• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikhism Is Not The Same As Hinduism, Islam Or Christianity Etc

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Re: Sikhism is not the same as Hinduism..or Islam, .....or Christianity.....etc

Questions Asked by Harjas Kaur Khalsa which were not answered :-

Only anti-Hindu prejudices keep defining it as something altogether insidious, corrupt and hostile and undesirable. It's just a culture with some very ancient and meaningful spiritual philosophies.
People keep describing politicians, corrupted fake babas, spies and anti-communal elements as "Hindu." Is that really necessary?

Should the world define the worst behavior of Sikhs as "Sikhism?"

Should the world define the worst behavior of Sikhs as "Sikhism?" The majority of the worlds religions share some part of the original ancient teachings, because Hinduism is one of the mother religions of the world. Why does everyone keep getting bent out of shape and trying to deny that?

Take the best and leave the rest and give respect for what is beautiful.
Isn't that tolerance the essence of Gurbani?

Everyone is so hung up on identities. And nothing of this earth or these identities is permanent. Everything is passing away, why cling to meaningless outward forms anyway?

One of the most shameful things is you have people shouting for independant Khalistan, and spending money to propagate this, make offices where they can become chairman of this and that. And Vandana Shiva, a Hindu, is the one actually going around trying to create financial relief programs to help the farmer suicide crisis. So what kind of Khalistan would we even have, if the leadership doesn't even care about the farmers?

It sounds as if the Moghals have been reborn as modern Sikhs when you find attitudes like these towards Hindus. And these attitudes and comments are common enough to warrant concern for the spiritual jeevan of the Sikh community. What kind of self-definition is this, which defines Sikhism in terms of "not being as bad as the Hindu's are?"

And so people say, "I am not a Hindu, I am a Sikh." But Guruji didn't say, "I am not a Muslim, I am not a Hindu, I am a Sikh!" Because a Guru is not the disciple, and Sikh means disciple. So if Guruji is not a Hindu in a way to divide people, why are Sikhs trying to be Sikh identity, in a way to divide people? It's totally contrary to what Guruji said.

More to come.
Members may point out to me if answers have been given to the above questions.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006

thx namjap ji

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004

in my opinion, Nam Jap ji,

Sometimes the answers are self-evident. Sometimes the questions presume a basis in oversimplification and generalizations that are not warranted by facts or reason.

Sorry to hit hard -- this is hard talk - and my style of moderation portends this. Fairness all the way around requires fairness to Sikh identity.

Feb 14, 2006

For the record, Sikhism has developed into a separate sect, but to be honest, not on enough points of departure from Hindu philosophy to be considered a separate religion. But even if you do define Sikhism as entirely different religion, why do people continue to deny Sikhism has powerful orientation from within Vedic conceptions of God, universe, soul and salvation? And why, when we open this can of worms, and the spirit of anti-Hinduism raises it's head, are we not addressing that hostility between Sikh and Hindu communities, because it is the very heart of serious problems and violence today. (quote from Post 35)

What is your basis in logic (not in emotion and inference based on loose associations) that causes you to correlate adherence to Sikh identity and violence against Hindus?
I have answered in detail on a number of threads, some of which are now closed as you well know. What is the purpose of asking that which I can't answer? You yourself have closed the threads because the moderators have decided such conversation as pointing out the sanatan philosophy in Gurbani with relevant correlations to Vedic and Upanishadic teachings somehow offended the Tat Khalsa Singh Sabha prevailing self-definitions of Sikhism as wholly distinct and unrelated to anything Hindu.

As Namjap Ji has so kindly pointed out, my questions have not been answered on several of these threads. How can anyone call it a "discussion" if relevant points, questions and objections are raised which are ignored, then the position itself gets deleted and threads get closed to silence the viewpoint, and pretend in any fashion something about fairness?

If you want hard talk, then let's discuss some of the many questions I have asked on numerous threads including this one. Why do I have to defensively answer so many questions and even direct attacks against my position without any answer in kind? Or is your intention to create a "hotseat" situation where someone who posts an unpopular topic gets grilled, but no one grills themselves over contemplation of the alternate viewpoint? So that isn't hard talk, it just becomes hard-headed.

While I do still have sympathy for militancy as a Dharmic response to political oppression, there is a limit to an appropriate response. I think the Sikh community as a whole is glorifying the violence of the past and exaggerating the Sikh-Hindu divide for a manipulated separatist agenda. We don't have any justification for violence or treasonous attacks against Hindu populations, nor are there credible justifications for support of Pakistani jihadis. This political manipulation is a gross distortion of Sikhism. And I believe it is firmly tied to the current attitudes of hostility and opposition to anything Hindu. This is not how anybody will create Khalistan. It's how people will create another Gallughara. And if we're honest and evaluate all the elements preceding the violence of the Indian state, there were a number of provoking factors and incidents which pitted Sikhs against Hindus. If people don't take responsibility for the causes of communal violence and strife, we're just going to keep justifying and repeating the same mistakes and go down that same path again. Sikhs weren't even noticed internationally during the 1980's and 1990's gallughara. What will happen if glorification of violence gets established in the public mind with incidents of collaboration with jihadi militant groups such as the Indian bombings? Sikhs won't have any support at all. So why are SikhSikhism is volatile and promotes unease and suspicion by Indian government police and intelligence agencies. It also justifies violent means and encourages the fanatics among us. What good can come of it? communities praising the rhetoric of radical Khalistanis? Why continue to praise the rhetoric of independant nationhood and separate identity? Why continue to praise the rhetoric of independant nationhood and separate identity? This very talk about separatism, independance, disrespect for anything Hindu in Sikhism is volatile and promotes unease and suspicion by Indian government police and intelligence agencies. It also justifies violent means and encourages the fanatics among us. What good can come of it?

Do we have hard empirical facts and figures to support your claims. What percentage of the Sikh community worldwide subscribes to armed oppression of Hindus and jihadi activity? or does so on the basis of their belief in Sikh identity? What is the incidence? What is the prevalence? Please provide more than your suspicions.
These aren't suspicions bhenji and you know it. Perpetual and unrealistic denials only serve to further jeopardize the spiritual jeevan. This is a discussion forum and you have already completely deleted the post which discussed in detail and provided video and pictures as corroboration, not of "individuals" but of major rallies which thousands have attended. So falsely taking some stance that implies I have no proof is outrageous, especially given the fact that you deleted the threads which had supporting evidence and was specific to the points I talked about, and now make it seem as if I have only words and opinions and no evidence at all. Asking for a research quality paper which includes percentages is ridiculous as I'm not a University employee, and neither have I undergone any complete study. But I have spent several years in Khalistani communities, and I do think my words are accurate. Bhenji, when dealing with issues of this nature, no one is going to be able to cite a research document which appropriately illustrates who honestly supports what. The very nature of association with some of these groups would create n intelligence services investigation, either in US, UK, Canada, or Britain. So communities aren't going to be entirely forthright. If you hold such a paper in your hands, which claims contrary evidence, I suggest you consider it isn't based on truth due to the legal ramifications.

It has been publicized in a number of reports how a segment of the Sikh community, largely the youth are idolizing violent militant organizations. So it's certainly not even new to hear the allegation. Since I happen to come from exactly that section of the Sikh community, I am simply verifying from my experience, this is a real problem. I have already explained why I think it's a problem, and from what attitudes and beliefs it stems from. Just by attacking the position does not make this serious problem go away. Just by denying won't stop the fanatical elements within Sikhism from continuing to advocate violent means or the Sikh community in general from tacitly tolerating and even justifying those extremist beliefs.

In my mind the question of discrediting this phenomenon of revival and glorification of Sikh militancy as off the mark, is incredible, largely because it's real and even well-publicized. Some of the pro-Khalistani attitudes and anti-Hindu sentiments or genralization of "ALL Hindus as guilty or evil" have been voiced on these very threads; so questioning it's relevance as a topic discussion is rather surprising. In my mind the issue should be "Why does the Sikh community continue to praise and condone the violent baggage which arose out of the 1980's conflict? This is neither obtaining justice for victims of injustice than it is securing the future for Sikhs in Punjab to live peacefully AFTER genocide.

And the reason such issues are related is because the entire Sikh morcha by Akali Dal stemmed out of the Tat Khalsa Singh Sabha self-definitions of Sikhs as entirely separate and independant from Hindustan. 1984 was a direct result of the conflict between these forces of independant national identity and rejection of Hindu society. Now this is a simplication, in justice there were legitimate grievances and there were acts of marginalization. But if you wanted to do a standard research study in comparison, it should compare the Singh Sabhist Bhindranwala faction with the Rajasthanis. The Rajasthanis were also fighting the Moghals and lost rule and land and political power after the British invasion. Yet, they retained a Hindu identity. Despite certain matters of grievance and injustice, the Rajasthani community continued to remain nationalistic, patriotic and prosper.

Contrast that with the Sikh community whose entire agitation has it's basis on a "separate Sikh identity," a "separate nationalism and nationhood." And if you can't see political tragedy in that stance, I don't know what to say. Indira was a evil, selfish demon who I believe is in the lowest hell for her actions, but politically, the fact that the Indira government initiated martial law crackdown following her fradulent election tells you there was a degree of instability in her government. WHO in there right mind decided this would be the ideal time to stage an agitation and a morcha for assertion of independant Sikh rights? In hindsight, can you see how predictable the outcome was? I cannot blame any innocent person for the bloodbath which was planned by corrupt and evil people. But I do feel responsibility is at the feet of leadership, both the Indian government AND the Sikh leaders, who did in fact play into the hands of Pakistani ISI. Now, I have defended against this for years. But realistically I do know, that in a political agitation, you look for the responsible party as being the one with proximity, means and who benefits the most. And if we are honest, Sikh agitation and subsequent gallughara benefitted one entity only... Pakistan. And that is who it continues to benefit, which is why we see things like the Dal Khalsa-Muslim Alliance. Or Simranjit Singh Mann shouting "Pakistan Zindabad," and decrying the United States toleration of nuclear India. Politically these attitudes are treasonous coming from an Indian national. Think about it. And who are the largest supporters of Shiromani Akali Dal Amritsar, Dal Khalsa and Shiromani Khalsa Dal? They are the Sikh disapora in US, UK, Canada, and Britain.

So let's be reasonable in these discussions and not deny the evidence out of simple argumentativeness and blanket denial. Ask yourself (and please I welcome the answer), "How do you think attitudes of Sikh independant identity and separatism are affecting attitudes of hostility to anything Hindu and even glorification of violence against the Indian state?"

It can't be possible that xyz former terrorist is innocent, when the very attitudes of the community largely agree with his alleged terrorist actions, when the actions are justified, and when the victims are demonized as part of some brahmin conspiracy of the evil Indian state. That is simply propaganda worthy of Hitler to demonize and scapegoat populations of people. I invite people to look very closely at this agitation for separate Sikh political identity couched in the name of religion, because it is nothing more than advocacy of violence, of violent means to secede from the Indian state and establish an independant Sikh homeland. It is nothing more than jihadi religion which promotes shaheedi as a means to achieve mukti. It is nothing more than radical Islamic definitions of a One True God and a One True Faith. It is nothing more than an imposed Abrahamic conception which makes every other religion and people in the world inferior to Sikhism, as it proclaims falsely that Sikhism is the only boat of mukti, not unlike jihadis. It is nothing more than a political philosophy of ethnocentric self-promotion and intolerance in the name of a spiritual teaching. (quoted from post 39)

Please explain to the forum how you have arrived at these conclusions - for they are conclusions and not so far drawn from evidence but from your personal perceptions. Have you personally conducted a sufficiently broad investigation using a representative cross-section of the worldwide Sikh community, perhaps by the use of surveys and analysis of print media, to draw any of the conclusions in the paragraph above. I am not convinced that YouTube videos are objective sources of evidence.
Youtube videos may be the only available evidence for certain things. It's not like the Republican party which announces it's platform publically. Babbar Khalsa originally started as a militant movement from within Akhand Kirtani Jatha as a response to the massacre of 13 Gursikhs in 1978 Amritsar by sant Nirankaris. The first thing they did was separate themselves from the Jatha to avoid having the elders be implicated for acts committed by the militants. While I believe this was fair and true, the Punjab police forces still targetted and tortured and killed innocent family members of the militants. Today, when we are discussing photos of sheheed militants in Gurdwaras (there are some in diaspora which are this blatent~ Fremont Gurdwara for example), smagams and rainsbhaes given to honor shaheed militants, Nagar Kirtans which have displays of shaheed militants, etc we cannot ignore that sympathy for militancy continues. But how can you precisely pinpoint with degree of percentages such sympathetic support for an outlawed terrorist organization which would get you questioned, possibly detained and deported, and in cases of some militant communities, extradited to the Punjab police? It's not like analyzing the percentage of brown hair in a Swedish immigrant population in Wisconsin.

Now you've asked a fair question, to what degree is the Sikh community IN GENERAL sympathetic to militants. And I'm honestly telling you, it is not as small as the Sikh community would like the public to believe. Especially among the young, Sikh militancy has been accepted as a path to mukti. It is positively glorified. And we must all be concerned with separatist attitudes which continue to espouse justification of terrorist violence of innocent Hindu population by demonizing them as some kind of evil brahmins who are enemies of the Sikh Nation. It is already embedded in the Sikh consciousness that Sikhs are a separate identity fighting for it's survival against the machinations of evil, corrupted Hindus. When someone defines how Sikhism is NOT related to Hindu philosophy, he doesn't even discuss the philoisophy... he discusses the emotionally laden catch words which amount to rejection of Hinduism as evil and corrupting, denigration of Hindu's (And you have deleted my post which showed a true snapshot of how the Sikh youth REALLY feel about Hindus, in so many derogatory and abusive terms). These ARE the attitudes which will precipitate more and more violence. They are a literal clarion call for violence and agitation against Hindus in the name of independant Sikh identity.

Do you see the Dalai Lama aggressively asserting Buddhist independance from Hinduism? No! And the reason is, he doesn't have to. Buddhism is secure in it's spiritual philosophy and has no problem acknowledging the sanatan origin of Buddhist teaching, which in large measure influence the wonderful Advaita school, which in turn had some degree of influence on the Vaishnavism which in turn influenced Gurbani. The philosphies are there plain as day. But it is unreasonable to assume that any reactions of profound hostility and rejection are necessary for Sikh survival. And I'm sharing with you the political origins of such attitudes, and how destructive they really are.

The Sikh community in diaspora has confused spirituality with violent politics of separatism. And those politics were the likely precipitant for the attack in 1984 and subsequent gallughara. While this can't in any way excuse the horrific and unjust response by the government of India against the Sikhs, it can't be overlooked either, that Sikhs themselves were provoking the Indian state with talk of independant identity, armed rallies and resistence. It isn't much different from today where you see dera sacha sauda premis beating or killing a Sikh... but you find that Sikh was also part of an armed agitation. So honestly, we have to say a certain response from the Sikh Panth is one of provocation. And this alone is a large cause of unrest. Consider that 1978 Amritsar attack by sant Nirankaris against Sikhs would not have occured if Sikhs had not responded to deliberate provocations of Gurbachana by marching with swords and shields. The response received was a gunfight. How could they win? So in hindsight, it was a foolish response, and it resulted in tragedy for the Sikhs. And it was this incident which led to the formation of Babbar Khalsa International, which now has main headquarters in Pakistan and known collaboration with jihadis. Is there anything logical in this history of events which has anything to do with a spiritual message (also quoted from post 39)

I have not, in my limited experience, seen or heard any activity aiming in the direction of armed response or hostility toward Hindus or the government of India at the two gurdwaras that I attend. Perhaps they are meeting secretly in remote areas, or in bunkers disguised as storage facilities and warehouses on the outskirts of the city. Perhaps they do not want me to know about it. I might spill the beans. In fact Khalistan is never discussed there either.
Is this kind of mocking tone really necessary? And will this kind of mockery of a very real and serious issue make it go away? Do you really think for one moment that people actually involved with militancy are going to announce it at the podium? So are you saying by this ludicrous statement that there is not and has not been Sikh militancy? And if you really believe that, I have to conclude you are naive.

Whether they are or they are not violently predisposed toward Hindus is irrelevant in this discussion. What is the logical argument that leads to the conclusion: Sikhism is not the same as Hinduism (title of the thread we are now looking at) can be reasonably associated with separatism, jihadism, violence, and nazism? Please provide empirical evidence and logical arguments.
It is precisely the most relevant purpose of this discussion. We are not here discussing directly the issue of whether Sikhism is philosophically related to Hinduism, such has been discussed in detail in posts which have been closed. This is now addressing the political basis and implication of the identity of Sikhism being based on separation from Hindus, and the many recent relevant traumatic events which have precipitated violence and extremism in the assertion. Prior to the 1900's Singh Sabha reform, Sikhs did not have this vocal and hostile separatism. They were among the most nationalistic communities in India. But as the philosophies and politics of independant nationhood and separatism became forefront, things like the 1980's morcha agitation by Akali Dal and Bhindwanwala faction led to direct confrontations with the Indian government, along with cries for independant Khalistan and witnessing militants working with the Pakistani government to recognize creation of Khalistan state.

Whether or not you in particular choose to acknowledge or reject the recent politics which led to the diaspora Sikh communities in the West, denial of the influence of militants in shaping the political structure of Gurdwaras, ostracizing and beating people who held a different political view, and even drug running and gang-like criminal syndicates to raise millions of dollars funding, who knows what for, is simply not believable. Not only is it documented. It's been witnessed. I've witnessed some of these things. Are ALL Gurdwaras influenced by militant communities? No. Are many Gurdwaras influenced by militant communities? Perhaps in an indirect way, certainly there is a large sympathy for Sikhs against the Indian state, and attitudes derived from Singh Sabha that Sikhs are an independant nation and persecuted minority in India. These attitudes do encourage the more immature views calling for blatant hostility to any and all Hindus, and sympathy for militant violence among the young. The music among the Sikh youth, the artwork, posters, t-shirts, etc, what do they praise? They praise a culture of terrorist violence. Are some Gurdwaras influenced by militant communities? Hehe, please! Anyone who denies that these are the most influential Sikh communities in diaspora is sleeping.

So the issue is not "ALL SIKHS ARE SYMPATHETIC TO MILITANTS." The issue is, "How is the mainstream Sikh community tolerating and ignoring the extremist views of the militant communities? How are their own mainstream youth getting swept up in a culture of independant Sikh identity which is nothing more than glorification of shaheedi militants and attitude of independant separation from the Indian state, from evil Hindus, and treasonous attitudes justifying terrorist violence?"

Because these issues are very real, we can't ignore the implications of anti-Hinduism/anti-India as being asserted as part of the Sikh self-definition.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/south_asia/7281371.stm
http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=14619640
http://www.satp.org/satporgtp/countries/india/states/punjab/terrorist_outfits/ISYF.htm
http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/uncategorized/khalistan-forces-trying-to-stir-sectarian-violence_10029686.html
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080427/khalistan_shirts_080427

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/South_Asia/GF10Df03.html
http://www.rediff.com/news/2006/dec/21pak.htm
http://indiatoday.digitaltoday.in/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&issueid=31&id=11521&Itemid=1&sectionid=61
http://www.dailypioneer.com/columnist1.asp?main_variable=Columnist&file_name=KANCHAN161.txt&writer=KANCHAN&validit=yes
http://www.sikhtimes.com/news_071005a.html
http://www.expressindia.com/news/fullstory.php?newsid=12906

Where do these attitudes of pugh-wale RSS anti-Sikh, fake Sikh, Hindus come from?
Dal Khalsa Alliance
Saturday, 03 February 2007
The khalistani leaders [or the followers and members of the anti-Sikh parties like BJP, RSS, etc.] with anti-Sikh L K Advani, an associate of a criminal VP Vajpayee of the RSS & BJP. The khalistani leaders or the Dastaardhari (turbaned) Hindus in The Sikh Identity
http://www.dalkhalsausa.org/content/view/505/48/
From separatist militant organizations which are united with Pakistan like Dal-Khalsa.

The rhetoric of separatism and secession:
Quaid e Azam, Muhammad Ali Jinnah had said at a certain occasion,
"We maintain and hold that Muslims and Hindus are two major nations by any definition or test of a nation. We are a nation of a hundred million, and, what is more, we are a nation with our own distinctive culture and civilization, language and literature, art and architecture, names and nomenclature, sense of value and proportion, legal laws and moral codes, customs and calendar, history and traditions, aptitudes and ambitions. In short, we have our own distinctive outlook on life. By all canons of international law we are a nation."

In these words not only had Jinnah refuted his critics who in their twisted logic had insisted that Muslims and Hindus were nothing but one people, but had at the same time given Pakistan the ethos on which were to be erected the various institutions of this newly founded state. Islam was the cause of the birth of this country and only Islam can justify its existence. http://www.daily.pk/world/worldnews/84-worldnews/6099-the-myth-of-a-united-india-and-indian-democracy-or-hypocrisy.html
I ask another question, in lieu of the corrupted politics of the past and of the present, how do these divisionary self-identities define a universal sanatan spiritual philosophy of authentic mukti which praises the God of love being present in every human being regardless of religious affiliation? And then ask yourselves if the current politicized Sikh identity has lost contact with the reality of univeral Sikhism open to all castes and religions as taught by the Sikh Guruji. Because that message of tolerance and universal acceptance is the profound philosophical viewpoint of sanatan Dharma contrasted with the ugly politics of the Singh Sabha exclusionary nationhood identity of today.

The Sikh identity is chela of Guru!
The Sikh identity is upholder of righteous Dharam!
The Sikh identity is seeing the unity in all men and women.
The Sikh identity is about mukti-merger into the pantheistic All-pervading Oneness of Parabrahm Narayana which is the True Self underlying all creation!
The Sikh identity is not a political objective or nationalistic communal bias.
The Sikh identity is not based on the failings on any other religious community.
The Sikh identity has nothing to do with defined nationhood by Singh Sabha.
The Sikh identity has nothing to do with armed insurrection or agitation against the Indian state.
The Sikh identity is not about prejudice or disdain for Hindus or political alliances with Muslims.

~Bhul chak maaf

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA

Harjas Bhain ji,
With no offense, I have found some of your conclusions totally baseless, some time I wonder how you can call your own Guru” a Vashnava” There is no solid proof of Guru Nanak’s initiation by any Vashnava, not a single proof where he himself states that actually Vashnava sect should by followed, contrary to it he addresses almost all kinds of sects and religions and inserted his own views if they some how resemble with Vashnava that doesn’t mean he was Vashnava. Calling a founder of Sikhism a Vashnava, it is nothing but displays of sheer ignorance. If Guru ji says “ we are not Hindus or Muslims” doesn’t it sufficient to refrain to judge Guru ji as Hindus or whatever/ If Gurus are not Hindus how their followers can be Hindus. Where is reason? I felt strongly, after turning seriously towards Sikhism, to live what Guru ji says and I noted down, tell me, why Guiru ji says” that Sikh I like who wakes up early and meditate on Him( Mehl-4), why Guru ji doesn’t say” that Vashnava or that Hindu I like who wakes up early and meditate”? Isn’t it irony that some thing forces you to prove only one thing that Sikhism is sanatam dharma. Why we need Sikhism any way if snatan dharma is there to satisfies us? In reality it is bundles of various sects and people are free to worship rates, monkeyes, Sun, Rivers etc. If Guru ji came only to correct Hinduism then why he got into dialogue with Yogis, Muslims? Why only he traveled so vast to see Gurmukhs, not Vashnava or spiritual Hindus( Sidh Gost?) He doesnt mention those words being enforced on him today.
Where did he write that He didn’t wear Janeo because janeo was different than Brahamans? He condemns janeo in totality as a fake because it gets burnt when body is cremated, only real one goes with the soul because real one is truthful living. I humbly request kindly do not say those things about Guru Nanak who didn’t say so. One should respect Guru one believes in, as I quoted numerous times, forget about all others, or me, just read POURI 27,Maajh Ki Vaar, Guru himself says he was personally asked by the Lord to contemplate only His name and ask others to do which he did. Why didn’t he write that he followed sanatama, Hinduism or Vashnava then got enlightened? Why to cook stories to enforce the views out come of desperation of those who think, in Sikhism, a lot of good is found contrary to those found in Vedas like human sacrifice, inequality, gods running after each other wives etc etc. You or I will not be happy if some one level us what we are not, how this should be taken in context of Guru ji. Who are theses guys who are doing such propaganda, what is their establishment that they are able to judge Guru ji as Vashnava. After all, there should be limit of abuse. How any one justify ones own views by ignoring Guru’s own words about enlightenment? To yogis he says” I have no miracles but His Naam( Sidh Gost) Regarding castes, Gurbani clearly says” jaat da garbh na kareo koee(M-3), a full rejection of castes, so Sikhism is totally different in this concept too.. Why you are keep calling Him Vashnava? Did any where in Guru Granth Sahib Guru ji was called Vashnava? There is no concept of HUKAM in Vashnavas, no concept of His grace either. Concept of liberation is also looked at a different point of view. Even Vashnava has Gods with bodies, in Sikhism, God hasn’t a body, only His Nirgun form is pined for. You haven’t even proved Guru ji advocated Vashnava, how you can label him to be Vashnvaa. Calling Guru Nanak a Vishnu avtaar is also distortion because compliments are every where in Gurbani, for example, Sikh is called Guru in Gurbani, does it mean every Sikh is Guru?
[/FONT]
Whatever you are talking is distortion; It continued for a while. People who saw Sikhs in seventeenth century, their way of living, their behavior towards others, called them totally separate from Hindus or Vashnava. Even Persian writers who hated Sikhs didn’t say a word about Sikhs a part of Hindus, in Mughal records Sikhs are known as Nanak panthi notVashnava or Hindus. Why? In another post you said” it is not believable that when Sikhs were hiding, they let Hindus take over their Dharmsalas.” Well History says so, during that time, Massa Ranghar kind of people took over Harmandar, why don’t you see it was possible. They were just trying to save themselves how would they control every thing, their heads were priced and people were hunting them, then why it is not possible that people in disguise took over Sikh Holy places and stayed there to make money and none of them were persecuted by Mughals? Isnt it amazing? it doesn’t make any sense that Guru ji was Avtar of Vishnu if Gurbani of Guru Nanak is read in totality. All those quotes are compliments, nothing more than that. One should at least once study Guru Granth Sahib completely before bad mouthing about Guru Nanak. From similarities you have gone further to convert him in to another sect. I have read all the quotes you have been giving, kindly read all those in context of that complete Shabad they were taken from, picture is different. Openly you blame Singh Sabha or western influence for distortion of Gurbani, lets forget Singh Sabha or its agenda, lets Bhain ji discuss that portion of Gurbani where you smell total Hinduism and see who are right with one condition, Guru Message must be kept in totality.

Whatever you are saying about people demanding separate state, how can you conclude they represent all Sikhs or Sikhism in its totality? A good Sikh must not hate Hindus, Muslims and people of other faiths. Sikhism teaches against caste (complete rejection), no worship of Sargun form but one Creator, the Infinite who doesn’t take birth. This was also stressed by writing Mool mantra before every Shabad and Banis including Bhagatas in SGGS. Its repetition has meaning, there is no shabad without Mool mantra When people leave old faith, to drag that faith back to them, is nothing more than injustice done against those individuals. When Hindus are questioned in this context, no one is criticizing Hindu public but only those so called Hindus who purposefully try to spread wrong message.
For the Harmony between Sikhs and Hindus, we do not need to say that Sikhs are part of Hinduism, we must admit who ever is other than Sikhs deserve the same respect as Sikhs do, if any one thinks otherwise, doesn’t represent Sikhism for sure.
Vaishnav philosophy was reform of the caste and varna system, from hereditary
separatism, to authentic spiritual hierarchy. In keeping with Vaishnav sants, believed and taught that the REAL Brahmin was the one who is devoted to love of God, and not some hereditary fiefdom. Gurbani is not entirely against caste. It is against caste discrimination and hereditary distinctions.
Sikhism totally rejects it. Guru ji went further by saying actually He lives in the lowest, that is rejection of the hypocrisy of being High caste.( Asa dee Vaar)
Lets see below what Guru ji says to under stand why we do not like to be called Hindus., first stress is given on contemplating on Him
ਸੂਹੀ ਮਹਲਾ ਵਿਸਰਹਿ ਨਾਹੀ ਜਿਤੁ ਤੂ ਕਬਹੂ ਸੋ ਥਾਨੁ ਤੇਰਾ ਕੇਹਾ ਆਠ ਪਹਰ ਜਿਤੁ ਤੁਧੁ ਧਿਆਈ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਹੋਵੈ ਦੇਹਾ
Suhi 5th Guru. What kind is that place of Thine, O Lord, where the mortal forgets Thee not ever, and where he contemplates Thee throughout the eight watches and his body becomes pure?
ਮੇਰੇ ਰਾਮ ਹਉ ਸੋ ਥਾਨੁ ਭਾਲਣ ਆਇਆ ਖੋਜਤ ਖੋਜਤ ਭਇਆ ਸਾਧਸੰਗੁ ਤਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਸਰਣਾਈ ਪਾਇਆ ਰਹਾਉ
My Lord I have come to search that place. Searching and searching, I found it to be the society of saints, whose sanctuary I have now entered. Pause.
ਬੇਦ ਪੜੇ ਪੜਿ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੇ ਹਾਰੇ ਇਕੁ ਤਿਲੁ ਨਹੀ ਕੀਮਤਿ ਪਾਈ ਸਾਧਿਕ ਸਿਧ ਫਿਰਹਿ ਬਿਲਲਾਤੇ ਤੇ ਭੀ ਮੋਹੇ ਮਾਈ
Reading and reciting the Vedas Brahma grew, He found not even a sesame's worth of God. The strivers and adepts roam about wailing They too are bewitched by mammon.
Look here Bhainji, it is not Singh Sabha or westerners to misguide us, see what is said above, those so called sargun forms of the Creators couldn’t find even a little of HIM. If so, how they become part of three murti concept and rule the spiritual world, if they don’t even know Him. Do you think it is a praise of these guys? Better than them were Kabir ji, Namdev ji. Neither wisdom of Veda could help them nor Braham, for use how much are they useful then? Why then Sikhs are part of this family of ten Avtaras, Brahma etc
Here I am not speaking against Hindus or their Gods but simply saying Guru ji says that they just couldn’t know any thing about Him. If Brahma couldn’t do, Vedas couldn’t do, why these things are forced on Sikhs as wisdom or individuals of high super being to guide any one. Why Gurbani says Hindu is blind? It doesn’t ridicule them but is saying that they just stopped at His sargun Sroop as many so called Sikhs have.
ਦਸ ਅਉਤਾਰ ਰਾਜੇ ਹੋਇ ਵਰਤੇ ਮਹਾਦੇਵ ਅਉਧੂਤਾ ਤਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਭੀ ਅੰਤੁ ਪਾਇਓ ਤੇਰਾ ਲਾਇ ਥਕੇ ਬਿਭੂਤਾ

There have been ten incarnations are Kings and forsakers like Shiva. They too found not thine limit, though some grew weary of smearing their body with ashes.
Do you see that Bhain ji, how come these so called ten incarnations couldn’t even know Him, look at the pitiable condition of Shiva!, it is not Singh Sabha or me, it is Guru ji. Bottom line is this; Guru Message doesn’t ridicule any one but doesn’t either promote other avatars as worthy of taking guidance. Why some picked up portions from Geeta or Vedas are posted repeatedly when there is stuff that really doesn’t support peak of spirituality, actually it degrades humanity and it is not posted by you. Take example from Ramayana, Ram chander beheads low caste just because he was contemplating on Lord. No body talks about that. He sends his wife sita, for whom he fought for, to jungle because a washer man said woman was not worthy to keep in home after staying with other man, what kind of spiritual being he was who was taking guidance from an idiot. That is another problem why Sikhs just want to be called Sikhs, if you become part of combination of all sects( Hinduism), you have to put with all unacceptable views, and none is there like this in SGGS Ji.
Lets see where Guru ji praises them and where discard them as no use to follow due to unacceptable traditions or rituals in them
Aasa mehla 1 -12 ਰਾਗੁ ਆਸਾ ਮਹਲਾ ਛਿਅ ਘਰ ਛਿਅ ਗੁਰ ਛਿਅ ਉਪਦੇਸ ਗੁਰੁ ਗੁਰੁ ਏਕੋ ਵੇਸ ਅਨੇਕ
Asa Measure, First Guru. There are six systems, six their teachers and six their doctrines. But the Teacher of teachers is but one Lord, though he has various vestures.
Above hint is at acceptable truth, now look which is not acceptable

(920) ਸਿਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਸਾਸਤ੍ਰ ਪੁੰਨ ਪਾਪ ਬੀਚਾਰਦੇ ਤਤੈ ਸਾਰ ਜਾਣੀ ਤਤੈ ਸਾਰ ਜਾਣੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਬਾਝਹੁ ਤਤੈ ਸਾਰ ਜਾਣੀ ਤਿਹੀ ਗੁਣੀ ਸੰਸਾਰੁ ਭ੍ਰਮਿ ਸੁਤਾ ਸੁਤਿਆ ਰੈਣਿ ਵਿਹਾਣੀ ਗੁਰ ਕਿਰਪਾ ਤੇ ਸੇ ਜਨ ਜਾਗੇ ਜਿਨਾ ਹਰਿ ਮਨਿ ਵਸਿਆ ਬੋਲਹਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਬਾਣੀ ਕਹੈ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਸੋ ਤਤੁ ਪਾਏ ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਲਿਵ ਲਾਗੈ ਜਾਗਤ ਰੈਣਿ ਵਿਹਾਣੀ ੨੭
The Simritis and Shastras discriminate between good and evil, but know not the essence of the Real Thing. Without the Guru, they know not the essence of the Reality, know not the essence of the Reality. The

world is asleep in three modes and doubt, and in slumber its night(life) passes away. By Guru's grace, only those mortals keep awake, in whose mind the Lord abides and who utter the Nectar-word. Says Nanak, he alone obtains quintessence, who ever remains merged in the Lord's love and passes his life-night awake
See Bhain ji, what kind of grading scripture of wisdom get from Guru ji

Even Bhagavat Geeta says so, means Hinduism is attacking Vedas
ved vaadrta..parth ( Geeta 2-42)( imbued with the words of Veda, mind cannot contemplate on Lord)
tregun visheea veda( Geeta 2-450 Vedas take to worldly three gunas)
Guru ji says all including every one known in any religion is created by Him, that is it. Nothing more than that, it further says that all just sing at HIS door( SGGS 839) and like Ram, he created numerous, so don’t worship them but Him, there are many like Ram or Krishn, we don’t know(SGGS 464) Guru ji wants to follow that Guru who shows HIM every where and within. Not even any name of Vashnava sect member mentioned as” "Vashnave worth guiding any one." Gurbani simply mentions names of Bhagatas without labeling them with any sect, don’t you get it?. Gurmukh, Sikh are praised because they follow Guru to worship one Nirguna. Bhagatas were praised because they contemplated on Him. If names they use for Lord Sound Hindu, please read the whole shabad, it is not about Sargun form but nirgun form. All stress is to imbue with Nirgun form and move on, instead of indulging in worshiping sargun form. That was another reason Guru ji calls” burn mouth” who calls Nirguna takes birth.
ਸਹਜ ਸੂਖ ਆਨੰਦ ਨਾਮ ਰਸ ਹਰਿ ਸੰਤੀ ਮੰਗਲੁ ਗਾਇਆ ਸਫਲ ਦਰਸਨੁ ਭੇਟਿਓ ਗੁਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਤਾ ਮਨਿ ਤਨਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਧਿਆਇਆ ੪੯
Poise, peace and bliss are in the Name Nectar, So the Lord's saints sing His praise. Nanak has seen the accredited sight of the Guru and with his soul and body he has pondered over the Lord Master.
Here is what Guru ji wants his followers to follow, period. No dreams, no imagination and no distortion of message I don’t care about what Singh Sabha or western interpretation is all about, I am just reading what Guru ji wrote here.
ਸੂਹੀ ਮਹਲਾ ਕਰਮ ਧਰਮ ਪਾਖੰਡ ਜੋ ਦੀਸਹਿ ਤਿਨ ਜਮੁ ਜਾਗਾਤੀ ਲੂਟੈ ਨਿਰਬਾਣ ਕੀਰਤਨੁ ਗਾਵਹੁ ਕਰਤੇ ਕਾ ਨਿਮਖ ਸਿਮਰਤ ਜਿਤੁ ਛੂਟੈ

Suhi 5th Guru. The rituals, religious rites and hypocrisies, which are seen, them plunders Yama the tax-gatherer. Sing thou the pure praise of the Creator, contemplating whom, even for a moment, thou shalt be emancipated.
Guru Granth Sahib is all about Love of Creator and His creation and stresses on worshiping Him only
ਸੰਤਹੁ ਸਾਗਰੁ ਪਾਰਿ ਉਤਰੀਐ ਜੇ ਕੋ ਬਚਨੁ ਕਮਾਵੈ ਸੰਤਨ ਕਾ ਸੋ ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦੀ ਤਰੀਐ ਰਹਾਉ
O saints, thus is crossed the world-ocean. He who practises the word of the saints, he is ferried across by Guru's Grace. Pause.
ਬੇਦ ਕਤੇਬ ਸਿਮ੍ਰਿਤਿ ਸਭਿ ਸਾਸਤ ਇਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਪੜਿਆ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਹੋਈ ਏਕੁ ਅਖਰੁ ਜੋ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜਾਪੈ ਤਿਸ ਕੀ ਨਿਰਮਲ ਸੋਈ
All the Vedas, the religious books of the Muslims, the Simirtis and Shastras, by reading these, salvation is not obtained. He, who by Guru's instruction utters the one Name; He gathers the pure glory.
If Ved or Kuran/Bible were so important for Sikhs, why would Guru ji view them like this? If we accept they are good as you advocate, why Guru ji says otherwise, it means, regardless how good they are, they simply are not useful for a Guru follower. Does it mean we criticize Hindus, no, we are following what Guru said, period.
ਖਤ੍ਰੀ ਬ੍ਰਾਹਮਣ ਸੂਦ ਵੈਸ ਉਪਦੇਸੁ ਚਹੁ ਵਰਨਾ ਕਉ ਸਾਝਾ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪੈ ਉਧਰੈ ਸੋ ਕਲਿ ਮਹਿ ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਮਾਝਾ ੫੦
The four castes of warriors, priests, farmers and menials are equal partners in divine instruction. Nanak, he who under Guru's instruction utters the Name of God, who abides in all the hearts, is saved in the Dark-age.
Is Guru ji accepting four castes here? He is commenting on castes already existed. A lot of is being said through His sargun sroop, why every thing is not accepted by
Guru ji then? Stone worshiping is condemned in Gurbani, that was also started by His Sargun form, then why to condemn stone worshiping as you say Caste system is made by Him as per Gurbani. Point Gurubani passes on is that all this is His play, one must make choices, Guru ji stood against all these, why? One needs to understand the context
[/FONT]
of Guru’s message to decipher its depth. See below, Guru ji addresses only at His Sargun form, is Guru ji is not saying, close your eyes and follow all His Sargun Form because He created them?
ਪਉੜੀ ਆਪੇ ਸੁਰਿ ਨਰ ਗਣ ਗੰਧਰਬਾ ਆਪੇ ਖਟ ਦਰਸਨ ਕੀ ਬਾਣੀ ਆਪੇ ਸਿਵ ਸੰਕਰ ਮਹੇਸਾ ਆਪੇ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਅਕਥ ਕਹਾਣੀ ਆਪੇ ਜੋਗੀ ਆਪੇ ਭੋਗੀ ਆਪੇ ਸੰਨਿਆਸੀ ਫਿਰੈ ਬਿਬਾਣੀ ਆਪੈ ਨਾਲਿ ਗੋਸਟਿ ਆਪਿ ਉਪਦੇਸੈ ਆਪੇ ਸੁਘੜੁ ਸਰੂਪੁ ਸਿਆਣੀ ਆਪਣਾ ਚੋਜੁ ਕਰਿ ਵੇਖੈ ਆਪੇ ਆਪੇ ਸਭਨਾ ਜੀਆ ਕਾ ਹੈ ਜਾਣੀ ੧੨
Pauri. Himself the Lord is the good man, heavenly herald and the celestial singer and Himself the utterer of the six schools of philosophy. The Lord Himself is the god of creation, the god of death and the god the nutrition. Through the Guru, He Himself narrates the unnarratable story. He Himself is the renunciator, Himself and enjoyer and Himself, becoming a solitarian, wanders about in wildernesses. The Lord discourses with himself, Himself He instructs and Himself is discreet, graceful and wise. Staging His Play, He Himself beholds it. The Lord Himself is the knower of all the creatures.
( quote)
Christians are the followers Of Jesus

Muslims follow Mohammed

Buddhists follow Buddha

Hindu's follow ????

That is what makes this whole debate a nonsense.
I agree but I add one more thing, Sikhs follow Guru Nanak
( quote0 behaviour of a person does not define the philosophy of a religion “
Absolutely true, doubtless.
I have been involved in Khalistani communities for quite some time. The issue is first, why do Sikhs keep interpreting malicious political oppresion of secular Congress Party as "Acts of ALL Hindus?" Founder of Arya Samaj is not voice of Hindus.
On what ground you are saying that Bhain ji?, people know that he is revered by Hindus. Are you aware of how many schools and colleges are being run in his name?
He speaks for Arya Samaj. It is the illusion of Singh Sabha to paint their political opponents into corner as representative of entire Hindu Panth. Why do we continue this deceit?
I am not supporter of Singh Sabha, why I see Hindu fanatics and their attacks on every one other than Hindu. Why Hindutava? Why not Hindustantava, Bhartvarshtava? It is not only fanatics in Sikhism, also fustics in Hinduism who play all dirty game.
And I don't understand why the Sikh community continues to ignore such a volatile issue. Why is the general mainstream tacitly condoning and approving the worst attitudes of self-segregation and separatism and ignoring the terroristic implications of such divisions?
Why do you think bhain ji that all Sikhs are standing behind Khalistanis?
Minority segments in the Sikh population are actively praising and promoting terrorist acts as means to an end of achieving Sikh independance, nationhood and Khalistan. Can we afford to be blind to the ramifications of what that means for India? For innocent Hindu populations?
If you say”Innocent Hindu population, innocent Sikh population, innocent Muslim population and innocent Christian population, should be protected from fanatics found in Hindu population, Muslim population, Sikh population and Christian population” it would sound more reasonable

What kind of nationhood are we taking about that actively praises collaboration with radical elements of Al Qaeda in Pakistan and war with India?
Do they represent all Sikhs as Arya smaj doesn’t represent all Hindus
Very true, they are fanatics but do not blame only fanatic Sikhs( I am not supporting them but saying both play dirty games why to pick one to blame.) in this context because that is not fair approach either, Fanatics are never religious regardless the ties they have with any religion. After having said that for a record, Sikhs are not against Hindus, action brings reactions. Punjabi Hindu accepted Hindi as mother tongue while speaking Punjabi as their mother tongue. Dont you think, it wouldn’t bring any reaction. It was politics not religions neither Hinduism nor Sikhism
What's the harm in showing respect and tolerance to the Vedic ideology in Gurbani?
What do you want Bhain ji? What Sikhs should do with Vedas? What should we do with Athrva Veda in which obscenity and human sacrifice is advocated? The only time when their Gods are questioned when they force their sects on us saying you are Hindus otherwise we respect them. I feel no Sikh hates people of other faiths, if any does; he/she is not Sikh.
Are Sikhs going to Hindu temples and ridiculing them? I just cannot understand what do you want from a Sikh to please Hindus only?

What's the harm in praising the good things in Hindu religion?
Muslims praise their religion, Christian praise their religions, Hindus praise their religions, so do Sikhs, what is wrong with any of them after all, faiths are basically good for spirituality.
What's the harm in acknowledging a brotherhood between Sikhs and Hindus?
Who are those Sikhs who are against Hindu public? If you see, they are not Sikhs
[/FONT]
Why harmony can be brought by saying we are part of Hinduism?
Why harmony cannot be brought by saying we are not Hindus as we are not Muslims Why only Hindus are important to bring Harmony? What about Muslims? Christians and others?

All Vashnava Gods have bodies but Sikhs God has no body, He doesn’t take birth, so doesn’t die, no specific form, in simple words Sikhs worship only His Nirgun form; here is the essence of Sikhism in simple words, no three conceptual powers, no Gods with bodies but HIM formless means Nirguna.
ਏਕਮ ਏਕੰਕਾਰੁ ਨਿਰਾਲਾ ਅਮਰੁ ਅਜੋਨੀ ਜਾਤਿ ਜਾਲਾ ਅਗਮ ਅਗੋਚਰੁ ਰੂਪੁ ਰੇਖਿਆ ਖੋਜਤ ਖੋਜਤ ਘਟਿ ਘਟਿ ਦੇਖਿਆ ਜੋ ਦੇਖਿ ਦਿਖਾਵੈ ਤਿਸ ਕਉ ਬਲਿ ਜਾਈ ਗੁਰ ਪਰਸਾਦਿ ਪਰਮ ਪਦੁ ਪਾਈ
The first (Lunar day): The Unique Lord is Peerless, Immortal, Unborn, and without caste and involvement. He is Unapproachable and Unapprehensible and has no form or outline. Searching and searching, I have seen Him in all the hearts. Devoted am I unto him, who sees and makes others see the Lord. By Guru's grace I have obtained the Supreme status.
So when you call me a part of Hinduism, I feel, you are enforcing numerous gods, devtas and others things on me; however, when you call me a Sikh, I have Guru and the eternal Infinite who is beyond birth. Being a Sikh I reject all that they worship and do as religious practices but it doesn’t mean I am anti Hindus. As they are free to worship whatever they think is all right, we Sikhs should be left alone to live as followers of Guru Nanak. Thanks

Feb 14, 2006

Harjas Bhain ji,
With no offense, I have found some of your conclusions totally baseless, some time I wonder how you can call your own Guru” a Vashnava” There is no solid proof of Guru Nanak’s initiation by any Vashnava, not a single proof where he himself states that actually Vashnava sect should by followed, contrary to it he addresses almost all kinds of sects and religions and inserted his own views if they some how resemble with Vashnava that doesn’t mean he was Vashnava. Calling a founder of Sikhism a Vashnava, it is nothing but displays of sheer ignorance. If Guru ji says “ we are not Hindus or Muslims” doesn’t it sufficient to refrain to judge Guru ji as Hindus or whatever/ If Gurus are not Hindus how their followers can be Hindus.

Dear Pk70,
those threads which were discussing opinion of whether Sikhism is a Vaishnav philosophy have been closed. And so I cannot continue this discussion where my responses are deleted without notice and threads closed. At present we are discussing how attitudes of Sikh separatism and independance are related to attitudes of hostility to Hinduism and Hindus and what relationship it bears to Sikh militancy and establishment of independant Sikh Nation of Khalistan. Please remain relevant to the current topic and avoid provocation of labeling my opinions as "totally baseless," "displays of sheer ignorance" and such, as I cannot defend myself in response. Moreover such accusations are of the nature of "personal" attack and do not of themselves address or clarify a different proof or position. They are hardly fitting comments to find on a "fair" discussion forum.

Why do you think bhain ji that all Sikhs are standing behind Khalistanis?
They are not. But the attitudes of separatism, hostility, and glorification of violence remain unaddressed by the mainstream Sikh community and creates a tacit approval to the youth to continue the Singh Sabha ideology of Sikh separatism, independant nationhood and hostility to Hindus and anything associated with Hindu religion which makes any realistic discussion of Vaishnav philosophy in Gurbani a subject of derailment. Moreover it can't be denied that entire segments of the Sikh community in diaspora are in fact supporters of an independant state of Khalistan.

On what ground you are saying that Bhain ji?, people know that he is revered by Hindus. Are you aware of how many schools and colleges are being run in his name?
He speaks for Arya Samaj. It is the illusion of Singh Sabha (Singh Sabha Movement) to paint their political opponents into corner as representative of entire Hindu Panth. Why do we continue this deceit?
I am not supporter of Singh Sabha, why I see Hindu fanatics and their attacks on every one other than Hindu. Why Hindutava? Why not Hindustantava, Bhartvarshtava? It is not only fanatics in Sikhism, also fustics in Hinduism who play all dirty game.
There are all kinds of corrupted people and politicians. But only Sikhs defines themselves as antagonistic to any relationship with Hindu identity, even philosophically due to defining Hinduism as entirely evil and corrupt. So we are discussing, not every sin and sinner in the world, but the issues of negativity in the Sikh self-definition. Regardless of whether someone claims to be a supporter of Singh Sabha, our current institutions of Sikh governance, including Shri Akal Takht Sahib and SGPC governance of every Sikh Gurdwara conforms to the Singh Sabha philosophy of radical independance from Hinduism and Hindustan.

Why harmony can be brought by saying we are part of Hinduism?
Why harmony cannot be brought by saying we are not Hindus as we are not Muslims Why only Hindus are important to bring Harmony? What about Muslims? Christians and others?
Because the independant Sikh identity is predicated on independant Sikh nationhood and per definition it is treasonous and oppositional to the continuance of the Indian state as a collective. Rather than acknowledging the sanatan Dharma implicit in Gurubani, and the fact that Guru's families and majority of Sikhs came from Hindu families, or that in historical past the relationship between Sikhs and Hindus was in fact indistinguishable, the Singh Sabha reform mentality has created this endless pitched antagonism not only against relationship between Hindu philosophies in Gurbani, but to Sikhs as historically related to land of Indus Valley. And so it cannot be denied that a fanatical and vocal element within mainstream Sikhism itself continues to portray the most negativistic descriptions of Hindu religion in conjunction with attacks against "Hindustan and the brahmin state." It can be directly shown there is an association between Tat Khalsa Singh Sabha mentalities and political collaboration with Pakistan for independant Sikh nationhood. This explains the mass conversions among Singh Sabha in the early 1900's to convert Muslims and anti-Hindu Dalits into politically registered Singh Sabha Sikhs. And it explains the continued attempts to belittle the sanatan philosophies in Gurbani as being parallel with some equality of philosphy shared with Islam. I have asked the question numerous times now, "Please show me where in Gurbani Guruji adopted tenets and belief system of Islam." Association with Vaishnav influenced Sufis is not the same thing as sharing doctrinal relationship with monotheistic Islam. Vaishnavism came hundreds of years before the Sufi phenomenon. It can't even be considered that Sufism altered the teachings of Vaishnavism, when Sufi practices modified to include a form of Vaishnavism, most notably Naam jap, and jap of Ram Naam, bhakti sankirtan, mystical dhyaan and Simran, and raising kundalini Shakti to open the dasam duaar. Yet this incredible assertion that Sikhism is as much a part of Islam as it is a part of Hinduism remains vogue among the Singh Sabha Sikh communities. And that is the only purpose of further alienating and denying a Hindu relationship to assert such things.

All Vashnava Gods have bodies but Sikhs God has no body,
Vaishnav philosophy gave us the teaching that God is both nirguna and sarguna. Vaishnavism believes that the ultimate is Maha-Vishnu (All-pervading) or Parabrahm (before the Brahma). It is the formless God which Vaishnavs acknowledge is the Ultimate, but He is revered in form of His sargun avtaaras, which incidentally are also named and referred to as God in Gurbani. It is taught that japping the Naam of the sargun manifestations is the boat of mukti in the Kaliyug, since no one can jap the name of the formless who is beyond language. Hence the Vaishnavs jap Naam of God as Ram, Krishna, Vishnu, Vasudeyva, Govind, Gopala, Narayana, Parabrahm, Mukundey, etc. And if this sounds familiar, it should. It's all in Gurbani.

So when you call me a part of Hinduism, I feel, you are enforcing numerous gods, devtas and others things on me; however, when you call me a Sikh, I have Guru and the eternal Infinite who is beyond birth.
Vaishnavs don't worship the demi-gods, so no one is imposing anything on you to point out the obvious doctrinal similarity with this sect within Hinduism and Gurbani teaching. A Sikh only means you are a chela of a Guru, and devoted to the Guru's teachings. It has become corrupted to mean a host of institutional things which definitions are even contrary to Gurbani teaching, such as Sikh Rehit Maryada claiming Sikhs don't believe in avtaaras, when Gurbani clearly defines Sikh Guru as an avtaara.

Also, simply calling yourself doesn't mean you have the eternal and the Hindu's do not. That is really an ethnocentric philosophy of arrogance. The God of eternity belongs to every human being regardless of religion. It is no Sikh exclusive right to claim to have the Infinite God who is beyond birth. If you studied even the simplest basics of Vaishnav philosophy you would know that you are falsely defining Vaishnavism, and that the Vaishnav scriptures themselves refer to God as Unborn, who descends into sansaara in avataaras as a Guru, to guide a world in darkness back to the Dharma light.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Dear Members,

It has been discussed by Forum Leaders and members before, that in order to have a healthier discussion, the posts must be shorter and raise a maximum of 2 questions on an on-going discussion. This is to give the responser better understanding to the question posed.

Most people do not have the time to read pages of notes because the response then will not be accurate. It takes both sides to make a good discussion. :yes:
So how about taking one thing at a time for a beginning ?

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

in my opinion, Nam Jap ji,

Sometimes the answers are self-evident. Sometimes the questions presume a basis in oversimplification and generalizations that are not warranted by facts or reason.

Sorry to hit hard -- this is hard talk - and my style of moderation portends this. Fairness all the way around requires fairness to Sikh identity.

Totally agree and also if Wikipedia is used as references, members should make sure that there are citations to back up the facts.
I find that most of the posts are irrelevant to the topic at hand. I find it has become a habit of some members to deviate from the topic and speak about everything else which has little bearing to the topic and which require to be discussed (in such details) separately altogether under a different heading.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006

Dear Members,

It has been discussed by Forum Leaders and members before, that in order to have a healthier discussion, the posts must be shorter and raise a maximum of 2 questions on an on-going discussion. This is to give the responser better understanding to the question posed.

Most people do not have the time to read pages of notes because the response then will not be accurate. It takes both sides to make a good discussion. :yes:
So how about taking one thing at a time for a beginning ?
Haha, you are right! I often noticed that I skip over long posts just because it's impossible for me to read them. Good advice!

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA

Vaishnav philosophy gave us the teaching that God is both nirguna and sarguna. Vaishnavism believes that the ultimate is Maha-Vishnu (All-pervading) or Parabrahm (before the Brahma). It is the formless God which Vaishnavs acknowledge is the Ultimate, but He is revered in form of His sargun avtaaras, which incidentally are also named and referred to as God in Gurbani. It is taught that japping the Naam of the sargun manifestations is the boat of mukti in the Kaliyug, since no one can jap the name of the formless who is beyond language. Hence the Vaishnavs jap Naam of God as Ram, Krishna, Vishnu, Vasudeyva, Govind, Gopala, Narayana, Parabrahm, Mukundey, etc. And if this sounds familiar, it should. It's all in Gurbani( quote Harjas Kaur Khalsa ji)
Harjas Bhain ji, I am trying to discuss only those points you hinted at in your recent post, rest I am not going to bring back
You read that Vashnava, I didn’t, to be honest with you, my journey ends at Guru Nanak so I am not interested in reading that either. If I go with your interpretation, Vashnvas teaches us that Lord has two forms, Sargun and Nirgun. He sends avtar to enlighten people. I am with you, not necessarily agreed with you but just to listen about them through you. Now as stated by you” they have main Vishnu, Parbraham, one part of Vishnu incarnates as Sarguna . As people cannot contemplate on Nirgun, so by worshiping Sargun, people get mukti. As per your statement, Gurbani uses those names to contemplate on those names because it is hard to contemplate on Nirguna. If we go by this idea, we are in a mess, our attention is divided, Second Mehal calls it “ duality” he says” only one can be loved that is Nirguna.( Asa dee Vaar) All others who came through body met their end, only beyond is that Nirguna form which you say they believe it is not easy to contemplate on. Vashnavas also worship sargun form Krishna, in Geeta, Krishna says” I am God” also he says” I am son of Vasudeva( Lord) Gurbani accepts himas Sargun sroop but no where else it says” He was God or son of God,” as Krishna claims. I am not really care about singh sabha or its agenda, my thinking is to see if all Gurbani stands in align with Vashnava, if not, there are only similarities . All the names you gave are used for Nirgun form not in sense of sargun in Gurbani because Guru ji is very strict in context of calling Him” takes birth” You quote any shabad, I shall discuss with you. I quote a few Guru Vaak here, just to see how those names are used for Nirgun not for sargun, the reason I say is that in Gurbani, Krishnas deceptive attitude is expressed, Ram’s ordinary man’s behavior is described, all other well known names are really not considered as guiding light for Sikhs. Here is Guru bachan unlike Vashnava’s complete philosophy ( as they say He comes in sargun srop to enlighten people), Gurbani stresses only on Nirguna
ਜਿਨ ਕਉ ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਥਾਪਿਆ ਤਿਨ ਮੇਟਿ ਸਕੈ ਕੋਇ ਓਨਾ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਨਿਧਾਨੁ ਹੈ ਨਾਮੋ ਪਰਗਟੁ ਹੋਇ ਨਾਉ ਪੂਜੀਐ ਨਾਉ ਮੰਨੀਐ ਅਖੰਡੁ ਸਦਾ ਸਚੁ ਸੋਇ
None can unseat then whom the True Guru has installed. Within then is the Name treasure and through the Name they are renowned. They worship God's Name and believe in nothing but the Name. Ever imperishable is that True Lord.

Now look at the below Guru Vaak, here many names are given to Nirgun Entity
ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਿ ਦਿਨਸੁ ਰਾਤਿ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਹਰਿ ਧਨੁ ਜਾਨੁ ਸਭਿ ਸੁਖ ਹਰਿ ਰਸ ਭੋਗਣੇ ਸੰਤ ਸਭਾ ਮਿਲਿ ਗਿਆਨੁ ਨਿਤਿ ਅਹਿਨਿਸਿ ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਸੇਵਿਆ ਸਤਗੁਰਿ ਦੀਆ ਨਾਮੁ
Meditate on God God's Name day and night and by Guru's grace deem God's Name thy treasure. By meeting the society of saints thou shalt acquire Divine Knowledge and enjoy all comforts and God's elixir. He, whom the True Guru has given the Name, ever serves Lord God day and night.
Bhain ji as I follow you, in this Guru Vaak, “ Ram” is used for Him,, Har is used for Him, Prabh is used for Him. If we say here Guru ji is using these names for Ram or Shiva( Har), then Gurbani teaches us to worship those guys who are known behind these names. Truth is otherwise, Guru ji stresses on Nam( above quote, stress is on Nirguna), some time without any names at all. So I feel that looking at” Ram’ Krishan” words His entity is dragged to those historical people about whom Gurbani Gurbani says” those kings were considered incarnation but actually were not, a quote was given before. If we go by Vashnava thought only, we are stuck with theses names but Guru ji takes us to right Source that is Him, if Vashnava practiced both plans, admitting there is Nirguna but there is Sarguna that can be worshiped then Gurubani detours from that thought only to Nirguna and Sarguna form is not worshipable.
which definitions are even contrary to Gurbani teaching, such as Sikh Rehit Maryada claiming Sikhs don't believe in avtaaras, when Gurbani clearly defines Sikh Guru as an avtaara
Gurbani doesn’t say Guru Nanak was incarnation of Vishnu. That also not right because none of the Gurus said so. Compliments are distorted and called Guru Nanak God, incarnation of Vishnu. If you give quote from Gurbani, I shall happily show you what that meant in context of totality of the Shabad. Sikh Rehat maryada is not ideal for me since it has flaw any way, it should be revised time to time since it is not directed by Guru ji. So we have no disagreement on that
Also, simply calling yourself doesn't mean you have the eternal and the Hindu's do not. That is really an ethnocentric philosophy of arrogance. The God of eternity belongs to every human being regardless of religion. It is no Sikh exclusive right to claim to have the Infinite God who is beyond birth.
I agree, even there are other faiths HE has given to people to get enlightened. I am not capable of worshiping every thing; I can only worship Him as creator of all. Sikhs do not claim that only Sikhi brings union with Lord and they should not being respectful to His Hukam( another concept Vashnava doesn’t have), as they are being buried under avalounche of incarnated Gods, they have to cry hard to tell the [/FONT] world that they only believe in Infinite beyond birth, nothing more than that. By saying so, they do not take away others right to have God. Muslims say He is in Kaba, so it be, Hindus see Him in many forms, all right.
Am I only right? That is not my claim. Are they wrong, I am not their judge but Gurbani says they don’t use their sight( Hindu is blind) but Gurbani also says that every one is under His ordinance, how then others can be wrong then? Obviously they are not for Sikhs as advised by Guru ji
Please show me where in Gurbani Guruji adopted tenets and belief system of Islam.
Bhain ji, I hope, you are aware of this fact that Guru ji didn’t criticize Islam either; he only pointed out corrupt religious guides and rulers aligned with them, actually Guru goes further by telling them how to be good Muslims. In a same tune, he says to others too including Vashnava, Hindus etc. My stand is not with those who say Sikhism adopts Islam’s tenants, I think they forcibly trying to prove it just for their own agenda. Guru ji accepts their Allah as Allah who is not Vishnu or who incarnates; if Guru ji believed in Vashnava concept of Sargun from who descends as avtars, he wouldn’t say those kings were created and who are considered His incarnations, that only is pretty big stand against any prevailed philosophy. Partially Guru ji is closer to Islam’s oneness of God who doesn’t incarnate, Fifth Nanak stresses on it by repeating His being Ajooni every where in SGGS Ji. As Guru ji detours from Hinduism, he detours from Islam too by accepting His Creation a part of Him unlike Islam. So I agree on that while disagreeing on the other claim.
Last comments on separate state, it is all political, it has nothing to do with religion. Even if Sikhs get separate state, it will be very much corrupt one as I have seen all Sikhs in politics rarely any one follow Guru ji. Youth is being used and if you are aware of Dr Chuhan, so called founder of this moment, where did he land? There are a lot of Sikhs out there who do not support this idiotic thinking. After having said that, there are discriminating policies of central Govt. towards [/FONT]Punjab[/FONT] specially ( usually that thing happens with other states too if Govt. in power doesn’t represent them in any way). Preaching hatred towards any one, being Sikh, it is self inflicted disease that ends the goal of a Sikh. I must mention the role of fanatic Hindus and political parties who flame religious sentiments with many excuses in name of religion. Reactions are inevitable. If these fanatics so called Sikhs are doing that, fanatics Hindus are also in high gear to hurt the harmony most of the people want to have. Then why only one side needs to be criticized, criticize all culprits. Thanks for bearing with me.

[/FONT]

KulwantK

SPNer
Oct 31, 2007
"There is no Hindu, there is no Musselman, there is only God."
Nanak is telling us that just because you may adopt a particular form on the outside, does not make you special in the eyes of the Divine, because each of us is already a precious child of the Divine, so there is no reason to be arguing about it.
However, we human beings do need some sort of a structure. Some need it more than others. Guru knows that, and so did Nanak. It all culminated with Guru Gobind Singh giving us the wonderful gifts he gave us; to enable others, no matter of what faith, to ask us for help when they needed it.
Sikhism is not some sort of sect of either Hinduism or Islam. It differs from both in some very distinct ways. Sikhism does not accept the caste system, which is absolutely part and parcel of Hinduism. Sikhism also holds women equal to men, which is not part of Islam.
When you are talking about such obvious and pervasive realities as gender and socio-economic status, you are talking about some very bench-mark distinctions.
People can be content to split hairs, so to speak, about very detailed minutiae of where one or the other custom comes from, such as how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, for example, but at the end of the day it boils down to the question of how do you want to live your life and most importantly, how do you want to carry on your most precious relationship; that of the Divine and yourself? What sort of structure works for you?
Many people want to say that Sikhism is a sect of this or that religion because, I think, they are, deep down, deathly afraid of the fact that Sikhs' only Sovreign is the Word of Guru; we will bow to no man (or woman, for that matter) because our relationship with God and Guru is the most important one, and that we are the only religious group that proclaims that ours is not necessarily the only path to the Divine. One of our Gurus gave his life for the Hindus to practice their way to the Divine. We also welcome anyone to Gurdwara; we turn no one away. That, in itself, can be most scary to those of other religions. It is an odd notion for them. We do not, and never have, claimed to be "the Chosen ones" of God. We believe all are chosen. God loves everyone, so no reason to fight or be exclusive. That idea is scary to many of other religions.
"If you can't see God in All
You can't see God at all."
Guru Nanak
Wahe Guru,
KulwantK

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
nice thoughts Kulwant ji

but reading all 5 pages of this discussion,

i came across thoughts like-

"their Gods"

""our God"

"right way"

:)
always sound funny to me:rofl:

Feb 14, 2006
Now as stated by you” they have main Vishnu, Parbraham, one part of Vishnu incarnates as Sarguna . As people cannot contemplate on Nirgun, so by worshiping Sargun, people get mukti. As per your statement, Gurbani uses those names to contemplate on those names because it is hard to contemplate on Nirguna.
Vishnu is a term as well as a name. Maha-Vishnu is referred to as Parameshwara, the Supreme Lord which is All-pervading the creation. So in this context, this name is not of some demi-God, but of the Ek Omkar, who is Supreme and all-pervading. If the Supreme God is all-pervading, then these demi-gods have to be seen in context as an aspect or element of something higher. I did not say by worshipping the sargun, people get mukti. That is a real distortion of what I said. I said certain Vaishnavs worship the sarguna, but Gurbani clarifies that japping the Naam we focus on the nirguna who is beyond the form because these forms turn to dust. What I said was we can't jap any Naams of the nirguna, because the nirguna is formless. How can you name that which is formless? You can't. And that explains why Gurbani uses the names of sargun avataaras as names of the One All-pervading.

People get mukti, not from the Naams, but it is more complex. Ek Omkar: Eko Brahman-Trimurthi-Creator. The Primal One Parabrahm has created the sansaara through the mode of three gunas, also called the Trimurthi or Brahm, Mahes, Vishnu. These demi-gods are part of the three gunas, and therefore in time, subject to Maya and duality. They do not know the limits of the nirguna, because no one knows the limits of the nirguna. "Only He Himself, knows Himself," Gurbani says. The Om or AUM also represents the Trimurthi, but it has a nasal bindu on it, which represents the Nada. This is the sound current of the Naad. Ekaksara is also like a single syllable, while pranava is the reverberation of the syllable. So from the Vedas we find the Ekaksara, which is the earliest description (later translated into Omkara), represents the vibration of sound which lies at the heart of creation. The Shabda comes from the Naad. We can't jap what the Naad is. But we can jap the Shabad. So in this way the Naam is related to the Shabad and also to vibration of the Naad. So let's not get oversimplified in distorting teachings.

ਨਾਮੁ ਵਸੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਅਨਹਦ ਵਾਜੇ ॥
naam vasai this anehadh vaajae ||
the Naam abides within him, and the unstruck sound current vibrates for him.
~SGGS Ji p. 1082

ਕਾਇਆ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾ ਬਿਸਨੁ ਮਹੇਸਾ ਸਭ ਓਪਤਿ ਜਿਤੁ ਸੰਸਾਰਾ ॥
kaaeiaa andhar brehamaa bisan mehaesaa sabh oupath jith sansaaraa ||
Within the body, are Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva, from whom the whole world emanated.

ਸਚੈ ਆਪਣਾ ਖੇਲੁ ਰਚਾਇਆ ਆਵਾ ਗਉਣੁ ਪਾਸਾਰਾ ॥
sachai aapanaa khael rachaaeiaa aavaa goun paasaaraa ||
The True Lord has staged and contrived His own play; the expanse of the Universe comes and goes.
~SGGS Ji p. 754

By japping Naam you are uniting the consciousness with the sound current which is the heart of creation and the Creator Himself. The sargun forms of the nirguna have no relevance, because it is the Divine Consciousness, the Jyot of the Nirguna which made the sargun forms purposeful, able to fulfill the hukam. You say the Sikhs only have hukam, Vaishnavs don't have this concept. As you admit you have limited knowledge of Vaishnav philosophy, I wonder why you continue to preach what is the Vaishnav philosophy and distort it all the time. Does this make sense? I'm surprised to be asked not to cite Wikepedia, yet the most unsupported denunciations of Hindu philosophy are made and no one puts these assertions on the "hotseat." Yet any assertion of mine is run over several cliffs and then deleted or thread closed to moderate a particular viewpoint. The oppositional views don't even bother to investigate what they are accusing. They just label something or make an accusation, and this is accepted. Yet I am asked for percentages, proofs, definitive and corroborative sources, etc. How can anyone speak of fairness on this forum when I am moderated so much, and no one else is.

Sikhs do not claim that only Sikhi brings union with Lord and they should not being respectful to His Hukam( another concept Vashnava doesn’t have), as they are being buried under avalounche of incarnated Gods, they have to cry hard to tell the world that they only believe in Infinite beyond birth, nothing more than that.

ਮਛੁ ਕਛੁ ਕੂਰਮੁ ਆਗਿਆ ਅਉਤਰਾਸੀ ॥
mashh kashh kooram aagiaa aoutharaasee ||
By the Pleasure of His Will, He took incarnation as the great fish and the tortoise.

ਕੇਸਵ ਚਲਤ ਕਰਹਿ ਨਿਰਾਲੇ ਕੀਤਾ ਲੋੜਹਿ ਸੋ ਹੋਇਗਾ ॥੮॥
kaesav chalath karehi niraalae keethaa lorrehi so hoeigaa ||8||
The Lord of beauteous hair, the Worker of miraculous deeds, whatever He wishes, comes to pass. ||8||

ਨਿਰਾਹਾਰੀ ਨਿਰਵੈਰੁ ਸਮਾਇਆ ॥
niraahaaree niravair samaaeiaa ||
He is beyond need of any sustenance, free of hate and all-pervading.

ਧਾਰਿ ਖੇਲੁ ਚਤੁਰਭੁਜੁ ਕਹਾਇਆ ॥
dhhaar khael chathurabhuj kehaaeiaa ||
He has staged His play; He is called the four-armed Lord.

ਸਾਵਲ ਸੁੰਦਰ ਰੂਪ ਬਣਾਵਹਿ ਬੇਣੁ ਸੁਨਤ ਸਭ ਮੋਹੈਗਾ ॥੯॥
saaval sundhar roop banaavehi baen sunath sabh mohaigaa ||9||
He assumed the beautiful form of the blue-skinned Krishna; hearing His flute, all are fascinated and enticed. ||9||
~SGGS Ji p. 1082

We see from Gurbani that the avataaras are a manifestation of the all-pervading Lord, nirguna. And that they took incarnation according to His will, hukam. So how can we say the avataaras don't keep the Hukam of God's command? When Gurbani is saying the Lord Himself took incarnation?

And I don't see how anyone is buried under an avalanch of gods in the concept of avataara which Gurbani says the all-pervading took incarnation, descended into sansaara in these forms. So it is only the One All-pervading. That is why Raam, and Krishna are not demi-gods, but avataaras of the One All-pervading nirguna.

As per your statement, Gurbani uses those names to contemplate on those names because it is hard to contemplate on Nirguna. If we go by this idea, we are in a mess, our attention is divided, Second Mehal calls it “ duality” he says” only one can be loved that is Nirguna.( Asa dee Vaar) All others who came through body met their end, only beyond is that Nirguna form which you say they believe it is not easy to contemplate on.
Our attention isn't divided to place on the Naam, because the Naam is vibrating the sound current of the Naad, meaning, the Naam is coming from higher dimensionality of the nirgun God Himself. It isn't "hard" or "not easy" to contemplate on, unless we have reached the Fourth stage of consciousness, Turiya, it is impossible. So how do we reach that stage? We reach it by cleansing the sankalpas of mind and panj bhoots by japping the Naam. This opens our spiritual sight so we may have darshan of the Vaheguru, and understanding, which we cannot penetrate duality until we have this understanding Brahm Jnana. And how do we get this understanding? Through Dhyaan and Simran of the Naam. Until our atma becomes merged in the Paramatma, we can't perceive the nirguna or even approach the limits. Once we are merged, we become Him. "Only He Himself, knows Himself."

Yes, all the sargun forms have turned to dust. It isn't the forms we worship, but the Divine Light pervading within them.

Vashnavas also worship sargun form Krishna, in Geeta, Krishna says” I am God” also he says” I am son of Vasudeva( Lord) Gurbani accepts him as Sargun sroop but no where else it says” He was God or son of God,” as Krishna claims.
Vaishnavas are people like any other and many worship the sargun forms and idols. But this is not taught in Vaishnava scriptures, so if we are analyzing the philosophy, as you mention in Bhagavad-Gita Krishna distinguishes that he is not some fellow, but Narayana Himself. Now, you are objecting because Krishna is an avataar, someone who has taken birth and can't seem to reconcile the Advaitist philosophy of All-pervading One God present in His creation. You say, "Gurbani accepts him as Sargun sroop but no where else it says” He was God or son of God,” as Krishna claims."

ਏਕ ਕ੍ਰਿਸਨੰ ਸਰਬ ਦੇਵਾ ਦੇਵ ਦੇਵਾ ਤ ਆਤਮਾ ॥
eaek kirasanan sarab dhaevaa dhaev dhaevaa th aathamaa ||
The One Lord Krishna is the Divine Lord of all; He is the Divinity of the individual soul.

ਆਤਮਾ ਬਾਸੁਦੇਵਸ੍ਯ੍ਯਿ ਜੇ ਕੋ ਜਾਣੈ ਭੇਉ ॥ਨਾਨਕੁ ਤਾ ਕਾ ਦਾਸੁ ਹੈ ਸੋਈ ਨਿਰੰਜਨ ਦੇਉ ॥੪॥
aathamaa baasudhaevasiy jae ko jaanai bhaeo || naanak thaa kaa dhaas hai soee niranjan dhaeo ||4||
Nanak is a slave to anyone who understands this mystery of the all-pervading Lord; he himself is the Immaculate Divine Lord. ||4||
~SGGS Ji p. 469

ਸਾਵਲ ਸੁੰਦਰ ਰੂਪ ਬਣਾਵਹਿ ਬੇਣੁ ਸੁਨਤ ਸਭ ਮੋਹੈਗਾ ॥੯॥
saaval sundhar roop banaavehi baen sunath sabh mohaigaa ||9||
He assumed the beautiful form of the blue-skinned Krishna; hearing His flute, all are fascinated and enticed. ||9||

ਬਨਮਾਲਾ ਬਿਭੂਖਨ ਕਮਲ ਨੈਨ ॥
banamaalaa bibhookhan kamal nain ||
He is adorned with garlands of flowers, with lotus eyes.

ਸੁੰਦਰ ਕੁੰਡਲ ਮੁਕਟ ਬੈਨ ॥
sundhar kunddal mukatt bain ||
His ear-rings, crown and flute are so beautiful.

ਸੰਖ ਚਕ੍ਰ ਗਦਾ ਹੈ ਧਾਰੀ ਮਹਾ ਸਾਰਥੀ ਸਤਸੰਗਾ ॥੧੦॥
sankh chakr gadhaa hai dhhaaree mehaa saarathhee sathasangaa ||10||
He carries the conch, the chakra and the war club; He is the Great Charioteer, who stays with His Saints. ||10||

ਪੀਤ ਪੀਤੰਬਰ ਤ੍ਰਿਭਵਣ ਧਣੀ ॥
peeth peethanbar thribhavan dhhanee ||
The Lord of yellow robes, the Master of the three worlds.

ਜਗੰਨਾਥੁ ਗੋਪਾਲੁ ਮੁਖਿ ਭਣੀ ॥
jagannaathh gopaal mukh bhanee ||
The Lord of the Universe, the Lord of the world; with my mouth, I chant His Name.
~SGGS Ji p. 1082

Who assumed the form of Krishna? According to Gurbani, it is the Lord of the universe whose name we chant.

I quote a few Guru Vaak here, just to see how those names are used for Nirgun not for sargun, the reason I say is that in Gurbani, Krishnas deceptive attitude is expressed, Ram’s ordinary man’s behavior is described, all other well known names are really not considered as guiding light for Sikhs. Here is Guru bachan unlike Vashnava’s complete philosophy ( as they say He comes in sargun srop to enlighten people), Gurbani stresses only on Nirguna

ਸਤਜੁਗਿ ਤੈ ਮਾਣਿਓ ਛਲਿਓ ਬਲਿ ਬਾਵਨ ਭਾਇਓ ॥
sathajug thai maaniou shhaliou bal baavan bhaaeiou ||
In the Golden Age of Sat Yuga, You were pleased to deceive Baal the king, in the form of a dwarf.

ਤ੍ਰੇਤੈ ਤੈ ਮਾਣਿਓ ਰਾਮੁ ਰਘੁਵੰਸੁ ਕਹਾਇਓ ॥
thraethai thai maaniou raam raghuvans kehaaeiou ||
In the Silver Age of Traytaa Yuga, You were called Raam of the Raghu dynasty.

ਦੁਆਪੁਰਿ ਕ੍ਰਿਸਨ ਮੁਰਾਰਿ ਕੰਸੁ ਕਿਰਤਾਰਥੁ ਕੀਓ ॥
dhuaapur kirasan muraar kans kirathaarathh keeou ||
In the Brass Age of Dwaapur Yuga, You were Krishna; You killed Mur the demon and saved Kans.

ਉਗ੍ਰਸੈਣ ਕਉ ਰਾਜੁ ਅਭੈ ਭਗਤਹ ਜਨ ਦੀਓ ॥
ougrasain ko raaj abhai bhagatheh jan dheeou ||
You blessed Ugrasain with a kingdom, and You blessed Your humble devotees with fearlessness.

ਕਲਿਜੁਗਿ ਪ੍ਰਮਾਣੁ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰੁ ਅੰਗਦੁ ਅਮਰੁ ਕਹਾਇਓ ॥
kalijug pramaan naanak gur angadh amar kehaaeiou ||
In the Iron Age, the Dark Age of Kali Yuga, You are known and accepted as Guru Nanak, Guru Angad and Guru Amar Das.

ਸ੍ਰੀ ਗੁਰੂ ਰਾਜੁ ਅਬਿਚਲੁ ਅਟਲੁ ਆਦਿ ਪੁਰਖਿ ਫੁਰਮਾਇਓ ॥੭॥
sree guroo raaj abichal attal aadh purakh furamaaeiou ||7||
The sovereign rule of the Great Guru is unchanging and permanent, according the Command of the Primal Lord God. ||7||
~SGGS Ji p. 1390

ਆਪੇ ਗੋਪੀ ਕਾਨੁ ਹੈ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਬਨਿ ਆਪੇ ਗਊ ਚਰਾਹਾ ॥
aapae gopee kaan hai piaaraa ban aapae goo charaahaa ||
The Beloved Himself is the milk-maid and Krishna; He Himself herds the cows in the woods.

ਆਪੇ ਸਾਵਲ ਸੁੰਦਰਾ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਆਪੇ ਵੰਸੁ ਵਜਾਹਾ ॥
aapae saaval sundharaa piaaraa aapae vans vajaahaa ||
The Beloved Himself is the blue-skinned, handsome one; He Himself plays on His flute.

ਕੁਵਲੀਆ ਪੀੜੁ ਆਪਿ ਮਰਾਇਦਾ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਕਰਿ ਬਾਲਕ ਰੂਪਿ ਪਚਾਹਾ ॥੨॥
kuvaleeaa peerr aap maraaeidhaa piaaraa kar baalak roop pachaahaa ||2||
The Beloved Himself took the form of a child, and destroyed Kuwalia-peer, the mad elephant. ||2||

ਆਪਿ ਅਖਾੜਾ ਪਾਇਦਾ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਕਰਿ ਵੇਖੈ ਆਪਿ ਚੋਜਾਹਾ ॥
aap akhaarraa paaeidhaa piaaraa kar vaekhai aap chojaahaa ||
The Beloved Himself sets the stage; He performs the plays, and He Himself watches them.

ਕਰਿ ਬਾਲਕ ਰੂਪ ਉਪਾਇਦਾ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਚੰਡੂਰੁ ਕੰਸੁ ਕੇਸੁ ਮਾਰਾਹਾ ॥
kar baalak roop oupaaeidhaa piaaraa chanddoor kans kaes maaraahaa ||
The Beloved Himself assumed the form of the child, and killed the demons Chandoor, Kansa and Kaysee.

ਆਪੇ ਹੀ ਬਲੁ ਆਪਿ ਹੈ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਬਲੁ ਭੰਨੈ ਮੂਰਖ ਮੁਗਧਾਹਾ ॥੩॥
aapae hee bal aap hai piaaraa bal bhannai moorakh mugadhhaahaa ||3||
The Beloved Himself, by Himself, is the embodiment of power; He shatters the power of the fools and idiots. ||3||

ਸਭੁ ਆਪੇ ਜਗਤੁ ਉਪਾਇਦਾ ਪਿਆਰਾ ਵਸਿ ਆਪੇ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਹਥਾਹਾ ॥
sabh aapae jagath oupaaeidhaa piaaraa vas aapae jugath hathhaahaa ||
The Beloved Himself created the whole world. In His hands He holds the power of the ages.
~SGGS Ji p. 606

ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰ ਨਾਨਕ ਦੇਉ ਨਿਰੰਕਾਰਿ ਆਕਾਰ ਬਣਾਇਆ ।
nirankaar naanak dayu nirankaari aakaar banaaiaa|
The formless Lord assumed the form of Guru Nanak Dev who is second all forms.

ਗੁਰੁ ਅੰਗਦੁ ਗੁਰੁ ਅੰਗ ਤੇ ਗੰਗਹੁ ਜਾਣੁ ਤਰੰਗ ਉਠਾਇਆ ।
guru angadu guru ang tay gangahu jaanu tarang utdaaiaa|
In turn, he created Guru Angad from his limbs as the waves created by Ganges.

ਅਮਰਦਾਸੁ ਗੁਰੁ ਅੰਗਦਹੁ ਜੋਤਿ ਸਰੂਪ ਚਲਤੁ ਵਰਤਾਇਆ ।
amaradaasu guru angadahu joti saroop chalatu varataaiaa|
From Guru Angad came Guru Amar Das and the miracle of the transference of the light was seen by one and all.

ਗੁਰੁ ਅਮਰਹੁ ਗੁਰੁ ਰਾਮਦਾਸੁ ਅਨਹਦ ਨਾਦਹੁ ਸਬਦੁ ਸੁਣਾਇਆ ।
guru amarahu guru raamadaasu anahad naadahu sabadu sunaaiaa|
From Guru Amar Das, Guru Ram Das came into being in such a way as if the Word was from the unstruck sounds.
~Vaar 24 Pauri 25 of Vaaran Bhai Gurdas Ji​

ਆਸੰਭਉ ਉਦਵਿਅਉ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਪੂਰਨ ਬਿਧਾਤਉ ॥
aasanbho oudhaviao purakh pooran bidhhaatho ||
The Self-existent, Perfect Primal Lord God Creator has taken birth.

ਨਾਨਕ ਆਦਿ ਅੰਗਦ ਅਮਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸਬਦਿ ਸਮਾਇਅਉ ॥
naanak aadh angadh amar sathigur sabadh samaaeiao ||
First, Guru Nanak, then Guru Angad and Guru Amar Daas, the True Guru, have been absorbed into the Word of the Shabad.
~SGGS Ji p. 1407​

~Bhul chak maaf

Feb 14, 2006
Sikhism is not some sort of sect of either Hinduism or Islam. It differs from both in some very distinct ways. Sikhism does not accept the caste system, which is absolutely part and parcel of Hinduism. Sikhism also holds women equal to men, which is not part of Islam. When you are talking about such obvious and pervasive realities as gender and socio-economic status, you are talking about some very bench-mark distinctions.
Sikhism does accept the caste system, and in exactly the same way as Vaishnavism as I will explain. Vaishnavism also reformed status of women. Since Vaishnavism is a sect within Hinduism, and Vaishnavism can be proven to have made these "benchmark distinctions" which you are claiming belong solely to Sikhism, then we have to let go of those distinctions, because they don't separate Sikhism from Vaishnavism.

ਆਪੇ ਤੰਤੁ ਪਰਮ ਤੰਤੁ ਸਭੁ ਆਪੇ ਆਪੇ ਠਾਕੁਰੁ ਦਾਸੁ ਭਇਆ ॥
aapae thanth param thanth sabh aapae aapae thaakur dhaas bhaeiaa ||
He Himself is the supreme essence, He Himself is the essence of all. He Himself is the Lord and Master, and He Himself is the servant.

ਆਪੇ ਦਸ ਅਠ ਵਰਨ ਉਪਾਇਅਨੁ ਆਪਿ ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਆਪਿ ਰਾਜੁ ਲਇਆ ॥
aapae dhas ath varan oupaaeian aap breham aap raaj laeiaa ||
He Himself created the people of the eighteen castes; God Himself acquired His domain.

ਆਪੇ ਮਾਰੇ ਆਪੇ ਛੋਡੈ ਆਪੇ ਬਖਸੇ ਕਰੇ ਦਇਆ ॥
aapae maarae aapae shhoddai aapae bakhasae karae dhaeiaa ||
He Himself kills, and He Himself redeems; He Himself, in His Kindness, forgives us. He is infallible

ਆਪਿ ਅਭੁਲੁ ਨ ਭੁਲੈ ਕਬ ਹੀ ਸਭੁ ਸਚੁ ਤਪਾਵਸੁ ਸਚੁ ਥਿਆ ॥
aap abhul n bhulai kab hee sabh sach thapaavas sach thhiaa ||
- He never errs; the justice of the True Lord is totally True.
~SGGS Ji p. 553

If Sikhism does not accept the caste system, per se, why does Gurbani say the Lord created the different castes?

ਸੋ ਐਸਾ ਹਰਿ ਸਭਨਾ ਕਾ ਪ੍ਰਭੁ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕੈ ਵਲਿ ਹੈ ਤਿਨਿ ਸਭਿ ਵਰਨ ਚਾਰੇ ਖਾਣੀ ਸਭ ਸ੍ਰਿਸਟਿ ਗੋਲੇ ਕਰਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਅਗੈ ਕਾਰ ਕਮਾਵਣ ਕਉ ਦੀਏ ॥
so aisaa har sabhanaa kaa prabh sathigur kai val hai thin sabh varan chaarae khaanee sabh srisatt golae kar sathigur agai kaar kamaavan ko dheeeae ||
Such is God, the Lord of all; He is on the True Guru's side. All castes and social classes, the four sources of creation, and the whole universe are slaves of the True Guru; God makes them work for Him.
~SGGS Ji p. 851

ਹਰਿ ਭਾਇਆ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਬੋਲਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਪੁਰਖੁ ਸੁਜਾਣੁ ਜੀਉ ॥
har bhaaeiaa sathigur boliaa har miliaa purakh sujaan jeeo ||
The Lord was pleased as the True Guru spoke; he was blended then with the all-knowing Primal Lord God.

ਰਾਮਦਾਸ ਸੋਢੀ ਤਿਲਕੁ ਦੀਆ ਗੁਰ ਸਬਦੁ ਸਚੁ ਨੀਸਾਣੁ ਜੀਉ ॥੫॥
raamadhaas sodtee thilak dheeaa gur sabadh sach neesaan jeeo ||5||
The Guru then blessed the Sodhi Ram Das with the ceremonial tilak mark, the insignia of the True Word of the Shabad. ||5||
~SGGS Ji p. 923

Gurbani is naming Guru Ram Das ji by His caste, Sodhi. Why is this, if Sikhism doesn't accept caste? Not only that, but Gurbani says Guruji placed a tilak mark on the forehead of Guru Ram Das Ji. Why is that? Why is Guru wearing a tilak mark?

ਖਤ੍ਰੀ ਬ੍ਰਾਹਮਣ ਸੂਦ ਵੈਸ ਉਪਦੇਸੁ ਚਹੁ ਵਰਨਾ ਕਉ ਸਾਝਾ ॥
khathree braahaman soodh vais oupadhaes chahu varanaa ko saajhaa ||
The four castes - the Kh'shaatriyas, Brahmins, Soodras and Vaishyas - are equal in respect to the teachings.
~SGGS Ji p. 747

If Gurbani rejects the caste system, why does it say there are castes? It says there are castes, but in respect to the Guru's teachings, all are equal. The reform of caste system to allow all castes including untouchables, Muslim converts and women comes from Vaishnavism. The fact that bhagat bani comes from notable sants who were low caste such as Namdevji and Kabirji and these were also Vaishnav sants tells us that before Guru Nanak Dev Ji's message, a holy teaching about caste reform and equality was already underway.

From the twelfth century onwards a bhakti renaissance swept across India, bringing waves of devotional sentiment. Centres of devotion were rediscovered and revived in places such as Ayodhya and Vrindavana. The bhakti traditions broke through caste barriers and attracted millions of followers. Among the many bhakti saints are a number of notable women such as Andal and Mirabai.
Heart of Hinduism: Vaishnavism

Other Vaishnava sects include the Ramavats, the Haridasis, Kabir Panthis and Dadu Panthis. The Ramavats were founded by Ramananda, a 14th century Shri Vaishnava teacher, who taught devotion to Vishnu's manifestation as Rama and dismissed the strong emphasis on caste and ritual typical of the Shri Vaishnavas. Kabir was a follower of Ramananda from Varanasi who, like his teacher, denied the significance of caste in the worship of God. He also condemned the worship of images and for this reason is respected by Muslims as well as Hindus. The followers of Kabir are known as Kabir Panthis and are today divided into twelve separate groups, each with their own centre and leadership. One disciple of Kabir was Dadu who like his predecessor condemned the caste institution, the worship of images and all external features of piety, stating that love and devotion to the one God was the only valid form of religiosity.
General Essay on Hindu Devotional Groups

ਹੋਇ ਬਿਰਕਤੁ ਬਨਾਰਸੀ ਰਹਿੰਦਾ ਰਾਮਾਨਦੁ ਗੁਸਾਈਂ ।
hoi birakatu banaarasee rahindaa raamaanadu gusaaeen|
Being detached from the world, Brahmin Ramanand lived in Varanasi (Kasi).

ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਵੇਲੇ ਉਠਿ ਕੈ ਜਾਂਦਾ ਗੰਗਾ ਨ੍ਹਾਵਣ ਤਾਈਂ ।
anmritu vaylay utdi kai jaandaa gangaa nhaavan taaeen|
He would rise early in the morning and go to the Ganges to bathe.

ਅਗੋ ਹੀ ਦੇ ਜਾਇ ਕੈ ਲਮਾ ਪਿਆ ਕਬੀਰ ਤਿਥਾਈਂ ।
ago hee day jaai kai|amaa piaa kabeer tidaaeen|
Once even before Ramanand, Kabir went there and lay in the way.

ਪੈਰੀ ਟੁੰਬਿ ਉਠਾਲਿਆ ਬੋਲਹੁ ਰਾਮ ਸਿਖ ਸਮਝਾਈ ।
pairee tunbi utdaaliaa bolahu raam sikh samajhaaee|
Touching with his feet Ramanand awakened Kabir and told him to speak ‘Ram’, the true spiritual teaching.

ਜਿਉ ਲੋਹਾ ਪਾਰਸੁ ਛੁਹੇ ਚੰਦਨ ਵਾਸੁ ਨਿਮੁ ਮਹਕਾਈ ।
jiu|ohaa paarasu chhuhay chandan vaasu nimu mahakaaee|
As the iron touched by philosopher’s stone becomes gold and the margosa tree (Azadirachta indica) is made fragrant by sandal.

ਪਸੂ ਪਰੇਤਹੁ ਦੇਵ ਕਰਿ ਪੂਰੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਦੀ ਵਡਿਆਈ ।
pasoo paraytahu dayv kari pooray satigur dee vadiaaee|
The wondrous Guru turns even animals and ghosts into angels.

ਅਚਰਜ ਨੋ ਅਚਰਜੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਵਿਸਮਾਦੈ ਵਿਸਮਾਦੁ ਮਿਲਾਈ ।
acharaj no acharaju milai visamaadai visamaadu milaaee|
Meeting the wonderous Guru the disciple wonderfully merges into the great wonderous Lord.

ਝਰਣਾ ਝਰਦਾ ਨਿਝਰਹੁ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਬਾਣੀ ਅਘੜ ਘੜਾਈ ।
jharanaa jharadaa nijharahu guramukhi baanee agharh gharhaaee|
Then from the Self springs a fountain and the words of the gurmukhs shape a beautiful form

ਰਾਮ ਕਬੀਰੈ ਭੇਦੁ ਨ ਭਾਈ ॥੧੫॥
raam kabeerai bhaydu n bhaaee ॥15॥
Now Ram and Kabir became identical.
~Vaar 10 Pauri 15 of Vaaran Bhai Gurdas Ji

Here vaaran is describing Ramanand ji as a Brahmin, and also as a Guru who enlightened Bhagat Kabir ji. So the quality of being a brahmin alone is not negated in Sikh teaching. Why is vaaran describing Ramanand Ji as a wondrous Guru of the wondrous Lord? Curious since he was not a Sikh of Guru Nanak Dev Ji, yet clearly a Hindu Guru who is also a Brahmin, can be enlightened. It does say something that Ramanand Ji passed transmission to Kabir Ji, since Kabir Ji was born a Muslim and hence low or no caste. So a Brahmin sant did not recognize caste distinctions as excluding someone from full equality in spirituality. As we see, Ramanand was a Vaishnav sant, as was Kabir Ji, who japped Raam Naam, and these became Gurumukhs and enlightened, so Hindu's can also reach the God with bhakti and Gur-shishya and Naam jap, as do Sikhs. As I have said before, where Gurbani is listing hypocrisy and corruptions it is not making Hindu religion into an evil thing, only showing how religion can become corrupted and false. Just as Gurbani says there can be holy brahmins, yogis, siddhas, and demi-gods. We shouldn't read into Gurbani that every Hindu, every brahmin, every yogi is evil and corrupted. (As has been mentioned on this post).

Many people want to say that Sikhism is a sect of this or that religion because, I think, they are, deep down, deathly afraid of the fact that Sikhs' only Sovreign is the Word of Guru; we will bow to no man (or woman, for that matter) because our relationship with God and Guru is the most important one, and that we are the only religious group that proclaims that ours is not necessarily the only path to the Divine. One of our Gurus gave his life for the Hindus to practice their way to the Divine.

ਤਿਲਕ ਜੰਵੂ ਰਾਖਾ ਪ੍ਰਭ ਤਾ ਕਾ ॥ ਕੀਨੋ ਬਡੋ ਕਲੂ ਮਹਿ ਸਾਕਾ ॥
He protected the forehead mark and sacred thread which marked a great event in the Iron age.

ਸਾਧਨ ਹੇਤਿ ਇਤੀ ਜਿਨਿ ਕਰੀ ॥ ਸੀਸੁ ਦੀਆ ਪਰ ਸੀ ਨ ਉਚਰੀ ॥੧੩॥
For the sake of saints, he laid down his head without even a sign.13.

ਧਰਮ ਹੇਤਿ ਸਾਕਾ ਜਿਨਿ ਕੀਆ ॥ ਸੀਸੁ ਦੀਆ ਪਰ ਸਿਰਰੁ ਨ ਦੀਆ ॥
For the sake of Dharma, he sacrificed himself. He laid down his head but not his creed.
Shri Dasam Granth Sahib Ji p. 131​

Whose tilak mark and creed did Guruji protect? It does not say Hindu's. It says His own creed, to protect saints. This is a dramatically different interpretation.

If we do not bow to anyone, except the God and Guru, why does Gurbani say this?

ਭਾਈ ਰੇ ਸੰਤ ਜਨਾ ਕੀ ਰੇਣੁ ॥
bhaaee rae santh janaa kee raen ||
O Siblings of Destiny, become the dust of the feet of the humble Saints.
~SGGS Ji p. 18​

ਤਿਨਾ ਭਗਤ ਜਨਾ ਕਉ ਸਦ ਨਮਸਕਾਰੁ ਕੀਜੈ ਜੋ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਗਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
thinaa bhagath janaa ko sadh namasakaar keejai jo anadhin har gun gaavaniaa ||1|| rehaao ||
I humbly bow to those devotees who chant the Glorious Praises of the Lord, night and day. ||1||Pause||
~SGGS Ji p. 123​

~Bhul chak maaf

Feb 14, 2006
Since the implementation of this guideline:

"We do not accept direct or indirect attacks on the individuality of Sikhism. Any posts deemed to be doing so will be removed from the forum without notice."

I would like to add that my posts have been deleted and threads closed. Since I am trying to analyze the Gurbani directly, I don't see how it can be an attack against the identity of Sikhism. As you impose this word "individuality" that becomes a matter of interpretation. Obviously Guruji is Guruji and Gurbani is Gurbani and this is individual. But where Gurbani uses Sanskrit terms and Vedic or Upanishadic definitions, or where there is already known and accepted Vaishnav influence through bhagat bani, I fail to understand why an analysis or opinion of these historical factors in conjuction with Gurbani amount to any kind of "attack." Rather it becomes a disagreement with a prevailing perception of Sikhism as independant of and completely unique without any historical Indic spiritual context, as relationship to Vedas and Upanishads. And that is not an attack, it is a different opinion. As sanatan Sikhs do exist within the Panth such as Nirmalas and Nihangs, it begs the question why a sanatan viewpoint is being moderated and silenced in order to promote the non-sanatan view only. Where people ask for equality and balance in views represented, these should come from genuine alternate opinions, and not mockery or attacks against my own, or against Hindu Dharam.

Thank you.

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Amarsanghera Ji,

Doesn't this tell you not to rely on computers too much ? I was going thru how the computer plays chess in three ways. Anyway, don't let a computer form your belief system.

Warning: Belief-O-Matic™ assumes no legal liability for the ultimate fate of your soul.:inca:

Astroboy

Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Harjas Ji,

Aren't you taking the meanings of SGGS too literally.

By a mention of the 4 varans, doesn't give the seal that Sikhism supports the division. As you know Sikhism had 10 human Gurus. It took 10 Gurus to provide the structure and essence of SGGS with the addition of other authors. This couldn't be possible with Guru Nanak's lifespan alone. In the realm of Time and Space, the laws of nature takes the stronghold. The teachings had to unfold in stages.

Do you agree or disagree ?

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM