• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh News Sikh Students Group Marches Against 1984 'genocide' (IANS Via Yahoo! India News)

Sep 20, 2004
New Delhi, Nov 1 (IANS) Holding placards and tyres slung around their necks as a mark of protest, members of the All India Sikh Students Federation (AISSF) took out a march in the capital Sunday, demanding justice for the victims of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots.

More...

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Hmm. This is coming from Yahoo India. It was moved...more reason for suspicion...and I do get tired of it! I get tired of always feeling as if I am being played for an idiot. I will try to find another link from another source. Thanks for the update.

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I found the story in ThaiIndian. Here it is, but it looks like an old story. That may be the reason why it is no longer available on yahoo.

Sikh students group marches against 1984 ‘genocide’

Sikh students group marches against 1984 ‘genocide’

New Delhi, Nov 1 (IANS)

Holding placards and tyres slung around their necks as a mark of protest, members of the All India Sikh Students Federation (AISSF) took out a march in the capital Sunday, demanding justice for the victims of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots.

The AISSF activists and some victims’ families, who marched from Gurdwara Bangla Sahib to Jantar Mantar observatory built in 1710, off the posh shopping district of Connauht Place here, also demanded that the Indian Parliament acknowledge the riots “as a genocide of Sikhs”.

They raised slogans demanding “justice and punishment to those who perpetrated the anti-Sikh violence 25 years ago”, in which some 3,000 Sikhs were killed in the capital and other Indian cities. The riots erupted following the assassination of prime minister Indira Gandhi by her two Sikh bodyguards.

“Thousands of Sikhs were massacred in 110 cities of India in a systematic and organised manner, and justice (has) not only been delayed (but) it has been denied,” AISSF president Karnail Singh Peermohammed said.

Peermohammed said the AISSF would file PILs in high courts of the states “where massacres occurred” to demand that shut cases against police officers and politicians accused in the riots be reopened.

The AISSF will file a PIL in the Supreme Court, asking it to take cognisance of the “fact that the government had failed to protect the life, liberty and property of Sikhs”.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM