Welcome to SPN

Register and Join the most happening forum of Sikh community & intellectuals from around the world.

Sikh Converts Marriage

Discussion in 'Sikh Sikhi Sikhism' started by born2wonder, Aug 29, 2009.

1. born2wonder

born2wonder
    Expand Collapse
    SPNer

I know sikh marriage ceremonies are very family based but what would happen in this situation.

A sikh convert (someone who has converted to sikhi) was going to get married and his family (Including his Parents) said O.K but none of them want to go to the ceremony.
    This would obvisiously be quite embrassing for him so what do you think should be done .

• Like Like x 1
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Sikh Converts and Marriage New to Sikhism Jul 26, 2010
    Sikh Converts and The Challenges They Face Hard Talk May 23, 2010
    Converts to Sikhi: The Challenges They Face New to Sikhism Nov 10, 2009
    Islam Muslim Converts to Sikhism Interfaith Dialogues Mar 16, 2008
    Meeting Other New Converts 2 Sikhi New to Sikhism Aug 24, 2007

3. Randip Singh

Randip Singh
    Expand Collapse
    SPN Sewadaar
    Historian SPNer Supporter

I think the whole point of the Sikh marriage is that you openly, infront of everyone (family, friends, community and God) declare you are going to spend your life with this person.

If the people getting married are willing to do this and get married, and relatives do not wish to attend, the declaration is still valid, as the intention of the couple was to declare their vows openly.

I would say that is fine.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Mai Harinder Kaur

Mai Harinder Kaur
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor Writer SPNer

As for the embarrassment, I think he should be sure to invite all his friends, especially those who are "like family" to be a surrogate family for him. :happy:

Sikh celebrations always involve family, so if his birth family is uncooperative, I would suggest he get busy starting his own!:whisling:

Forget those dolts who won't attend. :u): They'll never know what they're missing!

Chardi kala!

:ice:

• Like Like x 1
  5. spnadmin

spnadmin United States
    Expand Collapse
    1947-2014 (Archived)
    SPNer Supporter

:aagree: Such good advice. There is a saying - When life has handed you lemons, then make lemonade.

Create and transform life's sour part into something truly better. Lemonade - cool, refreshing, sweet, you can even include a few sprigs of mint.

During May and June there are weddings broadcast as part of the Sikhnet Sunday Gurdwara Service -- and many of the sangat are converts. So some of the brides and some of the bridegrooms have no family there and I have seen half the sangat stand for them during the laavan.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mai Harinder Kaur

Mai Harinder Kaur
    Expand Collapse
    Mentor Writer SPNer

And to complete things, plant the seeds, so you'll have that cool, refreshing lemonade for years to come!

• Like Like x 3