• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikhism

HannahBanana

SPNer
Sep 11, 2006
South Florida
What makes a person a Sikh? I mean what basic beliefs must one have to be a Sikh? I'm still confused about that. And what does a Sikh need to do in their daily lives to make them a Sikh?

I'm so confused!
:8-:)

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
beleif in gurbani and faith in guru's make aperson sikh.If a sikh is amritdhari then he/she has to follow code of conduct but the most important thing a sikh should do is to remember god.

ਮਃ ੪ ॥
मः ४ ॥
Mehlā 4.
Fourth Mehl:

ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਜੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਅਖਾਏ ਸੁ ਭਲਕੇ ਉਠਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥
गुर सतिगुर का जो सिखु अखाए सु भलके उठि हरि नामु धिआवै ॥
Gur saṯgur kā jo sikẖ akẖāė so bẖalkė uṯẖ har nām ḏẖiāvai.
One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.

ਉਦਮੁ ਕਰੇ ਭਲਕੇ ਪਰਭਾਤੀ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ਕਰੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰਿ ਨਾਵੈ ॥
उदमु करे भलके परभाती इसनानु करे अम्रित सरि नावै ॥
Uḏam karė bẖalkė parbẖāṯī isnān karė amriṯ sar nāvai.
Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.

ਉਪਦੇਸਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪੈ ਸਭਿ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਪਾਪ ਦੋਖ ਲਹਿ ਜਾਵੈ ॥
उपदेसि गुरू हरि हरि जपु जापै सभि किलविख पाप दोख लहि जावै ॥
Upḏės gurū har har jap jāpai sabẖ kilvikẖ pāp ḏokẖ leh jāvai.
Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased.

ਫਿਰਿ ਚੜੈ ਦਿਵਸੁ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਗਾਵੈ ਬਹਦਿਆ ਉਠਦਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥
फिरि चड़ै दिवसु गुरबाणी गावै बहदिआ उठदिआ हरि नामु धिआवै ॥
Fir cẖaṛai ḏivas gurbāṇī gāvai bahḏiā uṯẖḏiā har nām ḏẖiāvai.
Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's Name.

ਜੋ ਸਾਸਿ ਗਿਰਾਸਿ ਧਿਆਏ ਮੇਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਸੋ ਗੁਰਸਿਖੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਮਨਿ ਭਾਵੈ ॥
जो सासि गिरासि धिआए मेरा हरि हरि सो गुरसिखु गुरू मनि भावै ॥
Jo sās girās ḏẖiāė mėrā har har so gursikẖ gurū man bẖāvai.
One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind.

ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਦਇਆਲੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਮੇਰਾ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਤਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਗੁਰੂ ਉਪਦੇਸੁ ਸੁਣਾਵੈ ॥
जिस नो दइआलु होवै मेरा सुआमी तिसु गुरसिख गुरू उपदेसु सुणावै ॥
Jis no ḏaiāl hovai mėrā suāmī ṯis gursikẖ gurū upḏės suṇāvai.
That person, unto whom my Lord and Master is kind and compassionate - upon that GurSikh, the Guru's Teachings are bestowed.

ਜਨੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਧੂੜਿ ਮੰਗੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਕੀ ਜੋ ਆਪਿ ਜਪੈ ਅਵਰਹ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਾਵੈ ॥੨॥
जनु नानकु धूड़ि मंगै तिसु गुरसिख की जो आपि जपै अवरह नामु जपावै ॥२॥
Jan Nānak ḏẖūṛ mangai ṯis gursikẖ kī jo āp japai avrah nām japāvai. ||2||
Servant Nanak begs for the dust of the feet of that GurSikh, who himself chants the Naam, and inspires others to chant it. ||2||

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Hannah-B ji

"One who longs for all comforts and rewards should practice Truth. Behold the Supreme Being near you, and meditate on the Naam. Become the dust of all men’s feet, and so merge with the Supreme Being. Do not cause any being to suffer, and you will go to your True Home with honor. Nanak speaks of the Purifier of sinners, the Creator, the Primal Being" (sggs 322).

Our Veer ji kds1980 has given you above one of the best of the banis to start you on your way. I am new to this myself, and found some practical advice. Here are some ideas that repeat themselves in scriptures, religious readings, and the best discussions on this forum.

* Worship only One God, the Ultimate Truth, which is beyond any name, form, time, and space.
* Since the same One God dwells in All, keep no feeling of evil, jealousy, enviousness and enmity for anyone.
* Close off the nine holes or doors (two eyes, two ears, two nostrils, mouth, sex organ and rectum) of the outer world; meaning all attention must be removed from them.
* Be kind and hurt no one with thought, speech and deeds.
* Practice truthfulness, humility, contentment, righteousness and compassion in all situations.
* Give up slandering, gossip, worldly contradictions, arguments, and excessive speech.
* Live simple and plain life as the nature.
* See All-pervading Presence in All, and treat them as brethren.
* Take pain and suffering as gifts from God because there are many secrets in them.
* Be happy in God's Hukam or Will. Simply put: Take life as it comes.
* Make living with honest and pious earrings, share with others, and help the needy.
* Forgive and forget. Forgiveness is one of the Transcendental qualities which belongs to godly person.
* Abstain from interfering with the Divine Play (Leelaa); know not to impose your own will on others and cause any being to suffer.
* Eat and sleep in moderation. Avoid consuming diet unconducive for Spiritual progress. In other words, do not meditate on foods and drinks; instead, meditate (Japa or Naam-Simran).
* One should mold his living in such a way so that he can awaken Divine Love within his own Heart, and then in the Heart of others.
* Do not waste useful time and energy in making external pilgrimage, and performing ablution, etc. Because the True pilgrimage and ablution is within.
* Look beyond people's shortcomings, and take on their good qualities. Try to understand others without first waiting to be understood.
* At bed time, invoke the God given power of introspection to review the battle of the day in mind to determine who won the battle — the Good or the evil. The "Good" being that which expresses truth and virtue and attracts the consciousness to God; and "evil" being ignorance and delusion, repels the consciousness from God.

SAHAJ

Some of these ideas I really need to work on. So do you. So does everyone. Take the road one pebble at a time. Start with the Mool Mantar, move on to Japuji.

You will get a lot of advice. Much of it will seem contradictory. Some of it will seem arbitrary. Always come back to the Siri Guru Granth Sahib. You can't go wrong.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
dear hannah

aad0002 has given you excellent advice.i must say she has the real sikh attituide

btw here is the bhai gurdas ji's vaar about who is a sikh.the shabads of bhai gurdas ji's
are not in guru granth sahib but are considered important of sikhism.

Vaaran Bhai Gurdas :Vaar3Pauri20:SearchGurbani.com

Vaar 3 Pauri 20 Who is the acknowledged Sikh
siqgur srxI jwie sIs invwieAw]

sathigur saranee jaae sees nivaaeiaa||

He is true Sikh who surrenders before the Guru and bows his head;

Line 1

gur crnI icq lwie mQw lwieAw]

gur charanee chith laae mathhaa laaeiaa||

Who puts his mind and forehead on the feet of Guru;

Line 2

gurmiq irdY vswie Awp gvwieAw]

guramath ridhai vasaae aap gavaaeiaa||

Who holding dear to his heart the teachings of the Guru expels ego from his self;

Line 3

gurmuK shj suBwie Bwxw BwieAw]

guramukh sehaj subhaae bhaanaa bhaaeiaa||

Who loves the will of Lord and has attained equipoise by becoming Guru-oriented, gurmukh;

Line 4

Sbd suriq ilv lwie hukm kmwieAw]

shabadh surath liv laae hukam kamaaeiaa||

Who by merging his consciousness in the Word has acted according to the divine Will (hukam).

Line 5

swD sMgq BY Bwie inj Gr pwieAw]

saadhh sangath bhai bhaae nij ghar paaeiaa||

He (the true Sikh) as the result of his love and fear of holy congregation attains his own self (atma).

Line 6

crn kml pqIAwie Bvr luBwieAw]

charan kamal patheeaae bhavar lubhaaeiaa||

He remains stuck to the lotus feet of the Guru like the black bee.

Line 7

suK sMpq prcwie Aimau pIAwieAw]

sukh sanpath parachaae amio peeaaeiaa||

Getting enevloped in this delight he goes on quaffing the nectar.

Line 8

DMn jxyNdI mwie sihlw AwieAw ]òú]ó]

dhhann janaenadhee maae sehilaa aaeiaa ||aa||a||

Blest is the mother of such a person. Only his coming to this world is fruitful.

Line 9

Amarpal

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 11, 2004
India
Dear Khalsa Ji,

Sikh is one who is a spiritual role model for others. She/he is a Sikh in true sense, if the person has incorporated the teachings of Siri Guru Granth Sahib into her or his being. In real life she or he is resonating with these teachings. Thus she or he has become a Gurmukh. All the rest i.e the seekers following this religion are in the process of becoming a true Sikh.

This is my understanding

With love and respect for all.

Amarpal Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM