• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Scholars Oppose Influx Of Migrant Labourers

Jan 6, 2005
Metro-Vancouver, B.C., Canada
Sikh scholars oppose influx of migrant labourers

PTI - Chandigarh

Sikh scholars today strongly opposed the influx of labourers from other states into Punjab alleging it had "complicated the situation" in the state.

"The mass ingress of over 20 lakh immigrants from Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Orissa and other states have created many problems", they said during a two-day seminar on 'Changing demography of Punjab'. The huge influx of labourers from these states has overburdened the infrastructure, resulting in short supply of water and electricity, besides creating problems like non-availablity of accomodation and encroachment of public land in many parts of the state, the intellectuals opined.

They also attributed the soaring crime rate in Punjab to the growing number of migrant labourers from these states and charged the politicians with "unscrupulously exploiting the situation by treating them as a vote bank." The scholars' remarks assume significance in the wake of the bomb blast in a Ludhiana cinema hall last month in which six migrant labourers had been killed. Calling for a regulation on immigrants to the state, they demanded that it must be confined to genuine requirements.

"Our own youth must be tutored and motivated to work on our farms and industries", they said.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
It's high time to bring the Dalits into the fold of Sikhism and import them into Punjab. Otherwise, Sikhs will soon be out-numbered in their own homeland. This is a serious security threat to all Sikhs. Jobs will be snatched by other ethnic groups, and Sikhs will become 3rd class citizens when there is a shift of power.

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
It's high time to bring the Dalits into the fold of Sikhism and import them into Punjab. Otherwise, Sikhs will soon be out-numbered in their own homeland. This is a serious security threat to all Sikhs. Jobs will be snatched by other ethnic groups, and Sikhs will become 3rd class citizens when there is a shift of power.

Why do you care about a stupid quota and statistic?

Why not give everyone a fair chance at economic wealth, prosperity and the chance to make their dreams come true?

Why not give everyone a chance to run for office and change it so everyone is equal and no grounds of "your not sikh so your not eligible to enter this state" exist?

Hm, seems like what the Sikhs are saying/doing is the same EXACT thing white people say about us in the western world when we flock over for better living conditions.

Times are changing. Sikhs will migrate outside of Punjab, and other people will migrate in. We will not be the highest population anywhere anymore. It's a fact of life. Let everyone be equal and live, especially try to give the poor an extra push.

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Sikh scholars oppose influx of migrant labourers

PTI - Chandigarh

Sikh scholars today strongly opposed the influx of labourers from other states into Punjab alleging it had "complicated the situation" in the state.

"The mass ingress of over 20 lakh immigrants from Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Orissa and other states have created many problems", they said during a two-day seminar on 'Changing demography of Punjab'. The huge influx of labourers from these states has overburdened the infrastructure, resulting in short supply of water and electricity, besides creating problems like non-availablity of accomodation and encroachment of public land in many parts of the state, the intellectuals opined.

They also attributed the soaring crime rate in Punjab to the growing number of migrant labourers from these states and charged the politicians with "unscrupulously exploiting the situation by treating them as a vote bank." The scholars' remarks assume significance in the wake of the bomb blast in a Ludhiana cinema hall last month in which six migrant labourers had been killed. Calling for a regulation on immigrants to the state, they demanded that it must be confined to genuine requirements.

"Our own youth must be tutored and motivated to work on our farms and industries", they said.

Two things. Firstly as the child of immigrant parents abroad, it is hypocritical for Punjabi Sikhs to complain in this way. We do not expect our host countries to treat us unwell and force assimilation.

Secondly, Sikh youth have become lazy and I have heard complaints from land owning family friends in the Punjab about how they need more labour but at the same time never consider their own children working the land. If I Sikh youth don't put in the work then of course foreign labour will be attracted to the state. It is pretty much the same situation in the UK with foreign labour.

Apr 4, 2007
do these "sikh scholars" have names? can anyone call themself a "scholar" and call the newspaper with a juicy quote like this?

i don't think this kind of discrimination belongs in sikhism, so i find it difficult to believe our "scholars" would support it.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
In Punjab, about 52% of the population are Sikh, 45% are Hindu, and the rest are Jains, Christians, Muslims or Buddists. However, due to large scale migration from Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Bengal and Orissa demographics of Punjab have become more skewed than reported earlier.

source: [URL]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punjab_region#Demographics[/URL]

Sikh Ji,

Statistics mean power or slavery. Please note this. When 52% reduces to 40% then you'll have nothing. The legislation will change in favour of non-sikhs. New acts will curb everything. No majority means no voice.

I have seen this happening in my country over the decades. Presently, the Chinese and Indians have no voice. Everything is controlled by the Malays who are bringing in more Muslim imported work force.

40 years ago, Chinese were 45%, Malays were 45% and Indians were 10%.
Today, due to the influx of foreign muslim immigrants, Malays, who are Muslims - control everything because they are 65% in population, Chinese are 26% and Indians 8%.

The once economically strong chinese, are now loosing out everything. Indians are the poorest ethnic group amongst the 3.

Basic rights are being compromised, because of "no power - no voice".

S|kH

SPNer
Jul 11, 2004
We Are PENN STATE!!
do these "sikh scholars" have names? can anyone call themself a "scholar" and call the newspaper with a juicy quote like this?

i don't think this kind of discrimination belongs in sikhism, so i find it difficult to believe our "scholars" would support it.

Welcome to any religious community. Hypocritical idealistic myths.

This is just another case of the powerful trying to stay in power and using the apologetic masses (Oh noes! Punjab will be taken overs because we don't want to get educated!) and allow the fundamentalist institutions (Not Sikh = NOT IN PUNJAB CAMPAIGN) to flourish. Cover it in the disguise of religion and the masses will follow.

Ah, how the myth still works its ways. Submissive authority to the people in charge, let them deal with it, kick out the others, because they are taking my jobs and power!

But, yes, I am very glad to see your questioning the root of this article -- Who the F--- are these so-called scholars ? lol.

ulterior motives? No, no, no, it's all Guru's Kirpa and in his name !

dalsingh

SPNer
Jun 12, 2006
London
Most of those problems back home are of our own making. But the point about numerical representation is strong. Losing this will cause even more grief in future.

Again, who have the SIkhs to blame but themselves?

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Sikh Ji,

Statistics mean power or slavery. Please note this. When 52% reduces to 40% then you'll have nothing. The legislation will change in favour of non-sikhs. New acts will curb everything. No majority means no voice.

I have seen this happening in my country over the decades. Presently, the Chinese and Indians have no voice. Everything is controlled by the Malays who are bringing in more Muslim imported work force.

40 years ago, Chinese were 45%, Malays were 45% and Indians were 10%.
Today, due to the influx of foreign muslim immigrants, Malays, who are Muslims - control everything because they are 65% in population, Chinese are 26% and Indians 8%.

The once economically strong chinese, are now loosing out everything. Indians are the poorest ethnic group amongst the 3.

Basic rights are being compromised, because of "no power - no voice".

A very practical post. But it is beyaond the understanding of educated liberals.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
Welcome to any religious community. Hypocritical idealistic myths.

This is just another case of the powerful trying to stay in power and using the apologetic masses (Oh noes! Punjab will be taken overs because we don't want to get educated!) and allow the fundamentalist institutions (Not Sikh = NOT IN PUNJAB CAMPAIGN) to flourish. Cover it in the disguise of religion and the masses will follow.

Ah, how the myth still works its ways. Submissive authority to the people in charge, let them deal with it, kick out the others, because they are taking my jobs and power!

But, yes, I am very glad to see your questioning the root of this article -- Who the F--- are these so-called scholars ? lol.

ulterior motives? No, no, no, it's all Guru's Kirpa and in his name !

please go and tell atheist european countries to open the gates of their country and allow millions of poor people of asian countries to settle and work there and tell me what is there reaction

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
first and foremost we cannot equate this scenario with cross country immigration. India is one country and citizens can chose to live and work where they wish and get opportunities. i see similar hue and cry being raised in all parts of india.. chennai cribbing abt influx of north indians, mumbai abt biharis, kolkata abt oriyas... this is hypocritical....times are changing, at faster speed. Earlier people took 2-3 generations to migrate and distances of migration were smaller. But now, with faster access to information of opportunities and means of travel, people move multiple times to greener pastures this will happen....unless every job becomes telecommutable :)

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: