Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Sikh women as granthis and women kirtan jatha in golden temple

Discussion in 'Sikh Women' started by sachbol, Sep 28, 2011.

1. sachbol

sachbol
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

1. I wonder why ladies are not appointed as Granthi or Kirtaniya in Golden Temple ?:tablakudi:

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Great Sikh Women - Guru Fatha Singh Khalsa Essays on Sikhism Jun 26, 2016
    Sikhi Why Are Some Sikh Women Now Wearing The Turban? Sikh Sikhi Sikhism Feb 15, 2016
    I feel Sikh women have become weak today... Blogs Oct 21, 2015
    General Sikh Women Hate Sikh Guys and Love only Hindu guys? Blogs Oct 15, 2015
    Who are the most powerful Sikh women that we have today? Hard Talk Jan 15, 2014

3. charan173

charan173
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Maybe this is due to cultural or tradition constraints. japposatnamwaheguru:

4. charan173

charan173
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Maybe this is due to cultural or tradition constraints. This is the challenge that all Sikhs need to face - to differentiate or separate religious tenets or philosophy from Indian-Punjabi or Western culture-belief system which have influenced majority of the Sikhs. Even our Gurus tried their best to give equal responsibility and space for both gender yet women especially rather stay in their comfort zone (private domain) with thinking that getting involved in any gurdwara matter is not wise as it is considered as man's activity (public domain). I am speaking from my current research on gender in Sikhism.

Gurfateh Ji.

5. Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh United States
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

It is because the Sikh honchos who are responsible for this are not Sikhs and hence do not follow the teachings of SGGS, our only Guru.

6. eropa234

eropa234
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

I think most live a ritualistic life without any guidance over enlightened life without any guidance. I blame the Women as well for not demanding that they be treated with full equality.

7. Dawn

Dawn
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Hello, I'm new here and want to know more about Sikhism :)
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but has there since been any change in this rule?
    Are Sikh women allowed to lead kirtan in the golden temple? If not, is this exclusively at the Golden temple, what about other regular gurdwaras, are woman allowed to lead kirtan there? Thanks.

8. sachbol

sachbol
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Nothing has changed nor it will change.
    Yes in some Gurdwaras, governed by local committies, the women are allowed.