikhs have sex as well. OOOO man why didnt they put one in. Overall they really did a great job of combining two religions into one. Kinda reminds of some movement in a country. OOO well it'll click in when its all said and done. What a way to show the Truesikhs. Why should anyone question this movie just be happy they made a movie about Sikhs. After all Sikhs are just a minority and who cares about them.

Singh ji

Did you see the movie? Your reaction seems a little over the top :confused:

Singh ji

Did you see the movie? Your reaction seems a little over the top
confused.gif

Yup i saw it aad0002 ji and I did not like it. Just my opinion on it.

mehar singh

SPNer
Jun 17, 2006
Sat sri akal,
Went to see Singh is Kinng.Good fun.However felt a little sad that the movie basically condoned not keeping a beard as a small majboori.When you like, keep when you dont, shave I think Akshay is even bigger then our Gurus because everyone likes to see a sikh drink dance and be merry.But I guess times are like that so be merry everyone .
Regards
Mehar

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
No, Bhagat ji -- I have not seen it. However -- if you are wondering about my responses on the thread ... My comments are about the posts on the thread, not about the movie.

Well what I am reacting to, and what strikes my attention, is the difference between calm reactions ;), positive or negativve, as you see in some posts and rancor :mad: which you see in other posts. Isn't it possible to be bothered by something in a movie without becoming .......? And what I am gathering from the discussion is that the main character experiences a significant change of perspective on himself and his world. And that is always the mark of good literature and cinema. So my intuition tells me that Singh is Kinng is above the level of brain-candy.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM