• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

When is someone NOT a Sikh (check as many as apply)?

• He/she has not taken Sikh Baptism (khande de pahul)

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • His/her spouse is not a Sikh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • His/her children marry outside of the Sikh faith

• He/she eats meat

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • He/she consumes alcohol or other intoxicants

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • He/she cuts, dyes, threads, shaves hair

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • He/she smokes

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • He/she is a member of a dera

• He/she engages in yogic practices

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • He/she seeks inspiration from the writings of other religions

• He/she has sexual relationships outside of marriage

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • He/she wears western clothes

• He/she has a personal guru or baba

• He/she opposes Khalistan

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • He/she supports Khalistan

• He/she chooses a career that is not in line with Sikh values

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Other. Kindly tell us about it in the discussion thread.

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters

Rupinder.Singh

Writer
SPNer
Mar 11, 2009
Brisbane Australia
=========For the ease of readability of readers===========
Source: http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=Page&Param=554&g=1&h=1&r=1&t=1&p=0&k=1

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Page # : 544

ਸਲੋਕ ਮਃ ੩ ॥ ਮਾਣਸੁ ਭਰਿਆ ਆਣਿਆ ਮਾਣਸੁ ਭਰਿਆ ਆਇ ॥ ਜਿਤੁ ਪੀਤੈ ਮਤਿ ਦੂਰਿ ਹੋਇ ਬਰਲੁ ਪਵੈ ਵਿਚਿ ਆਇ ॥ ਆਪਣਾ ਪਰਾਇਆ ਨ ਪਛਾਣਈ ਖਸਮਹੁ ਧਕੇ ਖਾਇ ॥ ਜਿਤੁ ਪੀਤੈ ਖਸਮੁ ਵਿਸਰੈ ਦਰਗਹ ਮਿਲੈ ਸਜਾਇ ॥ ਝੂਠਾ ਮਦੁ ਮੂਲਿ ਨ ਪੀਚਈ ਜੇ ਕਾ ਪਾਰਿ ਵਸਾਇ ॥ ਨਾਨਕ ਨਦਰੀ ਸਚੁ ਮਦੁ ਪਾਈਐ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਜਿਸੁ ਆਇ ॥ ਸਦਾ ਸਾਹਿਬ ਕੈ ਰੰਗਿ ਰਹੈ ਮਹਲੀ ਪਾਵੈ ਥਾਉ ॥੧॥

सलोक मः ३ ॥ माणसु भरिआ आणिआ माणसु भरिआ आइ ॥ जितु पीतै मति दूरि होइ बरलु पवै विचि आइ ॥ आपणा पराइआ न पछाणई खसमहु धके खाइ ॥ जितु पीतै खसमु विसरै दरगह मिलै सजाइ ॥ झूठा मदु मूलि न पीचई जे का पारि वसाइ ॥ नानक नदरी सचु मदु पाईऐ सतिगुरु मिलै जिसु आइ ॥ सदा साहिब कै रंगि रहै महली पावै थाउ ॥१॥

Salok mėhlā 3. Māṇas bẖari▫ā āṇi▫ā māṇas bẖari▫ā ā▫e. Jiṯ pīṯai maṯ ḏūr ho▫e baral pavai vicẖ ā▫e. Āpṇā parā▫i▫ā na pacẖẖāṇ▫ī kẖasmahu ḏẖake kẖā▫e. Jiṯ pīṯai kẖasam visrai ḏargėh milai sajā▫e. Jẖūṯẖā maḏ mūl na pīcẖ▫ī je kā pār vasā▫e. Nānak naḏrī sacẖ maḏ pā▫ī▫ai saṯgur milai jis ā▫e. Saḏā sāhib kai rang rahai mahlī pāvai thā▫o. ||1||

Shalok, Third Mehl: One person brings a full bottle, and another fills his cup. Drinking the wine, his intelligence departs, and madness enters his mind; he cannot distinguish between his own and others, and he is struck down by his Lord and Master. Drinking it, he forgets his Lord and Master, and he is punished in the Court of the Lord. Do not drink the false wine at all, if it is in your power. O Nanak, the True Guru comes and meets the mortal; by His Grace, one obtains the True Wine. He shall dwell forever in the Love of the Lord Master, and obtain a seat in the Mansion of His Presence. ||1||

ਮਾਣਸੁ = ਮਨੁੱਖ। ਆਣਿਆ = ਲਿਆਂਦਾ ਗਿਆ (ਭਾਵ, ਜੰਮਿਆ)। ਆਇ = ਆ ਕੇ (ਭਾਵ, ਜਨਮ ਲੈ ਕੇ)। ਭਰਿਆ = ਲਿਬੜਿਆ ਹੋਇਆ; (ਸ਼ਰਾਬ ਆਦਿਕ ਦੀ ਭੈੜੀ ਵਾਦੀ ਵਿਚ) ਫਸਿਆ ਹੋਇਆ। ਬਰਲੁ = ਝੱਲਪੁਣਾ। ਪੀਚਈ = ਪੀਣਾ ਚਾਹੀਦਾ। ਜੇ ਕਾ = ਜਿਥੋਂ ਤਕ। ਪਾਰਿ ਵਸਾਇ = ਵੱਸ ਚੱਲੇ।੧।

ਜੋ ਮਨੁੱਖ (ਵਿਕਾਰਾਂ ਨਾਲ) ਲਿਬੜਿਆ ਹੋਇਆ (ਏਥੇ ਜਗਤ ਵਿਚ) ਲਿਆਂਦਾ ਗਿਆ, ਉਹ ਏਥੇ ਆ ਕੇ (ਹੋਰ ਵਿਕਾਰਾਂ ਵਿਚ ਹੀ) ਲਿੱਬੜਦਾ ਹੈ (ਤੇ ਸ਼ਰਾਬ ਆਦਿਕ ਕੁਕਰਮ ਵਿਚ ਪੈਂਦਾ ਹੈ), ਪਰ ਜਿਸ ਦੇ ਪੀਤਿਆਂ ਅਕਲ ਦੂਰ ਹੋ ਜਾਂਦੀ ਹੈ ਤੇ ਬਕਣ ਦਾ ਜੋਸ਼ ਆ ਚੜ੍ਹਦਾ ਹੈ, ਆਪਣੇ ਪਰਾਏ ਦੀ ਪਛਾਣ ਨਹੀਂ ਰਹਿੰਦੀ, ਮਾਲਕ ਵੱਲੋਂ ਧੱਕੇ ਪੈਂਦੇ ਹਨ, ਜਿਸ ਦੇ ਪੀਤਿਆਂ ਖਸਮ ਵਿਸਰਦਾ ਹੈ ਤੇ ਦਰਗਾਹ ਵਿਚ ਸਜ਼ਾ ਮਿਲਦੀ ਹੈ, ਐਸਾ ਚੰਦਰਾ ਸ਼ਰਾਬ, ਜਿਥੋਂ ਤਕ ਵੱਸ ਚੱਲੇ ਕਦੇ ਨਹੀਂ ਪੀਣਾ ਚਾਹੀਦਾ। ਹੇ ਨਾਨਕ! ਪ੍ਰਭੂ ਦੀ ਮੇਹਰ ਦੀ ਨਜ਼ਰ ਨਾਲ 'ਨਾਮ'-ਰੂਪ ਨਸ਼ਾ (ਉਸ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਨੂੰ) ਮਿਲਦਾ ਹੈ, ਜਿਸ ਨੂੰ ਗੁਰੂ ਆ ਕੇ ਮਿਲ ਪਏ, ਉਹ ਮਨੁੱਖ ਸਦਾ ਮਾਲਕ ਦੇ (ਨਾਮ ਦੇ) ਰੰਗ ਵਿਚ ਰਹਿੰਦਾ ਹੈ ਤੇ ਦਰਗਾਹ ਵਿਚ ਉਸ ਨੂੰ ਥਾਂ (ਭਾਵ, ਇੱਜ਼ਤ) ਮਿਲਦੀ ਹੈ।੧।

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Tejwant Singh Ji - first of all i apologize for the late reply. i will tell you my reason. I really don't like to translate GURBANI as requested by you because when posted on the Internet using blogs there is no control on the responses and don't want to get into an argument over it. Also you might know more than me. The only thing i can suggest to users who don't know GURBANI is to make a good effort to learn it. GURSIKH di sangat vich raho. For every SIKH out there learning GURBANI is a must there are no other choices. My response to the message might have been little different than the one i am posting.

Dear hpannu ji,
I respect your views. However, I would like to add that the Guru Granth Sahib Ji is written in poetry so even learning Gurmukhi, sometimes things are not easy to understand. Only by each of us sharing our own understanding can we maximise our learning. It's like learning any language in a peer group-you do it together with other aids. With each contributing party, the knowledge base increases and enriches us :)

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
Back to the thread:
I see Sikhism as a journey. We are all at different points on that journey so why should we judge those at a different place? First we should look inside ourselves carefully then we can encourage others to progress further. As long as someone wants to walk the path and shows that by taking steps then they are a Sikh. If someone takes a detour then we should encourage them to return rather than alienating them by saying you are no longer a Sikh. If they reject the pathway outright and fork off in another direction then by all means take away the title of Sikh!!
Jasleen kudihug

Mai Harinder Kaur

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Oct 5, 2006
British Columbia, Canada
Back to the thread:
I see Sikhism as a journey. We are all at different points on that journey so why should we judge those at a different place? First we should look inside ourselves carefully then we can encourage others to progress further. As long as someone wants to walk the path and shows that by taking steps then they are a Sikh. If someone takes a detour then we should encourage them to return rather than alienating them by saying you are no longer a Sikh. If they reject the pathway outright and fork off in another direction then by all means take away the title of Sikh!!
Jasleen kudihug

And, of course, we must always be ready to welcome them back if and when they return!

kaurhugkudihugmundahug:redturban:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: