• Welcome to all New Sikh Philosophy Network Forums!
    Explore Sikh Sikhi Sikhism...

UK Sikh Extremist Jailed For 10 Years Over Knife Attack On Indian General Who Was On Holiday In London

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
A Sikh man has been jailed for ten years after being convicted of attempting to assassinate a former Indian military lieutenant general in 2012.

Lakhbir Singh, 26, is the latest, and final, person to be imprisoned over the attack, with three men and one woman already serving time.

Lieutenant General Kuldip Singh Brar, 78, and his wife Meena were holidaying in London when they were ambushed in ‘revenge’ over a military operation that took place in Punjab more than 30 years ago.

article-2521479-1A01245E00000578-382_634x413.jpg

Retired Indian soldier Lieutenant General Kuldip Singh Brar survived a terrorist attack in London last September. Four men ambushed him and his wife Meena, slicing his throat before stabbing him in the jaw

Last year, Harjit Kaur, 39, Dilbag Singh, 37, Mandeep Singh Sandu, 34, and 33-year-old Barjinder Sangha were all jailed between 10.5 and 14 years for their part in the attack while Lakhbir Singh remained at large.

He was arrested last month after handing himself into a local police station in Ascoli, Italy and was taken in by Italian authorities in connection with the attack.

• Singh was handed ten years in prison for grievous bodily harm with intent at Southwark Crown Court today.
The four men attacked Lt Gen Brar in London, in front of his wife, after Kaur, girlfriend of Dilbag Singhhad fed them information about his whereabouts.

It was planned in retaliation for a controversial military raid - Operation Blue Star - led by Lt. General Brar on the sacred Golden Temple of Amritsar in north west India in 1984.

article-2521479-1A01933E00000578-515_306x467.jpg

+5

article-2521479-1A01933E00000578-631_306x467.jpg

+5

Mandeep Singh Sandhu (left), from London, and Dilbag Singh (right), from Birmingham, have each been jailed for 14 years after a jury found them guilty of wounding with intent

article-2521479-1A01933E00000578-856_306x467.jpg

+5

article-2521479-1A01933E00000578-791_306x467.jpg

+5

Harjit Kaur (left), from London, was jailed for 11 years after a jury found her guilty of wounding with intent. Barjinder Singh Sangha, (right), from Wolverhampton, had already admitted the charge and was jailed to 10 years and six months for his part in the attack on Lt. General Brar

The men, tipped off by Kaur, followed Lt. General Brar and his wife as they returned to the Mostyn Hotel in Marble Arch.

Sangha grabbed Mrs Brar by the throat and hurled her against a wall in nearby Old Quebec Street.
When Lt. General Brar intervened, Sangha sliced his throat and stabbed him in the jaw, as the other men held him down.

The retired soldier, who served in the Indian army for 40 years, was taken to St Mary's Hospital on September 30, 2012 but survived the attack.

At the time fo the sentencing of the other four defendants, Judge Jeffrey Pegden said: ‘I am of the view that the attackers wanted to inflict more serious harm, but that Kuldip Brar fought back, preventing that happening’, the judge said.

General Brar was targeted almost three decades after he led the military operation to flush out Sikh separatists from the holy shrine in Punjab.

The raid, codenamed Operation Blue Star, resulted in the deaths of more than 500 civilians.

In the aftermath of the Temple raid, Lt Gen Brar told how he has been subjected to ‘unlimited threats’ and has been branded ‘the number one enemy of the Sikhs’, leaving him needing maximum security.

Commander Duncan Ball, head of the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command said today: ‘The conviction of Lakhbir Singh now means that all those directly involved in the attempt to assassinate General Brar have been brought to justice.

‘We are pleased that today’s sentencing reflects the seriousness of this pre-planned and organised attack.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ian-general-holiday-London.html#ixzz2x3Xe0xM9

Last edited by a moderator:

Abneet

SPNer
Apr 7, 2013
I'd let Kuldeep Brar live the remaining of his life....for who knows what will happen to him after his death. :sippingcoffeemunda:

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised as there are many of our own that want him dead. Too bad for the rest of his life he will be under maximum security....

Abneetji,

I do not want him dead, he was merely a soldier obeying orders, and he carried out those orders, he is actually a nothing, a nobody, an irrelevance, killing him will achieve exactly what?

What I would like is for those that gave those orders to be brought to justice, for justice to be done, and for it to be seen to be done, acting as judge, jury and executioner, in my mind anyway, does not seem to be exactly Gurmat

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
Abneetji,

I do not want him dead, he was merely a soldier obeying orders, and he carried out those orders, he is actually a nothing, a nobody, an irrelevance, killing him will achieve exactly what?

What I would like is for those that gave those orders to be brought to justice, for justice to be done, and for it to be seen to be done, acting as judge, jury and executioner, in my mind anyway, does not seem to be exactly Gurmat

Though I would not recommend taking the law into one hands, serious human rights violations and molestations have occurred under the command of Kuldeep Brar, which could have been avoided. Moreover, instead of accepting his mistakes, this man has been blatantly reiterating his stand, let alone apologising or regretting his actions. He is atleast not as innocent as 'merely a soldier obeying orders', otherwise Nazi military officials would never have deserved punishment for the Shoah.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Though I would not recommend taking the law into one hands, serious human rights violations and molestations have occurred under the command of Kuldeep Brar, which could have been avoided. Moreover, instead of accepting his mistakes, this man has been blatantly reiterating his stand, let alone apologising or regretting his actions. He is atleast not as innocent as 'merely a soldier obeying orders', otherwise Nazi military officials would never have deserved punishment for the Shoah.

its a fair point ji, however, It seems to me that the serious human rights violations and molestations you refer to came under those same orders.

My point is simple it is his masters that should face justice, Kuldeep Brars are two a penny, many a man will sell out for a price, and sell out he did, it is the spider at the centre of the web I want to see in a court, not the insignificant judas on the peripheral,.

aristotle

SPNer
May 10, 2010
Ancient Greece
its a fair point ji, however, It seems to me that the serious human rights violations and molestations you refer to came under those same orders.

My point is simple it is his masters that should face justice, Kuldeep Brars are two a penny, many a man will sell out for a price, and sell out he did, it is the spider at the centre of the web I want to see in a court, not the insignificant judas on the peripheral,.

I dont think the Indian courts will indict him in a thousand years. Denial of justice leads to desperate acts. If pawns aren't being punished, I don't think the masters will even be chargesheeted.

TigerStyleZ

SPNer
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
Why.. just why..? This guy will die soon or later - there was no need at all to assault him.. The worst thing is - they even let him life.. If they planned to kill him they should be prepared.. A sikh never does things by halves.. Udham Singh didnt .. Bhagat Singh etc...... There are TOO MANY I can count.. I am not speaking in favour of killing Brar.. But now they have 10 YEARS for nothing... If they would even kill him atleast the 20 - 30 years would be worth it ... 10 years wasted.. for a guy that is already dead...

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
There were a very large number of Sikhs, Hindus and Muslims who were actively involved in actual killing. There were even a larger number who looked the other way. There is a vast majority who somehow truly believe that Sikhs brought it about upon themselves.

Whole purpose of the holders of the reins in those times was to humiliate Sikhs and show the Hindu majority that it was OK to disrespect or treat Sikhs badly. Beginning of the end of Sikhism of our Guru ji started from that point on in vengeance. There are plenty of SIkhs around who are party to the continuous annihilation of Sikhism so that it be absorbed back into Hinduism.

There is no shortage of so called Sikhs who when offered crumbs of encouragement in societal status, jobs, promotions, praise and so on, will not fall for it. Sikhs have become like any other minority with glorious past and a desperate and heinous future.
Sikhs will be reduced to hapless chanters and spineless creed.

I see no future, sorry about a negative post.

Sat Sri Akal.

Abneet

SPNer
Apr 7, 2013
There were a very large number of Sikhs, Hindus and Muslims who were actively involved in actual killing. There were even a larger number who looked the other way. There is a vast majority who somehow truly believe that Sikhs brought it about upon themselves.

Whole purpose of the holders of the reins in those times was to humiliate Sikhs and show the Hindu majority that it was OK to disrespect or treat Sikhs badly. Beginning of the end of Sikhism of our Guru ji started from that point on in vengeance. There are plenty of SIkhs around who are party to the continuous annihilation of Sikhism so that it be absorbed back into Hinduism.

There is no shortage of so called Sikhs who when offered crumbs of encouragement in societal status, jobs, promotions, praise and so on, will not fall for it. Sikhs have become like any other minority with glorious past and a desperate and heinous future.

Sat Sri Akal.

Don't worry Sikhism today isn't in as of a bad state than in the late 1800's where there were only 800,000 left and expected to become extinct within 100 years and look at us now. Guru ji has his eyes over the Panth at all times remember that. Time will tell what will happen to us in the future. Of course their will be bloodshed in the future no doubt about it.

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011

I actually remember the celebrations on the day in the UK, local news showed a scene in Southall with sweets being handed out and general merriment, I personally did not think it was a particularly Sikh thing to do to kill a woman, not on a battlefield, but after being paid to protect her, to be honest, in hindsight it was an act of remarkable selfishness, those that planned this must have known what would follow, yet, there was no gameplan for the aftermath, many defenceless Sikhs, men women and children were left to be thrown to the pit. However, I am a westerner living in the west, it is hard for me to understand the hate and raw emotion surrounding Ghandi.

for plenty, read most, whether intentional or not, most Sikhs view Sikhism as a halfway house between Islam and Hinduism, and the rot goes right from the bottom to the very top.

lets face it, Sikhism is the best kept secret in the world

negative, or realistic?

Harry Haller

Panga Master
SPNer
Jan 31, 2011
Don't worry Sikhism today isn't in as of a bad state than in the late 1800's where there were only 800,000 left and expected to become extinct within 100
800,000 real Sikhs is a lot more than there are about today, I would say Sikhism in its natural state, in the state that Guru Nanakji, through to Guru Gobind Singhji stated, is largely extinct, history is being rewritten every day, more and more wives are cropping up in stories of our Gurus, we have the DG, take something like initiation into Sikhism, does anyone really believe that our Gurus, standing for equality and lack of ritual, would allow initiation through water that feet had been washed in? yet prior Khande Pahul, that is what history and indeed many Sikhs would have you believe, yet, it fails the litmus test, as indeed do most of the Sakhis, and alleged history.

Guru ji has his eyes over the Panth at all times remember that
what does that even mean?

Of course their will be bloodshed in the future no doubt about it.
oh well lets hope eh

Abneet

SPNer
Apr 7, 2013
800,000 real Sikhs is a lot more than there are about today, I would say Sikhism in its natural state, in the state that Guru Nanakji, through to Guru Gobind Singhji stated, is largely extinct, history is being rewritten every day, more and more wives are cropping up in stories of our Gurus, we have the DG, take something like initiation into Sikhism, does anyone really believe that our Gurus, standing for equality and lack of ritual, would allow initiation through water that feet had been washed in? yet prior Khande Pahul, that is what history and indeed many Sikhs would have you believe, yet, it fails the litmus test, as indeed do most of the Sakhis, and alleged history.

what does that even mean?

oh well lets hope eh

Looking at our history you can say that our faith will never go away. Whether it be another holocaust/genocide Sikhi will still be practiced in this world. But in numbers I don't know what the future has for us, I can see a very low population in the future but who knows.Amrit ceremony is something important not a ritual but a re-birth ceremony. The only big issues within our panth is Anti-Sikh agenda whether it be part of Dasam granth controversy issue or spreading false statements about Sikhi and you know what they are succeeding because most our sangat are uneducated on Sikhi history/teachings. Back to what I meant was Guru ji watches over the Panth and helps us in the time of need. With the whole situation today we surely can use some help...only time will tell.

Sep 19, 2013
Nottingham
I personally disagree with these assessments that Sikhism is shrinking, or that Sikhs have lost their 'glory days' in the 1800s. Firstly, Ranjit Singh's empire was hardly glorious from a Sikhi perspective. He attacked other Sikhs and launched wars against them, he ruled like a Sultan, and he sent the Dorga generals to conquer foreign countries (and butcher and enslave the populace there if they rebelled). Christian missionaries infested the Sikh Kingdom, many estimated that the country would soon entirely convert to Christianity. It's no coincidence that the first Indian king to convert to Christianity under British rule was a Sikh. Sikhism was utterly tied in with the affairs of the army and the state, it wasn't as much of a religious faith any more but a caste of its own. This is the reason why Sikhism nearly collapsed after the loss of the empire: without an army, without a king, Sikhs were directionless and people lost faith because they had been taught to believe that the Sikh Kingdom was the victory over all evil that Guruji had promised us.

This is the fate that befell the Zoroastrians. They placed their faith not in their God and the teachings of their Prophet, but in their Emperor, their temples and their priesthood. Iran, in their eyes, was God's sacred space on earth, an eternal kingdom devoted to order and truth. When the Muslims invaded, deposed their king, burned their temples, extinguished their fires and killed their priests, the Persians could no longer believe in the truth of their religion. So they converted to Nestorianism and Islam in large numbers.

Sikhism, amazingly, was spared this fate. After nearly going extinct, the Sikh faith started growing rapidly again, largely due to the efforts of the Singh Sabha movement. Somehow, Sikhs came to realise that the Khalsa was a higher truth than merely imperial power, that Khalsa Raj was not about arrogantly trying to hold dominion over the earth as the Maharajas tried to do.

Also, Sikhs started to emigrate in large numbers. Every instance of crisis and suffering in Panjab sends Sikhs moving out across the world in search of new lands. With the Sikhs in one place, it was possible for them to die out, either due to persecution or due to changing attitudes and social-economic trends. But with a large Sikh community all around the world, this is not an issue. The problems that affect Sikhs in India do not affect those in England directly. The threats to the Sikh identity in east Africa have no impact on those in America.

Sikh scholars and religious teachers are not dying out, there is plenty of piety left, it isn't all just pointless ritualism. Perhaps things are changing in a way that some don't particularly like (not going to get into sectarian debates here) but Sikhs are hardly suffering in the same way that Jews and Parsis are. The Parsis are nearly extinct, and the Jews are facing a massive demographic decline, orthodox practicing Jews are very hard to find. True, there are a large number of Sikhs with cut hair, and the percentage of Initiated Sikhs is low. But that will always be the case. It will not be possible to turn everybody into a Khalsa Sikh. In fact, not everybody is suited to living that life, and if everybody was a turban-wearing Sikh the faith would end up brought into disrepute and fall into ritualism.

Sikhism is a growing religion, despite the worries about it. It has all the qualities it needs to survive. That's not to say people should become complacent, but fear and pessimism are misplaced.

Ambarsaria

ੴ / Ik▫oaʼnkār
Writer
SPNer
Dec 21, 2010
AngloSikhPeace ji thanks for your post.

I agree with almost all in your post.

My pessimism and comments should have been qualified as to what I see in Punjab, India while I am myself not there. I had insights and visibility and some personal knowledge of 1984 goings on so I made my post. My comments are about the progressive demise of Sikh psyche in Punjab and the morally bankrupt leadership that community seems to keep putting its trust in. Akalis today are no different in tactics from congress in terms of bribery, land grabs, torture of innocents, bullying of the weak, drug trade and so on. There was this level of such overt activity carried out at the tail end of the 60s Kairon regime (Congress). He himself was an incredible visionary and Punjab would have been quite different had he survived another 20 years.

I specifically agree with your comments regarding Sikhism outside of India. But I also know instances where these charlatans from Punjab are starting to buy into Gurdwara franchises in the West including Canada by corrupting the Gurdwara committees, etc. Some of the operations and tactics outside of India appear at times to be similar to Akalis/Congress in India.

Sat Sri Akal.

Sherdil

Writer
SPNer
Jan 19, 2014
How much is a faith dependent on new converts? I feel that new initiates are in love with Sikhi like our ancestors were. Some of us born into Sikhi take our Guru for granted.

I see the decline of Parsis, Zoroastrians, and possibly Jews due to to the blending of faith and ethnicity. They have shot themselves in the foot by limiting their faith to an exclusive ethnic group. Sikhs shouldn't make that same mistake.

ActsOfGod

Writer
SPNer
Aug 13, 2012

It is true that there is a new phenomenon in the collective Sikh psyche that did not exist before. It is the "look what they did to us" sentiment, and the whole concept of seeking justice from the very Government that committed the atrocities against them. In all of Sikh history prior, this feeling or belief did not exist. Historically, Sikhs have been self-sufficient, a sovereign people who behaved with the self-governance you would expect from a free and just society. But since the 1980's, something very different has been happening in the minds of the majority of Sikhs.

Whole purpose of the holders of the reins in those times was to humiliate Sikhs and show the Hindu majority that it was OK to disrespect or treat Sikhs badly.

This is nothing new. Sikhs has been targets since day 1. They've always been targeted and attacked, disrespected, vilified, and persecuted. The only difference today, it seems, is that they (the Sikhs) are complaining about being the targets. Perhaps the difference is that in the 1600's or 1700's, nobody expected fair treatment, because complaining wouldn't have helped, and so they just saw the injustice and got on with their lives. They did what they had to do, and in fact they became the very linchpin to turn the tide of history against injustice and tyranny. Not only did they establish themselves as a force to be reckoned with, but they also protected others who were downtrodden. They were the front-lines, and they knew it. The non-Sikh historians of the day looked to the Sikhs as examples of models for fighting oppression and tyranny.

Today, the Sikhs have been transformed into just another group of people complaining about being persecuted and organizing protests for justice from corrupt governments. They are the ones who need the help, not the ones who can help themselves and others. There is a vast difference in psychology and mental state between the two.

Beginning of the end of Sikhism of our Guru ji started from that point on in vengeance. There are plenty of SIkhs around who are party to the continuous annihilation of Sikhism so that it be absorbed back into Hinduism.

It's interesting whenever people predict the demise of Sikhi. It has been said many, many, many times in history. In addition, so many people have declared and sworn that they would annihilate the Sikhs, wipe out Sikh from the face of the Earth, etc. etc. The Sikhs themselves have also taken to predicting the "end of Sikhism", as Ambarsaria did above.

Sikhs historically where never interested in revenge. However, it is to be noted that they are very interested in justice. And they are prepared to go to any lengths, and pay any price, for justice. And they have paid heavily. Throughout history. British historians write that "these are a people whose history is written in blood." Sikhs are not a bloodthirsty or war-mongering people. But they will defend what is right and they will fight for justice. This is something that is ingrained in them.

What's interesting about the above comment by Ambarsaria is the mental defeat that is going on. He (presumably a Sikh himself) has already given up, perhaps feeling depressed by all the negativity he is observing, and feeling hopeless. I would submit that this is the real defeat. Not all the facts and opinions about the numbers of Sikhs dwindling, or being absorbed back into the fold of Hinduism, etc. etc. Why would you, as a Sikh, be even concerned about that? Besides, we know from our own history that it's not numbers that matter. It's all about quality, not quantity. In every single one of the battles fought by the 10th King, he was outnumbered. And yet, he was victorious.

Perhaps the more important thing to focus on, rather than the number of Sikhs left in the world, is the quality of Sikhs left in the world.

Yes, there are such people, as they were 100 years ago, 200 years ago, 300 years ago. There are Sikhs who betrayed the Guru and the Guru's family. They existed back then, they exist now. Again, it's nothing new.

Rather than focus on what others are doing, and how they are failing, perhaps we should look at ourselves, and see how we are failing. Dear brother, you have lost hope. And faith. There is a common refrain among Sikhs that says that the seed planted the 1st King will always flourish, as it has been ordained by the Almighty Creator Himself. And so whatever the Lord wills, must happen. No force in the Universe can stop it. And if it was the Lord's will that Guru Nanak Sahib establish Sikhi, then it will be so and it will never be destroyed. Empires will come and go (and they have), but Sikhi will remain. Where is that firm conviction, that unshakable confidence in you? I don't sense it at all.

There is a song which talks about this. Perhaps you have heard it before, perhaps you have forgotten the message. I will paste the link here and the English translation at the end. My plea to you is to remember who you are.

http://youtu.be/TdC-sHSa0Q0

Sat Sri Akal.

Ambarsaria Ji, do you know that "Sat Sri Akal" is the battle-cry of the Sikhs? It is a sad irony that you wrote "I see no future" followed by a battle-cry. Think about it.

It begins with us. Let us educate ourselves. And improve ourselves. Then we can inspire and educate others. Perhaps those who are on the path you described above, will take inspiration from you, and will mend their ways, and then they will become examples for others, and etc. It begins with us.

If there is at least 1 (just ONE) person who is a devout Gursikh in the world, then that is enough. It all begins with 1. We know it all begins with 1.

AoG

What kind of plant is that? Which grows everywhere?
[It grows] on the teeth of big saws, and on the sharp edges of short handled hoe. [used for scalping Sikhs ]
[ grows] in Khyber Pass, waves of Sarsa
[grows] on the Satluj shore, in the Lakhi Jungle
[grows]in drought, in barren land.
[grows] in the wall foundations of Sarhand
Wherever we may plant it, it grows there!
The more we prune it the more it expands!
What kind of plant is that?
Which feeds fruits to hungry and thirsty.
Which shades tired and broken.
It saves whoever seeks protection.
If storm or dust storm come
or Abdali or Nadar come
[then] to innocent magpies
to guiltless sparrows, to guiltless doves
to flocks of geeses, to flocks of geese
It immediately hides. It puts them in its nest.
AND becomes a protector. And becomes a protector.
Its feet are on ground but itself is very high.
jail rooms, chains, handcuffs
these hanging ropes, egos of rulers
jwgIrW dy ckmy, srdwrI dy qgmy,
illusions of lordships, medals of leadership
world?s narrowheartness, divisions and rivalry
misleadings, indulging in desires, girls of JHUNG [ pretty girls]
ARE lower than its knees and ankles.

Wherever is its heart, wherever is its head
That place is high, that is in open air.
That is in pure environment . That is in God.
Where there is no enmity. Where there is no stranger.

So what if? So what if?
Today its branches and its shoots
have split up or cracked away from eachother.
Some went to east and some went to west.
Some went to PINDI and some to BHAINI
BUT the trunk is one. But the blood is shared.
This is the plant of Sikhi!
Which grows everywhere!

TigerStyleZ

SPNer
Mar 30, 2011
Germany
That was truly an Act of God that was put into writing 0:)

Seriously, thanks!

And here is a great Video and great speech summing this up! We are not "barking" to any Government we are just choosing to take the most pacifist way agains injustice.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PxR4ZGBZtAc?list=FLQl72uVtInMT2PIN3hpmVzA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxR4ZGBZtAc&index=3&list=FLQl72uVtInMT2PIN3hpmVzA

Last edited:

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

❤️ CLICK HERE TO JOIN SPN MOBILE PLATFORM

📌 For all latest updates, follow the Official Sikh Philosophy Network Whatsapp Channel: