• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Jassy

SPNer
Aug 25, 2004
Dreamland
CaramelChocolate said:
Sikhism is about growing inner faith for God, so wearing necklaces with the khanda or getting a tattoo is just showy which is what Guru Nanak teaches against. This is the same reason why Sikhs do not have malas and tilaks.

Sorry, gonna play the devils advocate for a mint.

Keeping your above statement in mind, so then why did the Guru Ji's adorn themselves w/jewelry?

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
Jassy said:
Sorry, gonna play the devils advocate for a mint.

Keeping your above statement in mind, so then why did the Guru Ji's adorn themselves w/jewelry?

Also what about jewrly in and on the turban? How do people choose a turban colour, is just the first one I found this morning like socks, or do we colour co-ordinate?

If we do the latter why? So that we look good, present ourselfs better? Look majestic like Sikhs of older times?

Again, please show me where God tells me I cannot get tattoed, where God tells us that it goes against Gods will? Other wise I see it as no differant from wearing smart cloths, or doning a fancy turban, or wearing makeup, or jewlry

Sep 11, 2005
Lee said:
Also what about jewrly in and on the turban? How do people choose a turban colour, is just the first one I found this morning like socks, or do we colour co-ordinate?

If we do the latter why? So that we look good, present ourselfs better? Look majestic like Sikhs of older times?

Again, please show me where God tells me I cannot get tattoed, where God tells us that it goes against Gods will? Other wise I see it as no differant from wearing smart cloths, or doning a fancy turban, or wearing makeup, or jewlry

YOu are right Dear Lee that God never tells us where we cannot get tatooed or anything else.

Sep 11, 2005
One question if it does not makes anyone furious and red like this :}--}: .

It is constantly said that we should respect what God has gifted us .

Did God Gifted us with Clothes ?

Oct 13, 2004
Uk
I am not against Tatooing however i am going to ask a question.

To those of you who have gurbani tattoos, how do u clean ur bum :shock: I bet most ppl never think about that.

lionprinceuk

(previously Lion_Prince_Jatinder)
SPNer
Jun 29, 2004
west london
I think tatooing a khanda is totally wrong, because you shouldn;t go against the khalsa if you want to wear a symbol of the khalsa. Ek ONkar is slightly different because it representes the oneness of God.

tony

SPNer
Feb 20, 2006
nottingham england
i dont think a tattoo is that bad its no worse that the amount of make up that many sikh ladies use.and certainly better than the amount of gold that you see hanging off a lot of british sikhs. if the tattoo is to show others that your a sikh whats the problem with that, if its to glam yourself up then u should think about something less permanent

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Guru nanak Ji Sahib says: Foods that are PURE ( originally) like Grain, flour, water, ghee, milk, sugar etc etc...GET POLLUTED when the HUMAN consumes them...and then they become FILTH that everybody spits on and says PHEW !! what a STINK.

Whats the connection...with tatoos ?? chew on this a few days and it will become clear real soon...

Jarnail Singh Gyani

hydroponix

SPNer
Mar 6, 2006
just a quick question im getting a tattoo of a khanda with a shere (lion) inside the chakka has n e 1 got n e pictures of this or cn u tell me where i can get some cuz im trying to decide on the design
much appreciated if n e 1 can help

tony

SPNer
Feb 20, 2006
nottingham england
Gyani Jarnail Singh said:
Guru nanak Ji Sahib says: Foods that are PURE ( originally) like Grain, flour, water, ghee, milk, sugar etc etc...GET POLLUTED when the HUMAN consumes them...and then they become FILTH that everybody spits on and says PHEW !! what a STINK.

Whats the connection...with tatoos ?? chew on this a few days and it will become clear real soon...

Jarnail Singh Gyani
sat sri akal
I can see what you're trying to say but if we were to follow that then why bother living, because that statement taken literally means that what ever we do we are polluting or changing what God gave us. our temples were not built by God nor were they decorated by him, so do we tear them down. Our bodies do belong to God, so does this world and that has been changed from what God created even by sikhs.so do we stop progressing the human race, do we stop taking medication as they are not made by God. you buy food and then cook it, not natural so do we stop eating. you could go on for ever like this for ever and the human race would die out very quickly. if we can biuld temples in Gods honour and deface Gods earth, then why can't we have tatoos in Gods honour. they do not poison the body just decorate it and that cant be an evil as my local Gudwara is decorated with religious paintings. And heres a little something for yourself to chew on, if you denied a man the right to do some thing that harms no one then you become an oppressor which is the worst of the two, none of our Guru jis fought to eradicate tatoos but there have been many wars to wipe out oppression. let a man do as they wish if it doesn't harm any one and God will judge them not you or I.
sorry if I've offended any one it was not my intention
p.s. the Khanda is a symbol given to all sikhs and a sikh is anyone who believes in one God, if you claim it is for the Khalsa only, then you have created an inequality, read what the Guru ji's said about that. put the Khanda on what you like, be it a flag your clothes or your body, just wear it with pride and in celibration of God

Pukandi Baba

SPNer
Mar 25, 2006
In a mansion
devinesanative said:
One question if it does not makes anyone furious and red like this :}--}: .

It is constantly said that we should respect what God has gifted us .

Did God Gifted us with Clothes ?

So clothes aren't percieved to be a gift to you?

bopadum

SPNer
Jun 8, 2006
I live in everything
One of the issues here seems to be the shaving of the hair. I always got the impression that the Beard and Head hair was the main requirement not to be cut. didin't think it meant any hair all over your body.

As for modify the body - the sikh uniform (Turban, Kirpan, Kachera, Kanga) are permenant tattoos in a way.

I think if you have the guts to have a traditional tattoo (not by machine - and you can get them in this country) without the use of shaving hair, using natural methods, I forgot what the process is called, then it should be fine. If there was nothing specifically banning us from doing this, it probably was not a major concern to our gurus (as tattoos have been around since man)

gurpreet2006

SPNer
Mar 30, 2006
gurfateh to all .

why one wants the tatoos?

this has been proven in medicine nw the dye in tatoo causes so much harm to the harmony of th body in the form of cancer , allergy , other skin and body problems .

gurus were right then and they will be right now and forever.

Lee

SPNer
May 17, 2005
London, UK
gurpreet2006 said:
gurfateh to all .

why one wants the tatoos?

this has been proven in medicine nw the dye in tatoo causes so much harm to the harmony of th body in the form of cancer , allergy , other skin and body problems .

gurus were right then and they will be right now and forever.

I don't know where this data come from, but it is not correct. Also can anybody please show me where Guru Ji says we are not allowed them?

bopadum

SPNer
Jun 8, 2006
I live in everything
vijaydeep Singh said:
Gurfateh

other then uncut hairs other Ks are not permanannet.And can be detached.Hairs are anyway not unatural.

Hmmm. See your point on that one.

This is a risky one (so don't shoot me down for it) but it could be said that as a tattoo is 'semi-permenant' you can never deny you are a sikh if you got Ek Onkar or a khanda.

As Guru Gobind Singh Ji gave us a uniform to stand out with and not deny the fact, if someone approached him about it maybe he would have been OK with it?

Just thinking about it. Not a belief of mine. This is a philosphy board after all...

bopadum

SPNer
Jun 8, 2006
I live in everything
dalsingh said:
I made this point on another thread, but what if you had tattoos before coming into Sikhi?

Well I think as there is no clear cut rule. If you feel in your heart you are against it and it is wrong, then remove it with laser treatment (hence why I called tatto's semi permenant)- which again is marking the body.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
bopadum said:
Well I think as there is no clear cut rule. If you feel in your heart you are against it and it is wrong, then remove it with laser treatment (hence why I called tatto's semi permenant)- which again is marking the body.

I just dont think things like that really bother Waheguru. But who am I to know? For something so vast and powerful, without hate, without fear...it would seem like a petty thing to be concerned about.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM