• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Harrased For Not Wearing Helmet

Archived_Member_19

(previously amarsanghera, account deactivated at t
SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
lol

the guy doesnot wear turban, my guess from the picture

the rule book says - sikhs wearing turban are exempt

anyways - he got his 5 minutes of fame :)

btw, if a sikh is not wearing a turban, why can't he wear helmet?

its for his own safety !!!!!

i have seen young guys wearing patkas or very small safas driving bikes without helmets

when caught they use soem logic to reason which is completely illogical

same bouraah was created by sikh women in chandigarh and punjab

they refused to wear helmet even though none of them wore turbans

the motor authority rules state that prson wearing a headgear, sufficient for protection, like the sikh turban, are exempt from helmets

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2007
Sachkhand
Amar ji, sikhs are considered aliens down south.I had this experience in Mysore esp. in Vrindavan Gardens. They stare and laugh that make you have cramps in stomach.
Many T companies have their offices there and economy of the state is flourishing and they can afford to neglect anyone they like. Further christianity is taking hold in the weaker sections.
Conversions offer some pecuniary benefits as well.

Apr 4, 2007
outside of bangalore, there are what, like 5 sikhs in karnataka? :) i'm not surprised they didn't know the rules.

also, i have to agree... the law is so that sikhs can wear turbans. if they're not wearing turbans, they should wear helmets.

sikhs recently won the right to ride with their turban instead of a helmet in parts of Canada. but they must be wearing a turban, otherwise they're subject to the same laws as everyone else.

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<Amar ji, sikhs are considered aliens down south.I had this experience in Mysore esp. in Vrindavan Gardens. They stare and laugh that make you have cramps in stomach.
Many T companies have their offices there and economy of the
state is flourishing and they can afford to neglect anyone they like. >>>

either you must be oddly dressed or something.....

i know about bangalore, hyderabad and chennai

sikhs are a sizeable population there, especially those who waer turbans

and quite sizeable number work in those tech companies too

your second sentence seems to point out that you think that southern states don't know about sikhs or discriminate with them, which is incorrect

the chief of police of karnataka is a sikh, their head of income tax is sikh and quite senior officals in hyderabad & warangal are sikhs

jasleen ji

bidar in karantaka has sizeable population of sikhs, in fact they are 20% population of the city

apart from that most of major cities in karnataka have decent number of sikhs

trust me, if guessing by this guy's surname, he might be relative of the head of gurudwara committee in bangalore. the local gurudwara committee elections are near :)

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
ofcourse yes

:)

and i am a supporter enforcement of law to make pillion riders wear helmets

now some might give a logic that the joora is too big...etc etc etc

here is a simple answer - the law is clear and for their safety and other's convenience. either wear turban while driving, or buy a helmet that fits, or give up driving a bike :)

:idea:

sikhs with hair should consider wearing this, when on the bike: :{;o:

(please note the smoothe and aerodynamic curves; chain mail sold separately)

WC_Helmet_Front_Large.jpg

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
btw

how does helmet link up with sikhism?

turban and helmet confict is fine...but what is the great anti helmet feeling?

hmm

let me guess...

must be some rehetnama....

lemme google...

ok....

here is it..

the root cause of all senseless behavior....

"Sikh Hoay Sir Topi Tarey
Saat Janam Kushti Hoay Mareh"

"A Sikh of the Guru, who wears a hat/cap (something other than a turban)
Will be reborn again 7 times in diseased lifeforms."
Rehatnama Bhai Prehlad Singh ji, p.65

so....................

this gets us to the root cause of all this hooo haaa haaa

sikhs should wear helmets... and that picture is living proof that sikhs wore helmets without turbans (to protect themselves).

i dont think cloth will protect your head if its pounded against pavement at a significant velocity. the turban offers minimal protection at best.

someone should design a modern helmet like the one in the pick and make a few $ while they are at it.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
If you want to kill a religion then you don't need Aurangzeb liberals like Amar will do this job in few years :}{}{}::}{}{}::}{}{}:

Amar and sinister it is not your duty to tell sikhs whether they should wear helmets or not
Some sikhs will find no objection in it while others will even stop driving 2 wheelers as they beleive that wearing helmets is against it.

When other religions are getting rights then why sikhs can't get special rights.

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<Amar and sinister it is not your duty to tell sikhs whether they should wear helmets or not
Some sikhs will find no objection in it while others will even stop driving 2 wheelers as they beleive that wearing helmets is against it.

When other religions are getting rights then why sikhs can't get special rights.>>

its my duty to defend the law, even if vocally, when some stupid religious fanatic wants to whip up public opinion to suit his ends.

and if you have read all my posts, i do it against all religious bigots, irrespective of their religion :)

what special rights?

its clearly given as a special right that turban wearing sikhs are exempt from wearing helmet.

why should patka qualify as a protective headgear?

90% of road accident deaths happen due to head injury. helmets save lives and also legal hassles for people who get into accidents. one person's recklessness of not wearing helmet might lead another person to long sentences if there is a death in accidents.

too much fanaticism makes stoneheads, so maybe they can be exempt

<<

If you want to kill a religion then you don't need Aurangzeb liberals like Amar will do this job in few years>>

thanks KDS ji

i actually take it as a compliment.

Guru Nanak actually started out to say no to religions and their fanatic dogmas, not create another :)

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
its clearly given as a special right that turban wearing sikhs are exempt from wearing helmet.

why should patka qualify as a protective headgear?

Some people beleive that patka is also small dastaar.so now government will decide which type of turban sikhs should wear.

If you are so worried about India then start a camgaign that indian government should allow cow slaughter and export of beef.because according to many economists indian economy is bearing burden of keeping useless cows and oxen some beleive that burden is as high as 18000 crore rupees per year.Also it promotes illegal exports of cattle to pakistan and bangladesh.

i actually take it as a compliment.

Guru Nanak actually started out to say no to religions and they fanatic dogmas, not create another

Guru nanak in his 6th form introduced concept of miri and piri in sikhism and its quite clear that sikhs were following code of conduct before guru gobind singh ji.so no government can stop sikhs to follow sikh code of conduct to sikhs who want to follow them

Archived_Member_19

SPNer
Jun 7, 2006
<<Guru nanak in his 6th form introduced concept of miri and piri in sikhism and its quite clear that sikhs were following code of conduct before guru gobind singh ji.so no government can stop sikhs to follow sikh code of conduct to sikhs who want to follow them>>

can you provide a reference from Guru Nanak or any other Guru's writings or SGGS that patka = dastaar = Sikh

its the Pagg = Sikh discussion again :)

patka is a dastaar

well

this is like those guys who get their beards formed(by slow burn of hair) rather than cutting.. :)

height of hypocrisy

cows were a poor attempt of diversion :)

Apr 4, 2007
ofcourse yes

:)

and i am a supporter enforcement of law to make pillion riders wear helmets

now some might give a logic that the joora is too big...etc etc etc

here is a simple answer - the law is clear and for their safety and other's convenience. either wear turban while driving, or buy a helmet that fits, or give up driving a bike :)

i have to agree. patkas are designed for playing sports, nothing more. they do not offer any protection at all to the head. at slow street speeds, i think a turban would offer some protection (some styles more than others!) in a minor crash. a patka would not. if the person is so against wearing a turban, they can either figure out a way to tie their patka so they can wear a helmet too (ie: joodha in the back), or they can simply not ride. it makes perfect sense to me.

the law says turbaned sikhs don't have to wear a helmet because the turban is required by SRM. there's nothing in SRM about a patka. and there's also nothing in SRM against wearing protective headgear, only hats (specifically topi, i think). and motorcycle helmet is certainly not a topi.

in my state, there is no helmet law at all, for anyone. my preference is to wear a very compact keski with a helmet over the top. in very slow-casual riding situations, a dumalla or very round dastaar will do (without the helmet).

i CAN understand why people want the right to wear their Guru-given dastaar when they ride. i cannot understand why people want to ride around with absolutely no protection for their heads.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
can you provide a reference from Guru Nanak or any other Guru's writings or SGGS that patka = dastaar = Sikh

its the Pagg = Sikh discussion again

patka is a dastaar

So you want to say that sikhs were foolishly wearing turbans despite the fact it was not at all prescribed by any sikh guru.what about rehat.I think you should discuss this issue with vijaydeep singh ji if he visit this site.

Anyway majority of sikhs beleive that without dastaar a person is not sikh and you can't change their thinking.The main issue here is not whether dastaar=pagg the main issue is right of sikh = not wearing helmet

cows were a poor attempt of diversion

Not at all just showing you even economy could suffer because some people's sentiment get hurt.While here a sikh is endangering his life not of other.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
i have to agree. patkas are designed for playing sports, nothing more. they do not offer any protection at all to the head. at slow street speeds, i think a turban would offer some protection (some styles more than others!) in a minor crash. a patka would not. if the person is so against wearing a turban, they can either figure out a way to tie their patka so they can wear a helmet too (ie: joodha in the back), or they can simply not ride. it makes perfect sense to me.

Thin turbans too can't provide any protection.college going sikhs these days wear patka's because they have to do lot of fun.

Astroboy

ਨਾਮ ਤੇਰੇ ਕੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਲਗਾਈ (Previously namjap)
Writer
SPNer
Jul 14, 2007
Rehat Maryada says 5 Ks.
That helmet is awesome.

Amar and sinister it is not your duty to tell sikhs whether they should wear helmets or not.

yeap your right 100%

ill just sit back and let mother nature deliver that message for me.

modern helmets provide significantly more protection because of the hardness of the carbon-fiber shell...the impact energy is converted into vibrations and then absorbed by the inner layers of hard foam and then by the soft cushions lining your head. (you also have your skin, skull and CSF fluid for further cushioning of the brain)
a turban cannot provide the harder outer shell protection. A turban also has a knack of coming off when it is tied loosely and experiences high G acceleration. Most turbans expose the areas on the anterior of the parietal bone (on the top of your cranium)...im talking about serious damage...the anterior fontanelle and sagittal suture are left exposed (these are the weak areas within your skull)...the turban provides minimal protection to the occipital bone, parietal and frontal eminence.

anyways
its just not safe thats all...although you should be free to wear whatever you wish. just dont complain when they are scraping pieces of your brain, off the freeway.:wink:

Apr 4, 2007
Thin turbans too can't provide any protection.college going sikhs these days wear patka's because they have to do lot of fun.

so what did college going sikhs wear before patkas were invented? they've only been around, what, 30-40 years, right?

sorry, i don't buy that. patkas are for kids or cricketers... while they're playing cricket. they have no place on the head of a man with a beard. it's just weird. and it's certainly not a turban, so shouldn't substitute for a helmet.

if i were riding without a helmet, nothing less than a 7+ meter dumalla would do for me. :) trust me, there's lots of padding there. :D
however, it certainly wouldn't help in a crash over 30 mhp or so. small keski + full face helmet is best, in my opinion.

kds1980

SPNer
Apr 3, 2005
INDIA
so what did college going sikhs wear before patkas were invented? they've only been around, what, 30-40 years, right?

There is phenominal change in India in 30-40 years .There were hardly any bikes for common man 30-40 years ago.I don't think sikhs ever played sports with wearing turban.
Just look at picture's of milkha singh he participated in olympics with only wearing hanky
on joora also look at picture's of hockey team upto 70's you will find hardly any player who played hockey with turban.

Tell me how could one dive's with wearing a turban.Patka's has provided much support for sikhs or you would have found more and more sikhs cutting their hair.

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM