• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

Sikh Girl Marriage With Muslim Guy - What Are Your Views?

Simple

SPNer
Dec 1, 2010
This is my first time on this forum, so Hello :)

I am sikh but to be very honest I do not know much about my faith.. and would like to know your opinions on sikh-muslim relationships. Some people say that we're all human and hence equal, meaning that marrying those of other religions should not cause any problems. Yet many contradict this and say that sikh girls should not marry muslim boys etc etc ..
- I am not challenging this point of view, but i would like to know justifications of it and why in our modern equal world people frown upon such relationships so much.

I respect others and their opinions, thus I would love to hear yours.

Thank you

Ishna

Writer
SPNer
May 9, 2006
Hi Simple, and welcome to the forum. I hope you take the time to browse some of the excellent threads here and learn some more about your wonderful religion of Sikhi.

I don't think equality is the issue here, but simply difference. You can be different and equal, just like (in Sikh theory, not so much Islamic...) women and men are equal but different.

I am Sikh, and married to an athiest. From this viewpoint, my opinon is that to be in a relationship with a partner of the same faith would be very special and very convenient.

It is difficult sometimes when your faiths and values don't agree. One person has to make a compromise on their own beliefs or viewpoint to accomodate the other. This can cause resentment and be a burden on the sometimes fragile vehicle of happy marriage!

Sikh-Muslim relationships I think would be particularly difficult. From my outsider point of view, I can't understand why a Sikh would want to marry a Muslim to begin with when you consider Sikh history. I don't understand why a Sikh woman would want to marry a man whose religion tells him to beat her if she's disobedient, and kill her family for being infidels. He may be the nicest man in the world, but his holy scripture will still be telling him this.

What happens with children in the relationship? If you have a boy, the Muslim in the relationship will want him circumcised, and the Sikh will not. Who wins? There can only be one decision made.

And religion fuels passion... what might be a standard decision and give/take resolution in a "regular" marriage carries additional emotional weight. The sikh doesn't want to tamper with the natural form of the son, but the Muslim believes he must for the son's covenant with God. Nasty situation, in my humble opinion.

My family recently experienced a death. It was difficult for me to comfort them as my faith is different to theirs. Where I found my solace in Sikhi, I couldn't share that with my husband.

It's these things that happen in life that need to be considered. It's not about being "equal". It's about sharing and closeness and being one soul in two bodies.

That's my opinion, as requested. :happykudi:

I really do hope you take the time to learn a bit more about your beautiful, beautiful religion. Please don't take it for granted, or take it lightly. You've got such an opportunity to become close to God. Being with someone who thinks your religion is wrong isn't going to help you.

Ishna

spnadmin

1947-2014 (Archived)
SPNer
Jun 17, 2004
simple ji

I am wondering why in the thread you say you are Sikh, but your profile indicates your religious adherence is "undlsclosed." Would you be able to explain, or is it an oversight. Thanks.

Simple

SPNer
Dec 1, 2010
simple ji

I am wondering why in the thread you say you are Sikh, but your profile indicates your religious adherence is "undlsclosed." Would you be able to explain, or is it an oversight. Thanks.

I'm sorry I didn't notice it, but have now corrected it.

Simple

SPNer
Dec 1, 2010
Hi Simple, and welcome to the forum. I hope you take the time to browse some of the excellent threads here and learn some more about your wonderful religion of Sikhi.

I don't think equality is the issue here, but simply difference. You can be different and equal, just like (in Sikh theory, not so much Islamic...) women and men are equal but different.

I am Sikh, and married to an athiest. From this viewpoint, my opinon is that to be in a relationship with a partner of the same faith would be very special and very convenient.

It is difficult sometimes when your faiths and values don't agree. One person has to make a compromise on their own beliefs or viewpoint to accomodate the other. This can cause resentment and be a burden on the sometimes fragile vehicle of happy marriage!

Sikh-Muslim relationships I think would be particularly difficult. From my outsider point of view, I can't understand why a Sikh would want to marry a Muslim to begin with when you consider Sikh history. I don't understand why a Sikh woman would want to marry a man whose religion tells him to beat her if she's disobedient, and kill her family for being infidels. He may be the nicest man in the world, but his holy scripture will still be telling him this.

What happens with children in the relationship? If you have a boy, the Muslim in the relationship will want him circumcised, and the Sikh will not. Who wins? There can only be one decision made.

And religion fuels passion... what might be a standard decision and give/take resolution in a "regular" marriage carries additional emotional weight. The sikh doesn't want to tamper with the natural form of the son, but the Muslim believes he must for the son's covenant with God. Nasty situation, in my humble opinion.

My family recently experienced a death. It was difficult for me to comfort them as my faith is different to theirs. Where I found my solace in Sikhi, I couldn't share that with my husband.

It's these things that happen in life that need to be considered. It's not about being "equal". It's about sharing and closeness and being one soul in two bodies.

That's my opinion, as requested. :happykudi:

I really do hope you take the time to learn a bit more about your beautiful, beautiful religion. Please don't take it for granted, or take it lightly. You've got such an opportunity to become close to God. Being with someone who thinks your religion is wrong isn't going to help you.

Ishna

Thank you for your thoughtful reply :happykudi:
I really appreciate what you have said, and I will definately go ahead to find out more about my religion.

Simple

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM