• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikhism A Clarifcation

kuchnai

SPNer
Jul 2, 2010
OK so I grew up in America, both my parents are Sikh, though neither is very into the religion or even religious for that matter, I was given freedom to explore intellectually what I wished, and I have..I have thought about many different things, Meaningless-ness of life, vagueness of morality, if anyone is acquainted with the philsophy known as Existentialism, with writers such as Jean Paule Satre and Fredrich Nietzsche...that is what appealed to me..

Anyway I have been coming to the conclusion that like it or not I wont be able to make it through this world without religion,

Finnaly, thanks for reading so far haha, I want a as direct possible explanation of Sikhism as possible. If i were to give you this format

Creation:

Morality:

Afterlife:

Relationship to Other Religions:

I realize its fit more for a Judeo-Christian religion, but still, I am lacking the understanding of those key-ideas in my own religion and honestly most people are quite vauge about that, so someone attempt to answer

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
May I take the liberty and recommend the following website for your desired information on Sikhism. It contains 125 short questions and answers on almost all the aspects of Sikh religion:

"Introduction to Sikhism" author: Gobind Singh Mansukhani

Link: http://www.gurmat.info/sms/smspublications/introductiontosikhism2/contents.html

The above is also available in a book form, which is handy for reference.

"Everyone has to choose their own path. When they allow others to choose for them they will ultimately be unhappy. Walk your path, be proud of your choices, and don't regret anything because you can learn from everything."

With Divine Love & Blessings of Waheguru Ji,

Harbhajan S. Sangha

issondhi

SPNer
Jun 30, 2010
Dear Kuchnaiji, gur Fateh.
First of all I wish to welcome Kuchnai ji to the Institute / School of Guru Nanak Devji
ie;Sikhi.To be born in a sikh family does not automatically make you a sikh,though you
may call so.But your desire to learn/ know answers to the questions through sikh way of life is very heartening.
May I know weather you can read or write Panjabi?To know the real essence of Gurbani
understanding of Panjabi is a boon.Translation/Interpretation of Gurbani in any other
language cannot bringout the real essence.Guru Nanak gave a very apt and beautiful name to his diciples as "Sikhs" ie; students.So being a sikh you become a sikh of Guru Nanak.s School of thoughts.The syllabus you follow is , "Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji" which guides you to reach/identify God within you, and that is the purpose of life after taking a birth as human being.Now I answer your questions with the small intellect I have:-

(a)Creation.
"Arbad Narbad Dhundukara, Dharan na Gagana Hukam Apara."(ang 1035 GGSJ),For endless eons, there was utter darkness.There was no earth or sky;there was only the infinite command of His Hukam.Please read complete Shabad about creation.You created the vast expanse with One Word.hundreds and thousands of rivers began to flow.(Japji)"Saache Te Pawna Bhayya-----")(ang19 SGGSJ)From the Lord came the Air
and from air came water:From water He created the three worlds;in and every heart He has infused His light.None but the Creater who created the universe,knows when He created it.(Japji 4)
(b)Morality.There are so many shabads on morality in SGGSJi.In Asa Di Vaar itself you will find so many answers.
(c) After life. Those who do not cherish Truth and Endeavour here , shall not be honoured hereafter.(1245SGGSj)Those who indulge in sensuous pleasureshere,suffer misery in the hereafter.(1276SGGSji)Hereafter, amans word and deed s are scrutinised and he is brought to account for them.(asa 464 SGGSJi)There are many more Shabads
toquote but I end it here as its becoming lenghthy.

Bhul Chuk Maaf,
Tere Bhane Sarbat Kaa Bhalla.

Iqbal singh.

kuchnai

SPNer
Jul 2, 2010
Yes of course your right, i can't have the honor of calling myself a Sikh just yet, I guess i meant more in social terms really? haha but thank you both of you, both your replies were helpfull, as for Punjabi yes I can speak...but I cant read or write hahaha...I understand Gurbani is a poetry would lose power in translation but are there english versions of the Guru Granth Sahib available online? Though this does bring up something I have though of before, Christians translate their writings as frequently as possible to reach as large as an audiance as possible , while it may be not as powerfull in other languages should not attempts be made to do the same with Sikh writings? Just asking opinions haha not starting any arguments

issondhi

SPNer
Jun 30, 2010
Dear Kuchnai ji ,Vahe guru ji ka Khalsa Vaheguru ji ki Fateh,
welcomekaur
Its nice to know that you understand Punjabi.Half of your hurdle in understanding Gurbani is over.Guru Nanak ji says ,"If you take one step towards Him , He takes million steps towards you." Kalyug is blessed period because of the availability of multi media & internet facilities.You will be glad to know that you can now read Guru Granth Sahib JI
in English, Hindi, Gurmukhi and many other world languages along with translation and translitration.You just write Guru Granth Sahib JI in (English translation) on any search engine and Lo! plenty of sites will open. So you can now start Sahej Paath , try to understand the essence and be blessed.
PS;Dont misunderstand me about being Sikh .It includes me as well .

God bless

Iqbal Singh

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: