• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

1984 Anti-Sikh Pogrom Sikh Shrine Refuses Prayers For Former Army General

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Sikh shrine refuses prayers for former Army General
Gautam Dheer

The family of a highly decorated hero of the 1965 war with Pakistan, Lt Gen RS Dayal, a Maha Vir Chakra (MVC) who died last year in January, was refused prayers to mark his first death anniversary by a gurdwara in Haryana citing the general’s participation in the 1984 Operation Blue Star.

Left with no choice after the unceremonious refusal by the management of the gurdwara in Panchkula, a satellite township adjoining Chandigarh, the family of the general performed the prayers as per Sikh rituals at their residence with the help of Army priests on December 30. Later, the family organised a “langar” (community kitchen) within the Western Command cantonment in Chandimandir.

The issue has sparked off a controversy with many ex-servicemen terming it unfortunate. Lt Gen Dayal was the chief of staff at the Western Command when Operation Blue Star was carried out in 1984 to flush out armed militants from inside the Golden Temple complex in Amritsar.

The officer, who died on January 29, last year, had also served as lieutenant-governor of Pondicherry and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Gen Dayal was awarded the MVC, the country’s second highest war gallantry award, for displaying exemplary courage while capturing the Haji Pir Pass in Jammu and Kashmir in the 1965 war with Pakistan.

Surprisingly, the move by the Sikh shrine to decline prayers has in no way offended the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbhandak Committee (SGPC), the organisation managing a majority of Sikh shrines across India.

SGPC President Avtar Singh Makkar said Lt Gen Dayal was a decorated officer but played a major role in the Operation Blue Star.

He said the Army had attacked Akal Takht—the highest temporal seat of Sikhism—and the officer never regretted his action nor tendered an apology.

Political commentator and Sikh scholar SP Singh said: “The move is reprehensible.

Would the SGPC explain as to how many families of rapists, murderers and those convicted for heinous crimes have been similarly denied an opportunity to perform last rites. Also, it is deeply problematic to start denying the kith and kin of a deceased the opportunity to perform the last rites on the basis of their perceived sins.”

Objectionable

The gurdwara management’s decision is even more objectionable because Gen Dayal was never excommunicated from the Panth by the Akal Takht, the only authority that can do so, Singh asserted.

The general’s wife, Barinder Kaur, said the local gurdwara management flatly refused to perform rituals for her husband citing his participation in the Operation Blue Star.

“It came as a shock. I told them my husband was following the orders and performing his duty,” she said. “They rake up the Operation Blue Star and forget his contribution in the 1965 war.”

Gurdwara secretary Harbans Singh, however, said the gurdwara had only respected the sentiments of the Sikh community.

The community had objected when the shrine had conducted the “bhog” (prayers) ceremony on the death of Lt Gen Dayal a year ago, which is why the shrine this time refused to perform the prayers. The developments came in the backdrop of the Akal Takth honouring the assassins of former prime minister Indira Gandhi.

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
By what reason do they want to "offer prayers" at the very place he ATTACKED like the ENEMY..raining death and destruction (while following orders)...did they forget that the Very SAME GURU the family wants to offer BHOG was also SHOT THROUGH by several bullets form their guns ?? ( Shaheedee Bir is present at harmandir sahib).

The family reminds the Kaum about 1965 war...did they forget how the HERO of the 1971 War was treated by the hordes while passing through haryana on the way to the Commonwealth Games ?? Just because he was a SIKH !! Those rioters didnt SEE the 1971 HERO..they saw a SIKH..similarly the SIKHS that objected dont see the 1965 war hero..they see a MASSA RANGHHARR...and once a Massa rangghharr always a Massa...sorry its this way..but wounds take time..and the the 1984 wounds are turning GANGRENEOUS..not healing...because one side that committed the AGGRESSION...refuses to say SORRY. Its advisable for such "heroes of 1984" to keep their distance from the sikhs until the wounds heal...or they will get similar treatment.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
By what reason do they want to "offer prayers" at the very place he ATTACKED like the ENEMY..raining death and destruction (while following orders)...did they forget that the Very SAME GURU the family wants to offer BHOG was also SHOT THROUGH by several bullets form their guns ?? ( Shaheedee Bir is present at harmandir sahib).

The family reminds the Kaum about 1965 war...did they forget how the HERO of the 1971 War was treated by the hordes while passing through haryana on the way to the Commonwealth Games ?? Just because he was a SIKH !! Those rioters didnt SEE the 1971 HERO..they saw a SIKH..similarly the SIKHS that objected dont see the 1965 war hero..they see a MASSA RANGHHARR...and once a Massa rangghharr always a Massa...sorry its this way..but wounds take time..and the the 1984 wounds are turning GANGRENEOUS..not healing...because one side that committed the AGGRESSION...refuses to say SORRY. Its advisable for such "heroes of 1984" to keep their distance from the sikhs until the wounds heal...or they will get similar treatment.

Gyani ji

Can you tell me how many victorious powerful countries have said sorry?
The words sorry , compensation , apology are only for defeated and weak countries.

Rajwinder

Writer
SPNer
May 2, 2006
hmm .. blue star is any how controversial operation and we can argue unlimited on that one. my personal view is that these "bhog" thing in gurdwara is more like an event where the organising family need to worrry about who to invite , what will be the menu and other arrangements. I dont know what good it will do to the soul of the person. If some body is that worried then may be do a sehaj path at home , pray from heart about the loved one .. that sounds more clear to me. I think this particular situation can be argued unlimited ways .. I think he could have resigned from the military rather then participating in blue star.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
hmm .. blue star is any how controversial operation and we can argue unlimited on that one. my personal view is that these "bhog" thing in gurdwara is more like an event where the organising family need to worrry about who to invite , what will be the menu and other arrangements. I dont know what good it will do to the soul of the person. If some body is that worried then may be do a sehaj path at home , pray from heart about the loved one .. that sounds more clear to me. I think this particular situation can be argued unlimited ways .. I think he could have resigned from the military rather then participating in blue star.

You are right Akhand paath and bhog are much more social things than religious.My father expired in december and we have to do all these things .They are much more burden on family which is in a grief as it looks much more a social event as many people have to arrive for condolence And not to forgot you also need to pay good amount to Gurdwara for paath and hall

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Gyani ji

Can you tell me how many victorious powerful countries have said sorry?
The words sorry , compensation , apology are only for defeated and weak countries.

Canada has said Sorry for kamagatamru..UK has said sorry for the jallainwalla bagh Massacre..for the Batang Kali massacre in malaysia...the US has said sorry for Incarcerating the Japanese in WWII..etc etc...and these were NOT GENOCIDE, these were NOT Attacks by the Overhwelming LOCAL Armed forces against UNARMED CIVILIANS like Ops Bluesatr was..I cant see why the Indian Govt ( which is not powerful, victorious in any way IF we compare it with ITS OWN POPULATION )..just pass a resolution in Parlaiment and go on with healing wounds...) Majority of Indias SIKHS still LOVE thier motherland despite this...BUT it takes a very DIFFERENT type of Courage..bravery to say SORRY...not the type that makes you powerful or victorious..its the MAGNANIMOUS TYPE which is obviously in short supply in the corridors of power in Delhi..

Last edited by a moderator:

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Gyani ji

You are saying that the local branch of the national army opened fire on its own unarmed countrymen and women. much like Tiannaman Square in 1989? So, it cannot be compared to an armed conflict or invastion between 2 nations at war. Did I get that right?

Interesting: Tiannaman means "heavenly peace." Amritsar means Pool of Heavenly Nectar. Words are just words to some people. :angryyoungkaur:

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Canada has said Sorry for kamagatamru..UK has said sorry for the jallainwalla bagh Massacre..for the Batang Kali massacre in malaysia...the US has said sorry for Incarcerating the Japanese in WWII..etc etc...and these were NOT GENOCIDE, these were NOT Attacks by the Overhwelming LOCAL Armed forces against UNARMED CIVILIANS like Ops Bluesatr was..I cant see why the Indian Govt ( which is not powerful, victorious in any way IF we compare it with ITS OWN POPULATION )..just pass a resolution in Parlaiment and go on with healing wounds...) Majority of Indias SIKHS still LOVE thier motherland despite this...BUT it takes a very DIFFERENT type of Courage..bravery to say SORRY...not the type that makes you powerful or victorious..its the MAGNANIMOUS TYPE which is obviously in short supply in the corridors of power in Delhi..

Gyani ji

Could please show me links where UK or USA has officially apologised for Jallianwala bagh or to Japan.Last time queen visited India there was hue and cry that she should apologise for Jallianwala bagh massacre, UK rejected it.

Also these could be few cases but the fact is in majority of cases no apology is issued.

In 20th century Stalin was one of the biggest mass murderer yet I have not seen Soviet or Russia apologising for any crimes they committed against their own citizens or against Polish, Germans , Ukraninans etc.

As far Indian sikhs is concerned , its just selfishness.The same selfishness that took away many sikhs to foreign countries for better life.How many sikhs who day and night talk about 1984 are ready to give up their lives in their respective country and come to India , fighting for justice .Hardly any?

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
Gyani ji

Could please show me links where UK or USA has officially apologised for Jallianwala bagh or to Japan.Last time queen visited India there was hue and cry that she should apologise for Jallianwala bagh massacre, UK rejected it.

Also these could be few cases but the fact is in majority of cases no apology is issued.

In 20th century Stalin was one of the biggest mass murderer yet I have not seen Soviet or Russia apologising for any crimes they committed against their own citizens or against Polish, Germans , Ukraninans etc.

As far Indian sikhs is concerned , its just selfishness.The same selfishness that took away many sikhs to foreign countries for better life.How many sikhs who day and night talk about 1984 are ready to give up their lives in their respective country and come to India , fighting for justice .Hardly any?

KDS JI,

Its COMMON to use the GOOGLE SEARCH FACILITY....with a SINGLE CLICK...and a SINGLE QUESTION...."USA APOLOGISES...."the follwoing LINK JUMPED UP..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_American_internment

Go down and you can see that in 1988 PRESIDENT REAGAN SIGNED the Congress APOLOGY.

I am surprised again and again by posters who shoot off..GIVE ME THE LINK..please type....its another thing if one cannot write ENGLISH that well...But lets get off our backsides and get GOOGLING...ALL the INFORMATION IS OUT THERE..just a CLICK is necessary....no Govt can HIDE anything anymore..and no body can ESCAPE the WORLDS EYES...

I actually find it insulting to GOOGLE that with such a fantastic facility FREELY Available to all rich and poor..people still keep asking..who came who went etc etc...the list of people who did come and who did martyr themsleves..killed at Borders..Parminder singh parmar style ....police encounters..disappeared at airports. disappeared form police stations..... Gurdev Singh kaounkeh style..or ...or became "UNCLAMED BODIES" while trying to decipher the unclaimed bodies PUZZLE....Jaswant Singh kalra style..is endless...please do a little effort jios..searching is actually FUN...esp IF ONE DOES IT HIMSELF....if we ask to be SPOON FED..we cna actually CHOKE...if the Spoon feeding person is careless and feeds too much or too fast..its safer to feed ones ownself...

I an very surprised that you compared Modern INDIA to STALIN'S RUSSIA...India is a DEMOCRATIC NATION..it may have some small FAULTS...but to compare it to Stalins Russia is gross. Side by side with Stalin+Russia ...Indira i+India 1980's is like comparing a SAINT to the DEVIL...there is no need to stoop that low...INDIA can still RECOVER its dignity if the delhi govt so decides...STALIN is BEYOND recovery !!

NO offense meant or intended...so none should be taken.0:)

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
KDS JI,

Its COMMON to use the GOOGLE SEARCH FACILITY....with a SINGLE CLICK...and a SINGLE QUESTION...."USA APOLOGISES...."the follwoing LINK JUMPED UP..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_American_internment

Go down and you can see that in 1988 PRESIDENT REAGAN SIGNED the Congress APOLOGY.

I am surprised again and again by posters who shoot off..GIVE ME THE LINK..please type....its another thing if one cannot write ENGLISH that well...But lets get off our backsides and get GOOGLING...ALL the INFORMATION IS OUT THERE..just a CLICK is necessary....no Govt can HIDE anything anymore..and no body can ESCAPE the WORLDS EYES...

Thanks Gyani ji

I am still searching the link for Jallianwala bagh massacre apology which I am unable to found.As I said there are few exceptions but majority of countries never apologise

I an very surprised that you compared Modern INDIA to STALIN'S RUSSIA...India is a DEMOCRATIC NATION..it may have some small FAULTS...but to compare it to Stalins Russia is gross. Side by side with Stalin+Russia ...Indira i+India 1980's is like comparing a SAINT to the DEVIL...there is no need to stoop that low...INDIA can still RECOVER its dignity if the delhi govt so decides...STALIN is BEYOND recovery !!

The reason I gave example of Stalin's Russia because he was one of biggest mass murderer of 20th century yet even after breaking Soviet union Russia has not issued Single apology on the other hand Germany's land was taken way.Its women raped , and was forced to pay so much amount as repartition .This is just a single example there are other countless examples where no apology is issued

Gyani Jarnail Singh

Sawa lakh se EK larraoan
Mentor
Writer
SPNer
Jul 4, 2004
KUALA LUMPUR MALAYSIA
1. the general involved was censured and condemned by Churchill and others
2. he was also roundly condemned by the PRESS of Brittan
3 gen dyer was retired off form service after a Commission of enquiry
4. The Queen expressed REGRET over the jallianwaala bagh, removed her shoes at the shrine, wore yellow/saffron and laid a wreath..

NONE of this has happened in India after Bluestar or the 1984 Genocide india wide against CIVILIAN SIKHS. In FACT a SHRINE being built entirely by SIKHS inside the Darbar sahib is being shamelssly condmened as Extremist/terrorist etc.

There is a vast difference between the two events...one was a massacre by the colonial masters..the other genocide by own govt sworn to protect...yet the colonials have expressed regret..but not our own govt.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: