Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

General Sikh Photo on an Article about Arabs?

Discussion in 'Hard Talk' started by Guldeep Singh, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Guldeep Singh

Guldeep Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Dear Members

Guru Fateh

Zakaria: How Homeland Security Harms U.S. Image, Economy - Newsweek International Editions - MSNBC.com

I wanted to bring everyone's attention to this article by Newsweek int'l editor Indian Born Fareed Zakaria. The article is about the difficulty Arabs & Muslims have when entering the USA or applying for Visas. Mr. Zakaria should know better but, he has put a photo of a Sikh Gentleman on page 40 of this week's USA Edition. The article is not about Sikhs or Indians at all but about Arabs. The photo in the Magazine version is smaller and the Sikh w/ the red pagri is focused on that picture; slightly different than the photo on the website above.

My personal experience with Law enforcement at Airports/immigration is that they are least bothered by the appearance of a Sikh. However, this photo perpetuates stereotypes of Islamophobes in the American population thinking Sikhs are staunch Muslims.

I think we should all write to Mr. Zakaria. He is born in Bombay and should know better.

His email is comments@fareedzakaria.com

Guldeep Singh, Franklin Lakes, NJ

----------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------

2. Loading...

3. kaur-1

kaur-1
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

The picture is still there. Maybe Newsweek or MSNBC.com needs to be contacted directly?

4. Guldeep Singh

Guldeep Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

This photo is in every Newsweek Magazine edition. I'm afraid most of the damage is already done.

5. badmash

badmash
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Typical bull. What a farce. Well everyone on this forum should e mail MSNBC every day from now till the end of next week regarding this irony. And if you do not, well that is all the more reason we as Sikhs will continue to suffer.

6. Nihung Mahakaal Singh

Nihung Mahakaal Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

just plain and simple unparta!

7. Jassa

Jassa
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

may be they themself dont know the difference between sikhs and arabs ... maybe maybe not