• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikhism Is NOT A RELIGION!

gs_chana

SPNer
Jan 16, 2005
United Kingdom, London
Satsriakal to all,

Probably the name of this article startled you but hear me out.

This is really in response to those who wish for a Khalistan, who believe Baptism is the only way to become a true Sikh, for those who want to categorise Sikhi as a religion, etc.

Now, Countless times I hear the use of the term Sikhism; Sikh - ism - latter part, the 'ism' representing religion, faith, etc.

Religion is described as: A religion is a set of common beliefs and practices generally held by a group of people, often codified as prayer, ritual, and religious law. Religion also encompasses ancestral or cultural traditions, writings, history, and mythology, as well as personal faith and mystic experience. The term "religion" refers to both the personal practices related to communal faith and to group rituals and communication stemming from shared conviction. (obtained from wikipedia, couldn’t do better)

Anyway, now everybody knows the story of Guru Nanak and his contact with God when he once went to bathe but never returned for a number of days; well upon Guru Nanak returning, did he not say "THERE IS NO HINDU NOR MUSLIM".

A lot of people tend to add to this sentence that Guru Nanak instead said: "THERE IS NO HINDU NOR MUSLIM, I WILL INTENT TO CREATE A THIRD, SIKHISM", or something somewhere along such lines.

The second sentence is not that of Guru Nanak, as it conflicts with his philosophy. The first of these sentences is that of Guru Nanak, since this was the basis of his philosophy; A WORLD WITHOUT DISTINCTION.

Distinction equals division, which equals hate, which further equates to the down fall of Humanity, lol.

Well with that all in mind, Sikhism is a false term. My learned brothers and sisters here on this website I am sure you are well aware of the fact that we all refer to this faith as Sikhi, as it does not follow a means of religion.

Religion has its set organised ways; specific rules, rituals, etc. How can Sikhi then come into the question.

We do not have any institutionalised system of thinking, e.g. no pope, no dali lama, no shiekh, etc. So why do we have Sants, Gianis, Prabhandaks, etc.

We do not have any Sikh laws; yet we have the Sikh Rehit Maryada. Such a maryada was formed for the Khalsa, and I am sure you guys are well aware that Khalsa and Sikhi are two distinct categories. Since the former is to do with Martial Matters incorporating spiritual matters through faith; be it Sikhi or other religion (since Khalsa had muslims and hindus fighting on its side). So if you think about it, Khalsa, its 5k's, its Amrit Initiation, its Maryada are all items of Uniform. Such matters are not essential to a Sikh; but for some it is, and so I respect that the Khalsa teaches worldly discipline which in turns spirtual discipline; but my point here is Khalsa and Sikhi are not one of the same WHICH IS THE CURRENT PERCEPTION, e.g. AMRIT SHAKO GURU WALE BANO! lol, seems the only way to become a Sikh is through Amrit Initiation.

After all that is said, we Sikhs need to stop saying Sikhi as a religion. When someone asks what is your faith, simply reply "I follow Sikhi"..."Its a way of life". NO religion, NO separate talk, NO hostile talk, simply truth"

This is just my point, because I have seen what our aims of establishing Sikhi as a religion are leading to and to be fair it will ultimately lead us to destruction of our true values and philosophy; that there is a free world, and Waheguru has blessed us with our Guru to enlighten a Dark ignorant mind in the phase of Kali Jug and bring it to Sat Jug; since once the mind has achieved this, we have reached "heaven" (we merge with God basically lol)

Hope you found this little piece inspiring, any wrongdoings I ask for forgiveness. Any questions, do ask. !

Gurdip Singh Chana

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
Satsriakal to all,

This is really in response to those who wish for a Khalistan, who believe Baptism is the only way to become a true Sikh, for those who want to categorise Sikhi as a religion, etc.

Now, Countless times I hear the use of the term Sikhism; Sikh - ism - latter part, the 'ism' representing religion, faith, etc.

Religion is described as: A religion is a set of common beliefs and practices generally held by a group of people, often codified as prayer, ritual, and religious law. Religion also encompasses ancestral or cultural traditions, writings, history, and mythology, as well as personal faith and mystic experience. The term "religion" refers to both the personal practices related to communal faith and to group rituals and communication stemming from shared conviction. (obtained from wikipedia, couldn’t do better)

Anyway, now everybody knows the story of Guru Nanak and his contact with God when he once went to bathe but never returned for a number of days; well upon Guru Nanak returning, did he not say "THERE IS NO HINDU NOR MUSLIM".

A lot of people tend to add to this sentence that Guru Nanak instead said: "THERE IS NO HINDU NOR MUSLIM, I WILL INTENT TO CREATE A THIRD, SIKHISM", or something somewhere along such lines.

The second sentence is not that of Guru Nanak, as it conflicts with his philosophy. The first of these sentences is that of Guru Nanak, since this was the basis of his philosophy; A WORLD WITHOUT DISTINCTION.

Distinction equals division, which equals hate, which further equates to the down fall of Humanity, lol.

Well with that all in mind, Sikhism is a false term. My learned brothers and sisters here on this website I am sure you are well aware of the fact that we all refer to this faith as Sikhi, as it does not follow a means of religion.

Religion has its set organised ways; specific rules, rituals, etc. How can Sikhi then come into the question.

We do not have any institutionalised system of thinking, e.g. no pope, no dali lama, no shiekh, etc. So why do we have Sants, Gianis, Prabhandaks, etc.

We do not have any Sikh laws; yet we have the Sikh Rehit Maryada. Such a maryada was formed for the Khalsa, and I am sure you guys are well aware that Khalsa and Sikhi are two distinct categories. Since the former is to do with Martial Matters incorporating spiritual matters through faith; be it Sikhi or other religion (since Khalsa had muslims and hindus fighting on its side). So if you think about it, Khalsa, its 5k's, its Amrit Initiation, its Maryada are all items of Uniform. Such matters are not essential to a Sikh; but for some it is, and so I respect that the Khalsa teaches worldly discipline which in turns spirtual discipline; but my point here is Khalsa and Sikhi are not one of the same WHICH IS THE CURRENT PERCEPTION, e.g. AMRIT SHAKO GURU WALE BANO! lol, seems the only way to become a Sikh is through Amrit Initiation.

After all that is said, we Sikhs need to stop saying Sikhi as a religion. When someone asks what is your faith, simply reply "I follow Sikhi"..."Its a way of life". NO religion, NO separate talk, NO hostile talk, simply truth"

This is just my point, because I have seen what our aims of establishing Sikhi as a religion are leading to and to be fair it will ultimately lead us to destruction of our true values and philosophy; that there is a free world, and Waheguru has blessed us with our Guru to enlighten a Dark ignorant mind in the phase of Kali Jug and bring it to Sat Jug; since once the mind has achieved this, we have reached "heaven" (we merge with God basically lol)

Hope you found this little piece inspiring, any wrongdoings I ask for forgiveness. Any questions, do ask. !

Gurdip Singh Chana

You would be correct, but historically your wrong.

And what you say in your last paragraph are words that are a few hundred years too late. The effect is too prevalent, we can no longer deny it.

Sikhism WAS what you say it should be, but things changed due to historical situations, and it has BECOME what it is now (a religion). You must accept this, it is already set, it was already set, it will be set forever, Sikhi(sm) has become a religion with organized aspects.

In a historical context, Sikhism was a successful failure.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
Satsriakal to all,

Gurdip Singh Chana

Hi Mr Chana. I am posting from Bani below just to let you know how many times the word Sikh is mentioned and GurSikh.....it is mentioned more times. I do not usually post one liners from Bani as it distorts the meaning of the Tukh but I think it maybe justified in this instance:

Page 3, Line 10
ਮੰਨੈ ਤਰੈ ਤਾਰੇ ਗੁਰੁ ਸਿਖ ॥
मंनै तरै तारे गुरु सिख ॥
Mannai ṯarai ṯārė gur sikẖ.
The faithful are saved, and carried across with the Sikhs of the Guru.
Guru Nanak Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok

Page 73, Line 19
ਗੁਰਸਿਖਾ ਲਹਦਾ ਭਾਲਿ ਕੈ ॥
गुरसिखा लहदा भालि कै ॥
Gursikẖā lahḏā bẖāl kai.
I sought out the Guru's Sikhs, and brought them into it.
Guru Arjan Dev - view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok

Page 96, Line 11
ਗੁਰਸਿਖਾਂ ਕੈ ਮਨਿ ਪਿਆਰੀ ਭਾਣੀ ॥
गुरसिखां कै मनि पिआरी भाणी ॥
Gursikẖāʼn kai man pi­ārī bẖāṇī.
It is dear and pleasing to the minds of the GurSikhs.
Guru Ram Das - view Shabad/Paurhi/Salok

Page 164, Line 10
ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਮੁਖਿ ਪਾਇ ॥੧॥
सतिगुर प्रीति गुरसिख मुखि पाइ ॥१॥
Saṯgur parīṯ gursikẖ mukẖ pā­ė. ||1||
The True Guru loves to place food in the mouth of His GurSikh. ||1||

Page 164, Line 14
ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਗੁਰੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਗਲਾਟੇ ॥
गुरसिख प्रीति गुरु मिलै गलाटे ॥
Gursikẖ parīṯ gur milai galātė.
The GurSikh loves to meet and embrace the Guru.

Page 164, Line 15
ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਗੁਰ ਮਿਲਿ ਆਘਾਇ ॥੧॥
गुरसिख प्रीति गुर मिलि आघाइ ॥१॥
Gursikẖ parīṯ gur mil āgẖā­ė. ||1||
The GurSikh loves to find satisfaction by meeting the Guru. ||1||

Page 164, Line 17
ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਮੁਖਿ ਲਾਗੈ ॥੨॥
गुरसिख प्रीति गुरू मुखि लागै ॥२॥
Gursikẖ parīṯ gurū mukẖ lāgai. ||2||
The GurSikh loves to gaze upon the Face of the Guru. ||2||

Page 164, Line 18
ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਮੁਖਿ ਲਾਇ ॥੩॥
गुरसिख प्रीति गुरू मुखि लाइ ॥३॥
Gursikẖ parīṯ gurū mukẖ lā­ė. ||3||
The GurSikh loves to gaze upon the Face of the Guru. ||3||

Page 165, Line 2
ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਹਰਿ ਬੋਲਹੁ ਮੇਰੇ ਭਾਈ ॥
गुरसिख हरि बोलहु मेरे भाई ॥
Gursikẖ har bolhu mėrė bẖā­ī.
O GurSikhs, chant the Name of the Lord, O my Siblings of Destiny.

Page 168, Line 2
ਤਿਉ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਰਾਖਤਾ ਹਰਿ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਪਿਆਰਿ ॥੧॥
तिउ सतिगुरु गुरसिख राखता हरि प्रीति पिआरि ॥१॥
Ŧi­o saṯgur gursikẖ rākẖ­ṯā har parīṯ pi­ār. ||1||
In just the same way, the True Guru protects His GurSikhs, who love their Beloved Lord. ||1||

Page 168, Line 5
ਤਿਉ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਸਿਖ ਪ੍ਰੀਤਿ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਕੀ ਗੁਰੁ ਸਿਖ ਰਖੈ ਜੀਅ ਨਾਲੀ ॥੨॥
तिउ सतिगुर सिख प्रीति हरि हरि की गुरु सिख रखै जीअ नाली ॥२॥
Ŧi­o saṯgur sikẖ parīṯ har har kī gur sikẖ rakẖai jī­a nālī. ||2||
In just the same way, the True Guru loves His Sikhs. The Lord cherishes His GurSikhs, and keeps them clasped to His Heart. ||2||

Page 286, Line 13
ਤਿਸ ਕੈ ਸੰਗਿ ਸਿਖੁ ਉਧਰੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਹਰਿ ਗੁਨ ਗਾਉ ॥੧॥
तिस कै संगि सिखु उधरै नानक हरि गुन गाउ ॥१॥
Ŧis kai sang sikẖ uḏẖrai Nānak har gun gā­o. ||1||
In His Company, the Sikh is saved, O Nanak, singing the Glorious Praises of the Lord. ||1||

Page 286, Line 14
ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸਿਖ ਕੀ ਕਰੈ ਪ੍ਰਤਿਪਾਲ ॥
सतिगुरु सिख की करै प्रतिपाल ॥
Saṯgur sikẖ kī karai parṯipāl.
The True Guru cherishes His Sikh.

Page 286, Line 14
ਸਿਖ ਕੀ ਗੁਰੁ ਦੁਰਮਤਿ ਮਲੁ ਹਿਰੈ ॥
सिख की गुरु दुरमति मलु हिरै ॥
Sikẖ kī gur ḏurmaṯ mal hirai.
The Guru washes away the filth of the evil intellect of His Sikh.

Page 286, Line 15
ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸਿਖ ਕੇ ਬੰਧਨ ਕਾਟੈ ॥
सतिगुरु सिख के बंधन काटै ॥
Saṯgur sikẖ kė banḏẖan kātai.
The True Guru cuts away the bonds of His Sikh.

Page 286, Line 15
ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਸਿਖੁ ਬਿਕਾਰ ਤੇ ਹਾਟੈ ॥
गुर का सिखु बिकार ते हाटै ॥
Gur kā sikẖ bikār ṯė hātai.
The Sikh of the Guru abstains from evil deeds.

Page 286, Line 15
ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸਿਖ ਕਉ ਨਾਮ ਧਨੁ ਦੇਇ ॥
सतिगुरु सिख कउ नाम धनु देइ ॥
Saṯgur sikẖ ka­o nām ḏẖan ḏė­ė.
The True Guru gives His Sikh the wealth of the Naam.

Page 286, Line 16
ਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਸਿਖੁ ਵਡਭਾਗੀ ਹੇ ॥
गुर का सिखु वडभागी हे ॥
Gur kā sikẖ vadbẖāgī hė.
The Sikh of the Guru is very fortunate.

Page 286, Line 16
ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸਿਖ ਕਾ ਹਲਤੁ ਪਲਤੁ ਸਵਾਰੈ ॥
सतिगुरु सिख का हलतु पलतु सवारै ॥
Saṯgur sikẖ kā halaṯ palaṯ savārai.
The True Guru arranges this world and the next for His Sikh.

Page 286, Line 16
ਨਾਨਕ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੁ ਸਿਖ ਕਉ ਜੀਅ ਨਾਲਿ ਸਮਾਰੈ ॥੧॥
नानक सतिगुरु सिख कउ जीअ नालि समारै ॥१॥
Nānak saṯgur sikẖ ka­o jī­a nāl samārai. ||1||
O Nanak, with the fullness of His heart, the True Guru mends His Sikh. ||1||

Page 302, Line 18
ਗੁਰਸਿਖੀ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਬੀਜਿਆ ਤਿਨ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਫਲੁ ਹਰਿ ਪਾਏ ॥
गुरसिखी अम्रितु बीजिआ तिन अम्रित फलु हरि पाए ॥
Gursikẖī amriṯ bīji­ā ṯin amriṯ fal har pā­ė.
The GurSikhs plant ambrosial nectar, and obtain the Lord as their ambrosial fruit.

Page 304, Line 2
ਗੁਰਸਿਖਾ ਵਡਿਆਈ ਭਾਵੈ ਗੁਰ ਪੂਰੇ ਕੀ ਮਨਮੁਖਾ ਓਹ ਵੇਲਾ ਹਥਿ ਨ ਆਇਆ ॥੨॥
गुरसिखा वडिआई भावै गुर पूरे की मनमुखा ओह वेला हथि न आइआ ॥२॥
Gursikẖā vadi­ā­ī bẖāvai gur pūrė kī manmukẖā oh vėlā hath na ā­i­ā. ||2||
The glorious greatness of the Perfect Guru is pleasing to the GurSikh; the self-willed manmukhs have lost this opportunity. ||2||

Page 304, Line 8
ਗੁਰਸਿਖੀ ਹਰਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਬੀਜਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਨਾਮੁ ਫਲੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥
गुरसिखी हरि अम्रितु बीजिआ हरि अम्रित नामु फलु अम्रितु पाइआ ॥
Gursikẖī har amriṯ bīji­ā har amriṯ nām fal amriṯ pā­i­ā.
The GurSikh plants the seed of the Lord's Ambrosial Nectar, and obtains the Lord's Ambrosial Naam as his Ambrosial Fruit.

Page 305, Line 1
ਸਚਿਆਰ ਸਿਖ ਬਹਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਪਾਸਿ ਘਾਲਨਿ ਕੂੜਿਆਰ ਨ ਲਭਨੀ ਕਿਤੈ ਥਾਇ ਭਾਲੇ ॥
सचिआर सिख बहि सतिगुर पासि घालनि कूड़िआर न लभनी कितै थाइ भाले ॥
Sacẖiār sikẖ bahi saṯgur pās gẖālan kūṛi­ār na labẖnī kiṯai thā­ė bẖālė.
The truthful Sikhs sit by the True Guru's side and serve Him. The false ones search, but find no place of rest.

Page 305, Line 16
ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਜੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਅਖਾਏ ਸੁ ਭਲਕੇ ਉਠਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥
गुर सतिगुर का जो सिखु अखाए सु भलके उठि हरि नामु धिआवै ॥
Gur saṯgur kā jo sikẖ akẖā­ė so bẖalkė uṯẖ har nām ḏẖi­āvai.
One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.

Page 305, Line 19
ਜੋ ਸਾਸਿ ਗਿਰਾਸਿ ਧਿਆਏ ਮੇਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਸੋ ਗੁਰਸਿਖੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਮਨਿ ਭਾਵੈ ॥
जो सासि गिरासि धिआए मेरा हरि हरि सो गुरसिखु गुरू मनि भावै ॥
Jo sās girās ḏẖi­ā­ė mėrā har har so gursikẖ gurū man bẖāvai.
One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind.

Page 306, Line 1
ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਦਇਆਲੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਮੇਰਾ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਤਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਗੁਰੂ ਉਪਦੇਸੁ ਸੁਣਾਵੈ ॥
जिस नो दइआलु होवै मेरा सुआमी तिसु गुरसिख गुरू उपदेसु सुणावै ॥
Jis no ḏa­i­āl hovai mėrā su­āmī ṯis gursikẖ gurū upḏės suṇāvai.
That person, unto whom my Lord and Master is kind and compassionate - upon that GurSikh, the Guru's Teachings are bestowed.

Page 306, Line 2
ਜਨੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਧੂੜਿ ਮੰਗੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਕੀ ਜੋ ਆਪਿ ਜਪੈ ਅਵਰਹ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਾਵੈ ॥੨॥
जनु नानकु धूड़ि मंगै तिसु गुरसिख की जो आपि जपै अवरह नामु जपावै ॥२॥
Jan Nānak ḏẖūṛ mangai ṯis gursikẖ kī jo āp japai avrah nām japāvai. ||2||
Servant Nanak begs for the dust of the feet of that GurSikh, who himself chants the Naam, and inspires others to chant it. ||2||

Page 307, Line 17
ਕੋਈ ਪੁਤੁ ਸਿਖੁ ਸੇਵਾ ਕਰੇ ਸਤਿਗੁਰੂ ਕੀ ਤਿਸੁ ਕਾਰਜ ਸਭਿ ਸਵਾਰੇ ॥
कोई पुतु सिखु सेवा करे सतिगुरू की तिसु कारज सभि सवारे ॥
Ko­ī puṯ sikẖ sėvā karė saṯgurū kī ṯis kāraj sabẖ savārė.
If any son or Sikh serves the True Guru, then all of his affairs will be resolved.

Page 307, Line 19
ਜਨੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਮਾਗੈ ਧੂੜਿ ਤਿਨ ਜੋ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਮਿਤ ਪਿਆਰੇ ॥੧॥
जनु नानकु मागै धूड़ि तिन जो गुरसिख मित पिआरे ॥१॥
Jan Nānak māgai ḏẖūṛ ṯin jo gursikẖ miṯ pi­ārė. ||1||
Servant Nanak begs for the dust of the feet of those GurSikhs who love the Lord, their Friend. ||1||

Secondly - Does one need to be an Amritdhari to be a Sikh. I believe not. Reason why, because historically there have always been Sehajdhari (slow adopter) Sikhs. These people never took Pahul.

Thirdly - Taking Amrit is not about Khalsitan. The real problem about Amrit nowadays are Sant Mat groups like GNNSJ , Namdhari's, AKJ, Rareowalay, 3HO etc hijacking the Amrit ceremony and inserting their own phrases as they see fit to suit their own version of Sikhism rather than the consensus or Rehit Maryada.

Fourthly - Look at the origins of Sarbat Khalsa and you will have an idea of the origins of todays Sikh institutions.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: