• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Atheism Sikhism And Atheism

Jasdeep118

Writer
SPNer
Dec 4, 2015
I am Sikh, but I am having some troubles with religion. Some religions have 10 gods while others have one god. But what god should we believe in? Also, does praying work or no? I am just wondering a lot. There is a lot of debate and people are saying praying doesn't work. When I pray it works, but I am not sure. Please help me. I am really confused.

Tejwant Singh

Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jun 30, 2004
Henderson, NV.
I am Sikh, but I am having some troubles with religion. Some religions have 10 gods while others have one god. But what god should we believe in? Also, does praying work or no? I am just wondering a lot. There is a lot of debate and people are saying praying doesn't work. When I pray it works, but I am not sure. Please help me. I am really confused.

Jasdeep ji,

Guru Fateh.

Can you please elaborate what kind of phase are you going through if you like and also what has really confused you?

Comparative religions are difficult to grasp if we do not have knowledge of them.

What is your objective in life as a Sikh?

Hope to hear from you.

Tejwant Singh

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Sat Sri Akaal Ji

I am Sikh, but I am having some troubles with religion. Some religions have 10 gods while others have one god. But what god should we believe in?

What does your Guru (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji) tell you? What does your intuition tell you? The better answer for what "god" you should believe in is to learn about Sikhi (and other religions) and then come to your own conclusion. What do *you* believe in? Not what you "should" believe in.

Also, does praying work or no? I am just wondering a lot. There is a lot of debate and people are saying praying doesn't work. When I pray it works, but I am not sure. Please help me. I am really confused.

Again, you'll have to come to your own conclusion from doing your own research and having experiences and coming to your own conclusions.

What does Gurbani say about prayer?
What do you pray for? Is what you pray for in line with what Gurbani teaches?

Gurufateh

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
Jasdeep118 ji welcome to spn. Given number of posts I assume you are a new member.

Let me share with you what I personally know about your questions, i.e. if I were to answer the same questions were I to ask these of myself:

Q1: But what god should we believe in?
A!: We are all different. Some would like to believe without trying to understand simply because our Guru ji say so. This may lead to beliefs out of love for our Guru ji and SGGS rather an appreciation of the messages or teachings. I try to understand and generally less depend on simply believing. Since one cannot as a student have the intellect of a teacher (like our Guru ji and SGGS) then at times it does not hurt much to actually believe a little. In terms of god/God I am pretty clear and I am at peace with this belief/understanding. It goes like there is one creator; Guru ji and SGGS states that such cannot be fully describable hence a level of belief is always needed. What I believe starts with mool mantar where Guruji basically explain that such a creator is forever true; is a self creation so it is not a God who overseas lesser gods and vice versa; such has no fear so things that we may perceive as hurtful will happen in the realm of the creator because all is in accordance with ultimate truths as to how creator and creation is which we may or may not understand; such is not doing anything in human way of describing it as animosity; such is timeless and no incarnation or reincarnations driven and much understanding of the same comes through a confluence of benevolent and benevolence in the creator and creation.

Q2: Does praying work or no?
A2: Praying can be viewed as an external and an internal activity. The power of prayer lies in terms of the purpose of a prayer. We are enabled by creator and impacted by creation all around us. If one thinks, prays and acts in consonance with all that is around us, then it is quite likely that what you pray being inherently with how is will succeed. However if our prayer is out of synch with or out of consonance with what is all around us, we may be disappointed if we act and pray accordingly. An example is that I may pray that I want to be the President of the USA. Should I be disappointed and say prayer does not work if it does not happen. I know it is an extreme example but the logic can be equally applied to other scenarios. I could also on the other hand pray that I be good to people, have the strength to help others and so on. What would happen? Perhaps such will become an internal beacon, a mental reminder and I may so become. I know I have not given you a yes or no answer but that is how I understand it.

There are other nice threads at spn like the following that you may want to search:

http://www.sikhphilosophy.net/threads/faith-and-sikhism.44912/#post-201936

Feel free to comment back and don't be discouraged when people simply ask you questions in response to your question and it may appear as a push back.

All the best.

Sat Sri Akal.

Last edited:

Jasdeep118

Writer
SPNer
Dec 4, 2015
Jasdeep ji,

Guru Fateh.

Can you please elaborate what kind of phase are you going through if you like and also what has really confused you?

Comparative religions are difficult to grasp if we do not have knowledge of them.

What is your objective in life as a Sikh?

Hope to hear from you.

Tejwant Singh
Well, I looked at videos and articles on how praying doesn't work. Everytime when I look at religions, some have multiple deities, while us Sikh's have one god. I am not sure which one to believe in. For me, I just believe that these deities equal to some high power, but I am not sure.

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
From a Sikh perspective, the deities you read about are not equal to Ik Onkar in Sikhi.

Ik Onkar is not a deity in the same way, say, Krishna or Zeus or Jehova are.

If you are familiar with Hindutva, then Ik Onkar is more like Brahman than Brahma, Vishnu or Shiva and definitely nothing related to avtars.

It's ok not to be sure. It's important on the path to learning. :)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: