• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikhism Or Spirtuality

jahan_bakshi

SPNer
Feb 1, 2007
pune
First things first.. A big hii to everyone ...well this is my first post and the topics that everyone has talked abt are pretty interestin. though i have not read all the posts but quite a few to start my own...

Well i myself is very much interested in sikh culture the reason being that i was born and broght up in a sikh family where we keep up with the traditions to instill the culture within young bloods.. Now that i have grown up from that stage and facing the need of the sulture to be able to follow the right path which is taught in the books of religion(sikh) but my question is what is more important sikhisn or spirtuality . ..

Here we have laid stres to sikhism in particular as this forum is all abt it but putting my thoughts forward .. every religion more or less teaches us the same things .. then why only sikhism.. and to keep pace with the running world more then religion we need peace of mind spirtuality clear thoughts then why are we running to save sikh culture why not we intend to change the way of thinking that more then this religion what is important is how to use any religion to ur best like meditation.. yoga .. what gud will our history provide us to us ...

i hope i am not offending anyone rather i am trying to clear my thougts on the issue ..

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Hi.
Your post is quite interesting and many issues have been raised.I shall be able to answer a few only. Sikhism ,besides other, lays a great stress n the control of mind that leads to the control of our senses and hence the desires and expectations are tried to put under control that is , as we see, is the single most reason for the inner disconnect that becomes the breeding ground for the malfunction of the mind.

For the control of mind sikhs lay stress on Simran and remembering HIM through the meditation techniques. The meditation techniques are same and common in all the practices.

Your two questions have been answered.

As to why you ought to be a sikh is rather a personal decision than a point of discussion. If you are new to sikhi ,though you were born in a sikh family, it is suggested that you may read more about sikhism. If you want some specific reading material you may find a lot here on this forum.The forum, ofcourse, is meant for discussing about sikhs and sikhism.
All the luck in your endeavors.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
I am quoting few lines of Granth sahib ji that would let you know the significance of contemplation and meditation. I am giving below an equivalent translation.

1.Through contemplation and meditation, the Lord dwells within the heart; see this, and understand. ||1||[page313]

2.So speak the Lord's Name, which shall emancipate you.

3.By Guru's Grace, the jewel of the Lord is found; ignorance is dispelled, and the Divine Light shines forth. ||1||Pause||

4.By merely saying it with the tongue, one's bonds are not broken, and egotism and doubt do not depart from within.

5.But when one meets the True Guru, egotism departs, and then, one realizes his destiny. ||2||

Hope it should be helpful.Please feel free to post your queries.

Apr 13, 2008
New York
Sikhism ,besides other, lays a great stress n the control of mind that leads to the control of our senses and hence the desires and expectations are tried to put under control that is , as we see, is the single most reason for the inner disconnect that becomes the breeding ground for the malfunction of the mind.

For the control of mind sikhs lay stress on Simran and remembering HIM through the meditation techniques. The meditation techniques are same and common in all the practices.

quote]

all eastern religions teach this

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Dear friend,
WE all try to help one another in a way that we consider the best.One tries to convince but we leave a room for self brooding as well. One, during this brooding period, may either find a way or may not.
I had given the best possible answer in relation to sikhism in fewest possible lines and space. Yes, there may be many faiths that may have similarities and none is superior or inferior, it is one's comfort level that is more important.

Kindly let us know what exactly are you trying to derive.

Regards

Apr 13, 2008
New York
as long as you admited that you were trying to sway him twards sikhi, i think we are on the same page.

the only problem i had was the way you worded your post, saying sikhi, besides others, is the only religion that tries to control the mind.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM