Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Sikh History From Persian Sources

Discussion in 'History of Sikhism' started by Randip Singh, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Randip Singh

Randip Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPN Sewadaar
    Historian SPNer Supporter

I thought I'd post my old posts from History of the Sikhs: Sikh History From Persian Sources! here:

I have taken the Liberty of posting a few texts from DR JS Grewal and Irfan Habib's book - Sikh History From Persian Sources.......
    pg 93 - Akhbar's Meeting with Guru Arjan
    Here Guru Ji shows his spiritual and temporal side..........he uses the opportunity to help the local peasantry..........
    Heroic Yet Tragic End Of Guru Gobind Singh Ji's Son - pg 103
    This passage describes Guruji's sone dieing fighting at Chitor.
    On The Practice of Caste pg 77
    Despite Guru ji appointing followers from lower castes to be his Masands..........it is quite evident that the caste system was very much in place........

About Bandha Bahadhur His Conquests and Followers
    pg 135 - Territory Seized
    It would appear the commentary is written with some considerable sour grapes, as so much fertile land came under Sikh control.
    Pg 143 - Follower of The Bandha
    It seems we owe much to our existence as Sikhs to classes that are ostricised. Remember these are the words from impartial people who were around at the time.
    pg 140 - Martyrdom of Bandha and His Companions
    This shows true defiance in the face of death, abd no shirking, despite the odds. Truly inspiring!

pg 163-2 - Bandha Bahadhurs Followers
    Some venom in the writers thoughts towards these sparrows that challenged the hawks! :) Robbing the rich to give to the poor.

Here's another interesting couplet...........
    An Account of the Sikh 1808 - Imadu's Sa'adat by Saiyad Ghulam Ali Khan Naqavi (completed 1808)
    page 214 Chapter 19 - Sikh History From Persian Sources
    pp 70-71 Short Account of the Genesis of the Sect of Sikhs in Hindustan

About the Misl Leaders........
    pg 198
    About the Sikh Soldiery pg 215

CHAPTER 18 - SIKH RESISTANCE TO AHMAD SHAH ABDALI'S INVASION OF THE PUNJAB 1764-65
    pg 207 Jangnama by qazi Nur Mihammed compiled 1765
    A heroic sacrifice witnessed by Muslims themselves............

here is a bit more information from Qazi Nur Mohammed.............pg 210
    What we seem to have here is s continuity of the abolition of the Zamindari system, which meant land was held by Nawabs and Rajputs. The revolution was first started by Bandha Bahadhur. The philosophy was simple...........those that work the land should own the land.........

2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Sikh News How The Left & Indian Nationalists Distorted The History Of Sikh Gadhar Movement - Breaking News Sep 21, 2016
    Sikh Gurus Ram Puniyani (Dr) Distorts Sikh History History of Sikhism Aug 5, 2016
    Sikh News 'Saakhi' Audio App To Tell Stories Of Sikh History, Valour - Hindustan Times Breaking News Jul 29, 2016
    Sikh Gurus Sikh History Vol 9, Guru Gobind Singh History of Sikhism Jun 28, 2016
    Sikh Gurus Sikh History Vol 8, Guru Teg Bahadur Sahib History of Sikhism Jun 28, 2016

3. Parma

Parma United Kingdom
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Supporter

Just one word. The man that says no one should be proud of caste is the one that is always on about it. I have read a few passages in this post and they seem to always down grade that jatt caste. Caste is your deeds. No man is smaller than me. In the the same breath no man is bigger. Its the person and who they are. Everyman is capable of all bad and good. Just depends they way in which you focus your mind. I am a man of No caste. Just a humble one.

4. Randip Singh

Randip Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPN Sewadaar

It is indeed ironic that you who seems not concerned about caste seem to only pick up on this issue....there is much more to the excerpts from the Persian sources than this.There are mentions of battles, the Guru's, sacrifice, martyrdom, character etc etc....yet you have focused on one tiny aspect the caste?.......and that caste of the Jatt as well......there is mention of tanners, shoemakers, carpenters too....why not mention them?

Dear friend, these are pages of Persian Historical texts translated by Dr JS Grewal, himself a Sikh of Jatt origin........they should be viewed in the context of what they are....historical texts.

The fact that the Jatt was seen as lowly at that time in history is neither here nor there, it is the fact that how society operated in those days that is important......In this case the haughtyness of the Khatri's (Kshatriyas), despite efforts by the Guru's to get rid of the system, should make us aware that today if we are haughty, then what our status was in the past.....and why we should get rid of caste.

5. Arvind

Arvind
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer Contributor Supporter

Thanks for sharing veer ji.

Caste system is so disgusting. Guru Sahib created Khalsa to abolish this discrimination and now we are again back to the same low/high/useless distinctions!!!

I didnt know that history has depicted Banda Bahadur in such a venemous way. Historians should be impartial always, and should consider every possible aspect.

Regards.

6. Tejwant Singh

Tejwant Singh United States
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor Writer SPNer Contributor

Our Gurus created Sadh Sangat for some reason. Sadh Sangat- Unity is not possible without equality.

Tejwant

7. kds1980

kds1980 India
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Randip veer ji thank you for sharing this invaluable information

8. Randip Singh

Randip Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPN Sewadaar

rember...these are Persian's words i.e theMughal historians of the time......filtering through the venom one gets the impression how massive a threat they viewed Bandha.

on caste one must remember these are accounts from 300 years plus ago.

9. Randip Singh

Randip Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPN Sewadaar

No problem.

I would encourage people interested in Sikh History to buy the actual book too.

10. Manmeet Singh Raj

Manmeet Singh Raj
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

Randip Singh Veer ji, what are your impressions of the visual accounts of the shaheed of Panjvi Paatshaah Guru Arjun Dev Ji?

This book relates some interesting information, particularly the operandi of their shaheed.

Dass