• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Harrased For Not Wearing Helmet

Apr 4, 2007
Jasleen supreme court or any other court does not make law It only interpret it.That hy supreme court made judgement in favour of sikh women because it is not the issue of safety but religious sentiments.

Also what about sikh children who sits as pillion rider they obviously wear patka and they are exepmted from it.

the court's judgement doesn't say anything about patkas. it doesn't say anything about boys or men. it only says sikh women don't need to wear helmets.

the LAW says sikh men who are wearing turbans do not have to wear helmets.

until the court rules that sikh men may ride without helmets or turbans, i do not think the ruling about women would apply.

please correct me if the ruling applies to anyone other than sikh women.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
the court's judgement doesn't say anything about patkas. it doesn't say anything about boys or men. it only says sikh women don't need to wear helmets.

the LAW says sikh men who are wearing turbans do not have to wear helmets.

until the court rules that sikh men may ride without helmets or turbans, i do not think the ruling about women would apply.

please correct me if the ruling applies to anyone other than sikh women.

Well the ground level situation in delhi,haryana ,punjab is that plenty of sikh boys are driving 2 wheelers wearing patka's and police is not stopping them.This is 1st case so lets see what will be the outcome.

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
a debate has four components:

1. incidents or observations
2. facts
3. opinions or interpretations
4. Logic

:)

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<i was under the impression that the discussion was only regarding the national law... state laws may be more restrictive.>>

jasleen ji

there is a national law for motor vehicles, that you quoted.
the states equivalents of DMVs make their own rules but they cannot over ride any national law.

i am still out of this debate as not all four components of a debate are being used.

Apr 4, 2007
<<i was under the impression that the discussion was only regarding the national law... state laws may be more restrictive.>>

jasleen ji

there is a national law for motor vehicles, that you quoted.
the states equivalents of DMVs make their own rules but they cannot over ride any national law.

i am still out of this debate as not all four components of a debate are being used.

i appologize, i'm not as well educated as most of the members here. please feel free to add the missing components to the "debate" if you wish. i was only trying to understand the facts. i'm sorry i couldn't contribute more.

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
lol

jasleen

i think i need to revisit my english :)

i meant to state that your post contained the law which is a national "act" and it cannot be overruled by any state motor rule

its different from US, where state DMV make their rules.

no one can add all four components to the debate, but logic is the cornerstone. :)

Apr 4, 2007
lol

jasleen

i think i need to revisit my english :)

i meant to state that your post contained the law which is a national "act" and it cannot be overruled by any state motor rule

its different from US, where state DMV make their rules.

no one can add all four components to the debate, but logic is the cornerstone. :)

i see. i was basing the assumption about state rules on something KDS said. i do not understand the indian legal system very well. my apologies.

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
People, I am going to design a helmet for Sikhs. I need info on how helmets are designed, their shape, materials, etc.
I am thinking that for a Dhumalla, the helmet will be sort of donut shaped and will cover the forehead and the back of the head.
I don't know how a helmet would work for a patialla shahi turban?!
Perhaps, a small helmet could be worn inside the turban??

Apr 4, 2007
People, I am going to design a helmet for Sikhs. I need info on how helmets are designed, their shape, materials, etc.
I am thinking that for a Dhumalla, the helmet will be sort of donut shaped and will cover the forehead and the back of the head.
I don't know how a helmet would work for a patialla shahi turban?!
Perhaps, a small helmet could be worn inside the turban??

lol! i think the turban has to be under the helmet... otherwise those who wear keski as kakkar will not be able to use it.

i would design for a keski or parna, "choti dastaar", not for some big dumalla...

here are samples of the highest (voluntary) standard for helmet construction for all types of vehicles in the US:

Snell Helmet Safety Standards

good luck on your endeavor, this is something i'd support. :)

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
lol! i think the turban has to be under the helmet... otherwise those who wear keski as kakkar will not be able to use it.

i would design for a keski or parna, "choti dastaar", not for some big dumalla...

here are samples of the highest (voluntary) standard for helmet construction for all types of vehicles in the US:

Snell Helmet Safety Standards

good luck on your endeavor, this is something i'd support. :)
Thank you. :}{}{}:
It would help if I had pictures of those dastaars you talk about. Small keski, etc

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
how abt an adjustable helmet.

don't know if it feasible, but just think of a rose bud or those flowers that close their petals.

the base band can be locked on the place where the turban ends and the flexible metal "petals can be locked up on the top.

so depending on the turban size, person can adjust the helmet size :)

pk70

Writer
SPNer
Feb 25, 2008
USA
I stand with all SPN fellows who are saying either wear turban or helmet. Calling patka a dastar is laughable. The law that states" wear helmet" is designed for safety only. Why patka issue is brought any way?

Apr 4, 2007
Calling patka a dastar is laughable. The law that states" wear helmet" is designed for safety only. Why patka issue is brought any way?

the original post featured a photograph of a Sikh man in a patka, who felt he had been harassed for not wearing a helmet. he felt that as a Sikh, he should be exempt from helmet laws, even if he's not wearing a turban.

that's where the issue came up. :)

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
how abt an adjustable helmet.

don't know if it feasible, but just think of a rose bud or those flowers that close their petals.

the base band can be locked on the place where the turban ends and the flexible metal "petals can be locked up on the top.

so depending on the turban size, person can adjust the helmet size :)
genius! Although, i have to see if it works on paper.

I ahve always tried to draw a sikh version of master chief (from halo), I couldn't figure out a way to incoporate a turban into his design. so this is difinetly going to be a challenge.:D

BhagatSingh

SPNer
Apr 24, 2006
the original post featured a photograph of a Sikh man in a patka, who felt he had been harassed for not wearing a helmet. he felt that as a Sikh, he should be exempt from helmet laws, even if he's not wearing a turban.

that's where the issue came up. :)
wow! that was stupid of him.:rofl!!:

Rani_5

SPNer
May 14, 2006
Hi Amarsanghera

Please can I ask for interest, what "google" page you got this quote?:

"Sikh Hoay Sir Topi Tarey Saat Janam Kushti Hoay Mareh"

"A Sikh of the Guru, who wears a hat/cap (something other than a turban)
Will be reborn again 7 times in diseased lifeforms."

Rehatnama Bhai Prehlad Singh ji, p.65

Thank you,:unsure:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: