• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Names

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
You don't have to buy anything. But you're confusing a Living transmission as if it were meaningless ritual. Let's look at some things.
Guruji is understandable to the simple, but He isn't simple-minded,

Never ever I even dared to think contrary to that, who am I ? a simple minded trying to understand Revealed Gurbani !!

He is a Living Master. And Guru's teachings have a depth which is greater than even astro-physics. No human being can understand the depths of Guru. Do you accept Gurbani is deeper and more meaningful than the Vedas?

Well said, Bhain ji , why have you made this an issue? Truly I don’t need any thing to know about Vedas because Gurbani itself is my refuge.

I have given you Gurbani citations. All you give is "you don't buy it." Would you also claim no proof exists for Khande Ki Pahul as being Gur Deekhya? You imply this when you claim Khande Ki Pahul and the Rehit Maryada were created just to keep a disciplined Army for the political purpose of defending against the Mughals.
With due respect, lets look at your latest Gurbani quotes about charan pahul. Hope no one will be offended. All these Guru Vaak do not support Charan Pahul, translator has problem to understand the meaning of a Punjabi idiom” pair/ charan dho ke peene”, its meaning is to regard extremely high, to get idea of charan pahul out of it, it is like a joke played on words. In the last of, Bhai Gurdas deean Varan, it is written if these were read many times some thing good will be rewarded by the Devine. Not a one reference is found in any of the Gurbani where materialistic gains were traded with Gurbani reciting or falling in love for GOD. Should we listen to Gurbani in this context or others to open up a shop that will guarantee financial gains for doing path of such and such Bani. It is called spiritual suicide. So that quote, if implied properly, leads us to unconditional love and respect for the Guru and his spiritual powers. Still I refuse to buy it because distortion becomes grenade to make us limbless in prospect of progressing.
. Now you are complaining vaars and references used to support Guru-chela relationship and Guruji being a Master Yogi didn't support Charan Pahul. The reference to Sidh Gost, for example proves Guru Nanak Dev Ji was accepted as a Master Yogi by the Yogis and Siddhas of the time. Or do you dispute this? And that was the only point.
What are you trying to prove here? Let’s quote Guru Nanak ji in this context because now Yoga theory you are referring from no where. Here is a complete rejection of this practice, only Naam Simran, good deeds are given importance. Such Shabad are for those who have very high state of mind, Guru ji talks here directly about Yoga, in the following Shabad, no ambiguity at all.

jogI kY Gir jugiq dsweI ] iqqu kwrix kin muMdRw pweI ] muMdRw pwie iPrY sMswir ] ijQY ikQY isrjxhwru ] jyqy jIA qyqy vwtwaU ] cIrI AweI iFl n kwaU ] eyQY jwxY su jwie is\wxY ] horu PkVu ihMdU muslmwxY ] sBnw kw dir lyKw hoie ] krxI bwJhu qrY n koie ] sco scu vKwxY koie ] nwnk AgY puC n hoie ]2] {pMnw 951-952}
“ Meanin in essence”The Way of Yoga is demonstrated in the Yogi’s monastery. They wear ear-rings to show the way. Wearing ear-rings, they wander around the world. The Creator Lord is everywhere. All human beings are like travelers. When one’s call for going from here is issued, there is no delay. Only those who realize HIM here are recognized here after Others, whether Hindu or Muslim, are just talk in vain. Everyone is accounted for the actions; without the good deeds, no one gets liberation. One who is lost into memory of True Lord , O Nanak, is not called to account hereafter.
So based on this Guru Vaak, Bhain Ji respectfully I have to strongly disagree with your Yoga thing, Guru ji reduces it to of no use, it is the deeds not the ceremonies, its is Naam Simran being in love with Him, not all other show off that are not recognizable in HIS court.
Ceremonies and rituals are easy to do, hard is to battle with the mind which is deeply corrupted by MAYA SHOW of the world.

you can't change the original meanings or deny the obvious either. Charnamrit = charan (feet) + amrit (nectar). It is holy water from the feet of a Guru. Nectar from the feet of God. This definition is found in Vedas, Mahabharata, Ramayana, etc.

Guru Ji made me done with Mahabharta and other mythical episodes.

"Kal taaran Guru Nanak aya,Sikhaan charanamrit pilaya" meaning: "Guru Nanak arrived to deliver Kalyug,

I don’t think you are aware of the fact that Guru ji is also critic of yugas as good or bad and made clear only that time is SATYUG when HE is remembered. He rejected all trash to bring seeker close to GOD. Dragging back was a good attempt of those people who took over Sikh Dharmsalas when Sikhs were fighting a gorilla War to survive. One person named Bhai Santokh Singh interprets Gurbani by completely making Vedas a base and gives different meaning of the same Guru Vaak( Taran Singh” Gurbani deean viakhya Parnalian page122) More confusion is forced on Sikhs.

Sikhs were given Charan-Amrit to drink. The fact that this is an ancient Indic trandition seems to escape you. You don't accept it. That doesn't mean there aren't historical source references or a thousands year old religious structure that supports it.

Why would Guru ji accept it in the first place? He has to systematically annul all those rituals and he did it. When he refers to Vedas he ask people to find out a fact in there is to worship/ simr HIM only.
It was changed by Dasam Pita Ji because He put an end to human Guru lineage and invested the Shabd-Jyot into Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji.
Respected Bhain Ji wake up, Guru Gobind singh Didn’t change anything started by Guru Nanak Jot.. That is also contradiction. Why would he do it?. Even Khalsa concept is also put in practice as desired by Guru Nanak for self protection.

As part of Khande Ki Pahul in 1699, Guruji also invested His Shabd-Jyot and spiritual authority into Guru Panj Piare since it would not be possible for transmission to occur with Charan Pahul without a human Guru

You can say here spiritual power but not Shabad jot,, I resent that. And as per your own words in last post, it was only one to have honor of Guruship, that is Guru Granth sahibJi
Mann exemplifies this with the initiation rite (charan pahul) at Kartarpur. Using Bhai Gurdas's var (1: 23) Mann explains this as follows: 'the initiate's toe was washed and other Sikhs drank that water' (p. 28). These details are corroborated in the Persian work Dabistan-i-Mazahib (School of Religions), written in the 1640s.
The Sikh Times - Book Reviews - A New Definition of Sikhism"
We cannot just pick and use from Persian sources because a lot of in them are extremely disrespectful towards Guru Ji and Sikhs. It is like this; if suits take it, if not, discard it.
. I've cited a number of historical references and Gurbani. All you've cited is the statement, "Historical references prove..."
Gurbani quoted by you, simply expresses about Disciple and Guru, that is not the issue here.
They do? What references?
” Singh” name added to their names is found in none of the old books written about them, or references given about them.
You say Bhai Kannaya and Bhai Nand Lal Ji were not amritdhri due to the absence of Singh as a last name.
Yes, if amrit ceremony would have taken place, they would have definitely SINGH tagged with their name, no doubt about it.
HERE YOU HAVE ALSO ANSWERED ANTONIO JI”S QUESTION ABOUT NAME CHANGING. If we accept as you say they were amritdhari but didn’t tag name with Singh, then what is problem here? Either way one view has to go wrong.
While this is a curious matter, it's an inference, not proof. By the same token we can ask, did Dasam Pita Ji have 3 wives? Was Mata Jeeto ji, Mata Suridari ji and Mata Sahib Kaur ji three different persons or names of one?
You cannot use by the same token here, they do not exist in History as Singhs as Mata ji with three names, give me a break, reason has its own beauty, it refuses fake decorations.

To jump to the conclusion based on curiosity of the way history has recorded a name is not proof one way or the other. What you're doing is denying Guru deekhya completely on the basis that Bhai Kennaya and Bhai Nand Lal Ji aren't called Singh. To be honest, you don't present that persuasive evidence simply claiming, "historical sources prove." How do historical sources prove there was no Guru-chela discipleship, no Gur-deekhya, no Charan Pahul, and thus no need for Khande Ki Pahul? I'm still waiting for your evidence. By simply saying you don't accept, that's just opinion. By saying Sikh institutions are overrun with hypocrites also doesn't disprove anything.
Bhainj see the difference” If it is” and It is?” You keep distorting my statements for no reason. I tried to make it clear earlier that if Akaal Takhat is taken over by hypocrites, should we listen to them or Guru Granth Sahib?
Secondly I have given you the detail why Tenth Master started amrit ceremony, second, known Sikhs in his time were let out as a Sikhs without amrit. I just cannot see Guru ji having that kind of dogmatic approach towards Naam Seekers. Many people of other faiths met him and were extremely respected him, offered to die for him and they did but Guru ji never ever even asked them to have it. If it were highly necessary for Naam, why wouldn’t he do it? If amrit ceremony was not for self defense, why new kind of symbols was introduced? As per your views, Sikh Dharm was not complete till tenth Master who introduced amrit ceremony. I just cannot imagine Tenth Master be harboring your knd of views like Yoga thing,and that Khalsa has nothing to do with self defense and it was an initiation only for Naam.

By saying Punjab is full of people who are failing to live up to the standards of Sikhi is sad. But again, it doesn't prove anything about Gur-deeksha.
I wrote it just to make you realize outer appearance cannot alone enough for being Sikh. Let people come into fold, let them be ready, when time come, people go for that. This rigidness is totally futile in context of Guru Nanak’s teachings. You are missing a point here, as they do not exist as Ghaneea Singh and Nand Lal Singh in the history, how come chela and Guru and dikshya prevailed in their case without amrit ceremony, obviously it was not for every one. Fake letters are manufactured, fake Hukamnamas are made, none of them prove that Guru ji walked in to that narrow window ever. Now coming back to your trashing my examples I gave. Coloring the truth, doesn’t change the truth. You have no proof in writing by any Guru who supported charan pahul or amrit ceremony as mandatory or to be accepted it to be as real Sikh. Why I don’t accept? Reasoning given behind these is crippled with imaginations.

Let's analyze some of the sources of Charan Pahul closely:
ਚਰਨਧੋਇਰਹਰਾਸਿਕਰਿਚਰਣਾਮ੍ਰਿਤੁਸਿਖਾਂਪੀਲਾਇਆ
charan dhoi raharaasi kari charanaamritu sikhaan peelaaiaa|
He washed His feet, eulogised God and got his Disciples drink the ambrosia of his feet.
Var1, Pauri 3, Vaaran Bhai Gurdas Ji
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿਸੁਖਫਲਪਿਰਮਰਸੁਚਰਣੋਦਕੁਗੁਰਚਰਣਪਖਾਲੇ
guramukhi sukh dhal piram rasu charanodaku gur charan pakhaalay|
Gurmukhs having the desire of the fruits of delight with all love wash the feet of the guru.

It is all about high regard for Guru.

I wash the Guru's Feet, and drink in this water. ||1||
ਗੁਰਕੀਰੇਣੁਨਿਤਮਜਨੁਕਰਉ
gur kee raen nith majan karo ||
I take my daily bath in the dust of the Guru's Feet.
ਜਨਮਜਨਮਕੀਹਉਮੈਮਲੁਹਰਉ੨॥
janam janam kee houmai mal haro ||2||
The egotistical filth of countless incarnations is washed off. ||2||
~SGGS Ji p. 239
It is also same idea, now bear in mind, “charan dhoke peene” is a Punjabi idiom, it implies very high regard, so thinking it as an act will not match the meaning of the following Guru Vaak, quoted by you but look at it

“My consciousness is filled with yearning and hope to meet my Lord, and drink in the sublime essence of His Lotus Feet. ||1||Pause||
~SGGS Ji p. 1268

Now here how one can wash feet of GOD and drink it. People just take one vaak and then use it as it pleases to them.

As quoted by you,in SGGS 134, all about greatness of Guru,SGGS 128, Respect for Guru,SGGS 207 about blessings of Guru,SGGS 1325 it’s a hint towards those who remain in defiance to Guru,SGGS 1399, again power of Guru to change people as hard as wood, Milar Rag, again about surrender to Guru,SGGS 96, ambrosial is His Naam,, SGGS 1302, seeker thanks to Guru and talks about mercy of the Lord.
Nothing is stated it as a charan pahul as an initiation.
In the following, code of conduct is referred to what Guru ji says numerous time as good deeds.
kehath mukath sunath mukath rehath janam rehathae ||
Those who speak are liberated, and those who listen are liberated; those who keep the Rehit, the Code of Conduct, are not reincarnated again. 1230
Respectfully, Harjas Kaur Bhain ji, I have to say that, it is highly unlikely for me to accept any dogmatic philosophy presented in the names of Guru Sahiban because they freed the seekers unlike your views that advocate that they put back them into new ritualism and codes. I respect your views, you are very wonderful as it comes to be a Sikh,: however, deep down in me, refuses to follow what you advocate as true Sikhi. I love and respect those SEHAJDHARI SIKHS, also those who say only way is to take amrit to be Sikh as every one is entitled to have opinion. Amrit ceremony did nothing to me save for good feelings but it was Gurbani that started a war within me. As far as Antonio ji’s question, namjapji and I answered as we believe is right. You wrote as you believe; let’s leave it to her to do whatever she believes in. Sikhs if harbor narrow and rigid attitude towards being Sikh, chances are more that it could hurt it instead of helping it. Thanks.

Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
What Kabir Ji is describing here is very advanced. Anyone who is familiar with yoga knows he is describing Kechari mudra.
---
I will put it simply, the theory of yoga is that you can transform your brain chemistry and you subtle electro-magnetic physiology and this will accomplish this profound transformation of consciousness in stages which will ultimately lead to liberation. It produces the kind of profound alterations of consciousness poorly and destructively mimicked by pharmacologies like LSD or Ketamine or Ayahuasca. What I mean to describe is this experience is far beyond the average person, has nothing of the nature of hallucination, and does involve experiencing the reality of other worlds imperceptible to ordinary human consciousness. And once this change takes place, it's permanent. Your mind and brain would never be the same again. It is clear this kind of profound samadhi experience belonged to Kabir Ji. Thus, I have to conclude he was also brahmgyani and jeevan mukt.

You can't learn advanced practices like kechari mudra or certain kriyas without an experienced Guru. We can distill from Gurbani that Guruji has given us a practice. All these practices are related.

Kundalini Yoga and Pranayam are related.
Yes, some sikhs in US do practice this as well [courtesy: Bhajan yogi] .

But awakening of kundalini,through breath control, is not professed by sikhism.We are ordinary people; we are advised to do Naam abhiyaas rest is all academics.
What I liked in the post is that you have stated that Naam and practice of the same is of importance. The practices may or may not be related, we do not know. Sikhs even do not know the 'sushmana'. They even need not know.It is all academics.

Sikhs should follow the edicts in words and spirit without bothering about Kundalini awakening. It is all academics.

Randip Singh

Writer
Historian
SPNer
May 25, 2005
United Kingdom
what is a "sikh" name?

I don't think there actually is such a thing as a "Sikh"" name, because many Sikh names are based on Sankrit and Persian (components in Bani).

I think Sikhi has its cultural roots in Punjab and Punjab has been influenced by many languages eg Sansktit, Persian (and even English).

I would define a "Sikh" name as that being rooted in Sikh Culture, lore and tradition i.e. that which has meaning within "Sikhi".

For example I named my daughter Daya 1) because of Bhai Daya Singh 2) Kindness from one of the Sikh virtues.

If I named her Tanya, I would not have any idea of the meaning or have any cultural attachement to it.

I find names significant, because they are like an Anchor that routes you to your past and culture (which is not a bad thing). For example curiosty about my own name made me find out its meaning, which led me to Punjabi Culture and Sikhi.

In this respect I think having a "Sikh" ame is important.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
randip veerji

is "sikhi" a culture?

yes names represent a culture, but how do they define faith/ideology?

what you wanted to share and as i understand, is that your conscious effort to keep up with your punjabi roots.

why shouldn't an average Joe be allowed to keep his roots when he embraces Sikh thoughts?

why should he suddenly start feeling great love for punjab?

this sounds so similar to the love muslims have for arabia

Feb 14, 2006
These are different views of Sikhism. Is Sikhi a historical outgrowth with culture rooted in the surrounding areas with mix of languages and traditions?

Or is what we mean by "Sikh name" something derived from Gurbani rich in power words (vibration, shabad) and symbolic meaning which represent spiritual qualities? Does Sikhism have a Living Guru who points parents/Panj Piare by way of Hukam and custom of first letter to qualities specially designated for a particular person?

I suppose it all comes down to a matter of belief versus disbelief. Either you believe the Sikh naming custom is rooted in the reality of a Living Guru or you do not. Either you believe Gurbani is saturated with power from Gur-shabad, or you do not. And whatever you belief is will inform your understanding.

futurekaur

SPNer
Sep 10, 2007
North Carolina
Randip, I like your name too. But for those of us who are not Panjabi or Indian, what is the way foward for global sikhs?
In a way I love the innovation of Kevinjit! Kevin is Irish really Caoimhin for 'beautiful, handsome' with the panjabi ending. So it works very well. My first name is Courtney, a common American name. It's just like 'Darbar' so why change it?
It is my middle name Sarah - hebrew for 'princess' that was my Jewish religious name. And yes, that I wouldn't keep. [well Kanwar is really the same:)]
So is there anything wrong with 'Courtney Kaur'? I won't be taking amrit for a year or two, but from my reading Guru Gobind Singh didn't change the first names of the panj piaras.

futurekaur

SPNer
Sep 10, 2007
North Carolina
Please, please can you discuss the pros & cons of yoga on another thread?
I would appreciate some help and wise advice on Sikh personal names for Global Sikhs. Other religions require converts to change their first names; Sikhi requires the last. Is this perhaps the reason that converts change their first names? Are we falling into a trap by imitating other religions?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
Actually jios,

I think futurekaur ji has a point. The conversation has been interesting, but she was hoping to get some specific questions discussed and possibly understood.

Maybe, if you are willing, a mod could create a thread and move these yoga discussions over.

I may have fallen short on my duties -- not to have moved the discussion of Sikh names forward.

What do you discussants think?

futurekaur

SPNer
Sep 10, 2007
North Carolina
that's a great site Namjap ji;
Actually the names are very meaningful ; kamaljot, livsharan, rasjeevan, guroop etc which is why this is a matter of discussion . From your sharing this archive, I think your opinion is that on taking Amrit one should take Hukamnama from the Guru and have the Panj Piare give you a new first name. Anyone else?

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
NamJap ji

Thanks for following up with that idea. I saw that you created a thread earlier today to house the yoga discussions. Now you have moved them. The yoga discussions are important enough actually to deserve their own thread.

Back to futurekaur ji,

My own opinion is that it is a good idea to stick with the tradition of taking a hukamnama and then the Panj Piaaree select the name. Actually, I think they look at the first letter of the first word, and suggest several names. Then one is identified as the best. This is the way to go because it cuts out the kind of weirdness that inevitably enters the situation when new age strategies are used. It eliminates the ego aspect -- the hukam is drawn and the shabad becomes the basis for the name. So in essence the shabad finds you and you find the shabad through the new name. But again, sometimes my opinions are dreadfully old hat.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Futurekaur Ji,

I can figure out the meanings of a few names but Ekmusafir would be a better person to give a clearer understanding of the names. For example I understand Kamaljot to mean Light within the Lotus of the heart. But this is merely my shallow understanding.

I also want to know about names having an effect to the individual's karma - the modus operandi like vibration count, frequency or numerology, etc. Kindly throw some light on the subject.

Feb 14, 2006
It eliminates the ego aspect -- the hukam is drawn and the shabad becomes the basis for the name. So in essence the shabad finds you and you find the shabad through the new name. But again, sometimes my opinions are dreadfully old hat.
I found this opinion to be very centered and spiritual explanation. Actually the Panj don't pick out a name for you unless you can't think of one, but the name should fit the first letter of the hukamnama as per Sikh tradition. I didn't want to pick a name so I had a 2 friends who were there and all agreed and decided, the Panj accepted it and as you say, what a blessing to let the shabad find you. Especially in the power of that moment of amrit sinchaar, the vibrations are very high and you feel close to Guru. I really do believe in this way the Guru is speaking and handing you something personal in the name as a quality. Since the Shabad is the Jyot of Vaheguru, the vibration of the name has a quality of beej mantara. You become known as this holy quality, and no longer the former identity.

~Bhul chak maaf

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
I found this opinion to be very centered and spiritual explanation. Actually the Panj don't pick out a name for you unless you can't think of one, but the name should fit the first letter of the hukamnama as per Sikh tradition. I didn't want to pick a name so I had a 2 friends who were there and all agreed and decided, the Panj accepted it and as you say, what a blessing to let the shabad find you. Especially in the power of that moment of amrit sinchaar, the vibrations are very high and you feel close to Guru. I really do believe in this way the Guru is speaking and handing you something personal in the name as a quality. Since the Shabad is the Jyot of Vaheguru, the vibration of the name has a quality of beej mantara. You become known as this holy quality, and no longer the former identity.

~Bhul chak maaf

Harjas ji,

Yours is a much better explanation of finding one's true name. The personal attention of the Guru-- an awesome description.

futurekaur

SPNer
Sep 10, 2007
North Carolina
Aad ji I don't think that is old hat at all. Ego is such a big thing, much better to let the Shabad find you, put so well. Harjas ji, that is so inspiring! Thank you for sharing your personal experiences.
Did you request to take Hukam for your name or is it normally done at Amrit....

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: