• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Pacific Sikh Schools In Australia

Interested

SPNer
May 31, 2007
London
Sath Sri Akaal!

I am wondering if any one out there would be able to tell me if there are any Sikh schools in Australia. I know that there is one in Sydney but I was looking to move to Melbourne. I am a teacher in London and thinking if moving back to Australia.

If anyone knows of any Sikh schools in Australia that I am unaware of could you please post the name and location so that I can view them?

Thank-you so much for your help.:happykudi:

findingmyway

Writer
SPNer
Aug 17, 2010
World citizen!
I lived in melbourne for 1 year and unfortunately as far as sikh sangat goes it was one of the loneliest of my life. There are 5 major Gurdwara's in Melbourne but as far as I know no Sikh school. There are Panjabi and kirtan classes but only for children. If you go as a family it'll probably be easier for you to meet other people but as a single female, no-one wanted to know me. The sangat is divided into 2 main groups-the Indian Sikhs and Malaysian/Singaporean Sikhs. Unfortunately these groups don't really get on as they have different philosophies. I liked to take the best of both worlds! There is an annual Sikhi camp for all ages in January each year (towards end of the main summer holidays) which is fantastic and I wish I'd discovered it at the beginning of my time there rather than when i was just leaving! The Gurdwara's have a huge sangat at the diwans (2000+) but almost 50% are students who came during ardaas and were blatantly just coming for langar. If you want anymore specific information about the Gurdwara's or camp etc feel free to pm me and I'll be happy to fill you in as much as I can.

Interested

SPNer
May 31, 2007
London
Thank-you for your response, findingmyway ji! I think that this is a very difficult decision that I have to make. I would be going back to Australia alone. If I have any more questions, I will ask you. You have helped with this response. Thank-you again

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM